DUI Convictions and Vehicle Registrations - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Traffic Violations Advice Corner Got screwed lately? Get advise from others that dealt with it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

DUI Convictions and Vehicle Registrations

All,

My dumb a$$ father got his 2nd DUI last summer and its finally playing out in court (Montgomery, IL).

Well, to make a long story short I'm never sure what he's telling me is the truth. He's also a bit of a numbskull so maybe he doesn't know the facts.

He lost his license for a year or more and had just bought a brand new car. So he moved from Montgomery to Chicago so he could take the train and be closer to me.

I also had an open space in my garage where I've been storing his car. So today he calls me and says that the charges would be elevated to a misdimenor (sp?) unless he turns in the license plates and transfers title or something weird I don't understand.

So while I was storing the car in the garage he said I could use it which I've been doing about once a month. He now tells me that I need to get my own plates and insurance.

This is contrary to what his State Farm agent told him because I had him ask his agent if I would be insured under his policy and they said it was OK.

So does anyone know about this stuff? I don't want to register the car because its a pain and I never use it. What I question is that the state of IL makes you turn in the plates and cancel your insurance.

I mean cant you be a car collector and register the car with the state and not drive it? My dad tells me that its illegal for him to have active plates with his DUI. Makes no sense to me but then I don't know what the state is telling him.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I am guessig he doesnt want to pay for the insurance on it and is telling you a story. I have never heard that before.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

No he's always said he will pay the insurance in exchange for the storage fees.

I'm guessing he has his head wayyyyyy up his a$$.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
if he tghinks its a huge problem just have him sign the vehicle over to you. then just throw storage insurance on it, very cheap.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 05:07 PM
Puppy Love!

Sportbike: 05' Gixxer 6
Years Riding: Grew up in the dirt, going on my 7th season on the street..
How you found us: Homer Simpson

Send a message via AIM to Gixx Send a message via Yahoo to Gixx
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibeemer
My dad tells me that its illegal for him to have active plates with his DUI. Makes no sense to me but then I don't know what the state is telling him.
Makes no sense to me at all...never heard of this, and I've had MANY friends get 1 and even 2 DUIs and they have never had to do this....I'm sure more people will have more information for you though.

KJ

Quote:
I'm here to chew some bubble gum, and kick some ass.......and I'm all out of bubblegum!!
MySpace
XBox Live - Gixx009
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

I didn't want anything to do with the whole situation but then some idiot t-boned my car so it just made sense at some level to use his car. Now its becoming this whole pain because my old plates are trashed so I'd have to pay to register it myself.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 05:16 PM
Naperthrill Drama major

Sportbike: rc51... i like twins.
Years Riding: since i was like 5
How you found us: kc50

then just pay it? 78.00? do you need a loan?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Its not that as much as it is dealing with my dad. I'm really not looking for your monetary opinion as much as I am your knowledge of this situation.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 06:16 PM
Wild slide rule roots

Sportbike: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R, yel/blk (Street) & '04 GSXR750 (Track)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: Got the link through NESBA

Quote:
I also had an open space in my garage where I've been storing his car. So today he calls me and says that the charges would be elevated to a misdimenor (sp?) unless he turns in the license plates and transfers title or something weird I don't understand.
It sounds like his plates were suspended by the state on account of the second DUI. I don't see anything in the DUI law that allows that, but I haven't searched very thoroughly, either. It is a misdemeanor to fail to turn in your plates and registration card when your plates are suspended, according to the law. Chances are that his insurance has either been cancelled due to the suspension of his plates, or due to the DUI, or some of both.

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
Jabber/Google Talk: [email protected]
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 08:23 AM
vroom vroom

Sportbike: '05 Z750S
Years Riding: 10 yrs
How you found us: Katanaplanet

I believe that they do suspend the plates for an actual DUI conviction. Someone I know learned that in one of the DUI classes, and was very worried about it. What they didn't explain is that if you get court supervision, the plates aren't suspended. Anyway, with a second DUI it is quite possible his plates were suspended.

-Mike
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 09:48 AM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

I would say he has also had his license revoked. No drivey for 5+ years......
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Wow, I'm lucky I'm not using the car like he asked. If I was pulled over I'd be screwed. And I talked to his State Farm agent about my coverage a few months ago and he said I was OK.

So I talked to my dad again last night and he told me this suspension might last up to 3 years! I think I'm going to tell him he should sell the car to pay for his legal defense fund as I have no interest in getting a ticket or the insurance liability concerns that may be attached to his situation.

He could sell me the car for $1 or transfer title to me but then its not the car I want to be driving.

My next question is does anyone know a decent DUI lawyer in Chicago (off Blue Line) or in Montgomery? His current guy fails to show up at court and he also used him for his home sale and the idiot didn't show up for that either.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 10:12 AM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

Second DUI conviction is a revoked license. 5 years for sure. Not the same as a suspension, lots more hoops to jump through to get it back. I would have him sell the car for sure, it'll be worthless when he can drive again. If he can afford the insurance.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 08:05 AM

Sportbike: 13 rmz 450 2012 Street Glide
Years Riding: Long time
How you found us: Baldor

Second DUI conviction is a revoked license. 5 years for sure. Not the same as a suspension, lots more hoops to jump through to get it back. I would have him sell the car for sure, it'll be worthless when he can drive again. If he can afford the insurance.

Everyones different my buddy has 3 dui and only lost his license for 3 years
The seond one was 2 years of no driving and one year of work permit and thats in cook county if you get a good enough layer youll be ok from the sound of things
John
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Echo?

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 09:27 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Hell if it's a free car why not? Even if you transfer to your name the taxes are cheaper because it's a family member no matter the cost of buying the car. I wanna say like $25 or something cheap like that. Then in 3 years if he wants back then transfer back to him. The only killer might be for the insurance on it under your name??

Otherwise yea sell for his legal fees.

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 06:13 PM
Wild slide rule roots

Sportbike: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R, yel/blk (Street) & '04 GSXR750 (Track)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: Got the link through NESBA

Quote:
So I talked to my dad again last night and he told me this suspension might last up to 3 years! I think I'm going to tell him he should sell the car to pay for his legal defense fund as I have no interest in getting a ticket or the insurance liability concerns that may be attached to his situation.

He could sell me the car for $1 or transfer title to me but then its not the car I want to be driving.
You probably won't get a ticket if the car's not registered: there's no law requiring either that you register, or that you carry insurance if you aren't registered. About the worst that could happen would be to get a housing code violation for having an unregistered car on property.

Why wouldn't you want to drive that car? As long as your record's OK, it's not like the plate suspension will transfer to you. Besides, it's good for the car to be driven periodically.

Quote:
My next question is does anyone know a decent DUI lawyer in Chicago (off Blue Line) or in Montgomery? His current guy fails to show up at court and he also used him for his home sale and the idiot didn't show up for that either.
Visit the Chicago Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service Web site, or call (312) 554-2001. While he's at it, he may want to file a complaint against the guy who's representing him now. Not showing up for court once is bad enough, but twice is just flat-out malpractice.

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
Jabber/Google Talk: [email protected]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode