felony? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Traffic Violations Advice Corner Got screwed lately? Get advise from others that dealt with it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

felony?

Not that I have been caught or NEthing, but I heard that as of the new yr (2006); it is now a felony to do a wheelie ?!?!?!?!?!??????? I don't hold high regaurd to the source of this (seeing as this idiot does not even know how to ride let alone own a bike), I just wanted to know if anyone else has heard anything about this !?!?!?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 08:52 AM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

I can't see anyone taking a trip to PMITA prison because they got a little too much throttle. On the other hand, multi-mile wheelies above the speed limit could extend beyond reckless operation and get into that territory... Not sure how they'd draw the line on that.

Thankfully I can't wheelie so this doesn't concern me much. As a whole though, I agree with your assessment: Your friend is an idiot.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

I have heard a bunch of (in my eyes) "rumors" on "new" laws. Including the wheelies being a felony now. Other than that one I have heard driving while ur licnense is suspended is also becoming a felony?!?!????
idk, some of this would not portain to me NEway. Honestly the whole wheelie thing doesnt entirely apply to me,,,, *YET* since this was the year I was going to attempt to get away from the high speeds (on public highways NEway) and start goin' for some wheelie/stunt action that's one reason I figure I should re-assure myself a simple wheelie has not become a felony, seeing as I would NOT pay to be in a "closed course" to practice wheelies!!!
about the only one I know that went into effect was the smoking one in chicago, that I heard about in the news (and I don't even know the specifics on that one, nor do I really care since I quit smoking cigarettes almost a month ago)
TY for the input, look foreward for more input!!! if anyone has any more details please let me know !!! greatly appreciate it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:41 AM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few
How you found us: SBN

See item (c) below. I don't know if this is law or they were just trying to change it to this.
EDIT: Looks like this was ammended and this is law
EDIT: The aggrivated reckless driving is probally only used for people who run from the cops. You probally wouldn't get that for wheelies, (but you could), unless you have a long and shitty driving record

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publ...682&print=true

Public Act 093-0682

HB4006 Enrolled LRB093 16016 WGH 41640 b

AN ACT concerning vehicular offenses.

Be it enacted by the People of the State of Illinois,
represented in the General Assembly:

Section 5. The Illinois Vehicle Code is amended by changing
Section 11-503 as follows:

(625 ILCS 5/11-503) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11-503)
Sec. 11-503. Reckless driving; aggravated reckless
driving.
(a) A Any person commits reckless driving if he or she:
(1) who drives any vehicle with a willful or wanton
disregard for the safety of persons or property; or
(2) knowingly drives a vehicle and uses an incline in a
roadway, such as a railroad crossing, bridge approach, or
hill, to cause the vehicle to become airborne is guilty of
reckless driving.
(b) Every person convicted of reckless driving shall be
guilty of a Class A misdemeanor, except as provided under
subsection (c) of this Section.
(c) Every person convicted of committing a violation of
subsection (a) shall be guilty of aggravated reckless driving
if the violation results in great bodily harm or permanent
disability or disfigurement to another. Aggravated reckless
driving is a Class 4 felony.
(Source: P.A. 88-679, eff. 7-1-95.)

Eric

Last edited by Maynard; 01-17-2006 at 09:51 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 10:41 AM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

If you're doing anything at 20 MPH over the speed limit, in Ohio, it's reckless operation of a motor vehicle. That's the lowest level of felony, or, class 5. No jail time typically but, it could result in a suspended license.

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 10:43 AM
I'm a blessed man

Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Sportbikes.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxR1000_guy
since this was the year I was going to attempt to get away from the high speeds (on public highways NEway)
Considered a track day? You got the bike for it.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 11:07 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Umhummm... no wheelies at track day, however. (acceleration wheelies acceptable... not intentional ones)

However, nice bike, get it on the track with us!!

http://www.nesba.com Free Intro Day...

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Hmm.. .No felony unless:

"if the violation results in great bodily harm or permanent
disability or disfigurement to another."

Then you can poentially get pounded in the *AHEM*

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 02:11 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Cops are notorious for spreading rumors for stuff like this to change roadway tendencies...like the 'ole rumor about gang members targeting people that flash their lights to warn others of hidden radar cops...some think it was all started by the fuzz in an attempt to stop people from giving them away.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

I've been thinkin' about some track days... Only I heard it can get quite costly [and I am a broke @$$ and all ]
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 08:48 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
I've been thinkin' about some track days... Only I heard it can get quite costly [and I am a broke @$$ and all ]

Seems like you have 3 bikes... sell one and that'll finance trackdays for the year.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 09:00 AM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

More more costly than a fine for a minor felony and court costs.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

well as far as wheelies, I wouldnt even feel the urge at a track. I would be having too much fun rippin shit up!!! and as far as the speed at the track, wouldnt even honestly matter to me, as long as I was hittin those turns as fast as my riding ability would allow me to; I would be having fun! now on the street on the other hand, I don't like speed limits and laws telling me I have to keep my front wheel on the ground!!! riding the posted speed limit with both wheels on the groud is juss bloody boring!!! that's pretty much my thought process! for me to STOP doing around 195 MPH on public highways, because if I got caught doin' 195 (or NEthing even close) I am damn near 100% likely to lose my bike AND go to jail! I would rather STOP that shit and start doin' wheelies and other stunts and shit on public roads (I didnt say "in traffic"), and start doing track days for speeds/twisties But if I cant afford that I will juss stick to my wheelies and stunts on those nice little "semi-abandonded" roads, and industrial areas (that are notorious for stuntin')! either way I need to find something that will work for me all around, something that

A) will keep me the hell OUT OF JAIL, and from LOSING my BYKE!

B) something that I can afford; whether it be the $75 on the street for doing wheelies (or other "ticketable" stunts), and/or the $????.?? for going to the track (membership)
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Wild slide rule roots

Sportbike: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R, yel/blk (Street) & '04 GSXR750 (Track)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: Got the link through NESBA

Quote:
well as far as wheelies, I wouldnt even feel the urge at a track. I would be having too much fun rippin shit up!!! and as far as the speed at the track, wouldnt even honestly matter to me, as long as I was hittin those turns as fast as my riding ability would allow me to; I would be having fun! now on the street on the other hand, I don't like speed limits and laws telling me I have to keep my front wheel on the ground!!! riding the posted speed limit with both wheels on the groud is juss bloody boring!!! that's pretty much my thought process! for me to STOP doing around 195 MPH on public highways, because if I got caught doin' 195 (or NEthing even close) I am damn near 100% likely to lose my bike AND go to jail! I would rather STOP that shit and start doin' wheelies and other stunts and shit on public roads (I didnt say "in traffic"), and start doing track days for speeds/twisties But if I cant afford that I will juss stick to my wheelies and stunts on those nice little "semi-abandonded" roads, and industrial areas (that are notorious for stuntin')! either way I need to find something that will work for me all around, something that

A) will keep me the hell OUT OF JAIL, and from LOSING my BYKE!

B) something that I can afford; whether it be the $75 on the street for doing wheelies (or other "ticketable" stunts), and/or the $????.?? for going to the track (membership)
Sensible enough.

First of all, it is a specific offense in Illinois to pull a wheelie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The IL General Assembly
(625 ILCS 5/11-1403.2) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11-1403.2)
Sec. 11-1403.2. No person shall operate a motorcycle, motor driven cycle, or motorized pedalcycle on one wheel.
(Source: P.A. 85-830.)
Note: NOT a felony, but a traffic offense and, as you already seem to know, a $75 ticket. It would take some work to get a reckless driving charge out of a wheelie, but then, there are people who can manage it. Best not to be one of them. (Hint #1: Don't get out of control. Hint #2: Traffic laws are mostly--not always--enforcable only on public roads.)

Now, as for being able to afford it: NESBA membership is $75 per year, and events generally run from $130-175 per day. That's real money, true, but so are traffic tickets. So is getting your insurance premiums jacked up because you have too many tickets. So is having to spend the day in court dealing with your tickets. You get the picture. Besides which, they can help you go faster, better. (Besides THAT, it's a hell of a fun group to hang with, but that's a subject for elsewhere.)

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
Jabber/Google Talk: [email protected]
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for all for the insight. I think it will effect my decisions in the future. I think I am going to stick to "sensible" "street riding", as far as being able to "have fun" on my ride I will stick to wheelies ,&/o other "stunts" (and that will mainly be on desolite roads, and industrial areas). It is also highly probable that I will give the track a shot!

So,,, Wink. You are a NESBA member, and frequent the tracks???
Quote:
Oringinally Posted By Wink
However, nice bike, get it on the track with us!!

http://www.nesba.com Free Intro Day...
I think I may have to try out the free intro day (after reading about it, thank you)! I also notice that you live in the same general region as myself, and possibly I could attempt to arrange on going to the track on one of the days you'd be going! Let me know what you think of that. Perhaps we could arrange a day to "hang out" talk about things in person, and take a ride somewhere...Let me know whatchya think
Shawn
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 07:20 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
There are a lot of us that are NESBA members. You've got a very good chance of hooking up with one of us for a ride to a trackday. I look forward to seeing out this season.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerkMX
Cops are notorious for spreading rumors for stuff like this to change roadway tendencies...like the 'ole rumor about gang members targeting people that flash their lights to warn others of hidden radar cops...some think it was all started by the fuzz in an attempt to stop people from giving them away.

I thought people did that because i forgot to turn on my daytime running lights.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 04:45 AM

I think it depends on how the ticket is worded too. The cop can just write "reckless operation..." That is a higher fine than writing "operating a motorcycle on one wheel." I know someone who has gotten a few tickets for that offense.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 07:14 PM
Wild slide rule roots

Sportbike: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R, yel/blk (Street) & '04 GSXR750 (Track)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: Got the link through NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy600
I think it depends on how the ticket is worded too. The cop can just write "reckless operation..." That is a higher fine than writing "operating a motorcycle on one wheel." I know someone who has gotten a few tickets for that offense.
In Illinois, at least, it's more than just a higher fine, it's a more serious offense, a misdemeanor or felony. You can go to jail for a misdemeanor, though that's not common for reckless driving, but you can't go to jail for a petty offense. OOOW is a petty offense (at least the first two times you're caught).

It's more than just how the ticket is worded, though. They have to charge you with violating some specific section of the law, and for that purpose they generally have to cite the specific code section you're being charged under. So, while they could specifically charge under the reckless operation statute, they would then have to follow through on that.

Practically speaking, that means they would have to prove that you not only pulled a wheelie, but that you did it in a particularly reckless fashion. The theory here is that pulling a wheelie is not, on its own, reckless driving, because there is a separate law against that, and the legislature wouldn't bother to outlaw the same thing twice.

It doesn't mean you're in the clear if they can't prove recklessness, though. If they prove OOOW without recklessness, you can usually still be convicted of that instead, but in that case it's still just a traffic ticket and not a misdemeanor charge.

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
Jabber/Google Talk: [email protected]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode