Parking ticket help. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Traffic Violations Advice Corner Got screwed lately? Get advise from others that dealt with it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Parking ticket help.

I've got my moms car at the moment at my house. It was parked on the street, however the spaces and the land they sit on are the property of the association. The ticket was for expired plates and the car has actually been sitting there from the time that the plates expired. So it's never been even operated on a public road to get into that spot. Am I correct in thinking that I can get this ticket dismissed? I know that if the car was parked in my driveway I could not get a ticket, but would the associations private spots work the same way? My guess is that the fact that the car color being wrong, along with there being typos on the actual printed ticket itself would not help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY
I've got my moms car at the moment at my house. It was parked on the street, however the spaces and the land they sit on are the property of the association. The ticket was for expired plates and the car has actually been sitting there from the time that the plates expired. So it's never been even operated on a public road to get into that spot. Am I correct in thinking that I can get this ticket dismissed? I know that if the car was parked in my driveway I could not get a ticket, but would the associations private spots work the same way? My guess is that the fact that the car color being wrong, along with there being typos on the actual printed ticket itself would not help?
You can try Biggy, but I doubt it will help. I had a similar incedent happen to me when I was at school in Champain, IL. I actually had the new plate sticker, but I said no need to run out and put it on the car if I'm not drining it. I went to go to class and saw a ticket on the window. I took it to the DMV and told them "Look, I have the plate sticker, here's the envelope it came in, I wasn't driving it on the street". The lady looked at me and said "It should have been on the car, if it is parked on the street, it can be ticketed for expired plates" I was pissed and had to pay for a ticket for a plate sticker I already had. I've learned my leason, if it is close to the end of the month, I will go outside and put the damn sticker on, or in your case, keep it on your own private property.

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBD
You can try Biggy, but I doubt it will help. I had a similar incedent happen to me when I was at school in Champain, IL. I actually had the new plate sticker, but I said no need to run out and put it on the car if I'm not drining it. I went to go to class and saw a ticket on the window. I took it to the DMV and told them "Look, I have the plate sticker, here's the envelope it came in, I wasn't driving it on the street". The lady looked at me and said "It should have been on the car, if it is parked on the street, it can be ticketed for expired plates" I was pissed and had to pay for a ticket for a plate sticker I already had. I've learned my leason, if it is close to the end of the month, I will go outside and put the damn sticker on, or in your case, keep it on your own private property.
But that spot is private property. The association tows cars all the time from them. It's gotta be one or the other, no? We pay our assesment for those spots and they are only plowed by our association trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 12:22 PM
Fear is the mind killer

I hope that is the case and it is proven that that area is in no way public property. Plus, they may use the excuse that you have have to go to the DMV and change the status of the title of the vehicle to inoperable in order to get away from the expired plates charge.

Xbox Live GOW Killer

Quote:
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 09:07 PM
Wild slide rule roots

Sportbike: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R, yel/blk (Street) & '04 GSXR750 (Track)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: Got the link through NESBA

Check with the association. It's possible that they've arranged for the local police to patrol the lot and ticket abandoned cars, as a way to help get them out of the lot faster (or whatever the reason is).

If they have made that arrangement, you probably can't get out of the ticket.

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
Jabber/Google Talk: [email protected]
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

I say fight it, request a court hearing. Some judges, sometimes based on the effort of going to court, will be more than happy to dismiss the charges.

I forgot about my plate sticker and got a ticket recently, got the sticker a few days later and requested a court hearing. Showed the judge the paperwork and he let me off.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrand
Check with the association. It's possible that they've arranged for the local police to patrol the lot and ticket abandoned cars, as a way to help get them out of the lot faster (or whatever the reason is).

If they have made that arrangement, you probably can't get out of the ticket.
I spoke with the secretary...he didn't really know. He just thought the police can ticket if they see a car even in a driveway. I really really doubt that they have any agreements since the police are not allowed into the bigger lots. I'm going to go request a court date tomorrow. I know it's only $20, but hopefully it keeps the cop from ticketing any more cars in those spots.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBD
I hope that is the case and it is proven that that area is in no way public property. Plus, they may use the excuse that you have have to go to the DMV and change the status of the title of the vehicle to inoperable in order to get away from the expired plates charge.
As long as that vehicle never touches the street, I never have to get a new sticker for it. I can drive it back and forth in my own driveway till I pass out. Reason I know this is because I had a car once which sat for almost a year...the DMV wanted to charge me for 2 years of stickers, but you can sign an affidavit which swears that vehicle has not been in use on public property at all...then the fee will be waived.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 12:17 AM

if the plates are expired then they can give you a ticket if its in your yard especially when you live in chicago. they give tickets for just about everything. walter jacobson on fox just caught the city of chicago giving people tickets when they werent even at the time of place of the crime.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 12:20 AM
Fear is the mind killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY
As long as that vehicle never touches the street, I never have to get a new sticker for it. I can drive it back and forth in my own driveway till I pass out.

I am picturing someone riding a beater up and down a driveway infront of a cop.

Xbox Live GOW Killer

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode