Got tagged for 39 mph over the limit. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Traffic Violations Advice Corner Got screwed lately? Get advise from others that dealt with it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
BIKE THIEVES ARE PU$$IES!

Sportbike: none
Years Riding: 6
How you found us: google, a long long time ago

Got tagged for 39 mph over the limit.

What is the fine for that. State trooper got me. I realize that I got lucky and didn't get arrested for 40 over, but I just got the ticket and a must appear. I have no tickets for the last 4 years. Think I can get supervision, and not get chewed at in court by the judge, or is this one going on my record because its so close to the class A misdemeanor?? Any ideas??

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 12:38 AM
Don't stare for too long

Sportbike: 2 Wheels and an engine
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: ?

94 or 104? That's quite a speed to get tagged at.. Time to get a good lawyer I think.

Where did this happen?
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 12:47 AM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

I hope it was at least a 55mph highway, or you better run out and get some

And no lectures from me, I've done the same shit...I just didn't get caught.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 02:28 AM
Curb your dogma.

Sportbike: another Honda:)
Years Riding: little while now....
How you found us: BusaDave

You are lucky you were not 41+ over or you would have gone to jail. This happened to me last Oct. I can personally guarantee you that if you go in w/o an attorney you will have NO chance of getting supervision. If your record is as good as you say it is and you go in w/ a decent attorney you should have little problem getting supervision. Make sure you retain an attorney that usually works in the same courthouse that you have to go to. It would be a disadvantage for you to go in w/ an attorney that the local prosecutor is not familiar with.
This one is going to cost you as there will be an additional fine above the cost of the ticket; you got caught and now you have to play the game. My situation cost me 1K and 20 hours of community service after all was said and done. I would guess that you will be hit w/ a fine of about 300 to 500 + traffic school + the cost of the ticket to get supervision.
Anybody here who talks shit to you about this can eat a dick. Almost all who are here have done triple digit runs at one time or another, it is just that they haven't been caught doing it (although some of us have).
The lesson you should take from this is that running at these speeds is not worth losing your privelidge to ride. If you get caught doing it again you will most likely lose your license and worse, your insurance costs could go up to the point that it will be difficult to afford keeping your bike insured.
Good luck bro and keep the record clean for at least a year after your court date. If you can do this you should be fine.

"Cr-Cr-Cr-Crambone!!"
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 03:25 AM
Slower Traffic Keep Right

Sportbike: '06 Suzuki GSXR-750 (Track); '11 HD Electra Glide (Road Sofa)
Years Riding: 30+ yrs total
How you found us: A friend at NESBA

Good luck to you...you've got my sympathies

I'm just glad I didn't get nailed for my 120 mph over when I had the Busa It could be worse

Midwest Track Day CR #130
NESBA 130-Control Rider (Former Midwest Region)
STT "A" 130
Track: 2006 GSXR-750
Street: 2011 H-D Ultra Limited (Road Sofa)

www.MidwestTrackDay.com / www.MidwestTrackDay.motorsportreg.com / www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6419.png
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 03:26 AM
who...me???

Sportbike: 05 katana 750
Years Riding: mmmm many
How you found us: wingit

Send a message via AIM to blueyes34 Send a message via Yahoo to blueyes34
I got one for 90 in a 45 in rockdale on a permit by myself when I first got my bike. I just went up to the prosecutor and told him I didn't have anything on my record and asked if there was any way I could get supervision. he gave it to me with a $200 fine. I know that might have been luck but it is possible. it would be much better with an attorney though. good luck

if it feels good....DO IT!!!
shauna

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger....and it's usually pretty damn fun too

"If ur gonna ride my ass...at least pull my hair"-StreetChic
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 03:37 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: '04ZX-10R, some YSRs
Years Riding: legally since '86
How you found us: sbn

Garage
had one for 93 in a 55. I thought I was dead because the judge chewed out the girl before me who was only 20 over. Then I walk up there with long ass hair and after missing the first court date, oops. I got supervision with 8 hour school but no lectures or problems. Like blueyes said, maybe I was lucky also.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
--Dr. Seuss
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 05:52 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Last year when I was tagged for 124 in a 50, I got a $250 fine, a year supervision, but my wife's lawyer, knew the prosecutor and the judge. I would definetely lawyer up on this one. Especially with the Gestapo type tatics the police all over the country are using to catch those criminals not wearing seat belts!

You didn't happen to get this performance reward this weekend? Holiday weekends are the worse for traffic enforcement.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 10:17 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Ditto getting a lawyer for that much over, or take your chances and talk to the prosecutor and if all else fails ask for another court date and then bring a lawyer. I had to do that 2 yrs ago

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!

Last edited by CHeYeNNe; 05-29-2006 at 12:08 PM.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 11:34 AM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Yeah, go in by yourself first, if ya about to get screwed ask for continuance and bring a lawyer than. I've gotten off multiple 20+, 30+ tickets without an attorney. Remember, they don't wanna be in court all day any more than you do.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

It was 94 in a 55 on elgin-o'hare. I was gonna go in there and ask for supervision. Will having a lawyer matter if you plead guilty? I can see having one if I was going for not guilty.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 12:19 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

get a lawyer, the whole thing might run you close to 1000.00

or take your chances, and risk loosing your license.

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

This was just a ticket. The reason it was written for 94 in a 55 was so i didn't get a class A misdemeanor, so the trooper said. Its just a speeding ticket. I can't loose my license for that. I have no other tickets for a long time either on my record. The only thing i am worried about is this ticket going on my record and having my insurance go up. I just want supervision. If I need a lawyer to get supervision on a speeding ticket, then something is really fucked up with our judicial system.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 12:46 PM
YO MAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian929RR
This was just a ticket. The reason it was written for 94 in a 55 was so i didn't get a class A misdemeanor, so the trooper said. Its just a speeding ticket. I can't loose my license for that. I have no other tickets for a long time either on my record. The only thing i am worried about is this ticket going on my record and having my insurance go up. I just want supervision. If I need a lawyer to get supervision on a speeding ticket, then something is really fucked up with our judicial system.

is this bald headed brian that had the yellow 929 wanting to be a cop?

am i talking to the guy i know?

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Nope. I had an erion 929.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 12:59 PM
[Online]

Sportbike: Multistrada 1100S; CBR600RR
Years Riding: Since 2004
How you found us: CRR

You're right, you don't need a lawyer to get supervision or do just about anything. Theoretically. Practically, a lot will depend on unrelated things - like whether or not a judge has a PMS or DAs coffee was good in the morning. Yes, this is fucked up. Yes, they're people just like us.

Why worry about the judicial system being fucked up, worry about it fucking you over.

Getting a lawyer improves your chances of getting off the hook tremendously, simply because a lawyer is likely to know a judge and a DA very well. And potentially saves you a lot of money. Search on the Internet, even 26 over can get you in a lot of trouble, if a judge/DA decide to make a fine example from you. If you come in with a lawyer, they won't do it, they will simply look for the easier target.

So, what are we talking about here - $100-200 to pay a lawyer for the court appearance? This is like a cheap insurance, shouldn't even be a question, just get a lawyer!
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Good advice, I think I found one for like $125 for a speeding ticket. I'll have to wait to call until tuesday, but hopefully it wont be an issue. My court date isn't until july, so I got a little time.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 01:44 PM
YO MAMA

yep, make sure you price shop lawyers

good luck man, and i suggest slowing your ass down.

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 01:46 PM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Especially on a holiday weekend!!

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 02:40 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys
yep, make sure you price shop lawyers
Walmart. Always low prices. Always.
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 12:47 AM
Cali's Twisty Tamer

Sportbike: '96 CBR F3
Years Riding: since 98
How you found us: met at Strat's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phily-D
You are lucky you were not 41+ over or you would have gone to jail. This happened to me last Oct. I can personally guarantee you that if you go in w/o an attorney you will have NO chance of getting supervision. If your record is as good as you say it is and you go in w/ a decent attorney you should have little problem getting supervision. Make sure you retain an attorney that usually works in the same courthouse that you have to go to. It would be a disadvantage for you to go in w/ an attorney that the local prosecutor is not familiar with.
This one is going to cost you as there will be an additional fine above the cost of the ticket; you got caught and now you have to play the game. My situation cost me 1K and 20 hours of community service after all was said and done. I would guess that you will be hit w/ a fine of about 300 to 500 + traffic school + the cost of the ticket to get supervision.
Anybody here who talks shit to you about this can eat a dick. Almost all who are here have done triple digit runs at one time or another, it is just that they haven't been caught doing it (although some of us have).
The lesson you should take from this is that running at these speeds is not worth losing your privelidge to ride. If you get caught doing it again you will most likely lose your license and worse, your insurance costs could go up to the point that it will be difficult to afford keeping your bike insured.
Good luck bro and keep the record clean for at least a year after your court date. If you can do this you should be fine.
Not always. My personal experience and I don't know nor am I married to any lawyers. Last year I got hit with a 57 over (112 in a 55) ticket by a trooper. Did not go to jail, was cuffed and put in the back seat of his cruiser while he wrote the tickets however, nor was my truck impounded. I was let go with the tickets (the other being a bs failure to signal a lane change, when I never changed lanes, and I did signal when I pulled onto the shoulder but I wasn't gonna argue). Went to court without a lawyer, pleaded guilty to both and got a $575 fine total w/90 day supervision and that was it. My record however was clean back to '98. All that was said/asked by the judge before he told me the fine was "why were you going so fast?" I told him straight up " It was a new truck, and I just got past by break in period" same as I told the trooper. Both which responded with a smirk and a nod.

The optimist believes that we live in the best of all possible worlds...
The pessimist fears this to be true.

<----Shane

Shane's Facebook
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 12:55 AM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickyfan
Not always. My personal experience and I don't know nor am I married to any lawyers. Last year I got hit with a 57 over (112 in a 55) ticket by a trooper. Did not go to jail, was cuffed and put in the back seat of his cruiser while he wrote the tickets however, nor was my truck impounded. I was let go with the tickets (the other being a bs failure to signal a lane change, when I never changed lanes, and I did signal when I pulled onto the shoulder but I wasn't gonna argue). Went to court without a lawyer, pleaded guilty to both and got a $575 fine total w/90 day supervision and that was it. My record however was clean back to '98. All that was said/asked by the judge before he told me the fine was "why were you going so fast?" I told him straight up " It was a new truck, and I just got past by break in period" same as I told the trooper. Both which responded with a smirk and a nod.
Ya got lucky

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 02:07 PM
Curb your dogma.

Sportbike: another Honda:)
Years Riding: little while now....
How you found us: BusaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuces
Ya got lucky
Yes he did. Also, you may want to check your arrest record because the same thing happened to me; I was cuffed and placed in the back of the cruiser for about 15 minutes before I was allowed to leave the scene on my bike doning the ticket I had been issued. However, I was arrested even though I wasn't taken into the station and I have an arrest record now...first in my life.

"Cr-Cr-Cr-Crambone!!"
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

I secured a lawyer for my court date. He's local to the Rolling Meadows court house and knows all the judges and prosecutors. So He says I can get off with the minimum fine and supervision with his help. Cost me $125 for him to show and wave his wand. Wish me luck.

post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 09:03 PM
YO MAMA

glad you got a lawyer, and yep thats cheap, just make sure you hold him to what he said he can get you.

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 09:16 PM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Make sure you tell your Lawyer that the trooper already gave you a break by writing the ticket down..... details count in his negotiation with the prosecutor.

Tom

( Going in on something like this without a lawyer would be suicide )

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 01:47 PM
MIA for awhile...

Sportbike: '02 Suzuki SV650s and '06 GSXR600
Years Riding: Since 2006
How you found us: Papa Wink

I just went to court today to get my license back after a suspension -- I had never been to court and felt extremely comfortable having a lawyer with me. I didn't have to do anything and got exactly what I wanted (my license). I recommend John Carbon - his info is in the thread I just started about Good and Bad Lawyers.

His secretary is very knowledgeable and she can answer most questions you have about what will happen in court and whether or not you really do need a lawyer, as well as what the likely result will be.

Tina Wink
NESBA I#328

Couldn't be better if I'd written it myself: http://www.trackdaymag.com/Article.aspx?id=114

RIP Simona Vesela 1/9/86-6/25/07
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 03:19 PM

Sportbike: Kawasaki ZX-9R
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: from a member

I agree with most of the posts here. You can get a break and receive supervision without a lawyer, but your chances with a lawyer are much better. IMO, it's worth the money for an attorney.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 04:00 PM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

Plead not guilty.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 06:17 PM
JRS

Sportbike: several
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: friend

best advice: lawyer up.. it's the ONLY way to go..
and i don't like attorneys or the whole system.. but you've got to play the game..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode