Speeding Tickets in Wisconsin - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Traffic Violations Advice Corner Got screwed lately? Get advise from others that dealt with it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Slow
Years Riding: all of them
How you found us: a real person

Speeding Tickets in Wisconsin

Just a heads up and a FYI for eveyone here. If you get a ticket for speeding in Wisconsin you can ask the states attorney to change the ticket from speeding to "INATENTIVE DRIVING". This does not show up in the Illinois database and does not count as a moving violation in Illinois. However, here's the catch. Lets us my situation as an example. I got a speeding ticket in Sheboygan county on 57 south of Elkhart Lake for doing 70 in a 55. If I were to just pay the ticket (Wisconsin Does Not offer Court Supervision) then it would only be 3 points on my privledge to operate a motor vehicle in wisconsin. But an Inatentive Driving is 4 points. The point I'm trying to make is that it doesn't show up on an Illinois driving record as a speeding ticket. Fucking ticket still cost 175 bucks. DON'T GET PULLED OVER IN WISCONSIN!!! It's expensive. For gods sake I was towing the trailer, I wasn't even on the bike.

"I pity the poor people who don't ride motorcycles"
-Malcolm Smith, champion motorcycle racer

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
www.sportbiketracktime.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 03:45 PM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

Thanks for the info. I did not know about the innatentive driving. They didn't tell me that when I called them after the one time I got a ticket. But they did give the choice to knock it down from 17 over to 7 over or reduce the fine by $25. I took the 10 MPH reduction. I asked why no supervision and they said, "we believe in WI that if you get a ticket it should go on your record."

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 04:11 PM

Sportbike: R6, SV1000s, rm250
Years Riding: since 2001 in socal
How you found us: team chicago

That's funny, I haven't gotten a speeding ticket in WI in over 8 years.

I got pulled over sunday for doing 38 in a 25 and got a warning, had another warning for 40 in a 25 last fall, a defective spedometer shortly before that and a unreasonable and imprudent speed citation the year before that but that was dropped too. I guess it pays to be from WI, and ride with a defense attorney.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 04:40 PM
Human lawn dart

Sportbike: 03 ninja 6r 05 ttr-230 04 klx300r
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: I know all

Send a message via AIM to rdrash
Where were you lasted year. Got a ticket for 85 in a 55. 250 bucks later. But it didn't show up in my record in IL. At least my insurance hasn't gone up

I'm not short. I'm aerodynamically efficient.

Anti Helmet Laws Pro Darwinism
MotoGP 200 mph no roll cage
NESBA # 599
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
DON'T GET PULLED OVER IN WISCONSIN!!! It's expensive.
Good to know just as we prepare for another F4T
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 06:44 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Key word is, DONT RIDE LIKE AN IDIOT WITH OUT OF STATE PLATES!!.

BTW get caught in WI over 100, you will be arrested. 85+ usually is an automatic 60 day suspension.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 07:11 PM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFRob
Key word is, DONT RIDE LIKE AN IDIOT WITH OUT OF STATE PLATES!!.

BTW get caught in WI over 100, you will be arrested. 85+ usually is an automatic 60 day suspension.

That's a lot of key words, Rob. And Nick was in his truck pulling a trailer when he got nabbed.

BUT you are right, we should be very careful on the F4T this year.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 07:19 PM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

Damn, WI doesn't play. I will be very careful there. I wonder why they are stricter than the other states.

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBD
I wonder why they are stricter than the other states.
because there are a lot of Illinois people riding in Wisconsin every weekend
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Jewrassic Park Runaway

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha FZ1 Sleeper
Years Riding: I quit smoking 6 years ago
How you found us: www.chicagorussianriders.com

Thanks for a heads up.
I will be riding over 1100 miles in WI on August 10th-12th. BTW, anybody ever rode in very north parts of WI: Boulder junction, Conover, Hurley? How is the road surface? Are there lots of gravel roads that show OK on GPS and mapping software?
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBD
Damn, WI doesn't play. I will be very careful there. I wonder why they are stricter than the other states.

Seriously its due to the number of IL plates using I90 like a freaking racetrack. When you are cruising at 80mph and some jackweed SUV's/sportscars/family cars with those "Land of Lincoln" plates flys by at 100mph.... What do ya expect?

Chills, There was an anonymous tip about some IL guy in a dark coloured S10 nick-named Grasshopper that liked to drive fast towing a trailer near Road America.

State police still has yet to mail me my check.....Maybe I shouldnt had said that....
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 11:06 PM

I guess the sign 65 means 65 as you enter WI has a special meaning. Got pinched a few times in the dairy land myself. It SUCKS
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 12:00 AM
Listen to Motley Crue

Sportbike: POSER
Years Riding: 3 Years
How you found us: Shadrach

Quote:
Just a heads up and a FYI for eveyone here. If you get a ticket for speeding in Wisconsin you can ask the states attorney to change the ticket from speeding to "INATENTIVE DRIVING". This does not show up in the Illinois database and does not count as a moving violation in Illinois. However, here's the catch. Lets us my situation as an example. I got a speeding ticket in Sheboygan county on 57 south of Elkhart Lake for doing 70 in a 55. If I were to just pay the ticket (Wisconsin Does Not offer Court Supervision) then it would only be 3 points on my privledge to operate a motor vehicle in wisconsin. But an Inatentive Driving is 4 points. The point I'm trying to make is that it doesn't show up on an Illinois driving record as a speeding ticket. Fucking ticket still cost 175 bucks. DON'T GET PULLED OVER IN WISCONSIN!!! It's expensive. For gods sake I was towing the trailer, I wasn't even on the bike.
+1 on not getting pulled over in Wisconsin, I GOT A FUCKING 138 DOLLAR TICKET ON A FAWKING JET SKI, YES A FAWKING JET SKI
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFRob
Seriously its due to the number of IL plates using I90 like a freaking racetrack. When you are cruising at 80mph and some jackweed SUV's/sportscars/family cars with those "Land of Lincoln" plates flys by at 100mph.... What do ya expect?

Chills, There was an anonymous tip about some IL guy in a dark coloured S10 nick-named Grasshopper that liked to drive fast towing a trailer near Road America.

State police still has yet to mail me my check.....Maybe I shouldnt had said that....
You dirty Cheese head bastard!

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 03:02 AM

Sportbike: '07 Factory RSVR
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: member

Unreasonable/imprudent Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSpud
That's funny, I haven't gotten a speeding ticket in WI in over 8 years.

I got pulled over sunday for doing 38 in a 25 and got a warning, had another warning for 40 in a 25 last fall, a defective spedometer shortly before that and a unreasonable and imprudent speed citation the year before that but that was dropped too. I guess it pays to be from WI, and ride with a defense attorney.

I got hit with Unreasonable/Imprudent speed coming back from elkhart lake. Only problem is...I wasn't stopped..
Sheriff was on his way to a call and flew past a bunch of bikers...remembered one of my friend's plate# and was pressured into giving everyone else's plate (knucklehead gave him my CP #).
Cop called me next day asking for my DL#. He said if I didn't give it to him, he'd find out anyway and then would put out a warrant and several citations including failure to yield to an emergency vehicle and speeding" I panicked and gave it to him (BIG MISTAKE)!!!!!
I briefly spoke with the Judge in Wi and he was kinda cool, asked me to call the prosecuting attorney and tell her the story. "It is possible to take care of it over the phone" (wrong info on ticket, sheriff cannot ID me, cannot prove or demonstrate I was speeding, COP was agressively seeking an admition of speed, etc.
Hey SUPERSPUD, any chance you could help a brother out with the defense attorney?
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys4pops

I got hit with Unreasonable/Imprudent speed coming back from elkhart lake. Only problem is...I wasn't stopped..
Sheriff was on his way to a call and flew past a bunch of bikers...remembered one of my friend's plate# and was pressured into giving everyone else's plate (knucklehead gave him my CP #).
Cop called me next day asking for my DL#. He said if I didn't give it to him, he'd find out anyway and then would put out a warrant and several citations including failure to yield to an emergency vehicle and speeding" I panicked and gave it to him (BIG MISTAKE)!!!!!
I briefly spoke with the Judge in Wi and he was kinda cool, asked me to call the prosecuting attorney and tell her the story. "It is possible to take care of it over the phone" (wrong info on ticket, sheriff cannot ID me, cannot prove or demonstrate I was speeding, COP was agressively seeking an admition of speed, etc.
Hey SUPERSPUD, any chance you could help a brother out with the defense attorney?
That ALL sucks, when did this all happen? Doesn't your buddy know the. "I have NO CLUE who those people were riding rule"?
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 08:55 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

NO SHIT!!!

"Sorry officer i saw some bikes and joined in. I have no idea who they were!"

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 10:01 AM
:D i rides again!!!

Sportbike: R6
Years Riding: the R6? a few years now
How you found us: Sea Biscut

Send a message via MSN to coyotee Send a message via Yahoo to coyotee
superspud has a lead foot.... with a string attached to his wrist... (that 38 in a 25 was in his car... and about 10 miles later he passed another cop doing 15 over i belive)

WI is a stickler state for tickets, they are expensive and costly especially when insurance catches up to you.

just an fyi to anyone who gets pulled over in this state, show up to court, or request a pretrial conference, be patient with the DA and/or judge and they will almost always reduce the fine and the points.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 10:20 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labdog
NO SHIT!!!

"Sorry officer i saw some bikes and joined in. I have no idea who they were!"

EXACTLY!! That's totally what I would say and have said it. I know none of you... except the dude on the busa with a sliver KBC helmet painted like a WWII fighter. I'd give the officer his home address.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

ONLY if you don't wanna live afterwards

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 12:56 PM

If you are stopped you have to give them your liscene, reg, and proof of insurance. IF they want any other info, including "do you know why I stopped you", who are these people, etc, etc You can tell him to that you have nothing to say to him. Never admitt anything to a police officer. Hell, on a phone call, I would just hang up. You have no idea if the person calling is really a police officer. It could be someone fishing for info for identity theft.

Best if you prempt the officer when stopped by asking "Why was I stopped?" as soon as they pull you over. Prevents them from fishing for an admission of guilt. If they presist on questioning you about friends etc, ask "Am I being detained, or am I free to go?" along with "I have nothing to say"

Saying anything just hurts you. They'll write you a ticket and let you be on your way.

Video on your rights in a traffic stop.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...47761350501823
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls14evar
If you are stopped you have to give them your liscene, reg, and proof of insurance. IF they want any other info, including "do you know why I stopped you", who are these people, etc, etc You can tell him to that you have nothing to say to him. Never admitt anything to a police officer. Hell, on a phone call, I would just hang up. You have no idea if the person calling is really a police officer. It could be someone fishing for info for identity theft.

Best if you prempt the officer when stopped by asking "Why was I stopped?" as soon as they pull you over. Prevents them from fishing for an admission of guilt. If they presist on questioning you about friends etc, ask "Am I being detained, or am I free to go?" along with "I have nothing to say"

Saying anything just hurts you. They'll write you a ticket and let you be on your way.

Little warning about doing that. Local and county officers it wouldn really be a big deal. Now with WI state police, be very, very carefull how you word things. Really sucks to turn a simple speeding ticket into a full vehicle safety inspection. And yes they will do this. Usually takes 60-90 mins.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 07:06 PM
Don't stare for too long

Sportbike: 2 Wheels and an engine
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: ?

Don't we have enough good roads here in IL (west and south) ?

I stay out of WI mainly because of everything posted in this thread.
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 07:19 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100
Don't we have enough good roads here in IL (west and south) ?

I stay out of WI mainly because of everything posted in this thread.
Hell I have yet to see any LEO in SW WI's alphabet roads.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 01:56 AM

Sportbike: '07 Factory RSVR
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls14evar

In Wi., you don't need proof of insurance. If you get pulled over and refuse to sign your ticket, you're going to jail (that is their guarantee that you'll show up for court). You don't have to surrender your DL if you're out of state.
I called my old Marine Co who is a Chicago cop and gave him the details and he has coached me on what to say. He also asked for advise from the CPD Laywers. He also told me to call the prosecuting attorney and explain the situation nicely. Let them know that, if I have to go to court, I will the put the Deputy's word in doubt thereafter.
I have been given Lawyer "verbage" and tutored in "cross examination" tactics so the holes in his charges and BS strong-arm tactics will be exposed.
Stay tuned!
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 09:31 AM

yeah dude I got nailed about 2 months ago for 88 in a 65.

cost me 281.00 and thats not pasos
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincapsize
yeah dude I got nailed about 2 months ago for 88 in a 65.

cost me 281.00 and thats not pasos
Wisconsin Isn't the worse. I got nailed on the 15 freeway south of LA a couple years ago in a rental car for doing 96 in a 65. After it was all said and done that fucking ticket cost over 500 bucks. Cop on a Beemer R1100 pulled me over.

Nick
STT Staff
Midwest Division
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Quote:
Wisconsin Isn't the worse. I got nailed on the 15 freeway south of LA a couple years ago in a rental car for doing 96 in a 65. After it was all said and done that fucking ticket cost over 500 bucks. Cop on a Beemer R1100 pulled me over.

500 bucks?

Hell I dont want to think what that Chippie would had got me for after I passed him going 85-90 in a 35 on Mulholland Dr. We pasts as we crested a rise at teh same time. All I seen was brake lights come on and decided to start taking some various side roads.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 03:55 PM

Quote:
lol, when I was living in Southern California, I had a cop on a beemer pass me and wave to me while I was doing 100mph down the 15 on my SV.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 04:04 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

ahhh what an enjoyable read it amazes me that you folks are complaining for getting busted for doing 85+ in a 65 zone.

Its been a while since I got a tix in IL - IS $175 a lot for a tix in WI ? What will an IL tix set you back?

Samal - I could give you some info on the Conover area if you want. Shoot me a PM

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode