Filtering and Shoulder Riding - How Much? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Traffic Violations Advice Corner Got screwed lately? Get advise from others that dealt with it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
[Online]

Sportbike: Multistrada 1100S; CBR600RR
Years Riding: Since 2004
How you found us: CRR

Filtering and Shoulder Riding - How Much?

Has anybody here ever been stopped by police for filtering (lane splitting/sharing) and shoulder riding? I wonder how much does it cost. Also - how it is classified - is it considered a big offense or a minor stuff?

Note that what I'm talking about is NOT passing cars on the shoulder at 120mph on a freeway. It is slowly squeezing between few cars to the red light / stop sign or slowly moving on the right side of a long ass line of cars in a traffic jam in the city.

I don't want to get into do vs don't discussion here, merely willing to find out if I could be legally fucked up with it or if it's a pay and forget thing.

- Stas

Thou shalt not disfigure the soul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
[Online]

I'll add a little explanation of why I'm asking this question. There's a road construction not far from my house which very unfortunately is on my way to 90/94. Squeezing on the right side past the standing cars saves like 10 minutes of standing in traffic over the distance of 1 mile. The choice is obvious...

- Stas

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 01:54 AM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

You would most likely be hit with improper lane use and/or failure to signal if the cop is a dick. What that costs, I dont know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
[Online]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzx9r View Post
You would most likely be hit with improper lane use and/or failure to signal if the cop is a dick. What that costs, I dont know.
Makes sense... I googled for it and here's what I found for Lake County (I think it won't be much different for Cook County):

Improper traffic lane usage $75.00
Improper passing on shoulder $75.00
Improper turn signal $75.00

All of them are listed as minor violations! Perfect!

Now it would be good to hear about some real experiences...

- Stas

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Retired but still working

Sportbike: 1994 H/D Softail Custom
Years Riding: Long Enough
How you found us: search

Send a message via Yahoo to Dean
You have several scenarios. Remember one thing, although you say they are "minor" violationsin the fact they are $75.00, they are moving violations which could end up as a strike against your record. There are several violations you could be cited for.

Improper Passing on the Right / Left is most likel what the cop will get you for.

Improper Lane Usage is another.

If you travel across the yellow striped portion of the lines, you can be charge with Violation of a Median.

One catch-all is you have to pay attention to signage in the area. In some construction areas there will be temporary "No Passing Zone" signs. It does not matter how far apart or near they are. If they are within the "zone", it is just another ticket for "Violating Traffic Control Device".

I could throw more at you but I think of one thing... if you are going through traffic like that, a cop car still has to get around the traffic you are going through. I do not condone this, but it is apparent if you can squeeze through, a car can not.

P.S. Watch out for cold cups of Starbucks, cigarettes and doors.

Dean

What do the internet and Channel 11 have in common? They are both a window to the world; put it out there and do not be surprised who will see it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode