stupid kids... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Traffic Violations Advice Corner Got screwed lately? Get advise from others that dealt with it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
vrrooomm

Sportbike: Katana
Years Riding: 4
How you found us: yahoo

Send a message via AIM to PisOnCavalier Send a message via Yahoo to PisOnCavalier
stupid kids...

Last night some friends were out riding and we were being a little stupid down a 4 lane road in lake county, the LC sheriff said 85-90, and then tried to pick out the "leaders of the group" I have no idea when he got behind us so i had no idea who was in front. anyway he pretty much asked how fast two guys were going, and they admitted 35 over and 40 over, so thats what they got the tickets for. I completely forgot to see the radar, but i don't think he had us on radar. one of the guys didn't have his permit on him, and i had to call someone to my bike home (I got to ride his)

what i learned... never admit to speeding (at least not more then 20 over) and if the cop can prove it, there is nothing you can do.

also, blame it on someone who just started riding w/your group that night that just took off.

last... you dont know anyone's last name, just some ppl you met up w/off the internet.... don't worry, i'd never tell them this site, lol.

Last edited by PisOnCavalier; 09-19-2007 at 11:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few
How you found us: SBN

Be a man. You do the crime, you do the time. I hate weasles
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 08:19 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by PisOnCavalier View Post
also, blame it on someone who just started riding w/your group that night that just took off.
Way to man up to your mistakes.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 07:19 PM
n00b

Sportbike: Yamaha feejer and Suzuki vstrom
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: search engine

Send a message via AIM to zed88
Just so you know they don't have to show you their radar. They will probably get pissed if you ask to see it. If they volunteer to show it to you then look. But otherwise don't tick them off anymore than necessary. Its a common myth that they are required to show it to you.

Eric
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 03:40 PM

Sportbike: 05 CBR600RR
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: CBR Forum

Send a message via AIM to AgentofDarkness
Quote:
Originally Posted by zed88 View Post
Just so you know they don't have to show you their radar. They will probably get pissed if you ask to see it. If they volunteer to show it to you then look. But otherwise don't tick them off anymore than necessary. Its a common myth that they are required to show it to you.

Eric
There is this kid at my school who claims that he went to Springfield and read case reports or something and said that LEO are required to give you a printout from their radar or they cannot give you a ticket. I called BS on him but since I don't have any proof that he is wrong, I couldn't really say anything. Anyone know anything about that? Also, never ever admit to how fast you were going. The only thing that can come of that is a ticket. That is also a ticket you cannot contest in court since you admitted to committing the crime.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 06:57 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

LEO's are not required to show you the radar. Also, I have not seen a radar that prints anything out. I never allow anyone to see the radar. In my opinion, it's an officer safety issue to bring anyone back to your car without being in cuffs and there is no way for me to bring the radar to them since it's wired in the car.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 11:28 AM

why in gods name would you admit you were speeding?? wat is wrong with you... he asks you how fast your going your response should have been "the speed limit officer"

FTP!!!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 07:55 AM
Wild slide rule roots

Sportbike: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R, yel/blk (Street) & '04 GSXR750 (Track)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: Got the link through NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentofDarkness View Post
There is this kid at my school who claims that he went to Springfield and read case reports or something and said that LEO are required to give you a printout from their radar or they cannot give you a ticket. I called BS on him but since I don't have any proof that he is wrong, I couldn't really say anything. Anyone know anything about that?
Man, you have to get your head right if you're going to work with criminal law. It's not your job to prove he's wrong until he can prove he's right. So go ask him for his cites and keep calling it BS until he comes up with them. If he comes up with them, post them up. I'd love to see them.

Quote:
Also, never ever admit to how fast you were going. The only thing that can come of that is a ticket. That is also a ticket you cannot contest in court since you admitted to committing the crime.
How about, "Oh, no, officer, you must have misunderstood what I was saying"? If you admit guilt in court, it's hard to contest. If you admit it in writing, it's hard to contest. If you say, "Yeah, I was probably doing about 90," and nobody else hears it, then it's not as hard. It's not that easy, either, but it is contestable.

In any case, though, you are better off not admitting guilt at all, at least not until you've had a chance to think your options through and come to a reasonable decision, which you normally can't do in the field. Again, it's their job to prove your guilt: it's not your job to prove your innocence, at least not beyond refuting enough of their evidence or their theory of what you did to introduce a reasonable doubt.

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
Jabber/Google Talk: [email protected]
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

I have very little problems with getting pulled over, tickets, ect. Last time I was pulled over was for speeding on the sholder in Elmhurst. I got the officer laughing, and got a warning ticket. If pulled over in your situation, do not admit to anything, and do not sell out your fellow riders.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
vrrooomm

Send a message via AIM to PisOnCavalier Send a message via Yahoo to PisOnCavalier
I wouldn't rat out my fellow riders. I'm saying make someone up. so when the cops says "who was doing 90 mph" say "the guy in front that didn't stop"

I believe cops should be required to show radar. I understand its a safety issue for the officer, but come on, innocent until proven guilty. # 2, You right, it is dangerous for the officer, but they do have a gun, and if they need to, they can call for back up.

Last edited by PisOnCavalier; 09-26-2007 at 12:24 PM.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 02:04 PM
n00b

Sportbike: Yamaha feejer and Suzuki vstrom
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: search engine

Send a message via AIM to zed88
Quote:
I wouldn't rat out my fellow riders. I'm saying make someone up. so when the cops says "who was doing 90 mph" say "the guy in front that didn't stop"

I believe cops should be required to show radar. I understand its a safety issue for the officer, but come on, innocent until proven guilty. # 2, You right, it is dangerous for the officer, but they do have a gun, and if they need to, they can call for back up.
There's nothing to stop the cop from locking in a speed from someone else and just showing that all day. It would be better if it was linked to the in car video system. Then you have a nice video that could be posted online in digital format to review when you got home. From a technical standpoint it would be fairly easy to implement.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Model citizen

Quote:
# 2, You right, it is dangerous for the officer, but they do have a gun, and if they need to, they can call for back up.
This is only slightly less retarded than your origional statement. If the radar is hard wired to the car, (like Jenn said it is), then the speeder has to be right next to the cop car and the officer in order to see the radar gun. How is the officer supposed to use their gun or call for backup to defend themselves when the attacker is maybe a foot or two away.

The thought processes of today's youth scares me

Eric
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Ninja Kick!

Sportbike: 09 R6 09, RS125
Years Riding: Not enough
How you found us: Spongebob

I just turn on the Aussie charm, works every time! (Except when they stop laughing and hand me the citation anyway...)
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
vrrooomm

MAYNARD, have some common sense, of course i meant if the officer didn't feel safe enough to show the speeder their radar, then they could tell the person they can see it, if they wait for another officer. half the time there are two anyway. i've asked to see the radar, after i've gotten the ticket, all it had was the mph. i've heard that some have time and date, but i've never seen that.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
You play, you pay. Speeding is just a game. It is your job to get away with it and it is the police's job to catch you breaking the law. They are just doing their job.

Also, they know that 99% of the time, you know what you did. No need to act stupid around them, it just pisses them off.

It's pretty refreshing, from the officers that I have talked to, when you are respectful and not ignorant. Most people don't give officers the respect they deserve, so be different. Man up to what you were doing, treat them right, and don't get caught in a blatent lie, you just might catch a break. If not, you knew you were doing wrong, don't blame them for doing their jobs.

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 03:57 PM
Illegitimi non Carborundu

Sportbike: That Bike
Years Riding: That Long
How you found us: Google Search for "sexy."

Send a message via AIM to Paul Send a message via MSN to Paul Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
I'm always cool with the po po. Most of the time I am let off with a warning - probably because of that. I remember one officer pulling me over for 11 over and the first thing he said was, "Hey, you know you got a dent in your roof?" LOL I was like "What??". He let me out to look at it - looked like a baseball hit the top of my roof. I was thanking him for pointing it out. He ran my license, came back, and handed me a card to place that pulls dents and said "have a nice day."

2012 Goldwing Owner
2013 Ninja 1000 Owner
2013 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special Owner
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Fried SPAM n Eggs anyone?

Sportbike: 2002 GSXR-1000
Years Riding: since Z. Cavaricci pants were in ;-)
How you found us: saQ"C"1

Send a message via Yahoo to jesson0204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Be a man. You do the crime, you do the time. I hate weasles
+1
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 04:12 PM
G1K rocks!

Sportbike: Gixxer
Years Riding: Few years.....
How you found us: Your MotoGP sponsorship....

No need to figure out how to cheat the system and what your rights are. If you are breaking the law expect to get what you deserve. If you don't get it then play the lottery that day because you are lucky. We all hope to be lucky sometimes but other days it just doesn't happen. Suck it up and deal with it.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 08:48 AM

I love all you guys comments about "you play you pay" sounds like some soar looser bullshit to me....Personally I will call up my prepaid legal FOR FREE and get off EVERY TIME!! why in gods name would you not get a lawyer when EVERY TIME its a reduced fine and nothing goes on your record....

but hey if you guys feel like paying out the ass and taking convictions for speeding then go ahead i suppose its thanks to people like you for extra state funding
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 09:27 AM
Model citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai87 View Post
I love all you guys comments about "you play you pay" sounds like some soar looser bullshit to me....Personally I will call up my prepaid legal FOR FREE and get off EVERY TIME!! why in gods name would you not get a lawyer when EVERY TIME its a reduced fine and nothing goes on your record....

but hey if you guys feel like paying out the ass and taking convictions for speeding then go ahead i suppose its thanks to people like you for extra state funding
Squids are funny

(BTW, I only have 1 conviction on my record)

Eric
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai87 View Post

Everyone pays in some form or another... You obviously are paying for prepaid legal to be able to call them and you still have to pay some sort of fine

My record is clean. I go in and pay my $75 stupid tax for my "performance award", be a good boy for 3-6 months (to make sure it stays off) and go on my merry way.

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Squids are funny

(BTW, I only have 1 conviction on my record)
good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuces View Post
Everyone pays in some form or another... You obviously are paying for prepaid legal to be able to call them and you still have to pay some sort of fine

My record is clean. I go in and pay my $75 stupid tax for my "performance award", be a good boy for 3-6 months (to make sure it stays off) and go on my merry way.

I pay 4.36$/month for prepaid legal....the fine ya, ya still gotta pay that but most of the tiem its been reduced, and for supervision I have never been on supervision longer then 30days!!!!
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 01:53 AM
RIP Ashwin

Sportbike: twin turbo supercharged busa
Years Riding: Just got my license
How you found us: A tramp stamp

Maynard, your the voice of reason.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 02:08 AM

I was doing between 85 and 90 when the laser warning on my radar detector went off so I was anywhere from 15-25 over when the cop got me. Being respectful, following directions, got off with a warning. Don't be a dick and it'll work out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode