DuPage County Court Costs - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Traffic Violations Advice Corner Got screwed lately? Get advise from others that dealt with it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Cruising through life

Sportbike: '11 Harley VRSCF
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: searched under "degenerates"

DuPage County Court Costs

fyi... court costs went WAAAAYYY up for dupage county. for instance, a speeding ticket 0-20mph over the limit used to be $75 fine and roughly $50 court costs (~$125). now the minimum court cost for the same ticket is over $250, and that doesn't include the fine for the ticket. some of the other ones are ridiculous too but i couldn't find a listing of them anywhere. when i get one from work i'll let you all know. in the meantime if you get a ticket in dupage county and feel like going to court to try and contest it you are going to pay out the butt for your efforts unless you are found not guilty. and no... getting a lawyer cannot reduce the court costs, just the fine. drive/ride safe.

just an update from your friendly CLSB popo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Holy sh!t... Definitely something to keep in mind. Thanks for the head's up.
They're trying to make up that revenue somehow...

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:21 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

I found out that while most other counties within the US have steadily increased the court fines over the years, DuPage, for some reason, did not do so. Now, DuPage is trying to catch up with other counties and doing it in one big increase.

I had DuPage Country traffic court this week and even the cops were going when we heard the fines people were being given.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 10:11 PM
n00b

Sportbike: Yamaha feejer and Suzuki vstrom
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: search engine

Send a message via AIM to zed88
So the court costs are $250 (roughly) plus the fine? Sounds like perversion of the justice system to me. It should be about $70+the deterrent. Sounds like another reason to lawyer up on every case, because otherwise you can run up a crazy bill. What is this VA? The govt/lawyers win and everybody else loses.

The point of going to court is to ensure that the crime happened, and there is evidence. Average joe is going to freak when they see that the process costs them $250, and there taxes. I thought that the courts were already paid for via taxes, or is that a misconception I have?

Thanks for letting us know!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 10:12 PM
The Violator

Sportbike: A little bit of everything.
Years Riding: Not nearly enough!
How you found us: On a ride in Colorado

That's some pretty heavy juice for a traffic citation.

It almost seems like a strong-arm tactic to prevent motorists from fighting tickets.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Cruising through life

Sportbike: '11 Harley VRSCF
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: searched under "degenerates"

[QUOTE=zed88;939533Sounds like another reason to lawyer up on every case, because otherwise you can run up a crazy bill. [/QUOTE]

as i said in the first post, just because you hire a lawyer doesn't decrease the court costs, only the amount of the actual fine for the violation.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 12:15 AM
TERRAdactyl

Sportbike: 07 600RR
Years Riding: on the street since 01
How you found us: accidentally stepped in it

Send a message via Yahoo to catwlights
LOL... I just realized... I replaced all my lawyer fees with track time.

LOL

Im deathly afraid of riding on the street now. Crazy. I thought all you track nerds were full of shit when you said that. But its true.... Its scary on the street.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 01:35 AM
n00b

Sportbike: Yamaha feejer and Suzuki vstrom
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: search engine

Send a message via AIM to zed88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
as i said in the first post, just because you hire a lawyer doesn't decrease the court costs, only the amount of the actual fine for the violation.
I was just referring to maximizing your ability to win a not-guilty plea. If you know you are innocent, its not worth the $250 risk that you might get convicted, so now you need to spend money on a lawyer. This appears to be a attempt to drive citizens out of the courtroom through high risk fines.

It also further proves that the fines are just monetary awards for the courts, and do not have the citizens interests at heart. It allows wealthy people to pay fines that don't affect them and don't deter the behavior. I bet that officers might reevaluate what they write now knowing that questionable behavior will now cost citizens alot.

Its sad because thats not what this countries legal system was founded on. By making the laws more complicated, and the fees beyond the reach of average citizens it becomes a rigged system. How many members on here have boasted about getting off +30mph tickets through lawyers. I can't believe that our police are so incompetent that +30 tickets don't count. Its not the officers fault for making a mistake so much as the complicated laws written for the benefit of lawyers. I understand mistakes are made, but the things people plead down here are kinda crazy. And on top of it the court doesn't care because it still gets its chunk of change.

Using the police as revenue collecting agents just ticks the public and the officers off. Its lose-lose for everyone except the local govt. Similar to speed cameras. They generate revenue but don't stop the behavior. Safety or money?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
That's some pretty heavy juice for a traffic citation.

It almost seems like a strong-arm tactic to prevent motorists from fighting tickets.

+1 Exactly what they are doing....people are no longer taking tickets laying down, they are using their right to have due process of the law...so what does the government do? Make it expensive, so only the well to do will have due process.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Thee original azzhole!

Sportbike: 97 900rr-rip 09/09, 69 chevelle SS, & ???
Years Riding: it doesnt matter
How you found us: i see all

Send a message via AIM to Thunderstruck
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC1957 View Post
+1 Exactly what they are doing....people are no longer taking tickets laying down, they are using their right to have due process of the law...so what does the government do? Make it expensive, so only the well to do will have due process.
...your just realizing this NOW?!?!?!?!?!?!

btw...a good lawyer can even possably have charges dismissed depending on the charges...BUT...there are times when the court has STILL ORDERED ME TO PAY FOR COURT FINES when the case has been dismissed....so NOT paying doesnt always become a reality...

...plus my gf was with me saying "omg slow down, slow down" and I was thinking "Lose annoying squalk box in passenger seat, afford more mods and have less weight in the car and on the back of the bike"...so i dumped her and I'm single again as usual...HERE KITTY KITTY!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
pussy is the root of all evil...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunny View Post
mmmm pussy
You dont like me....i dont give a fuck...cause i'll still put ya in the hospital...me tollerating you is all that matters...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 07:38 PM

Sportbike: 2004 R6, 2005 SV650
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Another forum

wow, that makes sense seeing as how i had a recent case and the charge was dropped to "regular speeding" and i still payed 180.00 in total and wondered why so much, even w/court costs..damn, never speeding in dupage again, ill stick w/cook county

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode