suspended plates...get new ones? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Traffic Violations Advice Corner Got screwed lately? Get advise from others that dealt with it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
1 piece at a time

Sportbike: Ninja ZX-6'DinoSaki'
Years Riding: Since I joined!
How you found us: teh intarwebz

Send a message via AIM to hexraptor Send a message via MSN to hexraptor Send a message via Yahoo to hexraptor
suspended plates...get new ones?

Like the title says, looks like i'm going to have my plates suspended for 2 months.

On the last car i had, let the insurance lapse without realizing it (moved, didnt get the info that it was running out soon, forgot...oops), and come april 2nd, the plates that were registered on that car will be suspended. Of course i'm just lucky like this, Found this out a week after i transferred those plates onto my new car.

I really cant afford to have no car for 2 months, and the bike needs work before i can ride it or else i'd suck it up and take that. Not only that, but i'd be paying 250 a month for the car and 230 a month for insurance when i cant even use it!

Is there any way I can buy new plates for my car, considering they will expire May this year? I'm not sure if since the plates were registered to the new vehicle now, they would just suspend whatever new plates i did get if i can.

any help is greatly appreciated!

- Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 09:18 PM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

How can they suspend you plates for no ins?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
1 piece at a time

Send a message via AIM to hexraptor Send a message via MSN to hexraptor Send a message via Yahoo to hexraptor
dunno, makes no sense to me....i thought they just made you get sr-22..

got a lot of crap from a stop in december, so i got a lawyer for everything, just relaying what he told me..gah i hate Fin court and fines

- Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Ohhhhhhhh so you got pulled over and ticketed for no insurance?

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
1 piece at a time

correct good sir

I guess you are only able to get supervision for it once every 5 or 7 years, and i had gotten one because the one time i drive someone elses car, some asshat pulls left right in front of me, and of course the cop tells me he's 'just giving me a warning' for failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident....LOL, it was sunny out, 30 mph street, and i slowed down to ~10mph and in time to swerve enough to just scrape the front of his bumper. I hate cops sometimes

- Steve

Last edited by hexraptor; 03-03-2008 at 09:57 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

No you cant get new ones to get around the suspension. Although you could "Technically" sell the car to someone, and they could register it and get plates. maybe a family member might be interested in buying a car?

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Ninja Kick!

Sportbike: 09 R6 09, RS125
Years Riding: Not enough
How you found us: Spongebob

Not that I'd advise any illegal actions, but when I got pulled over with no insurance (buddy I lent my car to lost it somehow) I had to go to court, the whole process took less than ten minutes. The judge asked to see the proof of insurance, which was just a piece of paper faxed to me by the insurance company, and then dismissed the ticket and gave me my license back. There was zero checking of authenticity, or the actual policy number, if I was that way inclined and I didn't have insurance it would have taken only a few minutes to photochop 'proof' for court. I'd highly recommend against taking any such course of action however.

That said, insurance companies also send you emails for policy renewal. Give them your email address and give yourself a backup just in case you move gain.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Pringles can user

Sportbike: 2005 YZ250
Years Riding: 1977
How you found us: Geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexraptor View Post
Like the title says, looks like i'm going to have my plates suspended for 2 months.

On the last car i had, let the insurance lapse without realizing it (moved, didnt get the info that it was running out soon, forgot...oops), and come april 2nd, the plates that were registered on that car will be suspended. Of course i'm just lucky like this, Found this out a week after i transferred those plates onto my new car.

I really cant afford to have no car for 2 months, and the bike needs work before i can ride it or else i'd suck it up and take that. Not only that, but i'd be paying 250 a month for the car and 230 a month for insurance when i cant even use it!

Is there any way I can buy new plates for my car, considering they will expire May this year? I'm not sure if since the plates were registered to the new vehicle now, they would just suspend whatever new plates i did get if i can.

any help is greatly appreciated!

Was it woodstock cops or mchenry, I live in woodstock also. Havent been pulled over yet though - Knock on wood!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Retired but still working

Sportbike: 1994 H/D Softail Custom
Years Riding: Long Enough
How you found us: search

Send a message via Yahoo to Dean
A little note about this... although your "plates" might be the only item suspended, there might be a flag attached to your driver's license not allowing you to purchase / update other items. It might be fine when you are at the currency exchange, but the S.O.S will reject this based on thier information.

There is no simple way around this. Sure you can get lucky and bring a faxed piece of paper to court and depending on how busy they are or what county you are in, you might be able to get away without the state's attorney checking to see if it is real or fake. However, get caught, and I do not want to tell you how much the fine is for presenting a forged or altered insurance document - if you think money is tight now, the court will rape you on this one and not say goodbye with a kiss either.

And on a side note... If you update your registration sticker through the mail, DO NOT FORGET to fill out the back of the registration form. Illinois now requires all registered drivers to include your insurance agency and policy number on the back of all registration renewal forms. If you do no fill this out, you get an automated letter sent to your home to prove you have insurance. Don't fill this one out either... well, get ready to start bicycling come spring.

Dean

What do the internet and Channel 11 have in common? They are both a window to the world; put it out there and do not be surprised who will see it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
A little note about this... although your "plates" might be the only item suspended, there might be a flag attached to your driver's license not allowing you to purchase / update other items. It might be fine when you are at the currency exchange, but the S.O.S will reject this based on thier information.

There is no simple way around this. Sure you can get lucky and bring a faxed piece of paper to court and depending on how busy they are or what county you are in, you might be able to get away without the state's attorney checking to see if it is real or fake. However, get caught, and I do not want to tell you how much the fine is for presenting a forged or altered insurance document - if you think money is tight now, the court will rape you on this one and not say goodbye with a kiss either.

And on a side note... If you update your registration sticker through the mail, DO NOT FORGET to fill out the back of the registration form. Illinois now requires all registered drivers to include your insurance agency and policy number on the back of all registration renewal forms. If you do no fill this out, you get an automated letter sent to your home to prove you have insurance. Don't fill this one out either... well, get ready to start bicycling come spring.
Excellent advice from a man "in the know"

- Ronald Reagan

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 11:41 AM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

The Great Dean has Spoken!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
1 piece at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post

Well it hasnt happened to them yet, but they will be suspending the plates that were registered to the old car, so if i change the plates on the new one before they are suspended, i was thinking they wouldn't look at the new car's changes

and i just got that in the mail for the bike, just noticed it, thanks for pointing it out!

Also, if my bike's plates expire this month, will i be charged if i wait to renew them until i'm done working on it? (month or 2)

- Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode