Stupid ass Cop in Richmond, IL - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Traffic Violations Advice Corner Got screwed lately? Get advise from others that dealt with it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2010 Yamaha R1
Years Riding: 4
How you found us: Google

Send a message via Skype™ to drozek
Stupid ass Cop in Richmond, IL

So me and a couple of my buddies are rocking on Route 12 heading to the border. We pull over in a parking lot, wait for another buddy. We are off our bikes doing nothing wrong. We see a cop come flying down the road makes a left hand turn, looks at us and keeps going. His pulls a U-turn down the street and turns into the parking lot we are in. He says someone complained about 3 bikes going at high speeds and weaving in and out of traffic. He says he could lock us up for wreckless driving, but instead writes me and my other buddy for improper display of license plate, which is $75 in that stupid town. Is there anyway to fight this. We were pulled over doing nothing wrong. BTW the cop name was T. Sink. He looked like a kid who got picked on in high school and is taking it out on people right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:08 AM

Sportbike: '08 Ninja 650
Years Riding: Newbie
How you found us: A friend

Yea I'd fight it, he had no PC (probable cause) to even come up to you and your buddies, let alone give you a ticket for something you didn't do. Basically what he gave you and your buddies tickets for is (hear say) its information from a third party. I'd definately fight it in court!!
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:10 AM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

LOL display it properly and you wouldn't get a ticket.

And considering Richmond isn't that big and you fit the bill by having 2 other buddies with you and stopping in a lot after they received a complaint from motorist. I would venture to say he picked the right group

BTW that stupid little town doesn't set the fee its the stupid state you live in

I almost bet before he made the u-turn he was getting a description from the dispatch on at least the color of bike of identifiable info otherwise he would have continued on his way

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_german View Post
Yea I'd fight it, he had no PC (probable cause) to even come up to you and your buddies, let alone give you a ticket for something you didn't do. Basically what he gave you and your buddies tickets for is (hear say) its information from a third party. I'd definately fight it in court!!
The PC was the complaints from motorist along with being in a parking lot of a business which was probably closed cause its a nutty little town, and the ticket was for I am sure a plate that has alittle to much slant to it. SO please enlighten us on where improper display is third party when he can pull up and see they are improperly displayed

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .

Last edited by C2M; 09-22-2008 at 01:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:15 AM

The PC was the complaints from motorist and the ticket was for I am sure a plate that has alittle to much slant to it[/QUOTE]

Right but he didn't see it with his own eyes, the 3 guys riding like that so he can't get them for that. Thats what hear say is and ALWAYS hear say is thrown out in any case, whether its a civil case, criminal case, or a murder trial. Now the plates yes he can, but did he have probable cause to even go up to them? If he never went up to them he would have never seen the plate?
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:18 AM
1 piece at a time

Sportbike: Ninja ZX-6'DinoSaki'
Years Riding: Since I joined!
How you found us: teh intarwebz

Send a message via AIM to hexraptor Send a message via MSN to hexraptor Send a message via Yahoo to hexraptor
solution: Look up the information on the ticket about the statute or w/e, and find correct Angle plate should be at; bend plates back properly; take picture from rear & side view; bring evidence and knowledge to court, hopefully get out of ticket.

Remember, you are innocent until proven guilty, you could (hopefully) convince them that without a protractor, or a picture from an identifiable height/location, there is no way the officer could've 100% proved that the plate was positioned wrong, and have the ticket dismissed/dropped

- Steve

Last edited by hexraptor; 09-22-2008 at 01:21 AM.
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

My plate is mounted vertically on the axel. And no he had no PC we were just chilling in a parking lot. On the side of the rode, pulled over, gear off, bikes turned off.
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:20 AM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:
we were just chilling in a parking lot
Nuff said its called a investigative stop. Your in a parking lot hanging out assuming the business was closed for the day you don't belong there and have no business to par take in

Any how bend the plate to the right angle and go to court most likely thrown out

Quote:
The PC was the complaints from motorist and the ticket was for I am sure a plate that has alittle to much slant to it

Right but he didn't see it with his own eyes, the 3 guys riding like that so he can't get them for that. Thats what hear say is and ALWAYS hear say is thrown out in any case, whether its a civil case, criminal case, or a murder trial. Now the plates yes he can, but did he have probable cause to even go up to them? If he never went up to them he would have never seen the plate?[/QUOTE]

Oh you don't wanna do this! He had proper right to go up to them as they are hanging out in a parking lot, he drives by sees the plate that in its own gives him the right. Just the same if you were on the highway riding and they saw the plate wasn't displayed.

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .

Last edited by C2M; 09-22-2008 at 01:23 AM.
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:20 AM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
If he gave you the ticket without witnessing it, you will probably get off. You are stuck on the improper display, though.

I'm no lawyer, though.... get representation or risk eating it.

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:22 AM

Oh you don't wanna do this! He had proper right to go up to them as they are hanging out in a parking lot, he drives by sees the plate that in its own gives him the right. Just the same if you were on the highway riding and they saw the plate wasn't displayed.[/QUOTE]

The plate I'm not saying he was wrong on about that. But not having PC is my problem. What if it were 3 guys in 3 different cars. Dude you're arguing with someone who has a degree in Criminal Law...come on now!
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Funny thing is, on the way back, there was another cop that was riding my ass, and def saw the plate mounted vertically, different town and didn't pull me over.
post #11 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:24 AM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
Quote:
Originally Posted by drozek View Post
Funny thing is, on the way back, there was another cop that was riding my ass, and def saw the plate mounted vertically, different town and didn't pull me over.
different town, different attitude. The officers mood can play a big part in a stop.

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #12 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:25 AM
1 piece at a time

Send a message via AIM to hexraptor Send a message via MSN to hexraptor Send a message via Yahoo to hexraptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2M View Post
Nuff said its called a investigative stop. Your in a parking lot hanging out assuming the business was closed for the day you don't belong there and have no business to par take in

Oh you don't wanna do this! He had proper right to go up to them as they are hanging out in a parking lot, he drives by sees the plate that in its own gives him the right. Just the same if you were on the highway riding and they saw the plate wasn't displayed.
just to throw fuel in the fire...

What if when they stopped, he accidentally bumped his plate which was mounted vertically on the axle, and hadn't yet fixed it? It'd be the same as an officer stopping you when you're sitting in your driveway with a messed up plate, 'assuming' that you had been riding it in the same exact condition he saw, and giving you a ticket?

Btw, where does a ticket like that take affect?? I'm assuming only driving, as otherwise they could get you if it were in your driveway, no?

BTW, i didn't look up the law regarding mcycle plates, so if the vertical mounting in itself is illegal, oops

- Steve
post #13 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:27 AM
Don't stare for too long

Sportbike: 2 Wheels and an engine
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: ?

Don't give cops reason to hassle you and you won't have to deal with this nonsense.

Better yet, if you want to play, stay off the major roads and you won't have to deal with weekend drivers/traffic.
post #14 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:32 AM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

the cop has no probable cause to drive next to a parking lot? Or the cop has no probable cause to protect an owners parking lot?

If a cop gets a complaint over the phone, they need to investigate it.

If you got a 50lb weed bag sitting on your gas tank. It is in plain view. Just like your license plate.
post #15 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:33 AM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:
The plate I'm not saying he was wrong on about that. But not having PC is my problem. What if it were 3 guys in 3 different cars. Dude you're arguing with someone who has a degree in Criminal Law...come on now![/QUOTE]

LOL I love the type that say that

Not a very good at that. THE PC was the fact a motorist complained that was enough for them to speak with them. Hence they never got a ticket for weaving and speeding and only for the plates.

Probable cause

The most widely held, common definition is "a reasonable belief that a person has committed a crime."[1]

Another definition is that is "a reasonable amount of suspicion, supported by circumstances sufficiently strong to justify a prudent and cautious person's belief that certain facts are probably true."[2]

In the context of warrants, the Oxford Companion to American Law defines probable cause as "information sufficient to warrant a prudent person's belief that the wanted individual had committed a crime (for an arrest warrant) or that evidence of a crime or contraband would be found in a search (for a search warrant)." "Probable cause" is a stronger standard of evidence than a reasonable suspicion, but weaker than what is required to secure a criminal conviction. Even hearsay can supply probable cause if it is from a reliable source or is supported by other evidence, according to the Aguilar-Spinelli test.

post #16 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:36 AM

Dude you had to go online and research that I know what PC is. Anyone can call in and complain and say they just saw 3 motorcycles riding fast thru traffic, if the cop didn't see it with his own eyes he cant do shit. It would be like me calling 911 and saying hey I just saw some guys smoking weed in a car. Ok they cant do shit cuz they didn't see it. So whateva I know my shit, I dont need to go online and research
post #17 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:37 AM

And hear say has to be by a reliable source...WHO some UNKNOWN motorist...yea OK?
post #18 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:39 AM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Your plate is state property. PC is established for any thing with regards to it via that fact alone.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #19 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:41 AM

Sportbike: 08 gsx six fiddy F
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: forum link

How can it be state property if WE PAY FOR IT?

2008 Suzuki gsx 650f.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
Thomas Jefferson
post #20 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:42 AM
1 piece at a time

so is it legal to have it mounted vertically as long as it's lighted??

I can't find anything for it

- Steve
post #21 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:42 AM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by michowski View Post
You pay for the privilege the plate gives you.

If you own it, why do you have to 'renew' it?

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #22 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:46 AM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michowski View Post
we are "renting" it. arch can describe the legal term

like I buy windows xp, I don't really own it. I just own the right to use it under microsofts 10 page worth of terms.

to the other guy. if someone calls up the police. The police has to go out and investigate it. They got busted for a plate, not for reckless driving.
post #23 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:47 AM
the blackout menace

Sportbike: 2007 GSX-R750
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to skeezy07
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexraptor View Post

i have been told they are. i had one vertically on my first bike and got busted for it. but im in indiana so it may or may not be different who knows.if u can find somewhere that says vertically mounted plates on bikes are LEGAL,id fight it. if not, id just pay the ticket and be done with it. just my
post #24 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexraptor View Post

No I know for a fact it isn't legal. I just like how it looks.
post #25 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taledarkside View Post
we are "renting" it. arch can describe the legal term

like I buy windows xp, I don't really own it. I just own the right to use it under microsofts 10 page worth of terms.

to the other guy. if someone calls up the police. The police has to go out and investigate it. They got busted for a plate, not for reckless driving.
So is it illegal to drill four holes into the license plate?
post #26 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:50 AM
the blackout menace

Sportbike: 2007 GSX-R750
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to skeezy07
Quote:
Originally Posted by drozek View Post
No I know for a fact it isn't legal. I just like how it looks.
then there u go. u got busted jsut pay up. nothing u can do about it.
post #27 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:51 AM

Yea C2M PM me stating he was a cop for 6 yrs and knows more then me...Thats why he's jobless now right? How many cops actually follow the "law?" How many cops pull someone over for speeding and then want to search their truck? When technically they can't but cops talk people into their game and somehow get to look inside their trunk. C2M...very manly of you to PM me....I'm glad you came from a family full of cops...
post #28 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:53 AM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...ns/vsd7001.pdf

(b) Every registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for
which it is issued so as to prevent the plate from swinging and at a height of not less than 12 inches from
the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible and shall
be maintained in a condition to be clearly legible, free from any materials that would obstruct the visibility
of the plate, including, but not limited to, glass covers and tinted plastic covers. Clear plastic covers are
permissible as long as they remain clear and do not obstruct the visibility of the plates. Registration stickers
issued as evidence of renewed annual registration shall be attached to registration plates as required by the
Secretary of State, and be clearly visible at all times.
The following offenses in the Offense Code Book are subject to a $75 fine:

post #29 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:55 AM

I agree with you on the plate, he shouldn't have had it like that.
post #30 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:57 AM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:
Yea C2M PM me stating he was a cop for 6 yrs and knows more then me...Thats why he's jobless now right? How many cops actually follow the "law?" How many cops pull someone over for speeding and then want to search their truck? When technically they can't but cops talk people into their game and somehow get to look inside their trunk. C2M...very manly of you to PM me....I'm glad you came from a family full of cops...
No problem. Good luck in police academy. You shall fit in well. Yes they do break the law but simply put the law was just posted but you knew that why cause you have a degree in criminal bullshit.

And why am I not there cause Yep i broke the law. The law of improper use of a Gov. computer Dam i was surfing CLSB again

Oh you one your way girl you one your way to being a criminal also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode