pulled over for doing "wheelies" - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Traffic Violations Advice Corner Got screwed lately? Get advise from others that dealt with it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

pulled over for doing "wheelies"

I need some input, has anyone here ever gotten pulled over for doing wheelies? I was pulled over a few nights ago for doing one. It wasn't even a wheely in my opinion, the front of the bike went up for a few second while I was accelerating downhill. Unfortunately there was a cop hiding somewhere and he pulled me over. The officer was pretty cool about it and did'nt harrass me but still gave me a ticket and a courtdate for the "wheely". Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone here has ever gotten pulled over for doing wheelies and what should i expect in my courtdate. Thank you everyone for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:32 PM
DRZ
CLSB's in-house hooligan

Sportbike: couple braaapers
Years Riding: 13 street years
How you found us: your mom

Send a message via AIM to DRZ
I've gotten AT LEAST a dozen wheelie tickets. Just another drain on the wallet, no biggie. Keep doing 'em, screw the man! It's not a big deal as far as court goes, fuck it

Take it to the STREETS!
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:37 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

"Wheelies" in traffic are illegal and law enforcement statewide is cracking down on all kinds of traffic violations, especially ones that involve speed and stunts, by bikes. Your best defense would be to explain to the judge that it was not intentional. That you were proceeding downhill and that you gave it a tad too much "gas" and the front wheel came up a bit. It may not help, but at least it's plausable...Go in with an attitude and I assure you the judge will slap you with the max fine and costs plus it's a mover that will count against your license and will raise your insurance. What town and county did you get stopped in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

thanks bro, appreciate your input. how much will this cost me anyway?
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeBiker View Post
"Wheelies" in traffic are illegal and law enforcement statewide is cracking down on all kinds of traffic violations, especially ones that involve speed and stunts, by bikes. Your best defense would be to explain to the judge that it was not intentional. That you were proceeding downhill and that you gave it a tad too much "gas" and the front wheel came up a bit. It may not help, but at least it's plausable...Go in with an attitude and I assure you the judge will slap you with the max fine and costs plus it's a mover that will count against your license and will raise your insurance. What town and county did you get stopped in?

the officer did'nt even ask for my insurance, i was pulled over at Park Ridge
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:41 PM
DRZ
CLSB's in-house hooligan

Quote:
Speaking from experience, it's really not a big deal. I know they're yelping about cracking down and yada yada but I've never heard one peep from a judge. "Here's your fine and your supervision. Next!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr1 View Post
thanks bro, appreciate your input. how much will this cost me anyway?
With the lawyer and the fine... about $400-$500. If you need a kickass lawyer, hit me up

Take it to the STREETS!
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
So 400-500 for a wheelie is worth doing them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
With the lawyer and the fine... about $400-$500. If you need a kickass lawyer, hit me up

i'm going to need a lawyer? what if i go to the courtdate without a lawyer?
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ View Post
Speaking from experience, it's really not a big deal. I know they're yelping about cracking down and yada yada but I've never heard one peep from a judge. "Here's your fine and your supervision. Next!"

The way your talking i'm willin to bet your lawer is damn good from all the practice he gets with you! Probably sending his kids to harvard!
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:47 PM
DRZ
CLSB's in-house hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
So 400-500 for a wheelie is worth doing them?
Only when I decide not to run, yes

Take it to the STREETS!
post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:48 PM
DRZ
CLSB's in-house hooligan

Quote:
i'm going to need a lawyer? what if i go to the courtdate without a lawyer?
Dress wel and be polite, but honestly you won't hear any guff, seriously. They have bigger fish to fry. I'm not being cocky, I promise you, it's really not a big deal

Take it to the STREETS!
post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:51 PM

Sportbike: Triumph Bonneville...the original sportbike!
Years Riding: Since about 11 years after my adult teeth came in
How you found us: I tripped over ya on my way to the can!

You're lucky he didn't ask for your insurance if you don't have any.
Park Ridge is in Cook county. This is/was a ticket that the officer has discretion on...he didn't have to write you. He chose to and you will either have to defend yourself or plead guilty and pay the fine.
I say defend yourself, but do it as I said...explain that it was unintentional. This way you're not calling the officer a liar, but you're offering the court a plausible explanation for the violation.
No one likes to pay a fine...and, in Illinois 3 moving violations, which this is, will result in a license suspension if convicted.
And... he didn't need to ask for your insurance for your insurance company to know of your violations...the insurance company will run your license at renewal time and raise your rates or drop you from coverage if violations come up on your record. It's a matter of routine.

Take it from me...having your license suspended and paying fines and/or being on supervision is not the way to go...it may seem like a big joke to some, but if you listen to that you'll end up with tremendously expensive insurance rates or with a suspended license, or both. Our cocky friend who claims he's not being cocky is either pulling your chain or is just lucky the SOS hasn't caught up with him and suspended his license yet.

Last edited by OldTimeBiker; 10-12-2008 at 09:02 PM.
post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:52 PM
RIP Ashwin

Sportbike: twin turbo supercharged busa
Years Riding: Just got my license
How you found us: A tramp stamp

This thread sucks.
post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:52 PM

best bet..... Drz last one is the best thing i've heard from him. Do the whole dress up thing and be sure to be full of yes your honor.
post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:53 PM

Sportbike: 1998 CR 250
Years Riding: Dirt: 1988 Street: 2001
How you found us: Original Gangsta

Send a message via AIM to MoTo178 Send a message via MSN to MoTo178 Send a message via Yahoo to MoTo178
Can't you just mail the shit in and request supervision? I didnt go to court for either one of my wheelie tickets.

Sean
NESBA ADVANCED #178

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #16 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:54 PM

Sportbike: CBR1000/GSXR1000
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: Buddy

Send a message via MSN to BFLY
Quote:
the officer did'nt even ask for my insurance, i was pulled over at Park Ridge
Hills in Park Ridge?????

Lawyer up.

過労死
--------------------------------------------
Brian
Nesba #98
CBR1000
post #17 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:54 PM
RIP Ashwin

Sportbike: twin turbo supercharged busa
Years Riding: Just got my license
How you found us: A tramp stamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTo178 View Post
Can't you just mail the shit in and request supervision? I didnt go to court for either one of my wheelie tickets.
Showing up for court is always your best bet.
post #18 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Dress wel and be polite, but honestly you won't hear any guff, seriously. They have bigger fish to fry. I'm not being cocky, I promise you, it's really not a big deal
Quote:
Park Ridge is in Cook county. This is/was a ticket that the officer has discretion on...he didn't have to write you. He chose to and you will either have to defend yourself or plead guilty and pay the fine.
I say defend yourself, but do it as I said...explain that it was unintentional. This way you're not calling the officer a liar, but you're offering the court a plausible explanation for the violation.
No one likes to pay a fine...and, in Illinois 3 moving violations, which this is, will result in a license suspension if convicted.
And... he didn't need to ask for your insurance...the insurance company will run your license at renewal time and raise your rates or drop you from coverage if violations come up on your record. It's a matter of routine.
Thanks again!! and no worries I have insurance. This was very helpfull to me.

Ride safe!!!!
post #19 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

Print out the thread from here that R1 is a slow bike, and tell him the judge it isn't possible.

Lawyer up, dress up, take the fine like a man.
post #20 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:59 PM
DRZ
CLSB's in-house hooligan

Quote:
And... he didn't need to ask for your insurance...the insurance company will run your license at renewal time and raise your rates or drop you from coverage if violations come up on your record. It's a matter of routine.
I've gotten loads of tickets, not proud of it, just being honest but I've never ever gotten suspended, just supervision put on top of supervision put on top of supervision etc. Seeing as it happened in cook county, it's to your benefit. You can try to plead not guilty and say it was an accident but he'll probably tell you not to ride a bike it you don't know what you're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVRC51 View Post
This thread sucks.
He had a legit question, I had a legit answer. Don't read it of you don't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poser33 View Post
best bet..... Drz last one is the best thing i've heard from him. Do the whole dress up thing and be sure to be full of yes your honor.
Indeed, best of luck!

Take it to the STREETS!
post #21 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFLY View Post
Hills in Park Ridge?????

Lawyer up.
Ok maybe it was'nt much of a down hill lol, it's the downhill under the tracks on touhy. I was coming from hooters on higgins and took cumberland and right on touhy, that "downhill" under the tracks after that right turn is what i'm talking about.

Last edited by ctr1; 10-12-2008 at 09:11 PM.
post #22 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 09:00 PM
DRZ
CLSB's in-house hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave13 View Post
Lawyer up, dress up, take the fine like a man.
Truer words were never spoken!

Take it to the STREETS!
post #23 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 09:07 PM

Sportbike: 08 gsx six fiddy F
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: forum link

I thought the law was if the front wheel leaves the ground you autoamtically lose your license? Or is that just another law thats not enforced?

2008 Suzuki gsx 650f.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
Thomas Jefferson
post #24 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 09:11 PM
DRZ
CLSB's in-house hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by michowski View Post
I thought the law was if the front wheel leaves the ground you autoamtically lose your license? Or is that just another law thats not enforced?
You thought wrong! I'd be in prison if that were the case and yet I've never even been suspended! It's just another moving violation, water under the bridge

Take it to the STREETS!
post #25 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 09:28 PM
DRZ
CLSB's in-house hooligan

Quote:
Our cocky friend who claims he's not being cocky is either pulling your chain or is just lucky the SOS hasn't caught up with him and suspended his license yet.
I'm not being cocky, he wanted advice on a wheelie ticket and I have experience in that field. I've NEVER been suspended because I always use a lawyer. Defending yourself will get you screwed. Hire a lawyer, even if your lawyer doesn't say much, the fact that you're using one goes a long way in the courtroom and also you then won't have to speak at all. You can listen to the old timer or you can take my 100% sincere input and use it. It's your ticket not mine, so do whataver you want. Once again, best of luck but you're not going to need it

Take it to the STREETS!
post #26 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Quote:
I've admired your posts in the past, but this one about "cracking down" really has me questioning what they're cracking down on. They're always cracking down, every season it comes up, every year the same story is served. Local news stations broadcast this, and yes they issue some tickets. I don't know if this is to instill paranoia and make you scared of breaking the laws, but have seen it over and over again and am getting quite sick of it, no offense to you, but the media has started brainwashing your thoughts perhaps?

Oh, and "dress up" wear a suit. Nothing less. Don't show up in a "collared shirt" (flannel).
post #27 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 09:57 PM
DRZ
CLSB's in-house hooligan

Mort, thigs like this?...

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/myfox/pa...d=1.1.1&sflg=1

Take it to the STREETS!
post #28 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 09:57 PM
BH

Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?

Send a message via Yahoo to BH
Quote:
I've gotten AT LEAST a dozen wheelie tickets.
Quote:
With the lawyer and the fine... about $400-$500.
$5-6k spent on doing wheelies?
post #29 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Quote:
YES! Every fricking year. I'm still a n00b and young, but when I started riding street bike back in '02, it was present then.
post #30 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 10:00 PM
DRZ
CLSB's in-house hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH View Post
$5-6k spent on doing wheelies?
Definately in the thousands. Hey, ya gotta pay to play. I like to do wheelies, I know it's illegal if I get caught. I make my own decisions and ride my own ride and as long as I'm not endangering anyone else when I do 'em, it's my problem and not anyone else's.

Before I start to get flamed, spare me the song and dance, I'm not looking for an arguement, just helping the guy out. If you don't like wheelies, don't do 'em. As for me, I'll be excercising vertical joyrides. Rock on!

Take it to the STREETS!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode