IL Occupancy Restr's? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Traffic Violations Advice Corner Got screwed lately? Get advise from others that dealt with it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Sgt USMC

Sportbike: 2006 GSX-R 750
Years Riding: Apr 2007
How you found us: Google

IL Occupancy Restr's?

Has heard of a law concerning apartment rental that states that a family, especially if it includes a toddler, has to have a certain number of rooms in their apartment? The 'person' in question is saying a 3bdrm home/apt is required for a man/wife and toddler..

Only asking cuz it seems odd that the state/gov't would have an occupancy limit on apartments, especially since as far as affordability goes, a 3person family may see it as more cost-effective to rent a 1 or 2-bdrm..

"I and the Public know, what all schoolchildren learn
Those to whom evil is done, do evil in return"
W. H. Auden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 05:11 AM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk

The people in the townhouse across the street from us has 22+ people living in it. They get away with it because it goes by living space, not by bedrooms. Here is Americe you can sleep in the kitchen, it is considered living space. Ironic, their house is in forclosure. With that many people, you would think one of them could afford the rent. They aren't paying it, and the homeowner cannot afford it any other way.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 05:16 AM
Formerly RwS Films

Sportbike: 2007 Yamaha FZ6, Snow Fiddy
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: Other

Send a message via AIM to PaulieRedCoat
I know that I saw something from Aurora once... not sure if it's a city code or state. It had a lot more than just living space though. I would check with your city.

Namaste

To the times I'll never remember, with the friends I'll never forget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Retired but still working

Sportbike: 1994 H/D Softail Custom
Years Riding: Long Enough
How you found us: search

Send a message via Yahoo to Dean
There are right and wrong responses here. A Kitchen - although taken into account in the square footage of a home - does NOT constitute as "habitable" living space. This would also include bath, laundry and closet areas to name a few.

National Occupancy standards are laws that have been around for some time but have come to the surface lately. I am not going to explain it, I will let you read it for yourselves.

The City of Elgin uses these nat'l standards within their ciy code and does a very good job explaining them. Here ya go>

http://www.cityofelgin.org/index.asp?NID=418

When you are done there, click here and you can read the defining terms. This is a nationally recognized law - your community should have local ordinance in place to prevent overcrowding in residential developments.

http://www.cityofelgin.org/DocumentView.asp?DID=3489

Hope this helps.

Dean

What do the internet and Channel 11 have in common? They are both a window to the world; put it out there and do not be surprised who will see it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 09:11 AM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

AFAIK, In Illinois, Occupancy is a local matter, legislated at the city, township or county level. I know of no state laws.

Many college towns have laws that limit how many unrelated people can live in a single unit. If you want to find out what the laws are, start at the village or city level and work up.

The national standards are just that, and are not law, just a set of recommendations that governments can choose to follow or not. In this area are building construction, electrical, and plumbing codes, fire codes, occupancy codes, zoning codes, etc.

Craig
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 09:30 AM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk

According to Sgt. McNamara of Romeoville PD, a kitchen is living space. We have both tried to clean up houses like I have mentioned. It may be different from town to town, I have only looked into this with Romeoville.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 10:09 AM

Sportbike: Kawa 650R
Years Riding: Never long enough to learn something new
How you found us: another forum

Several towns have regulations for this and very from town to town. The bad part is it is almost never enforced. Check with your town.
It is sad to see numbers that bad. (22 people in one place) They are called single family homes for a reason. I can understand it now with people out of work, but the houses that have 2 plus familys just to save a buck is wrong.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 10:33 AM
SV650N

Sportbike: 2005 SV650SN
Years Riding: Since 1980
How you found us: craigslist

If the kitchen is living space... does that mean the double oven counts as a bunk bed?

Seriously, codes are typically written to prevent over-occupancy in order to protect citizen's health. 22 people? That's ridiculous.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 10:36 AM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave13 View Post
The people in the townhouse across the street from us has 22+ people living in it. They get away with it because it goes by living space, not by bedrooms. Here is Americe you can sleep in the kitchen, it is considered living space. Ironic, their house is in forclosure. With that many people, you would think one of them could afford the rent. They aren't paying it, and the homeowner cannot afford it any other way.
+1

My old townhomes, there were 20 something people in one 3 bedroom w/basement across the street. Also nextdoor was a Lithuanian flophouse that had beds in the living room, dining room, etc... God only knows how many lived there.

It was unincorporated Downers Grove, so I think it was county governed.

The right way is not always the popular and easy way. Standing for right when it is unpopular is a true test of moral character

Looking for a German Shepherd? PM me
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Retired but still working

Sportbike: 1994 H/D Softail Custom
Years Riding: Long Enough
How you found us: search

Send a message via Yahoo to Dean
BEAC: Thanks for correcting my typo; I should not have used the word standard with law in the same context. I appreciate you bringing that up.

Dean

What do the internet and Channel 11 have in common? They are both a window to the world; put it out there and do not be surprised who will see it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode