Originally Posted by a little bird from California
If you're like me, you have had at least one citation for the lack of a front plate and you still have no intention of affixing it. We all know why this farce of a law is enforced, red light cameras of course.
I'm no lawyer, but I say here oh my brothers and sisters that the legal loophole is large enough to drive a truck [through]. Scroll down for more.
1. I'll make the largest point first and then trickle down to the other details. A red light camera captures a moving violation. The ticket you receive in the mail is an UNsigned contract where you did NOT sign the "promise to appear" line. The refusal to sign at a traffic stop to promise to appear will grant you a free trip to jail. The contract is not valid. I did not promise to appear, so I won't appear.
2. The accusation comes regular mail. No certification, signature or otherwise. Therefor, there is no proof you have received it. That's it for the legality, now on to the other details to ponder:
3. If you take the time to notice, you will find that at least some of the intersections in question display a yellow light that is a FULL second shorter than those without a camera. This is highly suspect of revenue padding.
4. These cameras are sold by a vendor: Redflex who has a say to where they are placed, and gets a piece of the pie. They are in it for money, not safety.L.A. red light cameras clicking for safety or revenue? - Los Angeles Times
5. The city makes over $11,430,000 a year on these violations. Easy money.
-So, I got one of these tickets. What do I do? Throw it away. I have been fortunate enough to not get one of these, but one of my poorer friends did and upon my advice, it went away like a [email protected]
in the wind. If I get one, I will probably frame it.
-But what about when my registration is due, then what? If they cannot provide a document of the incident with your signature (because it does not exist), then they have no grounds for punishment or action.
-But I went in to protest the ticket and I lost, wtf? I'll bet when you went in, the FIRST thing they had you do is sign the ticket. Please refer to #1 at the top. Once you sign, they got your family vegetables.
-They sent me a threat and I'm scared, what do I do? They are doing the minimum to scare you out of your cash and that's all the energy they can muster. If they don't know that you got the original ticket, how do they know you got the follow-up threat? They don't and it has no merit.
The fact is that 30,000 people a year DO pay these tickets and they will not bother to go after a few who know the truth. How many of you have ever been fined or jailed for skipping out on jury duty as threatened? So why would you subject yourself to $300+ fines, higher insurance and traffic school? I rest my case.
I'm not a lawyer and I don't encourage you run yellow or red lights. If you decide to put your plate on, don't be scared of this farce. I also encourage you to serve jury duty if called. I was nearly killed by a city bus and was vindicated by the good people who didn't skip out. Cleared in a government court against a city agency - sweet justice.