More traffic camera BS - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Traffic Violations Advice Corner Got screwed lately? Get advise from others that dealt with it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
stay classy

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: Bunch
How you found us: Craigslist Personals

More traffic camera BS

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,4094414.story

Automated enforcement of speed limits would be allowed in the Chicago region and other areas under a proposed state law.

The move is part of a bill that would permit some counties and municipalities to mail speeding tickets of up to $100 for drivers caught going too fast by unmanned, stationary radar cameras positioned alongside roadways.

"I cannot feel sorry for those people caught by camera, because they are breaking the law," said state Sen. Terry Link (D- Waukegan), a sponsor of the legislation, which could move to a Senate vote next week. If approved by the General Assembly and signed by the governor, the law would take effect Jan. 1.

More than 500 speed-related traffic deaths occurred in Illinois in 2007, according to state records. Nationally, about 13,000 people died that year in accidents where speeding was the cause or a contributing factor, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Under the proposed Illinois law, speeding tickets issued by automated surveillance would be treated as non-moving offenses, like parking tickets and red-light violations, and convictions or guilty pleas would not go on drivers' records, officials said.
Pictures of the offending license plate would be mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle. The driver and passengers would not be photographed.

500 deaths? That's enough to need these cameras?

And I don't understand how a speeding ticket can be a non-moving violation. Sounds like the state is trying to skirt around the law to issue these tickets. I thought they have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it was you driving.

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil,

'The Light at the End of the Tunnel' has been turned off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 08:53 AM
VVV yes, me

Sportbike: 07DR650SE,02 rc51, R.I.P. '00 RC51
Years Riding: Since Peewee got his bike stolen
How you found us: Yer ol' lady whispered it in my ear!

Remember this when yer woman gets you a non-moving speeding ticket in your car. Thanks love. And then add the the insurance photo one too! Big brother at work.

Grab yer ankles people.

Anything to put more people outta work. Like the self checkouts at the grocery store. Which I refuse to use.

What if I told you insane was working fifty hours a week in some office for fifty years at the end of which they tell you to piss off; ending up in some retirement village hoping to die before suffering the indignity of trying to make it to the toilet on time? Wouldn't you consider that to be insane?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 08:53 AM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

Ugh

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 08:54 AM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plano 51 View Post
Like the self checkouts at the grocery store. Which I refuse to use.
I like those. My wife doesn't.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Non-moving violation because they have a difficult time proving who was driving.

I was just listenting to a discussion about this on the radio. The bill is already seeing heavy opposition. Also, just saw a study saying the cameras actually INCREASE accidents because people make eratic movements/actions to slow down when they see them.

$$>Safety

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:19 AM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
its a matter of time before the people push back with this shit of changing laws to suit the needs of the minute

bullshit its not about money
"Last year, Rod Blagojevich, then governor, announced a plan to put speed cameras on interstates in Illinois. He said the plan could raise $50 million a year and allow hiting hundreds of troopers"

bullshit the ISP wont see a dime

if its truly about safely why not make the roadways safer, that 3" deep crater in the lane that makes me swerve half a lane over sure isnt helping

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:37 AM
black magic

Sportbike: gxr600k8
Years Riding: 4yrs
How you found us: newenough.com

a work around the law to get more money out of us yet if you don't pay then your breaking the law. i saw on the news that those red light cameras are causing more accidents than preventing them (as their intentions right) so their answer to that is to put timers on the lights like the crossing ones which will cost a but load more money and not fix anything. what about the shooting that hap right in front of one of those police cameras and the mayor said it was a old camera that wasn't good ... waste waste waste.chicago needs to drop out of the bid for the O cause it ain't gonna hap, i'll tell ya what will hap is a riot against meters and all cameras.

i want to drink, but only to kill a certain few brain cells and i don't care how many i have to take out to get to them.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:39 AM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio-nuke View Post
a work around the law to get more money out of us yet if you don't pay then your breaking the law. i saw on the news that those red light cameras are causing more accidents than preventing them (as their intentions right) so their answer to that is to put timers on the lights like the crossing ones which will cost a but load more money and not fix anything. what about the shooting that hap right in front of one of those police cameras and the mayor said it was a old camera that wasn't good ... waste waste waste.chicago needs to drop out of the bid for the O cause it ain't gonna hap, i'll tell ya what will hap is a riot against meters and all cameras.
im waiting and hoping for that riot

just remember the camera cant see behind itself

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
I'm in Phoenix for the next couple of days, they are all over the place, people drive 85 til they see the sign, Photo Radar Ahead, then jam up the brakes, causing traffic back ups and accidents. I have seen 2 in 2 days. They are non moving violations, to skirt the Bill of Rights, which lets you face your accuser in a court of law. Before they made them "non moving violations" people were refusing to pay them, because of that right. Then they found out the "tickets" were not being issued by the state, but rather by the company that the state leased the equipment from, apparently the company got a portion of the revenue of the fines collected. So once again, it isn't about our safety, its about the $$$$$$

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:11 AM
Slava

Sportbike: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
Years Riding: Since '98
How you found us: chicago russian riders

On the news last night they were talking about the parking meters in Chicago. Someone is protesting by spraypainting the meters label. Nevermind, somebody already beat me to it in another thread.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
slippery slope.

a few years ago it was illegal to use cameras for enforcement, Daley pushed for changes so he could put those blue flashing cameras in hi crime areas. Now they are all over the city

Next he pushed the law even further, so they could do a "test" program to catch people "running" red lights (or stopping a foot past the line) at high accident prone intersections.

before you know it there will be speed cameras every 500 feet, all those traffic cams you see on the news, that they installed to watch real time traffic and snow conditions a few years back can be easily upgraded with a radar gun. if this law passes every one of those cameras, all of the flashing blue cameras, tool booth cameras, will be upgraded immediatly to form a network of speed cameras.

and dont believe their shit about it not being a moving offense, remember the tollway was supposed to be temporary, seat belts weren't supposed to be a primary offense and the lottery was supposed to fund schools

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 11:34 AM
NAEMT- Paramedic, RN

Sportbike: 2007 CBR 600rr
Years Riding: 6 years riding street bikes
How you found us: chicago riders

we for real need a riot in chicago.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 06:44 PM
How you like me now?

Sportbike: 06GSXR1000 totalled, wife's GS500
Years Riding: since Friday
How you found us: voices in my head told me

Send a message via Yahoo to Bratva5
interesting news report http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZINQC_yMnQ0

Russ
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 07:14 PM
b boy on his k3 liter

Sportbike: 03 GSXR 1000
Years Riding: over 6 years
How you found us: friends

Send a message via Yahoo to b boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp3823 View Post
+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000

b boy
03 Gsxr 1000
00 TL 1000R
USAF
USAFHG
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 07:25 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Everytime someone notices that they get called a tinfoil hatter.. Surprised nobody has gotten you yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
slippery slope.

a few years ago it was illegal to use cameras for enforcement, Daley pushed for changes so he could put those blue flashing cameras in hi crime areas. Now they are all over the city

Next he pushed the law even further, so they could do a "test" program to catch people "running" red lights (or stopping a foot past the line) at high accident prone intersections.

before you know it there will be speed cameras every 500 feet, all those traffic cams you see on the news, that they installed to watch real time traffic and snow conditions a few years back can be easily upgraded with a radar gun. if this law passes every one of those cameras, all of the flashing blue cameras, tool booth cameras, will be upgraded immediatly to form a network of speed cameras.

and dont believe their shit about it not being a moving offense, remember the tollway was supposed to be temporary, seat belts weren't supposed to be a primary offense and the lottery was supposed to fund schools
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 07:26 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp3823 View Post
now that would make for some interesting video.. if the pos things actually worked as well as they want us to believe they do

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode