Advice on B.S. ticket? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Traffic Violations Advice Corner Got screwed lately? Get advise from others that dealt with it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
The Sausage king

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: Since my mid-life crisis
How you found us: Hankered for a hunka cheese

Advice on B.S. ticket?

I come out of work yesterday and I spot a ticket on my car. I think, my car is parked in a lot and I paid for the whole day, so WTF?
The ticket says for a plastic plate cover. Double WTF! I'd understand a dark tinted plate cover, but its clear plastic!
I have a clear plastic cover for no particular reason other than it may stop someone who wants to snatch my plate sticker. Anyone know if I can successfully challenge this and win? Or have some advice?
There was a bunch of other cars with tickets in the lot; this was in the west Loop.
Fucken city really trying to get every last dollar out of us.

Da Bears!
Ducati
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:16 PM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
Nope you screwed. All plate covers are illegal.

Ian
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

I don't think CPD can ticket in a private lot. Contest it by mail, can't hurt.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Racing View Post
Nope you screwed. All plate covers are illegal.
Yep.

Petty ticket in MHO. City is taking every advantage to increase revenue.

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:22 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman View Post
I come out of work yesterday and I spot a ticket on my car. I think, my car is parked in a lot and I paid for the whole day, so WTF?
The ticket says for a plastic plate cover. Double WTF! I'd understand a dark tinted plate cover, but its clear plastic!
I have a clear plastic cover for no particular reason other than it may stop someone who wants to snatch my plate sticker. Anyone know if I can successfully challenge this and win? Or have some advice?
There was a bunch of other cars with tickets in the lot; this was in the west Loop.
Fucken city really trying to get every last dollar out of us.
I went to Costco yesterday and there were two squads going up and down through the parking lot checking everyones city stickers

I have my damn city sticker.. (love how they added the zone pass to it so it's one sticker.. still wonder why it costs more to do that than 2 stickers though?) but why are our tax dollars being used to increase revenue by screwing us? Seems to me we are making an investment none of us want to make... Not exactly serving and protecting...
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:24 PM
CLSB Pimpologist

Sportbike: K5 Gixxer 750
Years Riding: 9 years but not that many miles....
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to HEESH
When did they make clear ones illegal? It used to be just tinted.

------------------------------------------------
-Heesh

I can't wait for the summer...
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEESH View Post
When did they make clear ones illegal? It used to be just tinted.
ANYTHING that covers the plate is technically illegal... clear or not.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Obsessed and Deranged

Sportbike: SV1000S
Years Riding: too many years
How you found us: dumb luck

some clear ones can foil the red light cameras by making the numbers blurry when viewed at an angle but look fine straight on
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
The Sausage king

Sucks....... I'll try to contest it anyway and see if I have some luck.
Shenanigans I tell ya. Thanks for the advice.

Da Bears!
Ducati
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:48 PM
A.K.A. Vodka Waters

Sportbike: '06 GSX-R600 Red/Black
Years Riding: a few weeks
How you found us: Fell asleep on the keyboard, woke up here

Send a message via AIM to muddy Send a message via MSN to muddy
Maybe it's a fix-it type ticket - take off the cover and prove it to the court that it's no longer on there.

Adam
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:56 PM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
i got dinged on this 3 years ago, ALL plate covers were made illegal by the state in jan while i was still in wisconsin at school and had no idea

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 02:39 PM
1 piece at a time

Sportbike: Ninja ZX-6'DinoSaki'
Years Riding: Since I joined!
How you found us: teh intarwebz

Send a message via AIM to hexraptor Send a message via MSN to hexraptor Send a message via Yahoo to hexraptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotgreg View Post
I went to Costco yesterday and there were two squads going up and down through the parking lot checking everyones city stickers

I have my damn city sticker.. (love how they added the zone pass to it so it's one sticker.. still wonder why it costs more to do that than 2 stickers though?) but why are our tax dollars being used to increase revenue by screwing us? Seems to me we are making an investment none of us want to make... Not exactly serving and protecting...
good point!

- Steve
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 05:34 PM
I am the Stig.

Sportbike: 09' Triumph Daytona 675, 06' Triumph Thruxton, 74' CB360
Years Riding: Some say he's been ridin motorcycles since before they were invented... all we know is he's the Stig
How you found us: Met Chills while rockclimbing.

Anyone else notice that Chicago is taxing bottled water? I might've just missed this but why tax water in bottles but not 'flavored' water or any other drink.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 05:40 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobbins View Post
Anyone else notice that Chicago is taxing bottled water? I might've just missed this but why tax water in bottles but not 'flavored' water or any other drink.
because water in a plastic bottle is unfriendly to the environment... it should be free to play and frolic in our beautiful pristine ecosystem (like the chicago river)

However pop is icky and needs to be protected from our beautiful eco system.. So for that plastic is ok.

Except for Mountain Dew and Green River... Which are the same color and consistency as the Chicago river.. So they should be taxes as well.

Also... Why is pop taxed at 13.25% (bad for you sugar sin tax) but oreos taxed at 2%?
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
The Sausage king

Quote:
because water in a plastic bottle is unfriendly to the environment... it should be free to play and frolic in our beautiful pristine ecosystem (like the chicago river)

However pop is icky and needs to be protected from our beautiful eco system.. So for that plastic is ok.

Except for Mountain Dew and Green River... Which are the same color and consistency as the Chicago river.. So they should be taxes as well.

Also... Why is pop taxed at 13.25% (bad for you sugar sin tax) but oreos taxed at 2%?
One is food, the other candy. Funny.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,7082646.story

Just another way to get more money out of us because the government has mismanaged their money. Like me telling my boss, I'm making more money starting next week because I wasted my past pay on booze, electronics and lottery tickets.

Da Bears!
Ducati
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman View Post
Like me telling my boss, I'm making more money starting next week because I wasted my past pay on booze, electronics and lottery tickets.
This does not work... I tried it.
He just rolled his eyes at me.

You know what else I found interesting about the new laws is.. It matters where you buy...

At Fox and Obel they have a counter in the back where you can buy muffins and stuff in the morning. If you go there the muffin is 2$ plus whatever restaurant entertainment tax and all that is (we are charged some entertainment tax for breakfast too.. even though I don't think my job is that entertaining...) ... but if you walk over the the muffin counter.. and buy the same muffin .. and pay for it at checkout.. it is food.. and taxed at 2% or whatever
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
The Sausage king

Yup, I'm just gonna go to Indiana to buy my muffins and candy.

Da Bears!
Ducati
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 09:58 PM

Sportbike: ninja
Years Riding: since I was a kid
How you found us: K.I.T.T.

for fawks sake

take a picture of your plate without the plastic lens and mail it in. Sometimes they send you a letter in the mail saying your "not guilty"
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 10:25 PM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

It's illegal. I got one for that a few weeks ago. I doubt they were checking for city stickers. Not all cities have them. We don't.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkotlin View Post
It's illegal. I got one for that a few weeks ago. I doubt they were checking for city stickers. Not all cities have them. We don't.
One cop was in the car and the other was walking around the fronts of cars looking at the passenger side of the windshield... and talking to the cop who was in the cruiser idling behind the car he was looking at.. This was a few rows from me so I couldn't hear what they were talking about.. but I saw them look at two cars in a row while I got the baby out of the car and started heading towards the door.... I am guessing that's what they were doing... Imagine they might find a # of other interesting things if they go and run all the plates in a Costco parking lot...

They might have been doing something else.. but that's what it looked like to me.. any CPD know otherwise.. or anyone familiar with some new sting operation.. feel free to correct me
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 11:40 PM

Sportbike: R6
How you found us: Sportbike Track Time

I assume you talking about City of Chicago? I like to refer to it as the State of Cook...

Anyway, every city, village, town etc may do what is called "home town". Under hometown the city may make ALL tickets (except registration and DL violations) a "city" ticket. The city then receives the majority of the income from the ticket generated. Most if not all revenue goes into a city fund and not a PD fund. Tickets involving Reg/DL violations must be written on a STATE ticket. Reg/DL violations do NOT apply to private property. for example, I have a revoked DL. I am driving on my land. Can I be ticketed? No, I can not. However, could an officer write the ticket anyway? YES. Why? Because if you don't contest it then it's a valid ticket.

Was the "stop" by the officer illegal? yes. do you think if I filed a law suit I'd win? Yes. do you think I'd get lots of money? NOOOO!! It would likely cost me more. So, where's this going? Most people simply pay due to ignorance (not knowing)of the law. Therfore, contact the circuit clerk and request where you can get a copy of the law you violated. Look on the ticket, there should be an ILCS or City code on it. Get the law on said code. Read it. If you violated it then you're screwed. If not, then contest it. Either way, it's not a moving violation. If you just pay it it goes away.

MIND YOU, the city may have their OWN (remember the Hometown thing) code about plate covers since TECHNICALLY its not a registration violation, rather an equipment violation. I don't recall what the state's limitations are in relation to plate covers.

Make sense?

Nick Amelio
Northern Division Director and Gunshow provider
SPORTBIKETRACKTIME.COM

[email protected]

Last edited by GunshowNick; 08-06-2009 at 11:47 PM.
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 11:42 PM

Sportbike: R6
How you found us: Sportbike Track Time

Quote:
One cop was in the car and the other was walking around the fronts of cars looking at the passenger side of the windshield... and talking to the cop who was in the cruiser idling behind the car he was looking at.. This was a few rows from me so I couldn't hear what they were talking about.. but I saw them look at two cars in a row while I got the baby out of the car and started heading towards the door.... I am guessing that's what they were doing... Imagine they might find a # of other interesting things if they go and run all the plates in a Costco parking lot...

They might have been doing something else.. but that's what it looked like to me.. any CPD know otherwise.. or anyone familiar with some new sting operation.. feel free to correct me

running the vin? maybe they got a partial hit on a stolen car (partial hit means the plate informs clear but NCIC informs it may be stolen) and were confirming it with the vin

Nick Amelio
Northern Division Director and Gunshow provider
SPORTBIKETRACKTIME.COM

[email protected]
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunshowNick View Post
running the vin? maybe they got a partial hit on a stolen car (partial hit means the plate informs clear but NCIC informs it may be stolen) and were confirming it with the vin
That would make sense. But the fact that they seemed to be going down the row sequentially pointed towards sweerping the parking lot. If it was a specific stolen car I imagine it would be a specific type of car. Not just two cars that happened to be next to eachother in a parking lot. I was being short and didn't mention. But they were there when I pulled up. In that row. So I am basing part of my assumption on a probable 3rd car. Although I only specifically witnessed 2. I think they did the one befor (cop was walking down the middle of the row from that way when I saw him)

still strikes me as odd they would be doing it. But this wouldn't be the first time I've heard of it lately. They got my 9 month preggo neighbor the other day. She was just telling me about it the night before.

I'd be annoyed if I was a cop and I caughb that bs shit duty. But I understand where they are coming from. Suck or not. Jobs a job. And that's what they were told to do (I assume)
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
The Sausage king

Quote:
Originally Posted by taledarkside View Post
for fawks sake

take a picture of your plate without the plastic lens and mail it in. Sometimes they send you a letter in the mail saying your "not guilty"
Does anyone have a black Lincoln with no rear license plate cover so I can take a picture and mail that in to contest the ticket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunshowNick View Post
I assume you talking about City of Chicago? I like to refer to it as the State of Cook...

Anyway, every city, village, town etc may do what is called "home town". Under hometown the city may make ALL tickets (except registration and DL violations) a "city" ticket. The city then receives the majority of the income from the ticket generated. Most if not all revenue goes into a city fund and not a PD fund. Tickets involving Reg/DL violations must be written on a STATE ticket. Reg/DL violations do NOT apply to private property. for example, I have a revoked DL. I am driving on my land. Can I be ticketed? No, I can not. However, could an officer write the ticket anyway? YES. Why? Because if you don't contest it then it's a valid ticket.

Was the "stop" by the officer illegal? yes. do you think if I filed a law suit I'd win? Yes. do you think I'd get lots of money? NOOOO!! It would likely cost me more. So, where's this going? Most people simply pay due to ignorance (not knowing)of the law. Therfore, contact the circuit clerk and request where you can get a copy of the law you violated. Look on the ticket, there should be an ILCS or City code on it. Get the law on said code. Read it. If you violated it then you're screwed. If not, then contest it. Either way, it's not a moving violation. If you just pay it it goes away.

MIND YOU, the city may have their OWN (remember the Hometown thing) code about plate covers since TECHNICALLY its not a registration violation, rather an equipment violation. I don't recall what the state's limitations are in relation to plate covers.

Make sense?
I understand what you're saying. Most people pay it so it will go away and they make their money. One person contest it and it goes away, no real big loss to them, they already made money on all those that did pay.

Maybe I'll go with the Chewbaca defense.......

Da Bears!
Ducati
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Moving out to a more rural area at some point is sounding better and better

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerkMX View Post
Moving out to a more rural area at some point is sounding better and better
of course then there often is the 30-40% pay cut...
and... the "there is nothing to do" factor.. but luckily us motorcyclists do tend to make our own fun

I have considered moving out to the sticks..
but I hate the idea of commuting.. eats up so much of your life.. I think it would add between a quarter to a third of my work week on top of my work week.. and that sucks.

damned if you do
damned if you don't
there is no perfect solution
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 02:26 PM

Sportbike: 600rr & Zuma125
Years Riding: since 2002
How you found us: linked on the interwebs

Send a message via AIM to Audiofyl Send a message via MSN to Audiofyl
I got 3 tickets the other day, granted they were my fault, but reading this I find it funny....

-expired license sticker (totally my bad, forgot to get the new one)
-no front plate
-rush hour on street parking (despite my flashers being on for a short time in the loading zone).

luckily i walked out right as the tow truck was towing the cab parked in front of me.

funny part is that I have a clear plate cover and there was no mention of it. WTF?

Eric

2003 CBR600RR
2009 Zuma 125
2005 VW Golf TDI
1994 Honda Civic Turbo

My Fuelly

Flickr

posterous

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach
The art of reading is lost on all....
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
The Sausage king

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofyl View Post
I got 3 tickets the other day, granted they were my fault, but reading this I find it funny....

-expired license sticker (totally my bad, forgot to get the new one)
-no front plate
-rush hour on street parking (despite my flashers being on for a short time in the loading zone).

luckily i walked out right as the tow truck was towing the cab parked in front of me.

funny part is that I have a clear plate cover and there was no mention of it. WTF?
HAHA! My ticket sites Chicago Municipal Code: 9-76-160d.
No mention of clear plastic cover only tinted or colored license plate cover.

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Illinois/chicago_il/municipalcodeofchicago?f=templates$fn=default.htm$ 3.0$vid=amlegal:chicago_il

Quote:

9-76-160 Registration plates.

(d) Every registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued so as to prevent the plate from swinging and at a height of not less than 12 inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible. No registration plate shall be covered by any tinted or colored screen. It is illegal to park a vehicle on any roadway if the registration plate or other registration material fails to comply with this subsection. Any person who violates this subsection shall be fined the amount set forth in Section 9-100-020 for each offense.

Da Bears!
Ducati
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Y'all know me as Mouse

Sportbike: '08 R6 / '09 R6 / '04 GSXR
Years Riding: fer a while
How you found us: Been here all along.

Send a message via AIM to Blake
I've gotten a ticket for a plate cover when they changed the law. It was back in 06
Its in the IL vehical code 625.
That year they had changed a bunch wording on the laws too. Like where they couldn't pull you over for tinted windows or seat belts. It used to read something like:
"A law enforcement officer may not stop or search any motor vehicle or the driver of any motor vehicle solely on the basis of a violation or suspected violation"

IL Vehicle Code site

Quote:
(625 ILCS 5/12‑610.5)
Sec. 12‑610.5. Registration plate covers.
(a) In this Section, "registration plate cover" means any tinted, colored, painted, marked, clear, or illuminated object that is designed to:
(1) cover any of the characters of a motor vehicle's

registration plate; or
(2) distort a recorded image of any of the characters

of a motor vehicle's registration plate recorded by an automated red light enforcement system as defined in Section 1‑105.5 of this Code or recorded by an automated traffic control system as defined in Section 15 of the Automated Traffic Control Systems in Highway Construction or Maintenance Zones Act.
(b) It shall be unlawful to operate any motor vehicle that is equipped with registration plate covers.
(c) A person may not sell or offer for sale a registration plate cover.
(d) A person may not advertise for the purpose of promoting the sale of registration plate covers.
(e) A violation of this Section or a similar provision of a local ordinance shall be an offense against laws and ordinances regulating the movement of traffic.
(Source: P.A. 94‑304, eff. 1‑1‑06.)
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
The Sausage king

If I'm reading the IL code right, any plate cover is illegal IF its designed to cover or distort the numbers.

Clear cover does neither of these and is available for sale in this state. If my cover was illegal it would be prohibited for sale in the state of Illinois according to section 2.c.

For those wondering, "why doesn't the sausage king let it go? he has enough money to cover this from the sausage biz." I should and I would pay the fine if I ran a red light or had expired plates, or only paid $3.99 for my 2 hours of metered parking, etc. I just don't believe I should pay for something that is interpreted by one individual as being illegal even though the Municipal code does not have language specific to this. A clear cover in no way hinders the appearance or makes it difficult to read my license plate.

Da Bears!
Ducati

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode