PSA on LIDAR tickets - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Traffic Violations Advice Corner Got screwed lately? Get advise from others that dealt with it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
PSA on LIDAR tickets

http://indianalawblog.com/archives/2..._if_chica.html

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 07:02 PM
[Online]

Sportbike: Multistrada 1100S; CBR600RR
Years Riding: Since 2004
How you found us: CRR

It's interesting what line of BS did they originally use to attack the credibility of LIDAR. Anyone knows?

- Stas

Thou shalt not disfigure the soul.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Sometimes reading the paper pays off.

From Today.

Quote:
November 6, 2009

BY MARK BROWN Sun-Times Columnist

It was with some fanfare that the Chicago Police Department announced three years ago that all city police districts were being supplied with high-tech LIDAR speed detectors to help crack down on speeders on neighborhood streets.

What nobody has bothered to make public, however, is that for at least the past year, speeding tickets produced by Chicago police officers using LIDAR have been routinely dismissed in Cook County Traffic Court for any defendant bothering to show up to contest the case.
Click to enlarge image
It was with some fanfare that the Chicago Police Department announced three years ago that all city police districts were being supplied with high-tech LIDAR speed detectors to help crack down on speeders on neighborhood streets.
(Brian Jackson/Sun-Times)

RELATED STORIES
Weis: Chicago cops stick to LIDAR guns

The tickets are being voluntarily waived by the city's Law Department because of legal challenges to the laser technology underlying the LIDAR (light detection and ranging) equipment.

The city began taking the approach after Traffic Court judges started ruling in favor of defense attorneys who contend local prosecutors must hold a special hearing to prove the scientific basis behind LIDAR before using it as evidence.
You don't even need a lawyer

This has not kept the city from continuing to accept the guilty pleas -- and cash the checks -- from the vast majority of accused speeders who dispose of their tickets by just mailing in the fine or going to traffic school.

For those who go to court, on the other hand, it's simply a matter of waiting for their name to be called and the judge to hand them back their driver's license, no questions asked and little if any explanation given.

"This is a LIDAR case," an assistant Corporation Counsel told Judge George Scully Jr. one day last week as the next defendant's name was called. With that, Scully pulled the driver's license from the ticket to which it was stapled and returned the license to the defendant, sending her on her way.

I watched this happen again and again without fail during the past week in the courtrooms in the Daley Center basement where minor city traffic cases are heard. Defendants gratefully exited court with wallets intact, most of them clueless about what had transpired.

Occasionally, a judge would say something like "the city cannot meets its burden of proof," by way of explanation before handing over the driver's license.

Some defendants had hired the hallway lawyers who hang around Traffic Court to represent them, not realizing they were receiving the same outcome as those who didn't have a lawyer, except they had to pay the lawyer.

"Hey, I make a living off this stuff," one lawyer told me when I brought it up.

He said he deserves to continue to make money from such clients because he "invented" the defense now being used to squelch all the LIDAR cases -- by citing a Downstate appellate court opinion that was the first to call for a scientific review of the LIDAR technology.

That case actually involved a Naperville lawyer, Michael Canulli, who was driving with his family to a girls' softball tournament in Springfield nine years ago when he was ticketed on I-55 near Lincoln, where State Police had sprung a massive speed trap. Incensed by their tactics, Canulli took the case to court. Now he's cited as the basis for beating every LIDAR ticket in Chicago, which is fine by him.

The courtroom rejections have not deterred Chicago Police from continuing to use LIDAR to bring speeding cases.

"Our job is enforcement. We enforce the laws. . . . If we don't win the case in court, that doesn't stop us from enforcing the laws," said Lt. Dave Blanco, commanding officer in CPD's Traffic Section.

"We know it to be a very reliable speed measuring device," Blanco said of the hand-held LIDAR units, which have been in use here for seven or eight years.
'It'll just get thrown out'

Indeed, there seems little known basis for questioning the reliability of LIDAR. Nobody has been able to cite for me any jurisdiction where the technology has been shown deficient. But the city hasn't gotten around to putting on its own legal case, known as a Frye hearing.

A Law Department spokesman said one of the problems is that -- in the cases where it has called a defendant's bluff and agreed to a Frye hearing -- the defendant gives up rather than put up a huge legal fight over a little speeding ticket.

Not all speeding tickets written in Chicago involve LIDAR. Tickets issued based on the reading from traditional radar devices are not being routinely dismissed.

If you're wondering if this applies to you, speeding tickets issued in Chicago have three boxes to check to indicate whether police used LIDAR, radar or laser. Some experts say LIDAR and laser are the same thing.

Judge Walter Williams, supervising judge in Municipal Traffic Court, said he couldn't discuss the situation, which I think is nonsense, but he's the judge.

One Chicago Police officer told me what really gets him irritated is when he hands speeding tickets to drivers who know the score with LIDAR and they only scoff at him: "It'll just get thrown out."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Wild slide rule roots

Sportbike: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R, yel/blk (Street) & '04 GSXR750 (Track)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: Got the link through NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracker View Post
It's interesting what line of BS did they originally use to attack the credibility of LIDAR. Anyone knows?
Failure to hold a hearing under Frye v. United States to determine whether LIDAR is a generally, scientifically accepted method of speed measurement. Not that LIDAR is bogus, but nobody's actually proven it's valid to the courts yet.

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
Jabber/Google Talk: [email protected]
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 09:20 PM
[Online]

Sportbike: Multistrada 1100S; CBR600RR
Years Riding: Since 2004
How you found us: CRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrand View Post
Failure to hold a hearing under Frye v. United States to determine whether LIDAR is a generally, scientifically accepted method of speed measurement. Not that LIDAR is bogus, but nobody's actually proven it's valid to the courts yet.
Nice... That's why I can never be a lawyer

- Stas

Thou shalt not disfigure the soul.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 10:47 PM

Sportbike: '04 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: days
How you found us: youngkow's monkey ass

Fuck the motherfucking police.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Failed rehab

It's not what ya know, it's what ya can prove.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

I recently recieved a ticket for 75 in a 55 on i55. Trooper claimed he had me at 82, but after asking he knocked it down for me I checked the ticket, and it does not state how he figured I was doing those speeds. He came up super fastand lit me up right away, so I do not think he was pacing me. Sadly, it is cheaper to pay the ticket than have to miss the day of work. Bastards.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Wild slide rule roots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S Preston, Esq. View Post
It's not what ya know, it's what ya can prove.
True enough and, furthermore, it's getting the chance to prove it. It doesn't seem to help the City that nobody wants to pay the $2k+ to have the (pretty much hopeless) Frye hearing over a $225 ticket.

BTW, you still 711, or did you get sworn in and I missed it?

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Failed rehab

Quote:
True enough and, furthermore, it's getting the chance to prove it. It doesn't seem to help the City that nobody wants to pay the $2k+ to have the (pretty much hopeless) Frye hearing over a $225 ticket.

BTW, you still 711, or did you get sworn in and I missed it?
Indiana bar in February.

You know a heckuva lot of law for an EE

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Wild slide rule roots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S Preston, Esq. View Post
Indiana bar in February.

You know a heckuva lot of law for an EE
It's a hobby, which means I get to study just the interesting parts (like this) and skip the dull parts.

Good luck in advance on the bar.

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 12:26 PM

Sportbike: Aprilia Scarabeo 500i.e.
Years Riding: 6
How you found us: Can't remember...

Sun Times is reporting today that a case working its way through the system that will probably be used as the Frye hearing case for LIDAR.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/brown/1...rown08.article
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 08:27 AM

Sportbike: none...all gone
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: ken

Talking

where can I read about the "Frye" hearing details......I think it might be my son

CCS race official
sold the track bike
too slow to ride

"Repairs end December 31. 2011."

OK, it was a tough day.....back open again!!!
Bring me your broken down machines.

Butch @ 630-777-0273

Ytrap #819, forever in my prayers.
Arch, this Bud is for you..

Last edited by butchf; 11-09-2009 at 08:35 AM.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Wild slide rule roots

Oh, all right, here you go.

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I'd love to know how this affects troppers bouncing their laser off their sideview mirrors to nab cars coming up behind them as well. I saw another one doing that today on 55

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 07:12 AM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
I'd love to know how this affects troppers bouncing their laser off their sideview mirrors to nab cars coming up behind them as well. I saw another one doing that today on 55
It doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Wild slide rule roots

Looks like the City's decided to go play ball again. Oops.

LIDAR speeder? Your free pass got revoked -- Mark Brown

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 05:39 PM

Sportbike: R6
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: Sportbike Track Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by suh-c View Post
Fuck the motherfucking police.

please recall this post when you dial 911 for assistance...

Nick Amelio
Northern Division Director and Gunshow provider
SPORTBIKETRACKTIME.COM

[email protected]
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 05:47 PM

Sportbike: R6
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: Sportbike Track Time

Quote:

Everyone needs to understand how things of this nature work. the tickets are not STATE tickets rather its a state violation that the city covers under local ordinance. I can not confirm that, but it is a common practice. the city then tells officers to write the city version of the ticket over the state version because the city gets a larger portion of the revenue which Im sure goes to a general fund and the PD never sees it.

Ok, that said the city lawyers say use LIDAR unless challenged. when challenged we'll drop it since the technology isn't "proven" to a court standard besides we bought 100 of these things (lidar) and have no other use for them. Until the time comes that some one takes the city to court over this issue it will continue. But who has the time or energy to sue over a 100 tkt?

and the wheels on the bus go round and round....

Nick Amelio
Northern Division Director and Gunshow provider
SPORTBIKETRACKTIME.COM

[email protected]
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 04:06 PM
oh my...

Sportbike: '98 VFR + '03 Gixxer 750
Years Riding: According to my wife... too many.
How you found us: VFR World Forums

Send a message via MSN to Timmay! Send a message via Skype™ to Timmay!
Still works... 88 in a 65 just got tossed 30 minutes ago in Cook County 2nd District Court! Yea!!

"The tragedy in life is not what we suffer, it's what we miss."

NESBA #921 (I)

www.crashcoalition.org

'03 Gixxer 750
'05 VFR800
'05 745i (E65)

Last edited by Timmay!; 12-02-2009 at 04:08 PM.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Wild slide rule roots

Update:

The jig is up. In a decision filed January 15 (People v. Mann), the 2nd district appellate court upheld LIDAR's admissibility as evidence of speed.

The defendant in the case, Jack Mann, was ticketed in DuPage County for speeding 80 mph in a 55 mph zone on I-88. He was convicted in a bench trial in DuPage county, after objecting to the State's use of the LIDAR reading as evidence against him, claiming the principle behind it had not yet been proven to be generally accepted in the scientific community. Circuit judge Elizabeth Sexton overruled his objection, referring to another DuPage county case (under judge Bruce Kelsey) where LIDAR had been reviewed and accepted. Mr. Mann appealed from that decision.

In his written opinion, appellate Justice McLaren referred to a 2003 Illinois appellate case, People v. Canulli, in which LIDAR evidence was found inadmissible. Justice McLaren rejected this decision, however, and referred instead to cases from Maryland and New Jersey, concluding, "In our view, these decisions are ample authority that the use of LIDAR to measure the speed of moving vehicles is based on generally accepted scientific principles. Therefore, the trial court did not err in overruling defendant's objection to the evidence."

There's no word yet from the Sun-Times, who seem to have broken the story back in November on LIDAR tickets getting tossed, but it seems very likely that the City's not going to have to fight very hard at all now to get LIDAR formally accepted in the local courts. It's fair to say the free ride is over, at least where the State's Attorney has been paying attention to the issue.

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)

Last edited by Morrand; 01-29-2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: see post #23
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Failed rehab

Judge Sexton is a tough one. Argued a case in front of her once. Very good, very fair judge. Knows her stuff.

You had to know it was only a matter of time.

post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

"was ticketed in Will County for speeding 80 mph in a 55 mph zone on I-88. "

I-88 does not run through Will County... it runs through DuPage.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Failed rehab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post

which is why it was tried in DuPage.

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 07:51 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunshowNick View Post
please recall this post when you dial 911 for assistance...
Your kidding right You call 911 after things have gone to hell in a hand basket! The police rarely do what their mottos's proclaim, they rarely, if ever serve me, and I never depend on them for protection. Anyone who does is naive and foolish. Their motto should be To Harass and Ticket.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 07:56 AM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC1957 View Post
Your kidding right You call 911 after things have gone to hell in a hand basket! The police rarely do what their mottos's proclaim, they rarely, if ever serve me, and I never depend on them for protection. Anyone who does is naive and foolish. Their motto should be To Harass and Ticket.
Welcome to America.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:21 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC1957 View Post
It's been awhile since we had a "Rick bashing the police" post. Glad to have you back.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Wild slide rule roots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post

Duh, thank you. Doesn't even say Will County in the actual decision. Post corrected.

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:38 PM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
Simple, don't speed...........

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode