Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

How to handle an IL speeding ticket...?

3K views 38 replies 22 participants last post by  Kegger 
#1 · (Edited)
OK...my no brained daughter got a speeding ticket last night...driving someone else's car..
38 in a 25, so not too serious legally.

So what is the best option to handle this and not let it affect my insurance much...(she is 21, still lives at home and is on our policy)

Just pay the fine? $75
Go to court and fight? Plead stupid?

She's got no job, no money, so we'd have to pay...if we want to...
If we refuse to pay and she can't...what happens? Does she lose her license? Does that effect our insurance?

I can afford to pay it for her, but I sure don't want to.
She won't work, won't look for a job, is hardly at the house.
We canceled her truck insurance last month because of this...but she still managed to fuck things up...

Remember...I'm worried about us and our insurance rates, not her driving future...
She's on her own there...

See less See more
#2 ·
don't go to court. If you go to court it would be almost 400 dollars.
There is an option to take a class to keep the ticket off her driving record that ins won't see. But she has to go to it or take it online.

#14 ·
this!

didn't realize the first time that I could do this versus going to court...gotta love "court fees" upwards of 150% and more! Just so long as she hasn't been to the driving school in a year, she's fine (or maybe a ticket in a year?>..)

either way, they should have an office at the court house dedicated to driving school. You could always go in and ask (politely), they should be able to clarify for you, just to be sure she is eligible.

yeah..i've done this a few times :laughing..the nice thing about this route is that it's off her driving record (and subsequently insurance won't see it), so long as she doesn't get another ticket during the supervision period that follows that is.(another question to ask..or it might just be on that slip of paper that allows you to sign up)

#3 · (Edited)
Figure out the price increase in your premiums from here forward if the ticket sticks (literally, call them and ask what it will do) and weigh it against the potential $400 in court costs if you get slapped with that plus supervision.

I'm not sure if you can opt for Supervision if you are under 21 without an appearance.

I have a 1PM with my son tomorrow for a 'not guilty' plea... They will either have lack of witness (dismissed) OR we'll take the court cost hit because the bump in premiums for the next couple of years will be more expensive than the one time up front payment if he gets supervision in a plea deal + court costs.

(( Failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident; he slid on ice making a right turn into our neighborhood and tap-kissed another car waiting to turn. Her car is already fixed so I doubt she'll show up; no cop came to the scene; he was cited at the station after filling out the report )) It will be what it is.

Do you homework and make your choice...

#4 ·
Thanks! Been so long since I got one, I wasn't sure what to do.

She just needs to move her ass out, that would be best...
Oh well, but for her Mom...argh.

#6 ·
OK...my no brained daughter got a speeding ticket last night...driving someone else's car..
38 in a 25, so not too serious legally.

So what is the best option to handle this and not let it affect my insurance much...(she is 20, still lives at home and is on our policy)

Just pay the fine? $75
Go to court and fight? Plead stupid?

She's got no job, no money, so we'd have to pay...if we want to...
If we refuse to pay and she can't...what happens? Does she lose her license? Does that effect our insurance?

I can afford to pay it for her, but I sure don't want to.
She won't work, won't look for a job, is hardly at the house.
We canceled her truck insurance last month because of this...but she still managed to fuck things up...

Remember...I'm worried about us and our insurance rates, not her driving future...
She's on her own there...

Why does a person with no job need a car? Buy her some good shoes and a nice hat.

#10 ·
First off...I found what I needed here. For DuPage:
http://www.co.dupage.il.us/courtclerk/generic.cfm?doc_id=399

See below...that's why I canceled her insurance...

2nd why is she on your policy? I have an 18 year old who lives at home and has her own car and her own policy. Is she driving your vehicles? If not then remove her. Tell them she moved. Let her walk to court and deal with it herself.
Yes, I'd have to lie to Allstate...because every licensed driver in your house affects your policy unless they have their own...and she doesn't.

either way it sounds like you should just let her pay for it. got learn sometime to deal with the consequences.
She don't have squat...and if she doesn't have a license, she won't ever have squat...
Although I'm considering it highly...

Now these are all good questions and I wish I could answer easy, but I can't...
So move on if you don't want to hear the whole painful story:laughing:

This daughter is my wife's only child who I adopted after our marriage when her fuckwad ex decided it was easier to give her up than pay child support.
But he did manage to mess with her head...he fucked her up good...
We've been down the whole road with her...cutting, suicide attempts, violence, years of counsuling, you name it...
Even had her in 24 hour care for a year or so when she was 15.

Anyway...she finally managed to get a job and a place a couple of years ago...
She was getting by with a little help...she drove our old Dakota which is still in our name and on our policy.
So last year she lost her job and broke up with her partner, (Oh, she's also gay).
So last November she moved back in for a bit.

After two months of no work and no looking for work, I told her she didn't need to be driving, if she wasn't working so I canceled the insurance on the Dakota...
I also served notice that I will sell it if I don't see some action soon.

Maybe we haven't made all the right moves, I'm sure we made mistakes...

But anyone who is the STEP parent can tell ya...it ain't easy.
You don't have a lot of power and compromise is the name of the game.

But hey...it's nice to vent...:lmao:

#7 ·
First of all why is it going to be $400 for a minor traffic violation. I didn't pay half that for 31 over.

2nd why is she on your policy? I have an 18 year old who lives at home and has her own car and her own policy. Is she driving your vehicles? If not then remove her. Tell them she moved. Let her walk to court and deal with it herself.

As far as moving out. With no job living at home rent free, food free, tv free seems like a good deal.

#9 · (Edited)
I'm with wingit on this one...

We went through some of this bullshit with our daughter. Trying to "help her out" and she screwed it up. If she's not paying her own way by now, then remove her from your policy AND make her sign a statement at the insurance company that she agrees to not drive any of your vehicles.

You might want to think about charging her rent/board. If she's got a free ride, then what's her incentive to ever change? I think you're just going to have to pay the ticket and suck it up on this one. You agreed to cover her, so now you're responsible. Your only recourse is to take your daughter to civil court, and sue her for the damages you've incurred. She might not be able to pay, but she'll have a judgement against her until she does.

Good luck. :cool

#8 ·
this seems to have more implications then just a speeding ticket. it shouldn't be $400. my payout for a ticket with supervision was $250 for me after a 41 over. i'm sure the thread is still around here somewhere. either way it sounds like you should just let her pay for it. got learn sometime to deal with the consequences.

#13 ·
Bobt, Not an easy situation; that much is certain. It sounds like she has had a lifetime of feeling unwanted, unimportant, etc (the mental head fucking) and what you describe is just more of that dog piled on top of itself and it seems like it has become a viscous cycle. You obviously seem like a caring person and have concern for her; perhaps just shuffling her life cards around might help. It sounds silly and simple, but is there any way you can help her look for work? Sometimes just having someone positively encouraging you and helping you attempt something can be more uplifting and attitude adjusting (in a good way) then having the 'after the fact' "you're not good enough", "You're lazy", "get a job", "shape up or ship out"....which it sounds like she has had most of her life (thank you deadbeat sperm donor)... I'm not sure if the thought is translating properly into a forum post, does this make any sense?

#15 ·
damn, didn't even finish glancing at the first post!

you could always make her go into court (by herself), make her ask for supervision, and then..she would have to set up a payment plan in her name with the circuit clerk, might give her reason enough to get a job (at the thought of losing license, as well as fee due at once and supervision cancelled if she misses too many times and the judge gets pissed)

I don't think her record would affect your insurance, but i'd go with arch's route and call to ask anyway.

#16 ·
hey bobt, my feelings go out to you and to her and your wife. this is tough stuff and the origin is not of her doing but the consequences of her father's mistreatment are now her responsibility to overcome and obviously your moral/step parental responsibility to contribute as much as you can to this unfortunate situation which sounds like will need to involve some tough love but also a huge amount of love and compassion which is so obvious in the amount of involvement you have had with her through difficult times...somehow a speeding ticket seems so unimportant to her prior suicidality though still requires the need for her to start assuming certain personal responsibilities for her behaviors including feeling some of the pain of the consequences of these behaviors. you're a good man to have done so much as a step parent.

#20 ·
From the site linked above:
Some violations cannot be paid and you must appear in court, namely the following offenses:
1. All driver's under the age of 21 must appear in court, if court supervision is requested by the defendant. Defendants under 18 requesting court supervision must appear with a parent or guardian.
OP's daughter is 20, therefore she must appear to request supervision. Also there is a fee for court supervision, and he was looking for the cheapest option... Although the cheapest option is probably paying for court supervision rather than increased insurance.

#27 ·
if she is assessed a supervision + fine, and replies that she can't pay the fine on the spot, the judge might give her the option of community service instead. whatever you do, don't just send it in and pay the fine to accept the conviction on her record. it will haunt her for longer than she deserves. also note that you can't get more than 2 supervisions within a year. good luck!

#32 ·
Your daughter is a liability to your policies because she lives in the HH. Technically if she lives there she should be rated on a car (per insurance company rules). Thus even if you cancelled her car, they may ask you to rate her on another car in the HH.

If she got a ticket and it goes on her record, the insurance companies will see this when they pull the MVR (motor vehicle record). At State Farm, for some clients this pulls every renewal, for others it pulls every year or more. Depends on if youre in the mutual company or the standard company.

Basically you'll want to go to court, pay the ticket, pay the court fees, and request supervision. Sucks now that court costs are in pretty much every court. A simple ticket of $75, to GUARANTEE supervision (you'll need a lawyer) will cost you about $75 for the ticket + $250 for the lawyer + about $250 for the court costs. Yup, about $575 to keep a ticket off your record for sure.

Though, you can just pay the ticket, mail it in, request supervision on the ticket...though from experience and talking with law/legal council, it's about 50/50 that you'll actually get supervision. Many people think they do, but come to find out they didnt.

#34 ·
Your daughter is a liability to your policies because she lives in the HH. Technically if she lives there she should be rated on a car (per insurance company rules). Thus even if you cancelled her car, they may ask you to rate her on another car in the HH.
And that is exactly what they did...and the insurance on one of our other cars went up a bit...
I really don't have a problem with that as we would let her drive one of our vehicles if necessary...job interview, run an errand for us, something like that.
We just didn't see the point of paying for her personal vehicle just so she can cruise around, visit friends, etc....
Hell...I was really hoping the thought of losing her truck might light a fire under her ass...
No luck though...:laughing:

Really...I'm not an evil step-dad...
She has started to push her Mom over the limit though....
And she doesn't want that...I know...:nono:

#36 ·
How much you willing to pay for a rusty, over 100K, cigarette burned/headliner sagging interior, dented door, no radio, V6, 2 bald tire, club cab Dakota with a cap on the bed?:lmao:

Because she's only got a little while before we do sell it...

#38 ·
WHATEVER YOU DO! DO SHOW UP TO COURT! I've gotten out of 3-4 speeding tickets just because either the officer didn't show, or the judge just dismissed it. This was in Cook though...

The only worst part is if you DO get a ticket, most likely if it is your first offense, you typically get supervision. It all depends on the judge. I've been in court twice where 3/4 of tickets were dismissed by the judge, or given supervision.

Hell, police love me around here. 86 in a 45 on a complete straightaway on the bike. Clocked me with his car running in the opposite lane. There was no traffic, and he let me go without so much as a warning, and my town is one that likes to harass young people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.