How to handle an IL speeding ticket...? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Traffic Violations Advice Corner Got screwed lately? Get advise from others that dealt with it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Just an Old Guy

Sportbike: '01 Triumph TT600 '95 BMW K1100RS, '83 'Zuk 1100E, '82 GS750E, '41 BSA M20
Years Riding: 38
How you found us: Luck

How to handle an IL speeding ticket...?

OK...my no brained daughter got a speeding ticket last night...driving someone else's car..
38 in a 25, so not too serious legally.

So what is the best option to handle this and not let it affect my insurance much...(she is 21, still lives at home and is on our policy)

Just pay the fine? $75
Go to court and fight? Plead stupid?

She's got no job, no money, so we'd have to pay...if we want to...
If we refuse to pay and she can't...what happens? Does she lose her license? Does that effect our insurance?

I can afford to pay it for her, but I sure don't want to.
She won't work, won't look for a job, is hardly at the house.
We canceled her truck insurance last month because of this...but she still managed to fuck things up...

Remember...I'm worried about us and our insurance rates, not her driving future...
She's on her own there...

Bob T.

"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling

Last edited by BobT; 02-09-2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Edited to fix her age from 20 to 21...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 08:35 AM

Sportbike: 06 Ninja zx636
Years Riding: 6 years
How you found us: no

Send a message via AIM to Richfiero
don't go to court. If you go to court it would be almost 400 dollars.
There is an option to take a class to keep the ticket off her driving record that ins won't see. But she has to go to it or take it online.

06 Sunburst Orange Ninja Zx6r, 06 1250 Sportster.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Figure out the price increase in your premiums from here forward if the ticket sticks (literally, call them and ask what it will do) and weigh it against the potential $400 in court costs if you get slapped with that plus supervision.

I'm not sure if you can opt for Supervision if you are under 21 without an appearance.

I have a 1PM with my son tomorrow for a 'not guilty' plea... They will either have lack of witness (dismissed) OR we'll take the court cost hit because the bump in premiums for the next couple of years will be more expensive than the one time up front payment if he gets supervision in a plea deal + court costs.

(( Failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident; he slid on ice making a right turn into our neighborhood and tap-kissed another car waiting to turn. Her car is already fixed so I doubt she'll show up; no cop came to the scene; he was cited at the station after filling out the report )) It will be what it is.

Do you homework and make your choice...

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by Arch; 02-09-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Just an Old Guy

Sportbike: '01 Triumph TT600 '95 BMW K1100RS, '83 'Zuk 1100E, '82 GS750E, '41 BSA M20

Thanks! Been so long since I got one, I wasn't sure what to do.

She just needs to move her ass out, that would be best...
Oh well, but for her Mom...argh.

Bob T.

"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 09:34 AM

Sportbike: Honda Interceptor
Years Riding: including today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
Figure out the price increase in your premiums from here forward if the ticket sticks (literally, call them and ask what it will do) and weigh it against the potential $400 in court costs if you get slapped with that plus supervision.

I'm not sure if you can opt for Supervision if you are under 21 without an appearance.

I have a 1PM with my son tomorrow for a 'not guilty' plea... They will either have lack of witness (dismissed) OR we'll take the court cost hit because the bump in premiums for the next couple of years will be more expensive than the one time up front payment if he gets supervision in a plea deal + court costs.

(( Failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident; he slid on ice making a right turn into our neighborhood and tap-kissed another car waiting to turn. Her car is already fixed so I doubt she'll show up; no cop came to the scene; he was cited at the station after filling out the report )) It will be what it is.

Do you homework and make your choice...
It would seem with no witnesses this would be easy to go not guilty.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 09:36 AM

Sportbike: Honda Interceptor
Years Riding: including today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobT View Post
OK...my no brained daughter got a speeding ticket last night...driving someone else's car..
38 in a 25, so not too serious legally.

So what is the best option to handle this and not let it affect my insurance much...(she is 20, still lives at home and is on our policy)

Just pay the fine? $75
Go to court and fight? Plead stupid?

She's got no job, no money, so we'd have to pay...if we want to...
If we refuse to pay and she can't...what happens? Does she lose her license? Does that effect our insurance?

I can afford to pay it for her, but I sure don't want to.
She won't work, won't look for a job, is hardly at the house.
We canceled her truck insurance last month because of this...but she still managed to fuck things up...

Remember...I'm worried about us and our insurance rates, not her driving future...
She's on her own there...

Why does a person with no job need a car? Buy her some good shoes and a nice hat.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 09:45 AM
Make my day!!!!!

Sportbike: Looking at a shiny Huffy!
Years Riding: 20+ yrs.
How you found us: member

First of all why is it going to be $400 for a minor traffic violation. I didn't pay half that for 31 over.

2nd why is she on your policy? I have an 18 year old who lives at home and has her own car and her own policy. Is she driving your vehicles? If not then remove her. Tell them she moved. Let her walk to court and deal with it herself.

As far as moving out. With no job living at home rent free, food free, tv free seems like a good deal.

Living life! Because before you know it it is over!

Joe

FACEBOOK
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 10:24 AM
d0 work s0n!

Sportbike: '06 GSX-R
Years Riding: Moment I got off the street
How you found us: twinky in the donut?

this seems to have more implications then just a speeding ticket. it shouldn't be $400. my payout for a ticket with supervision was $250 for me after a 41 over. i'm sure the thread is still around here somewhere. either way it sounds like you should just let her pay for it. got learn sometime to deal with the consequences.

"if i close my mind in fear, please pry it open. if my face becomes sincere beware.
when i start to come undone, stitch me together.
when you see me stretched remind me of what left this outlaw torn."
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Slower Traffic Keep Right

Sportbike: '06 Suzuki GSXR-750 (Track); '11 HD Electra Glide (Road Sofa)
Years Riding: 30+ yrs total
How you found us: A friend at NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingit View Post
First of all why is it going to be $400 for a minor traffic violation. I didn't pay half that for 31 over.

2nd why is she on your policy? I have an 18 year old who lives at home and has her own car and her own policy. Is she driving your vehicles? If not then remove her. Tell them she moved. Let her walk to court and deal with it herself.

As far as moving out. With no job living at home rent free, food free, tv free seems like a good deal.
I'm with wingit on this one...

We went through some of this bullshit with our daughter. Trying to "help her out" and she screwed it up. If she's not paying her own way by now, then remove her from your policy AND make her sign a statement at the insurance company that she agrees to not drive any of your vehicles.

You might want to think about charging her rent/board. If she's got a free ride, then what's her incentive to ever change? I think you're just going to have to pay the ticket and suck it up on this one. You agreed to cover her, so now you're responsible. Your only recourse is to take your daughter to civil court, and sue her for the damages you've incurred. She might not be able to pay, but she'll have a judgement against her until she does.

Good luck.

Midwest Track Day CR #130
NESBA 130-Control Rider (Former Midwest Region)
STT "A" 130
Track: 2006 GSXR-750
Street: 2011 H-D Ultra Limited (Road Sofa)

www.MidwestTrackDay.com / www.MidwestTrackDay.motorsportreg.com / www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6419.png

Last edited by stkr; 02-09-2010 at 10:38 AM.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Just an Old Guy

First off...I found what I needed here. For DuPage:
http://www.co.dupage.il.us/courtcler...cfm?doc_id=399

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptor View Post
Why does a person with no job need a car? Buy her some good shoes and a nice hat.
See below...that's why I canceled her insurance...

Quote:
Yes, I'd have to lie to Allstate...because every licensed driver in your house affects your policy unless they have their own...and she doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedblue View Post
either way it sounds like you should just let her pay for it. got learn sometime to deal with the consequences.
She don't have squat...and if she doesn't have a license, she won't ever have squat...
Although I'm considering it highly...

Now these are all good questions and I wish I could answer easy, but I can't...
So move on if you don't want to hear the whole painful story

This daughter is my wife's only child who I adopted after our marriage when her fuckwad ex decided it was easier to give her up than pay child support.
But he did manage to mess with her head...he fucked her up good...
We've been down the whole road with her...cutting, suicide attempts, violence, years of counsuling, you name it...
Even had her in 24 hour care for a year or so when she was 15.

Anyway...she finally managed to get a job and a place a couple of years ago...
She was getting by with a little help...she drove our old Dakota which is still in our name and on our policy.
So last year she lost her job and broke up with her partner, (Oh, she's also gay).
So last November she moved back in for a bit.

After two months of no work and no looking for work, I told her she didn't need to be driving, if she wasn't working so I canceled the insurance on the Dakota...
I also served notice that I will sell it if I don't see some action soon.

Maybe we haven't made all the right moves, I'm sure we made mistakes...

But anyone who is the STEP parent can tell ya...it ain't easy.
You don't have a lot of power and compromise is the name of the game.

But hey...it's nice to vent...

Bob T.

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Will

Sportbike: 2009 R6 Raven
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Search Engine

Dang the thread title doesn't do this topic justice. Pretty interesting.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 11:07 AM

Hang in there

STT "A" 130

www.MidwestTrackDay.com / www.MidwestTrackDay.motorsportreg.com / www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday

post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Irony helps us play!

Bobt, Not an easy situation; that much is certain. It sounds like she has had a lifetime of feeling unwanted, unimportant, etc (the mental head fucking) and what you describe is just more of that dog piled on top of itself and it seems like it has become a viscous cycle. You obviously seem like a caring person and have concern for her; perhaps just shuffling her life cards around might help. It sounds silly and simple, but is there any way you can help her look for work? Sometimes just having someone positively encouraging you and helping you attempt something can be more uplifting and attitude adjusting (in a good way) then having the 'after the fact' "you're not good enough", "You're lazy", "get a job", "shape up or ship out"....which it sounds like she has had most of her life (thank you deadbeat sperm donor)... I'm not sure if the thought is translating properly into a forum post, does this make any sense?

Everyone Exaggerates

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 11:11 AM
1 piece at a time

Sportbike: Ninja ZX-6'DinoSaki'
Years Riding: Since I joined!
How you found us: teh intarwebz

Send a message via AIM to hexraptor Send a message via MSN to hexraptor Send a message via Yahoo to hexraptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richfiero View Post
There is an option to take a class to keep the ticket off her driving record that ins won't see. But she has to go to it or take it online.
this!

didn't realize the first time that I could do this versus going to court...gotta love "court fees" upwards of 150% and more! Just so long as she hasn't been to the driving school in a year, she's fine (or maybe a ticket in a year?>..)

either way, they should have an office at the court house dedicated to driving school. You could always go in and ask (politely), they should be able to clarify for you, just to be sure she is eligible.

yeah..i've done this a few times ..the nice thing about this route is that it's off her driving record (and subsequently insurance won't see it), so long as she doesn't get another ticket during the supervision period that follows that is.(another question to ask..or it might just be on that slip of paper that allows you to sign up)

- Steve
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 11:16 AM
1 piece at a time

Sportbike: Ninja ZX-6'DinoSaki'
Years Riding: Since I joined!
How you found us: teh intarwebz

Send a message via AIM to hexraptor Send a message via MSN to hexraptor Send a message via Yahoo to hexraptor
damn, didn't even finish glancing at the first post!

you could always make her go into court (by herself), make her ask for supervision, and then..she would have to set up a payment plan in her name with the circuit clerk, might give her reason enough to get a job (at the thought of losing license, as well as fee due at once and supervision cancelled if she misses too many times and the judge gets pissed)

I don't think her record would affect your insurance, but i'd go with arch's route and call to ask anyway.

- Steve
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 11:17 AM
CLSB's Jesus Lover

Sportbike: 05 ninja scooter, 07 baby gixxer yes a blue and white one
Years Riding: i like turtles so i cant drink orange juice anymore
How you found us: google

hey bobt, my feelings go out to you and to her and your wife. this is tough stuff and the origin is not of her doing but the consequences of her father's mistreatment are now her responsibility to overcome and obviously your moral/step parental responsibility to contribute as much as you can to this unfortunate situation which sounds like will need to involve some tough love but also a huge amount of love and compassion which is so obvious in the amount of involvement you have had with her through difficult times...somehow a speeding ticket seems so unimportant to her prior suicidality though still requires the need for her to start assuming certain personal responsibilities for her behaviors including feeling some of the pain of the consequences of these behaviors. you're a good man to have done so much as a step parent.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 03:47 PM

Sportbike: 06 Ninja zx636
Years Riding: 6 years
How you found us: no

Send a message via AIM to Richfiero
Quote:

I was in a dupage courthouse a couple of months ago and people who were speeding had to pay high 300s. I had an overdue license plate sticker I had to pay 150

06 Sunburst Orange Ninja Zx6r, 06 1250 Sportster.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Make my day!!!!!

Sportbike: Looking at a shiny Huffy!
Years Riding: 20+ yrs.
How you found us: member

Quote:
First off...I found what I needed here. For DuPage:
http://www.co.dupage.il.us/courtcler...cfm?doc_id=399

See below...that's why I canceled her insurance...

Yes, I'd have to lie to Allstate...because every licensed driver in your house affects your policy unless they have their own...and she doesn't.

She don't have squat...and if she doesn't have a license, she won't ever have squat...
Although I'm considering it highly...

Now these are all good questions and I wish I could answer easy, but I can't...
So move on if you don't want to hear the whole painful story

This daughter is my wife's only child who I adopted after our marriage when her fuckwad ex decided it was easier to give her up than pay child support.
But he did manage to mess with her head...he fucked her up good...
We've been down the whole road with her...cutting, suicide attempts, violence, years of counsuling, you name it...
Even had her in 24 hour care for a year or so when she was 15.

Anyway...she finally managed to get a job and a place a couple of years ago...
She was getting by with a little help...she drove our old Dakota which is still in our name and on our policy.
So last year she lost her job and broke up with her partner, (Oh, she's also gay).
So last November she moved back in for a bit.

After two months of no work and no looking for work, I told her she didn't need to be driving, if she wasn't working so I canceled the insurance on the Dakota...
I also served notice that I will sell it if I don't see some action soon.

Maybe we haven't made all the right moves, I'm sure we made mistakes...

But anyone who is the STEP parent can tell ya...it ain't easy.
You don't have a lot of power and compromise is the name of the game.

But hey...it's nice to vent...
Vent away! Hope it works out for you.

Living life! Because before you know it it is over!

Joe

FACEBOOK
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 04:01 PM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

she doesn't have to go to court unless the ticket is marked must appear. She should be able to plead guilty and request supervision via mail.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 04:17 PM
dre

Sportbike: sv650
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: great googley moogley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
she doesn't have to go to court unless the ticket is marked must appear. She should be able to plead guilty and request supervision via mail.
From the site linked above:
Quote:
Some violations cannot be paid and you must appear in court, namely the following offenses:
1. All driver's under the age of 21 must appear in court, if court supervision is requested by the defendant. Defendants under 18 requesting court supervision must appear with a parent or guardian.
OP's daughter is 20, therefore she must appear to request supervision. Also there is a fee for court supervision, and he was looking for the cheapest option... Although the cheapest option is probably paying for court supervision rather than increased insurance.
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 04:18 PM
RIP Ashwin

Sportbike: twin turbo supercharged busa
Years Riding: Just got my license
How you found us: A tramp stamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
+1, I got a 15mph over ticket last month in Naperville and this is what i did. It cost me $75.00.

Edit: Refer to Dre's post above.
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Just an Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre View Post
From the site linked above:

OP's daughter is 20, therefore she must appear to request supervision. Also there is a fee for court supervision, and he was looking for the cheapest option... Although the cheapest option is probably paying for court supervision rather than increased insurance.
Oops...that's how pissed off I was when I wrote that...
She's 21, turns 22 in April...

Fuck....I'm still pissed off...

Well it looks like she will be earning her fine money around the house...$5 an hour should be about right...

Bob T.

post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Oops...that's how pissed off I was when I wrote that...
She's 21, turns 22 in April...

Fuck....I'm still pissed off...

Well it looks like she will be earning her fine money around the house...$5 an hour should be about right...
Per my post earlier... pay her at least minimum wage. Otherwise you are saying she is not even worth that...

...unless that's the message you are trying to send...

Everyone Exaggerates

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 04:26 PM

Good plan Bob At least she'll be working it off.

STT "A" 130

post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Just an Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
Per my post earlier... pay her at least minimum wage. Otherwise you are saying she is not even worth that...

...unless that's the message you are trying to send...
Arch....I hear ya...

All we've every asked from her was the effort.
Finding a job can be tough, especially with her limited work history...and before we pulled her insurance, we told her that.

We didn't expect her to find a job immediately, but we did expect her to seriously look for one.
Filling out one app a month and waiting for an answer isn't an effort.
We also expected her to pull her weight with the house chores.
Staying out partying until 2am, sleeping until noon and then leaving again after eating lunch is not pulling your weight.

Believe me when I say we have been supportive, have given direction and offered job leads and tips...oh we have and plenty.

When I pulled her insurance I gave her three weeks to show me she was at least trying....driving to apply, or interview, or anything...
She did nothing...she flat out told us it was too hard for her.

I have no guilt...

Bob T.

Last edited by BobT; 02-09-2010 at 06:14 PM.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Fat guy on a sport bike

Sportbike: Schwinn
Years Riding: 7 minutes and 52 seconds
How you found us: ask.com

Finding a job is not hard. Finding a job that you enjoy is a different story.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 10:16 PM

Sportbike: Half an SV 650
Years Riding: '07
How you found us: CLSB found me

if she is assessed a supervision + fine, and replies that she can't pay the fine on the spot, the judge might give her the option of community service instead. whatever you do, don't just send it in and pay the fine to accept the conviction on her record. it will haunt her for longer than she deserves. also note that you can't get more than 2 supervisions within a year. good luck!

Jordan
NESBA/CCS #811
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Irony helps us play!

Case Dismissed.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Pronto PLEASE !!!

Sportbike: Bikeless :-(
Years Riding: 5 days now
How you found us: Brad Boehmer

Send a message via MSN to SENGVIN Send a message via Skype™ to SENGVIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richfiero View Post
BS !!!

Just go to court pay $50-$100 to Lawyer and he will dismiss it for u that's all!

post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Ride Naked

Sportbike: z1000
Years Riding: divide by zero error
How you found us: Panda Express

Send a message via AIM to mac11
Quote:

I've never claimed any of my roommates on my auto policy. No telling what the 4 fooks that I lived with in college would have doe to my rate, but they weren't going to give me money to help out with the policy so they weren't going to get put on it. And I wasn't on theirs.

Right now I live with my cousin and sister and neither of them are on my policy.

As long as she is not driving your car's she doesn't have to be.

Telling you that is just a way for the insurance companies to make more money off you.

Quote:
Oh he can drive. He can drive beyond the limits of the tires, the engine, the car or anything else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode