Understanding Economics - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes
 
The Funny Papers got some funny stuff? Make us laugh.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Greg
 
gsd656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Morton Grove, Illinois
Posts: 3,677
Location: Morton Grove, Illinois
Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com
           
Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
Understanding Economics

It is a slow day in the small Saskatchewan town of Pumphandle and streets are deserted.

Times are tough, everybody is in debt, and everybody is living on credit.

A tourist visiting the area drives through town, stops at the motel, and lays a $100 bill on the desk saying he wants to inspect the rooms upstairs to pick one for the night.

As soon as he walks upstairs, the motel owner grabs the bill and runs next door to pay his debt to the butcher.

The butcher takes the $100 and runs down the street to retire his debt to the pig farmer.

The pig farmer takes the $100 and heads off to pay his bill to his supplier, the Co-op.

The guy at the Co-op takes the $100 and runs to pay his debt to the local prostitute, who has also been facing hard times and has had to offer her "services" on credit.

The hooker rushes to the hotel and pays off her room bill with the hotel owner.
The hotel proprietor then places the $100 back on the counter so the traveler will not suspect anything.

At that moment the traveler comes down
the stairs, states that the rooms are not satisfactory, picks up the $100 bill and leaves.

No one produced anything.

No one earned anything...

However, the whole town is now out of debt and now looks to the future with a lot more optimism.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how a "stimulus package" works.
*

Greg

gsd656 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 12:28 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GL, WI
Posts: 5,356
Location: GL, WI
Sportbike: R6, SV1000s, rm250
Years Riding: since 2001 in socal
How you found us: team chicago
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd656 View Post
It is a slow day in the small Saskatchewan town of Pumphandle and streets are deserted.

Times are tough, everybody is in debt, and everybody is living on credit.

A tourist visiting the area drives through town, stops at the motel, and lays a $100 bill on the desk saying he wants to inspect the rooms upstairs to pick one for the night.

As soon as he walks upstairs, the motel owner grabs the bill and runs next door to pay his debt to the butcher.

The butcher takes the $100 and runs down the street to retire his debt to the pig farmer.

The pig farmer takes the $100 and heads off to pay his bill to his supplier, the Co-op.

The guy at the Co-op takes the $100 and runs to pay his debt to the local prostitute, who has also been facing hard times and has had to offer her "services" on credit.

The hooker rushes to the hotel and pays off her room bill with the hotel owner.
The hotel proprietor then places the $100 back on the counter so the traveler will not suspect anything.

At that moment the traveler comes down
the stairs, states that the rooms are not satisfactory, picks up the $100 bill and leaves.

No one produced anything.

No one earned anything...

However, the whole town is now out of debt and now looks to the future with a lot more optimism.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how a "stimulus package" works.
*
awesome!
Superspud needs his med's is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 12:30 PM
You got the talkin' done
 
jrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Alaska, WI
Posts: 15,711
Location: Alaska, WI
Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires
           
The hotel owner is the only one out any money.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
jrock is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 12:30 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GL, WI
Posts: 5,356
Location: GL, WI
Sportbike: R6, SV1000s, rm250
Years Riding: since 2001 in socal
How you found us: team chicago
           
I'm confused though. Don't we need to blow 3 trillion on bailing out failing financial institutions so they can pay HUGE bonus's to executives who earned them for being smart?

That money never will make it back to the tax payer ultimately responsible for the debt.
Superspud needs his med's is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Liberal Slayer
 
Achtung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Saint Charles, IL.
Posts: 379
Location: Saint Charles, IL.
Sportbike: Yamaha R6
Years Riding: Not Long Enough!
How you found us: I saw smoke signals
       
+1 - Classic!
Achtung is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Liberal Slayer
 
Achtung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Saint Charles, IL.
Posts: 379
Location: Saint Charles, IL.
Sportbike: Yamaha R6
Years Riding: Not Long Enough!
How you found us: I saw smoke signals
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
The hotel owner is the only one out any money.
Only if the Hotel owner is a Democrat would he/she count the POTENCIAL 100 dollor bill as income.

Achtung is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Wisconsin FIB
 
TripleZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rosendale, WI
Posts: 2,241
Location: Rosendale, WI
Sportbike: Speed Triple 06 Blue
Years Riding: Since June 2002
How you found us: Pilotx1
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSpud View Post
I'm confused though. Don't we need to blow 3 trillion on bailing out failing financial institutions so they can pay HUGE bonus's to executives who earned them for being smart?

That money never will make it back to the tax payer ultimately responsible for the debt.
Except that the Wall street Exec, who made the million dollar bonus, spends it on goods. This gives money to a company, that then hires a new person for labor. (The taxpayer). The new laborer gets a paycheck they previously wouldn't have had, and are essentially paid back. (More money is now in their pocket, than they paid into taxes for the bailout)

Its the same concept as lowering taxes which Republicans like to preach. You allow people to bring home more money, with the hope they will spend more money.

A bailout (debt reduction), Stimulus (forced spending), Tax Reduction (increased pay), Tax Refund (handing money out)...... All do basically the same thing. They increase consumer and business confidence in the future and spur spending. Spending means a growing economy. The debate is.... which action helps the best at what time.
TripleZ is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 12:42 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GL, WI
Posts: 5,356
Location: GL, WI
Sportbike: R6, SV1000s, rm250
Years Riding: since 2001 in socal
How you found us: team chicago
           
off shore bank accounts

oh the rest went to my properties in Rio de Janeiro and Fiji

IF I had that much coin uncle sam and big gov can suck it, I'm outta here.

can't wait to retire


Last edited by Superspud needs his med's; 01-06-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Superspud needs his med's is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:20 PM
The Victim Newbie
 
clearwaterms's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Westchester, IL
Posts: 7,384
Location: Westchester, IL
Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com
           
Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd656 View Post
It is a slow day in the small Saskatchewan town of Pumphandle and streets are deserted.

Times are tough, everybody is in debt, and everybody is living on credit.

A tourist visiting the area drives through town, stops at the motel, and lays a $100 bill on the desk saying he wants to inspect the rooms upstairs to pick one for the night.

As soon as he walks upstairs, the motel owner grabs the bill and runs next door to pay his debt to the butcher.

The butcher takes the $100 and runs down the street to retire his debt to the pig farmer.

The pig farmer takes the $100 and heads off to pay his bill to his supplier, the Co-op.

The guy at the Co-op takes the $100 and runs to pay his debt to the local prostitute, who has also been facing hard times and has had to offer her "services" on credit.

The hooker rushes to the hotel and pays off her room bill with the hotel owner.
The hotel proprietor then places the $100 back on the counter so the traveler will not suspect anything.

At that moment the traveler comes down
the stairs, states that the rooms are not satisfactory, picks up the $100 bill and leaves.

No one produced anything.

No one earned anything...

However, the whole town is now out of debt and now looks to the future with a lot more optimism.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how a "stimulus package" works.
*
The email is funny, but not accurate

everytime the money changes hands the government wants its piece, so by the time it gets back to the hotel, its probably a $10 bill, some belly lint and a few rusty pieces of change.

Additionally, the email states, nobody produced anything - the pig farmer did produce the pig. The Co-Op produced the food to feed the pig. The electrical company produced the electricity to keep both of those places lit. The hooker produced a venerial disease. you get the idea..

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
clearwaterms is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:20 PM
he who is absent foreskin
 
Loki047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Posts: 5,704
Location: Northshore - Deerfield
Sportbike: Z1000
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: Search Engine
           
Send a message via AIM to Loki047
Cute - but i usually try not to lend at 0% interest. Specially not to my hooker

Jordan
Loki047 is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:52 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GL, WI
Posts: 5,356
Location: GL, WI
Sportbike: R6, SV1000s, rm250
Years Riding: since 2001 in socal
How you found us: team chicago
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms View Post
The email is funny, but not accurate

everytime the money changes hands the government wants its piece, so by the time it gets back to the hotel, its probably a $10 bill, some belly lint and a few rusty pieces of change.

Additionally, the email states, nobody produced anything - the pig farmer did produce the pig. The Co-Op produced the food to feed the pig. The electrical company produced the electricity to keep both of those places lit. The hooker produced a venerial disease. you get the idea..
where did the hooker get VD from and why would you want to patronize her services if she is sick?
Superspud needs his med's is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome