dunlop or michelin - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

The Funny Papers got some funny stuff? Make us laugh.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2001GSXR1000
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: guys at nesba events

dunlop or michelin

2001 gsxr 1000 gonna get me some slicks for the track this year.talked to afew people over the last 12 months.some say dunlop some say michelin.some say 180 rear .i say know way have read alot of negatives about the geometry of that switch.ihave my bike set up pretty good right now but the 208 ZR"s dont hold the track well enough.I have an I rating for nesba,my best times are in the mid to low 24"s. at BHF.Ido have my mind made on only one thing soft front medium rear.let me know youre pro"s and cons" on both Ogreat ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 12:04 AM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: 2001 ZX9R
Years Riding: 4th season
How you found us: Ken is my gay lover

Send a message via AIM to cherrypicker
Whichever you decide, you might want to invest in some tire warmers and a little generator if you're planning on getting serious.

My honest opinion, wiht lap times in the mid 24's (still very good times BTW) on a 1000, you have a little ways to go before you're ready for the extra corner speed the slicks will provide. If you were running in the 20's I'd say go for it.

Sitckier tires could be a double edged sword that makes certain bad habits worse. Having less grip forces yo uto be smoother with the grip you have and learn cleaner lines and better throttle & braking technique.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 05:32 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Where's the joke? I thought this was the funny papers forum.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for youre in put.ihope to be stepping up my learnig curveonce again this year with level 3 CSS.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

My goal was to cut an additional 2 seconds off by june 04.But since you said mid 20's i now think it will be 4seconds.im sure it will be more difficult than the last 4.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

anyone else have any educated comments?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 11:37 PM

Sportbike: I don't ride
How you found us: google

Having raced on slicks the past 2 years, I'd tell you to go with dunlops if you have to have slicks. Dunlops are bit more predictable when the tires go away. They go away gradually whereas the michelins work and then all of sudden you're on your head. Consider Bridgestone slicks as well, I hear nothing but good things about them from my fellow racers and I believe they are slightly cheaper too. In my opinion, if you're doing 24's on DOTs, you're not going to go any faster with slicks. Most of us are limited by our own skills rather than that of our equipment but if slicks will make you feel more confident, then by all means get some and have fun.

<---- Useless Mufugga
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

my times are definetly going to improve this year.I have only been to school CSS twice and nesba twice.for a total of 4 times on the track.I believe i have much more room for improve ment.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bwezx6
My goal was to cut an additional 2 seconds off by june 04.But since you said mid 20's i now think it will be 4seconds.im sure it will be more difficult than the last 4.
You can cut 2 seconds at blackhawk easily on the beast of a bike you're riding. Carry just a teeny weeny bit more corner speed thru turn 7 and get on the gas a teeny weeny bit earlier coming out of it. You got 2 seconds right there. To cut 2 more seconds, do the same thing going in and out of turn 1. But on a more serious note, 20's don't warrant slicks man. At that kind of speed, there's no difference between slicks and dots. By the way, when you said 208 ZR.. are those the race dots or the ones that came on the bike?

<---- Useless Mufugga

Last edited by Chunk; 02-01-2004 at 12:00 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

My bike came w/bridgestone 010's then i baught 208 ZR's 3trackdays and some time on the street and they were toast.then got a second set for the last track day in september.and that is were i sit now.they just felt like i was sliding around a bit.so i thaught a slick migt remedee that problem.the GP's and GPA's i could not find a 190 rear.my sag is set and i have been dialing in my comp/rebound.trying to get the best for me out of my factory suspension.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

ihave turn 1 down ok i could use some braking tips though.and the carosol turn 3?knee dragin all the way through that one.I have alco done road america but it rained most of the day.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

so most likely slicks souldnt be a concern for me this year.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 10:13 PM

Go with a 180 rear if a 190 race dot isn't available. The 180's might actually make your bike a bit more flickable. There's barely any difference between a slick and a race dot. You sliding around probably has more to do with the brute horsepower of that bike rather than the tires being inadequate. Just remember that slicks don't work at all unless they are up to temp. You should consider Pirellis, they make race dots in from super soft to hard. I hear from all the fast boys that they work pretty much off the bat.

As far as braking. I don't know if I can say anything to help you since I ride a 250 but I thought I read somewhere that you should brake the hardest during the beginning of your braking since the rotational forces of the front wheel make it almost impossible to lock up the wheel and then gradually let off as you set up for the corner. Which basically allows you to brake harder and deeper into a corner. Everyone knows that you can corner faster and brake harder on a 250 than a big bike right? The truth is that the little bikes get on the brakes just about the same place as the bigger bikes but we just don't brake as hard and let off the brakes alot sooner giving the illusion that we're braking later. The advantage of your bike is it's brute speed off the corners but that same horsepower can bite you on your ass if you're lacking throttle control which can also make you believe that your suspension is jacked or that you're tires are bad. Of course this is just an opinion from a 250 rider Perhaps them Kingpin racing fellas can help you out better since one of them rides a big nasty 750.

<---- Useless Mufugga

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode