Born in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's or 70's? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

The Funny Papers got some funny stuff? Make us laugh.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Born in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's or 70's?

Yes its another one but i liked this!

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.
Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat. We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle. We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!! We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!
We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from any of these incidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever. We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!
The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL! And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the good fortune to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good, and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 07:36 AM
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

Yep, scissors in one hand, a pencil in the other. While sucking on a Tootsie Pop.

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 07:36 AM
Not fast but persistent!

Sportbike: 95,93 GSXR-750, '04 Volusia, A few KDX's
Years Riding: Few yrs
How you found us: search

We never rang the door bell or knocked on the door. For us it was " YO RAY LETS GO!". If you wanted to call a friend they had better live more than 2 miles away or you were walking to their house. Thanx for the memories Kelly.

Its not how fast you get there,But the condition you arrive.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 07:57 AM
Sarcasm in every post.

Lets not forget.

If you wanted extra money, you got a job. Mowing yards, painting fences, or working on a near by farm, etc. Most didn't get allowances.

Entertainment often consisted of BB guns, bow and arrows, jarts, climbing trees, playing on rock piles.

Dogs were rarely chained, and well excersied, by chasing you, while on your bike.

The feeling of the wind in your face while in the back of that pickup, is probably what lead you to motorcycles.

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 08:12 AM
Rex Banner

Sportbike: 99 SV650, z50r
Years Riding: A few years
How you found us: A tranny told me

And who can forget lawn darts with the big metal spike on the end?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 08:17 AM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Hellfish
And who can forget lawn darts with the big metal spike on the end?

i remember playing lawn darts in my grandparents backyard when I was a kid. By far, the most super dangerous game ever invented

big, heavy 6 inch steel darts, you throw up in the air and try to get them to land in a circle. All with 10-12 kids running around. sweet bejesus that was a bad idea

Eric
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 08:22 AM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard_002000
i remember playing lawn darts in my grandparents backyard when I was a kid. By far, the most super dangerous game ever invented

big, heavy 6 inch steel darts, you throw up in the air and try to get them to land in a circle. All with 10-12 kids running around. sweet bejesus that was a bad idea

On a rainy day what did we play with Wood Burning kits. Real Creepy Crawlers that got real hot. Electroplating metals and dont for get the sealed room with model glue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout67
Lets not forget.

If you wanted extra money, you got a job. Mowing yards, painting fences, or working on a near by farm, etc. Most didn't get allowances.

Entertainment often consisted of BB guns, bow and arrows, jarts, climbing trees, playing on rock piles.

Dogs were rarely chained, and well excersied, by chasing you, while on your bike.

The feeling of the wind in your face while in the back of that pickup, is probably what lead you to motorcycles.

YEha you are right. I remember growing up in northern WI. We would go of roading threw the national forest with 5-6 people in the back of a pick up truck and shoot targets with our .410 shotguns bouncing down a dirt road at 50 MPH.

Those were the days!! MAN WE ARE HARD ASSES!!!!!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 08:47 AM
Sarcasm in every post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin
On a rainy day what did we play with Wood Burning kits. Real Creepy Crawlers that got real hot. Electroplating metals and dont for get the sealed room with model glue.
Thanks for reminding me of that.

We also ran through the woods all day. Not caring about ticks, and everything else in there.

Ken.

My Garage.

Last edited by scout67; 06-20-2006 at 08:52 AM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I have a scar on the side of my stomach from getting stitches in a running with scissors related incident.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 01:59 PM
Ooooooooohhh!!!!

Sportbike: Katana 750
Years Riding: 30 years
How you found us: google search

Send a message via Yahoo to blackrose613
This is SOOOO unbelievable true it is not even funny. I shake my head in shame and disappointment at the kids today.... needing a ride 3 blocks to a friends house, sitting around saying they are "bored". Kids today have ZERO initiative or ambition... it is truly a very sad thing. Even my own son! and I try so hard to motivate him.. even doing some of that stuff myself with him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labdog

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.
Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat. We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle. We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!! We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!
We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from any of these incidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever. We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!
The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL! And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the good fortune to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good, and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

_________
Chrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
Lol I am no pimp. I am married and have no game.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Human lawn dart

Sportbike: 03 ninja 6r 05 ttr-230 04 klx300r
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: I know all

Send a message via AIM to rdrash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard_002000

But it really improved our reaction time when you started throughing them at you brothers. Not that I would know that.

I'm not short. I'm aerodynamically efficient.

Anti Helmet Laws Pro Darwinism
MotoGP 200 mph no roll cage
NESBA # 599
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 02:17 PM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

And that, my friends, is why Americans were tough. We built up immunities to virtually everything!

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 02:20 PM
teets

Sportbike: teets
Years Riding: teets
How you found us: teets

Send a message via AIM to Flounder
Do I apply? I was born in 1979

teets
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 02:23 PM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger
Born in the 30's, 40's,...........

For all the 70 and 80 year old members trolling the site..........

We've got BusaDave and Sloroll.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 02:40 PM
Rex Banner

Sportbike: 99 SV650, z50r
Years Riding: A few years
How you found us: A tranny told me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder
Do I apply? I was born in 1979
So was I and I remember chuckin lawn darts at my cousins
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrose613
This is SOOOO unbelievable true it is not even funny. I shake my head in shame and disappointment at the kids today.... needing a ride 3 blocks to a friends house, sitting around saying they are "bored". Kids today have ZERO initiative or ambition... it is truly a very sad thing. Even my own son! and I try so hard to motivate him.. even doing some of that stuff myself with him!

You guys might laugh but I am considering getting married and with that poss a kid. We have plans to move north of the green bay are to raise our family so they don't get sucked into this lazy life were every thing is done for them. I want my kids to split wood, work for there money, and lern good honest values you can only get living away from the city. I also want them to learn to live off the land if need be. Just like I was raised.

Alot of people give me shit about being a bit red around the neck but damn! Better than a lazy fuck!!
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 01:23 AM
M109R

Sportbike: 07 Suzuki Boulevard M109R
Years Riding: 6
How you found us: ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincapsize
You guys might laugh but I am considering getting married and with that poss a kid. We have plans to move north of the green bay are to raise our family so they don't get sucked into this lazy life were every thing is done for them. I want my kids to split wood, work for there money, and lern good honest values you can only get living away from the city. I also want them to learn to live off the land if need be. Just like I was raised.

Alot of people give me shit about being a bit red around the neck but damn! Better than a lazy fuck!!

You know if you become Amish you cannot ride a motorcycle anymore

How do you turn this thing on?
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 06:11 AM
" It Time To Ride "

Sportbike: Suzuki GSX-R750
Years Riding: 20+
How you found us: Long search for motorcycle clubs online

Send a message via MSN to Justmax
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labdog

Can You SaY " FLASHBACK"

US MARINE CORP
"Semper Fi''

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 09:04 AM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincapsize

WOW!

I never thought living like that made people Rednecks but, I guess I'm a Redneck.

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode