Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Some guy hit my car this morning.

1K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  TerminatorR1 
#1 ·
I'm all pissed off so i have to rant about it. It happened at the roosevelt on ramp to 355S. I rollled through the toll plaza right lane with my I-pass. I saw this blue van slowed down a bit by the 2 cars in front of him in the left toll lane. All three of those cars must have had I-pass cause they moved through quickly and the first two passed my slow civic easily. Well the blue van must have decided to do the same since as the two lanes merged into one he came barreling by on my left. As it moved to one lane I was being run off the road and I honked to notify him to my presence, he then swerved around like he was either startled or crazy. His swerving clipped my left front quarter panel before I could jam on the brakes. Needless to say, I wasnt happy.

What makes this even better is that he told the cop that I had tried to cut him off. I dont think this van even noticed my presence as he blasted by me. Now I dont know what the insurance is going to do on this one. What a shitty way to start my day.

rant off.

#28 ·
Crazy said:

sheesh Max....those curbs like to come up and bit you alot dont' they.:laughing :laughing :laughing :evil

ROFL!!! :laughing :laughing Daaaaaamn Max, you really did step in it this time :D :D

#29 ·
GsxrTony said:

ROFL!!! :laughing :laughing Daaaaaamn Max, you really did step in it this time :D :D

Tons of ammo around here today:laughing :laughing :rofl

#30 ·
That sucks Chris! The good news is that in addition to each persons story about how the accident happens, the officer also fills out a report on what he thinks happened. You should wait a few days and petition the police department for the officer's copy of the report. This will give you a better idea where you stand.

#32 ·
Anyway.....try calling up his insurance company first...before calling yours. That's waht i did when the old lady hit my car. I called her company and said that one of there customers hit my car. they took down my statement...than got in touch with her...and guess what....she admitted fault and they bought me a new bumper cover($800 for a damn bumper cover and labor to install it!!!!).

Yah never know....try it....you just might get his company to fix it without too much haggle.

if they tell you to cram it...than go talk to yours and let them fight over it.

BTW what insurance company are you with?

At 25 watch your rates drop in half!!!!!!!!!!

#33 ·
That sucks Chris. it's just bad luck.

I'm sure the guy saw you because he just passed you. I think he just freaked out and panicked or was really pissed you were driving so slow.

My sugestion.... get a rubber mallet and fix the sheetmetal. Find a new turn signal at the junk yard. Get long sheetmetal screws, black duct tape and a hacksaw ot fix the bumper. $30 and you all good to go.

Oh and drive faster and more aggressive next time. I always accelerate quickly from a stop... it's the only advantage a small car has over big V8's with automatic tranny's. Just like on a bike... you're safer if you stay ahead or out of people's way. Without realizing it ... you broke that rule.

#34 ·
Jack said:

Now, who is really at fault could be some stupid rule like you were behind the other guy so you should have let him in and he had the right-of-way. Who knows. Stupid things...

Thats only on the race track where that applies JAck.

The lane that is MERGING has to YIELD to the traffic on the road they are merging into. That also applies to lanes that merge because they are ending. Whether or not their car is slightly ahead or what, they are REQUIRED TO YIELD. Thats one of those laws that really are on the books in every state.

#35 ·
YZFRob said:
Whether or not their car is slightly ahead or what, they are REQUIRED TO YIELD. Thats one of those laws that really are on the books in every state.
Basically if your lane is ending it's your problem not theirs. Just like when you're on a 2 lane road and there's a tractor in your lane... it's you job to safely get around it. The oncomming traffic doesn't have to stop, you do.

The only exception is traffic merging directly onto a limited access freeway. But that doesn't apply in your case.

Seriously, next time flog the little Gerbil under the hood and don't let the fucker get past you in the first place. Always works for me. Not one accident involving a moving object in 9 years and 130,000 miles (including the motorcycle). Just 2 curbs and 2 landscaping boulders.

I'm with Max, those damn curbs jump right out at you. :rolleyes :laughing

#36 ·
cherrypicker said:

Basically if your lane is ending it's your problem not theirs. Just like when you're on a 2 lane road and there's a tractor in your lane... it's you job to safely get around it. The oncomming traffic doesn't have to stop, you do.

The only exception is traffic merging directly onto a limited access freeway. But that doesn't apply in your case.

Seriously, next time flog the little Gerbil under the hood and don't let the fucker get past you in the first place. Always works for me. Not one accident involving a moving object in 9 years and 130,000 miles (including the motorcycle). Just 2 curbs and 2 landscaping boulders.

I'm with Max, those damn curbs jump right out at you. :rolleyes :laughing

Bingo.:D

BTW Vcooks gerbil is on strike. Something about the gerbil complaining about a tube and Vcooks ass.:evil :evil

Sorry. Had to take the cheap shot there.:D:D

#37 ·
Chris: I am guessing you received a motorist report from the cop. Who is listed as vehicle one on the report, and who is listed as vehicle 2 on the report. Being in the insurance industry, 99.9% of the time, the vehicle listed as #1 on the report, is who the cop thinks is a "majority" at fault.

#38 ·
he was listed first on the report so that is a bonus. his lane merged into mine i believe but its hazy with that onramp, almost both merge together. Cherry, I was beating the engine pretty good and I rolled through the toll plaza with my i-pass so i wasnt coming from a complete stop. The guy just decided he could pass me last second but didnt have the room or speed.

#40 ·
Vcook said:
he was listed first on the report so that is a bonus. his lane merged into mine i believe but its hazy with that onramp, almost both merge together. Cherry, I was beating the engine pretty good and I rolled through the toll plaza with my i-pass so i wasnt coming from a complete stop. The guy just decided he could pass me last second but didnt have the room or speed.
Good deal he was listed first.:thumbsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.