Newb to Chicago - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

New Member Introductions new to the club? looking for your first bike? what ever, come on in and say hello.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
God forgives, we don't

Sportbike: K7 Gixxer 600, 15 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
Years Riding: 5+
How you found us: On the interwebz

Newb to Chicago

Well hello folks. I will be moving to the Chicago area in the next month or so. I'm originally from Istanbul, Turkey as my screen name suggests but have lived here in the US majority of my life. Washington D.C. is still what I call home, but have lived in Dallas, TX for the past two years. Hopefully by mid July I should be settled in somewhere West of Chicago. We are currently looking in Aurora, Napersville, St. Charles areas. Will finalize a place on the weekend of June 15-18th when my girl's company flies us out there again.

I got to visit the city about three weeks ago and my first impression was that people are very friendly. Actually much friendlier than Texans. The food was great, and I liked the roads. Not too many twisties per say but the roads themselves are in great condition compared to TX. I have to say TX has some of the worse roads in the country and I have lived in many different parts. Not only that but its even flatter than Oklahoma which is saying something. In any case, I ride a Multistrada 1200 on the street and a have a dedicated K7 Gixxer 600 track bike...

I have two questions:

1) What are some other good areas to live in about 30 miles outside the city and relatively close to the airport? I work from home but my girl will have to commute.

2) What is the track day scene like in Chicago? What tracks are there within driving distance (<5 hours)? I got to visit Blackhawk during our last visit and it seemed decent, besides entering and exiting the track requires you to literally drive through the track.

Hope to get some rides in as soon as I move up and meet some of you in person. Until then keep it safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 11:47 PM

Sportbike: triumph speed four
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: fell asleep on my softail and woke up here

Welcome to the site

Sill trying to get my first track day in, but there are a good number that alot of the folks on here visit, Blackhawk being one of them

Hope the move goes smooth.

visor down
nesba #608
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 12:47 AM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkishexpress View Post
Well hello folks. I will be moving to the Chicago area in the next month or so. I'm originally from Istanbul, Turkey as my screen name suggests but have lived here in the US majority of my life. Washington D.C. is still what I call home, but have lived in Dallas, TX for the past two years. Hopefully by mid July I should be settled in somewhere West of Chicago. We are currently looking in Aurora, Napersville, St. Charles areas. Will finalize a place on the weekend of June 15-18th when my girl's company flies us out there again.

I got to visit the city about three weeks ago and my first impression was that people are very friendly. Actually much friendlier than Texans. The food was great, and I liked the roads. Not too many twisties per say but the roads themselves are in great condition compared to TX. I have to say TX has some of the worse roads in the country and I have lived in many different parts. Not only that but its even flatter than Oklahoma which is saying something. In any case, I ride a Multistrada 1200 on the street and a have a dedicated K7 Gixxer 600 track bike...

I have two questions:

1) What are some other good areas to live in about 30 miles outside the city and relatively close to the airport? I work from home but my girl will have to commute.

2) What is the track day scene like in Chicago? What tracks are there within driving distance (<5 hours)? I got to visit Blackhawk during our last visit and it seemed decent, besides entering and exiting the track requires you to literally drive through the track.

Hope to get some rides in as soon as I move up and meet some of you in person. Until then keep it safe.

I save you the time and say if for all of us

DON'T FUCKING MOVE HERE or anywhere around Chicago at least within a 100 mile radius

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
^^Don't listen to this nonsense. Chicago is a wonderful place to live. Sure, it has its issues, but the City is amazing and the people here are top notch...mentioning food, unbeatable.

I'm partial to the SW suburbs. The Naperville/Downers Grove/Lisle/Glen Elyn/Wheaton areas are very nice, easy access to the highways and right between the two airports.

Welcome!

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 10:08 AM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

Welcome. Chicago is a good place to live in the US.

As for living near the airports, there are two major airports in Chicago, O'Hare and Midway. If your girl commutes primarily in the midwest, Midway may be an option. If it's mostly to the coasts or international, then O'Hare is your best choice.

Lots of nice areas, and just a few that aren't.

As for tracks/track day orgs, we used to have three local TD organizations, STT, NESBA and Motovid. NESBA cancelled the MW region season this spring, and it's unknown if they'll be back or not. That leaves STT and Motovid. Some of the tracks listed below have other orgs running days there as well. Check their web sites for calendars.

Motovid runs at Blackhawk Farms
STT has days at several tracks - Check their schedule on-line

We are blessed with lots of tracks nearby.

Tracks within 5 hours of the Chicago Area:

ACC (Autobahn Country Club) - Joliet, IL
Blackhawk Farms Raceway - South Beloit, IL
Gingerman Raceway - South Haven, MI
Road America - Elkhart Lake, WI
Grattan Raceway - Grand Rapids, MI
Putnam Park Road Course - Mt Meridan (Cloverdale), IN
Gateway - East St. Louis, IL

A bit farther out are

Iowa Speedway - Newton, IA (6 Hours)
Mid-Ohio Road Course - OH (6 Hours)
Beaver Run - PA (7 Hours)
Neslon Ledges - OH (7 Hours)
Mid-America Motorplex - IA (8 Hours)

Craig

Last edited by beac83; 06-05-2012 at 10:17 AM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
God forgives, we don't

Thanks for the welcome and info guys. That is a lot of tracks. I'm excited about that. And yes, I forgot to mention we're looking in Naperville area too. I hear the winters are brutal in Chicago but the way I figure its a trade off. 3 months in TX its so freaking hot I don't even ride or go outside. Now its going to be because of the cold it looks like lol.

In any case, my other concern about IL is the strict gun laws. I contacted ISP and Kane County PD already but they haven't responded back to me regarding FOID. I will be bringing a bunch of firearms with me but the transportation laws between counties while moving into IL are muggy at best from everything I have researched. And getting a FOID requires me to have an IL ID which I won't have until I physically move there. Any light you could shed on it would be appreciated...
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 05:18 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerk View Post
^^Don't listen to this nonsense. Chicago is a wonderful place to live. Sure, it has its issues, but the City is amazing and the people here are top notch...mentioning food, unbeatable.

I'm partial to the SW suburbs. The Naperville/Downers Grove/Lisle/Glen Elyn/Wheaton areas are very nice, easy access to the highways and right between the two airports.

Welcome!
hence the

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2M View Post
hence the
Was just clarifying

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 05:22 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome and info guys. That is a lot of tracks. I'm excited about that. And yes, I forgot to mention we're looking in Naperville area too. I hear the winters are brutal in Chicago but the way I figure its a trade off. 3 months in TX its so freaking hot I don't even ride or go outside. Now its going to be because of the cold it looks like lol.

In any case, my other concern about IL is the strict gun laws. I contacted ISP and Kane County PD already but they haven't responded back to me regarding FOID. I will be bringing a bunch of firearms with me but the transportation laws between counties while moving into IL are muggy at best from everything I have researched. And getting a FOID requires me to have an IL ID which I won't have until I physically move there. Any light you could shed on it would be appreciated...
on the guns issue option A

Transport them in the car secured blah blah as usual if you get stop you have a out of state id and your not required to have a FOID. Once you get your il dl then go the state police website down load the app, send that with a photo of your self no IT DOES not have to be a actual picture, a pic taken showing your shoulders/face printed from a printer with suffice since they now use the pic take when you get your DL

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 05:24 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerk View Post
Was just clarifying
I still dislike IL period and would never recommend anyone moving here. To expensive to many raises of tax blah blah blah.

Besides the ability to come and go outside the yard anytime our rights are = to that of a prisoner

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Orgynizer

Sportbike: 07 600RR
Years Riding: 8 years
How you found us: ......................

Welcome!!

Craig covered all the tracks we have that are relatively close, I guess that's one good thing about living here

See ya soon!

Shelly
STT Northern Promotions Coordinator
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Soze

Sportbike: BMW S1000RR
Years Riding: what time is it?
How you found us: google

welcome kardash
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 07:41 PM

Sportbike: '03 SV 650S turned Nakid, '13 Empulse R
Years Riding: Enough
How you found us: Google

Chicago is a great place if you like riding on the track. There are tons of them around, and you could go almost every weekend if you could afford it.

I am partial to the I88 corridor you mentioned - Glen Ellen, Wheaton, Winfield, Warrenville, Naperville. Just be careful if you get too far away from the interstate because the side streets can be brutal traffic-wise.

Sean
03 SV650
13 Empulse R
05 Mazdaspeed Miata
13 JSW TDI

It is far better to be thought of as a smartass than an dumbass. And as American Humorist Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumbass question will inevitably appear smartassed". - Bob Hall (creator of the Miata)
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
God forgives, we don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajzer View Post
welcome kardash
Selam kardesim!

Quote:
I still dislike IL period and would never recommend anyone moving here. To expensive to many raises of tax blah blah blah.

Besides the ability to come and go outside the yard anytime our rights are = to that of a prisoner
I'm used to high taxes from Northern VA/DC. Lived in that area for 13 years. Texas was definitely a heaven as far as cost of living goes but you pay for it in boredom. Roads are horrible. Traffic lights are ancient and the drivers are some of the worse I have seen. So many accidents = high insurance rates as well. So I'm kind of ok with paying higher taxes now so that I get better service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin View Post
Welcome!!

Craig covered all the tracks we have that are relatively close, I guess that's one good thing about living here

See ya soon!
That's really good to hear. I like to do at least 5-6 track days a year. Hopefully I can start doing a few more out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopFu View Post
Chicago is a great place if you like riding on the track. There are tons of them around, and you could go almost every weekend if you could afford it.

I am partial to the I88 corridor you mentioned - Glen Ellen, Wheaton, Winfield, Warrenville, Naperville. Just be careful if you get too far away from the interstate because the side streets can be brutal traffic-wise.
I did get a taste of your concern when we were out there. They rented us a hotel in Geneva. Although a great city it was a pain getting to any major highway, which meant traffic and a crap ton of traffic lights. So I will definitely keep that in mind while we are up there in two weeks.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
God forgives, we don't

Quote:
on the guns issue option A

Transport them in the car secured blah blah as usual if you get stop you have a out of state id and your not required to have a FOID. Once you get your il dl then go the state police website down load the app, send that with a photo of your self no IT DOES not have to be a actual picture, a pic taken showing your shoulders/face printed from a printer with suffice since they now use the pic take when you get your DL
Good info! Everything will be locket up in proper cases with ammo separated. Thanks!
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
God forgives, we don't

And here is a picture and a video. Everyone loves vidz...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5j7gSBKmSk
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 11:57 PM
Eat a bag o' dix!

Sportbike: ratty one
Years Riding: a few days
How you found us: Uncle Bad Touch

Quote:

I got to visit the city about three weeks ago and my first impression was that people are very friendly. Actually much friendlier than Texans. the roads themselves are in great condition compared to TX. I have to say TX has some of the worse roads in the country
whatever you say buddy, good luck with that.

Welcome to the site, it's a keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki047 View Post
As long as their tits are bigger than their dicks, im in.

-"You will meet your destiny on the road of avoidance."

-"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

-"It's not considered premarital sex if you don't plan on getting married."
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Certified TRACK WHORE

Sportbike: 2008 R6 Race, 2009 R6 Street, 2005 GSXR Track
Years Riding: hmmmmmmm
How you found us: Word is in da streets(SuperGirl)

Hiya and welcome!

CCS #55 - Proudly sponsored by Farrell Performance, Motovid, Southeast Sales, Vortex, U.S. Chrome

MOTOVID.COM STAFF: CR(Control Rider) + Rider Clinic Instructor

MSF Certified Instructor/Rider Coach
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 11:05 AM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkyleg View Post
whatever you say buddy, good luck with that.

Hahahah So true. I lived in TX for a couple of years. No way in hell I would live in Chicago if I didn't have kids. I would move back to Texas in a heartbeat. Looking forward to meeting you dude. I don't think I will see you at the track since I on do supermoto stuff now.

Last edited by G2G; 06-06-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: spelling
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
God forgives, we don't

Man you guys are scaring me about Chicago now lol.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com

Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
Quote:
Man you guys are scaring me about Chicago now lol.
Welcome and grass is greener concept applies to all negative comments. Do we have issues, sure, but who doesn't.

Positives about Chicago: food, change of seasons (sometimes all 4 in one day), infrastructure, culture, work/business, etc.

Negatives: Ridiculous firearm laws, cold weather, short summers, etc.

I am sure there is more, but once you get here you can compare to other places you lived.

Greg

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 05:11 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkyleg View Post

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 05:42 PM
gfx

Sportbike: 2012 Yamaha Yzf-R6
Years Riding: 10k+
How you found us: random url?

Send a message via AIM to gfx
Welcome to the board... dont let any of these people scare you off...

Quote:
out of the place you listed above... if you have children... the St. Charles school district is by far the best around in my opinion.

i live in Pingree Grove and my commute to O'hare is about 30 miles (takes me about 30 - 45 minutes) if you dont mind that type of drive, Pingree Grove, Huntley, Lake In The Hills are all pretty decent towns to live in and they are pretty much yuppy-ville plenty of shopping/food/bars and not far from the downtown nightlife.

-James
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
God forgives, we don't

Thanks James. No kids here just dogs. I'm flying in tomorrow to finalize a place to live over the weekend. Current cities on the itinerary are St. Charles, Aurora, Napersville, Schaumburg (sp?).

I'm not too worried about location since I work from home but my girl will be traveling to downtown Chicago a couple of times a week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode