Hello I am new. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

New Member Introductions new to the club? looking for your first bike? what ever, come on in and say hello.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
New To Riding

Sportbike: Honda CBR 250R
How you found us: Google

Hello I am new.

Hello,

I am new to the site as you can see, I was just googling a bit and decided to see if there were any bike clubs in Chicago and there were tons, but I decided to check this one out because it seemed intriguing.

I am currently 20 years old and plan on buying my first [street] bike this year.

I plan on getting a Honda CBR 250R mainly because I heard it was a good bike to begin on and it is really affordable.

I had a couple of questions maybe someone could help me out with?

I have found some items on a certain online site and was wondering if the prices were good or not (I do not want to post a site and it be considered advertising) so can someone that is good at current market value message me on here? (these are aftermarket items that I would like to add on my bike).

Also anyone know a good bike training school? I know that the DMV has classes but not to sure where I did not get that far into reading.

Does anyone know of a good insurance company for a beginner with a bike like mine that will not break the bank?

One more thing, should I get the bike with the optional ABS or not a big deal?

Thanks again everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di
Years Riding: I thought I was getting the hang of it...back to the basics.
How you found us: mentioned on svrider.com

Send a message via Yahoo to gsd656
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoith View Post
Hello,

I am new to the site as you can see, I was just googling a bit and decided to see if there were any bike clubs in Chicago and there were tons, but I decided to check this one out because it seemed intriguing.

I am currently 20 years old and plan on buying my first [street] bike this year.

I plan on getting a Honda CBR 250R mainly because I heard it was a good bike to begin on and it is really affordable.

I had a couple of questions maybe someone could help me out with?

I have found some items on a certain online site and was wondering if the prices were good or not (I do not want to post a site and it be considered advertising) so can someone that is good at current market value message me on here? (these are aftermarket items that I would like to add on my bike).

Also anyone know a good bike training school? I know that the DMV has classes but not to sure where I did not get that far into reading.

Does anyone know of a good insurance company for a beginner with a bike like mine that will not break the bank?

One more thing, should I get the bike with the optional ABS or not a big deal?

Thanks again everyone!
Welcome!

Any 250 is a good starter. Good choice on taking a class, look into MSF classes:http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?state=IL

Most classes will be booked for a while, but you can do the waitlist option and just show up early.

If budget allows for it, but time does not, Harley's Riders Edge is an option as well as www.motorcyclelearning.com/ or www.ride-chicago.com/

Pete from State Farm is a vendor here, so reach out to him. He should be able to find you the best coverage, but also look at all other companies. Before you decide however, compare coverages not just premium amounts.

As far as accessories/options you mentioned, post them up, we have a lot of opinions here. We'll not only tell you if they are priced well, but we'll tell you how we feel about people who buy those things.

And finally, ABS, get it with if you can afford it. I am sure there will be some opinions against it, but that is what they are, opinions. Whatever can make you safer, in addition to your gear is worth it in my book.

Oh, one more thing. When you budget your purchase, make sure to leave a few dollars for gear, here we like riders who wear full gear.

Greg

post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
New To Riding

Okay thank you for the info and advice I will post more about the accessories later when I am not on my cell.

Thank you again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 09:06 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Welcome! As mentioned, start with an MSF class.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 09:52 PM

Sportbike: '03 SV 650S turned Nakid, '13 Empulse R
Years Riding: Enough

When I was younger I had good luck with Progressive. State Farm doesn't really cater to those under 25 unless you are attached to someone else's policy.

Sean
03 SV650
13 Empulse R
05 Mazdaspeed Miata
13 JSW TDI

It is far better to be thought of as a smartass than an dumbass. And as American Humorist Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumbass question will inevitably appear smartassed". - Bob Hall (creator of the Miata)
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Phlip Skwad Crew Member

Sportbike: '02 Suzie Kan-o-tuna(SOLD), K5
Years Riding: noob status
How you found us: AOL.com

Send a message via Skype™ to DaneG320u545
Welcome to CLSB! Definitely take the MSF course and good seat time after that. Get some gear and always gear up! When I was snooping at quotes about 3.5 months ago when I first got my bike (first bike) they were all about the same. Give or take a few dollars and coverages. But honestly, being a new rider AND under 25, you're still going to be paying a higher price. I ended up going with Geico as my cage is insured with them.

--
Dane

Sent from my iPhone

Dane

"Everybody knows it aint trickin if you got it"
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Pierced & tattooed freak!

Sportbike: 1999 GSX-R750
Years Riding: "None of your bleepin' business!" - Joe Pesci
How you found us: Read about it in a fortune cookie

Welcome aboard!

As previously said, take the MSF class, and invest in appropriate gear. While a 250 is a great bike to learn on (MSF provides them in the beginner class), you will probably outgrow it quickly, and you might find yourself looking for another bike soon afterwards. If you plan on buying something you will want to keep for a longer time, I'd recommend going to at least a 600. Plus, if you want to do some group riding, which does include some highway riding, a 600 would be better than a 250 (others may have differing opinions on this). It's not really a matter of "a 600 is too much bike" but more of "a 250 is too little bike" and a matter of saving yourself money over the long run (buying the 250, selling it at a loss, then buying a 600).

Dante: [to Randal] You never go ass-to-mouth!
Randal: [to Dante] Would you grow up!
Becky: [to Dante] OK, I'm only telling you this because we're friends, but sometimes, in the heat of the moment, it's forgivable to go ass-to-mouth.
Randal: [chuckling] Ha! I knew it.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
New To Riding

Okay thank you everyone for all of your help!
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:55 AM

Sportbike: 2010 Yamaha R1
Years Riding: 4

Send a message via Skype™ to drozek
Put the bike under your parents name insurance will be much cheaper

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?atmhzs
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
New To Riding

I do not live near my parents.. My father is in California and my mother is in Missouri, I am engaged and living with my fiance. Thanks for the help though. I not to worried about the insurance part its just getting a good bike for a good price.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 12:03 PM

Sportbike: CBR1000RR
Years Riding: Been around the block with training wheels
How you found us: Folks

Welcome

You better be nice to America or we will bring democracy to your country.
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 06:36 PM

Sportbike: '03 SV 650S turned Nakid, '13 Empulse R
Years Riding: Enough

Quote:
I not to worried about the insurance part its just getting a good bike for a good price.
Haven't checked the rates yet, eh

Sean
03 SV650
13 Empulse R
05 Mazdaspeed Miata
13 JSW TDI

It is far better to be thought of as a smartass than an dumbass. And as American Humorist Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumbass question will inevitably appear smartassed". - Bob Hall (creator of the Miata)
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 09:24 PM

Sportbike: 82 Suzuki GS650G, 2006 Yamaha FZ6
Years Riding: Started in 2010
How you found us: google

Pass the class, get your license and rates will go way down. It also depends on what kind of bike you're looking at. I pay around $300 a year for what is almost full coverage on my FZ6. I get quite a few discounts, and being that it's not an SS bike, and I'm way north of 20 helps out a lot.

Don't skimp on gear or you'll regret it. I went the cheap route and bought three helmets before I found an Arai that was comfortable, and fit properly. Had I bought the best lid from the get go I could have saved myself some cash. If you should happen to hit the asphalt nothing will protect your hide better than leather.

Good luck
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
New To Riding

I have been doing my research and I have found that insurance will cost anywhere from 80-300 a month and the class will make it 40-50 cheaper (I plan on taking the class anyways) I also plan on trying out some of the gear at a local shop rather than ordering online for a couple of different reasons; try it before I buy it and I get to help out a local business in these hard times.

I have decided to stick with the 250 modify it a bit and buy a new bike in a year or so.

Anyone know someone possibly on the site that may have a shop?
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I have been doing my research and I have found that insurance will cost anywhere from 80-300 a month and the class will make it 40-50 cheaper (I plan on taking the class anyways) I also plan on trying out some of the gear at a local shop rather than ordering online for a couple of different reasons; try it before I buy it and I get to help out a local business in these hard times.

I have decided to stick with the 250 modify it a bit and buy a new bike in a year or so.

Anyone know someone possibly on the site that may have a shop?

I haven't visited yet, but the Dstore is a vendor here.

And yes, there are quite a few good wrenches here too.
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:03 PM
lust for bikes!

Sportbike: a prostitute
Years Riding: a prostitute
How you found us: a prostitute

countryside yamaha.

mod a 250 lmao.

if you want to save money on insurance you dont need comp and coll. ive had no comp/coll since i was 17 with my brand new first sportbike. not a 250. made sure i didnt joey my bike and i saved fucking endless thousands.

"Why are all these people here? There are too many people on this earth. We need a new plagueÖ"

"Thats it, nobody gets out of here alive."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobbins View Post
I agree completely with Steve (nouseforaname)
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
New To Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouseforaname View Post
countryside yamaha.

mod a 250 lmao.

if you want to save money on insurance you dont need comp and coll. ive had no comp/coll since i was 17 with my brand new first sportbike. not a 250. made sure i didnt joey my bike and i saved fucking endless thousands.
Yeah I did say mod it who gives a shit there cheap to mod and if anything once I get the hang of it I will get a new bike like I stated and use this one to help others learn. So yeah I think I will mod my 250.

Ps, nothing is better than a site full of trolls.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 12:07 AM
lust for bikes!

Sportbike: a prostitute
Years Riding: a prostitute
How you found us: a prostitute

Quote:
Yeah I did say mod it who gives a shit there cheap to mod and if anything once I get the hang of it I will get a new bike like I stated and use this one to help others learn. So yeah I think I will mod my 250.

mod the fuck out of it bro and ps the world how u get but hurt like baby.

"Why are all these people here? There are too many people on this earth. We need a new plagueÖ"

"Thats it, nobody gets out of here alive."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobbins View Post
I agree completely with Steve (nouseforaname)
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Quote:
Don't you and Helena have staff meeting starting in (12) mins? - Have you updated your TPS Reports to show accurate correlation with other sites and their "1st Day Of Ownership" statistics?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Pierced & tattooed freak!

Sportbike: 1999 GSX-R750
Years Riding: "None of your bleepin' business!" - Joe Pesci
How you found us: Read about it in a fortune cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
Don't you and Helena have staff meeting starting in (12) mins? - Have you updated your TPS Reports to show accurate correlation with other sites and their "1st Day Of Ownership" statistics?
* Zinger! *

* Zinger! *

Dante: [to Randal] You never go ass-to-mouth!
Randal: [to Dante] Would you grow up!
Becky: [to Dante] OK, I'm only telling you this because we're friends, but sometimes, in the heat of the moment, it's forgivable to go ass-to-mouth.
Randal: [chuckling] Ha! I knew it.
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 11:14 AM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

Quote:

Yeah dude, why don't you close up that account now. We get it, now get the fuck out of here.

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..
post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 12:25 PM

WSE, love the new sig
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Greg

Sportbike: 2008 HD VRSCAW, 1985 Honda XR350R (Sold), 2001 SV650s (Sold), 2002 Sea-Doo GTX Di

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteSeatEnvy View Post
Yeah dude, why don't you close up that account now. We get it, now get the fuck out of here.
I really do not believe MrRoith is related to the new owners.

Greg

post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd656 View Post
I really do not believe MrRoith is related to the new owners.
I was only joking around but if he is, who cares.......

if not, his threads about bikes were ALL OVER the map and hard to decipher if he was really serious or not - Saying he will start on a 250 makes sense but then showing pics and asking about 1Ks just threw me off a bit

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Welcome

A Honda 250 is a fun little bike. So is a Ninja 250 if you are looking at that class. I'd look at a used Suzuki SV650 too. Better over all bike, low cost, very tame and the odds are you will drop it at some point. Meh on ABS, I'm not even sure it's available on any of the above. Save the $ and get better gear. Good luck.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 02:11 PM

Sportbike: 01 Giggy 7fidday
Years Riding: been riding your mom for years
How you found us: The hobo on lower wacker sold me the link.

Quote:
By whatever do you mean? Don't all new members use proper grammar all the time and speak with a dialect that doesn't sound fake at all? I would like to refute your accusation of him being apart of the new ownership. He seems 100% legit on wanting to modify his 2013 Honda CBR 250R.

Dgrsuspension.com

~ High Performance Coilovers

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Watching the Cubs lose is the opposite of appreciating a fine wine ó itís like watching a car accident in progress. Itís horrifying, yet gruesomely riveting, and you canít help but watch and sympathize with the poor souls inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
coming to CLSB for relationship advice is like asking fat people in mcdonalds about nutrition.
post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Greg

Quote:
I was only joking around but if he is, who cares.......

if not, his threads about bikes were ALL OVER the map and hard to decipher if he was really serious or not - Saying he will start on a 250 makes sense but then showing pics and asking about 1Ks just threw me off a bit
I got that you were joking and myself found it amusing. I just figured that I would chime in as this theory was gaining momentum.

I answered a few PMs from him and my conclusion was that he is a confused 20 year old, looking to get into the sport, and not knowing how to decipher the advise he was getting.

Anyways, cary on.

Greg

post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 02:49 PM

Sportbike: 01 Giggy 7fidday
Years Riding: been riding your mom for years
How you found us: The hobo on lower wacker sold me the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd656 View Post
I got that you were joking and myself found it amusing. I just figured that I would chime in as this theory was gaining momentum.

I answered a few PMs from him and my conclusion was that he is a confused 20 year old, looking to get into the sport, and not knowing how to decipher the advise he was getting.

Anyways, cary on.
Tonight is bike night, itll take 30 seconds to prove it otherwise.

Dgrsuspension.com

~ High Performance Coilovers

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Watching the Cubs lose is the opposite of appreciating a fine wine ó itís like watching a car accident in progress. Itís horrifying, yet gruesomely riveting, and you canít help but watch and sympathize with the poor souls inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
coming to CLSB for relationship advice is like asking fat people in mcdonalds about nutrition.
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAlero View Post
Tonight is bike night, itll take 30 seconds to prove it otherwise.

Greg

post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 07:24 PM
I survived the buyout

Sportbike: 2006 Ninja 250
Years Riding: Your language is offensive!
How you found us: Followed the drunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouseforaname View Post
mod the fuck out of it bro and ps the world how u get but hurt like baby.
slow your roll...its his bike, let him do what he wants

My Super Sexy Vlog
www.youtube.com/rennervlogs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode