Jim Cornelison - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Fat guy on a sport bike

Sportbike: Schwinn
Years Riding: 7 minutes and 52 seconds
How you found us: ask.com

Jim Cornelison

Since he will be singing the national anthem for the game on Sunday, I figured I'd research it a little bit. I know it's tradition for people to go nuts at Hawks games during the national anthem, but I had no idea why. I found a nice little article, a little old but still good, explaining it.

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2009...-over-cheering

Quote:
Controversy over Cheering - Is the Blackhawk fans' tradition disrespectful? by Killion on Mar 17, 2009 3:51 PM CDT

59 comments Email Print This discussion doesn't seem to be going away no matter how much I wish it would since there's a lot of hockey to talk about right now. So I thought I'd at least give people a proper place to discuss it.

The cheering during the anthem is one of the most popular traditions at Blackhawk home games. I think you'd be hard pressed to find many die-hard fans that really dislike it but they're obviously out there.

First, a bit of history:

There are a couple different "origin" stories I've heard but this one seems to be the real one. From NHL.com:

Chicago's anthem tradition began during the 1985 conference finals against Edmonton. After dropping the first two games of the series on the road, Hawks fans entered Chicago Stadium on May 9 fully energized and ready to help their team get back into the series. The crowd was so excited they cheered all the way through the National Anthem — and the tradition stuck.

You can't ever really say that what causes a team to win - but it looks like it may have actually helped the Hawks. After being spanked in the first two games of the series the Hawks came back to win the next two at home before dropping the series in the following two games. The Oilers went on to win the cup that year for the second straight time.

Obviously, the tradition is alive and well almost 25 years later but lets clear something up right from the beginning. This tradition clearly did not start as a form of patriotism. It may have evolved into that but that is not the root of the cheering.

The cheering was a way to keep the crowd into the game and get the players excited. You can cite a huge number of articles where players mention how special the anthem is in Chicago as evidence of that.

Over time, the cheering has evolved into a new way to participate in the anthem. The song is notoriously difficult to sing and makes schmucks like myself sound horrible if I attempt to join in. Standing at attention feels very passive and ends up routine and boring. The solution - I clap, whistle and yell my heart out. When I'm cheering I feel I'm part of the song rather than a simple observer of a moment.

Is it disrespectful to the song/country/flag though? According to Title 36 of the United States Code:

171. Conduct during playing

During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should render the military salute at the first note of the anthem and retain this position until the last note. When the flag is not displayed, those present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed there.

While it's worth noting that the code does not mention that the anthem is a time of somber quiet reflection, if you're clapping and cheering, your hand is not over your heart as the code says it should be. So the question becomes, how strictly should we follow this code?

Many of the things in the code are things we take as common sense. For example, the flag should never be flown upside down unless as a signal of dire distress or it should never be allowed to touch the ground.

There are many other codes I'm sure are broken consistently - "When the flag is displayed over the middle of the street, it should be suspended vertically with the union to the north in an east and west street or to the east in a north and south street" or "The flag should never be used as wearing apparel" and "The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever."

There's also the ironic code for that calls for flags no longer fit for display to be burned in a dignified manner.

So I'm guessing most people don't even know this code exists in the first place. That doesn't make it right to break it. However, you're never going to get all Americans to follow every aspect of the code so should we make exceptions?

Yes, technically the cheering during the anthem breaks the code since we do not hold our hands over our hearts. However, I don't follow the line of thinking that this inherently means cheering equals disrespect.

As I said before, cheering makes me feel like I'm part of the song in a way I never ever get at other sporting events. I don't mind if I miss the anthems at other events but if I can't be part of the anthem at the United Center I feel I've missed an important aspect of the experience. When I cheer during the anthem I have not an ounce of malice or disrespect in my mind. My thoughts are on how special the moment is and how excited I am to be participating. Shouldn't that be considered when deciding if it's disrespectful?

With that I'll open the discussion on a special note. Leave out any liberal/conservative bickering. This issue isn't about Democrats, Republicans, Independents or any other political identity. This is about a Hawks tradition.

I'm also attaching a poll to gage people's responses if you don't want to join in the discussion on what is clearly a touchy subject. I'd especially love to get non-Hawks fans opinions on this matter. How do you interpret our tradition?

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and will close comments for a "cool down" period if things get too heated - so play nice everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:47 AM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

Cheering during the anthem came before the 85 season. As a kid I remember getting goose bumps and that was well before the 85 season.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
LOTS of debate on this topic

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 10:50 AM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

At the old stadium you could not hear urself yell during the anthem as it was sooooo loud. Its still loud but nowhere near what it use to be.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 11:18 AM

Sportbike: 600rr
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: From friends

I LOVE the anthem at the UC during Hawks games. Love, love, love it. Disrespectful? I don't think so. America...F' yeah. haha.

Peter Katowicz
State Farm® - Agent
108 E Lake St. Unit 2
Bloomingdale, IL 60108
Office: (630) 980-9809
Fax: (630) 980-9858
[email protected]
www.PeterIsMyAgent.com

Benjamin Franklin - “It is a strange anomaly that men should be careful to insure their houses, their ships, and their merchandise, and yet neglect to insure their lives”.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishPete View Post
I LOVE the anthem at the UC during Hawks games. Love, love, love it. Disrespectful? I don't think so. America...F' yeah. haha.
Agreed! Every time I go to a game, I get the chills during the singing of the National Anthem. It's such a great feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 11:41 AM
The apex was where?

Sportbike: '07 GSX-R 600
Years Riding: Always learning.
How you found us: A vision.

I love it at the UC, and not I or anyone I know cheers to disrespect anything. We cheer out of respect.

Corey aka: phkz24
NESBA "I" #24
MSF Instructor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ye Ole Book of Truth
It is easier to ask for forgiveness then for permission
Godspeed Ashwin.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 11:51 AM

Sportbike: triumph speed four
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: fell asleep on my softail and woke up here

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G View Post
Cheering during the anthem came before the 85 season. As a kid I remember getting goose bumps and that was well before the 85 season.
agreed. when we used to have seasons tickets in the 80s at the 'old stadium,' it was already deafening when wayne messmer was singing the anthem. it was amazing.couldn't help but freakin cheer and yell. and sing.

that was a great place. floor littered with peanut shells and spilled stale beer, we'd buy pizza from the guy outside to bring in.

i remember watching the 91 allstar game on TV and the announcer was talking about how the fans were cheering during the anthem in support of the gulf war... but like G2G said, that was going on way before that.

visor down
nesba #608

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode