What makes a Sox fan. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

Talking What makes a Sox fan.

copied from another message board.

1) Rabid hatred of the Cubs and our belief that if you don't hate the Cubs, you can't *be* a Sox fan.

- This is one many Cubs fans simply don't understand. They feel they can be fans of both teams. They are wrong.

I personally started hating the Cubs as a child, when I would come home in the afternoon to watch cartoons and find that blithering idiot Harry Carrey on channel 9, calling yet another Cubs loser. It only got worse when Sosa chemically rebuilt himself (see #2) and made a mockery of the record books. Add to that the general smugness of Cub fans, the current racist moron of a manager, Zambrano's ass-clown antics, and the *WORST* radio color guy in history (Santo) and I won't be rooting for the Cubs anytime soon.

2) Belief that Sosa is grossly steroid inflated.

- Anyone who doesn't believe that can buy "prime Florida real estate" from me.

3) General dislike of the "mystique" surrounding Wrigley field.

- What the hell is the big deal about Wrigley? Ivy over brick walls? No. That pisses off fans from visiting cities as their teams get screwed over by the "house rules". The sightlines, bathrooms, parking, food, quality of team? Nope, because with the exception of the last one, they're all utter crap. The sad thing is that the Cubs *team* isn't bad. Get rid of a few cancers, add a few real bats, and they're pretty good. The problem is that none of their fans even realize what's going. We had Wrigley field on the south side. It was called Comiskey Park. We tore it down when it was getting too old. Move on.

4) Belief that the Sosa for Bell trade really wasn't as bad as Cubs fans want us to believe.

- Cubs fans will argue this one until the day we all die. The truth is that Sosa was a low-talent scrub and Bell was an end-of-the-line veteran. It was a junk trade that helped the Sox immediately and the Cubs down the road. How did it help immediately? It got Sosa off of our roster (clubhouse cancer even then, and could have been on of the greatest strikeout hitters of all time), and it gave us a usable bat for a year. Bell retired due to injury, Soso puffed up on steroids. Neither of those facts have any impact on the trade *AS IT HAPPENED*. I, as a diehard Sox fan, firmly believe that the trade was worth it, and in hindsight would *NOT* undo it.

5) Love of the food at Comis...The Cell.

- Even the visiting officals at the All-Star Game commented on how good it was in comparison to other parks. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

6) Belief that The Cell really *is* a better place to see a ballgame...and that it will only be better once the spectacular upgrades are complete.

- Cubs fans will never buy this one either, but that doesn't make it any less true. Excuse me for wanting decent parking, good food, no lines at the bathroom (and not standing in pools of urine when I get in there). Excuse me for liking the look of the park, the wide aisles, the waitresses on the Club level, the bars, restaurants and picnic areas *inside* the park. I must be a fool for liking all the amenities that Wrigley never had, never could and never will.

7) Belief that there is a serious media bais against the Sox in Chicago and nationally.

- Uh, duh...except for the nationally part. They just don't give a rip about the Sox.

...7 seems a good place to stop for now. Anyone else have one?

flame away trendies, i mean cubbies!

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 10:10 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

That was the weakest list to support a team I've ever read.

Reason number 1 is why nobody likes a Sox fan, you did it to yourselves
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 10:55 PM

say what you want Craze, but Im with Jim...the second i read *rabidly hate cubs fans* i realized he was talking directly to me LOLOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 11:02 PM
FASTEST AT CRA FOREVER!

Sportbike: 916 ducati, 2002 aprilia falco 1991 KZ750(the monster killer!)
Years Riding: 33
How you found us: speedzilla

Cubs Suck

But I did sit in the cell for the Sox's tuesday's loss to the Indians

The turning point for me against the cubs was the interview with the front office where they were asked if spending more money on better players would improve the club's pennant/world series hopes, and the reply was "why spend the money when we sell every seat now?"

The Cubs and their fans live on their history, the poetry and beauty of the game...

At least us Sox fans now we have a team that is first and foremost a BUSINESS.

Our loyalty was won through the team's working for it(you know little things like a real park with someplace TO park, Bathrooms you dont have to hold your breath in, food you actually want to eat, no seats you can't see the whole field from, etc. etc.)

We're fans of OUR team because of our team not because some marketing company sold us the bill of goods that "it's cool to be a fan"

Style is the excuse used by those who have neither the nerve or the intelligence to live their own lives.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 916bill
Our loyalty was won through the team's working for it(you know little things like a real park with someplace TO park, Bathrooms you dont have to hold your breath in, food you actually want to eat, no seats you can't see the whole field from, etc. etc.)

We're fans of OUR team because of our team not because some marketing company sold us the bill of goods that "it's cool to be a fan"
I could make a similiar argument on the same premise as to why you own a Ducati.

Baseball isn't just the game, it's the whole atmosphere, just because the Sox have no soul, their stadium has the worst upperdeck seating known to man (not that the Sox could ever fill it unless the Cubs are playing there) and there isn't anybody that likes the Sox except for Sox fans doesn't mean you gotta bring the Cubs down
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 916bill

At least us Sox fans now we have a team that is first and foremost a BUSINESS.
If that's the case, apparently your team didn't get the memo that if you want to run a successful business you have to get people to watch your games. It's a good thing the Sox spend more money on their players (if that's true) because that park is just packed
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 09:09 AM
Not fast but persistent!

Sportbike: 95,93 GSXR-750, '04 Volusia, A few KDX's
Years Riding: Few yrs
How you found us: search

Is there another PRO BASEBALL team in Chicago besides the WHITE SOX ?

Its not how fast you get there,But the condition you arrive.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 09:21 AM
Head Stepper

Sportbike: TREKK
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: member referal

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate
Oh My God... This thread is retarded... But for some rerason, I can't help but respond.

This is exactly what makes Sox fans ASSHOLES. I enjoy baseball. I follow and root for the Chicago Cubs. I don't hate the White Sox, although their managerial skills of late have left some things to be desired... I mean who the hell is the closer anyway? But anyway, that's off topic. I don't have the Sox, I just choose not to follow them. But it proves my point about one thing. I DESPISE SOX FANS AND ALL THEY STAND FOR!! They don't care about baseball... All they care about is giving Cubs fans shit. If there were no Cubs fans, and Wrigley field was torn down, the Sox fans would have nothing to do but ACTUALLY GO to a game!! When was the last time a Sox game was sold out (when the North Siders weren't playing there)? Nobody wants to travel down to 35th and chase the crack whores and gang bangers out of the parking lot. Admit it... The cell is not in a good neighborhood at all!! Maybe that's why nobody goes to games. Hell I don't know. All I know is that I want it to be known that I don't hate the Sox. I hate Sox fans. Especially the ones that have nothing better to do than ridicule Cubs fans and kick dirt at us. Give it up boys. You're above that.

Oh Jim, as far as your list goes... This is exactly what I'm talking about. Out of those 7 things you listed, 4 of them relate to Cubs fans! This is what I'm talking about!!!

That bet is still on though!

<-------- Jeff

Hey baby! You ever been on the back of an expensive sportbike??

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 09:26 AM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
I am a die hard cubs fan but I do have to admit that new comiskey is a nicer place to watch a game. Wrigley lost its charm for me when going to a cubs game became so trendy. I miss the days where I could take the train to and from for $3 and sit in the bleachers for $6.

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 11:15 AM
FASTEST AT CRA FOREVER!

Quote:
Originally posted by CRAZe Inc
I could make a similiar argument on the same premise as to why you own a Ducati.
Yeah lately Ducs have become a Starbucks accessory. But I've always owned Ducs since 1978 when most people had never heard of them.

Owning a Ducati is what allows me to relate to Cubs fans, as we duc fans are in the same boat...antiquated design, poor management, living in the past, overpriced, overrun with posers, "just wait till next year" we'll win WSB, MOTOGP, something...anything...Please, etc, etc,

Please I don't mean in ANY way to offend or diminish TRUE Cubs fan,(Hell I'm trying to convince my daughters to marry Cub's fans, they don't expect much and you only have to perform once every 100 years to have their undying, rabid loyalty)

Style is the excuse used by those who have neither the nerve or the intelligence to live their own lives.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 11:26 AM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

Bottom line, the only reason I need to not care for the Cubs is that they're North siders.

Go Southsiders.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 11:45 AM
No more street...

Sportbike: '99 R6
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: JimGoFast

This should best describe the quintessential Sox Fan, William Ligue:

September 19, 2002, two shirtless fans charged the field and assaulted Tom Gamboa, the first base coach for the Kansas City Royals. In what appeared to be a random act of violence, the two fans rushed Gamboa and began hitting him repeatedly.

As I sat there watching this on television, two things came to mind. First, I can think of easier ways to get tossed from a baseball stadium. Second, I'm positive I saw one of those guys on COPS last week.

I assume and somewhat hope that these men weren't sober. Actually, calling them men isn't really accurate. You see, the assailants were father and son. That's right folks, William Ligue Jr. took his kid to ballpark and subsequently on the field to beat up a first base coach. Having said that, I don't imagine Ligue will be nominated for the father of the year award in his local community any time soon. If he was looking to make the experience memorable for his son, Ligue probably should have picked up a couple of T-shirts or something. But don't worry, this father and son team didn't go away empty-handed. They each received a pair of souvenir handcuffs for their troubles.

NESBA #132
Advanced
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 11:47 AM

So it seems as though the sox fans are all about hostility. All they do is bitch about other people/fans/or parks. No wonder the team is located in a rough area.

I am happy to be part of a team that is positive and fun. I assure you that cubs fans dont sit watching a cubs game talking the whole time about how the other chicago team is pathetic at this or that. We like to enjoy ourselves and the game. Interesting list but PJ nailed it saying it was weak.

I am not blasting anyone for my opinion above just speaking my thoughts

Last edited by Hawkeye; 04-30-2004 at 11:50 AM.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 11:47 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

I consider myself a "baseball fan" not allegant to either Cubs or Sox. However, my wife is a Cubs fan so it's easier for me to dislike the Cubs. I just like to be contradictive.

shhhhhhhhhhhhh don't tell anybody.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 11:53 AM
Slowass

Re: What makes a Sox fan.

Quote:
Originally posted by JimGoFast
decent parking, good food, no lines at the bathroom (and not standing in pools of urine when I get in there).
That's because nobody's there! Sox "fans" are much more, in general, fair weather fans. All the free ticket promotions are for Sox games cuz they gotta GIVE those tix away.

And marketing? Can we say "Good guys wear black?" That says something about the strength of a fan base when they've gotta market the hell outta the park and install batting cages and a 3-ring circus to get people to come to a game. What about watching baseball? I go to a Cubs game and everybody better shut the f up during the innings cuz I'm watching each pitch...

And what's with all the hating? Geez. I'm sick of this South Side/North Side crap. I joke about it too, but seriously, who cares?
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy However, my wife is a Cubs fan so it's easier for me to dislike the Cubs.
Crazy,

As our last Prez used to say, "I feel your pain.". My wife is also a Cubs fan and from the North Side to boot. She has even infected some of my children with that sad disease. You know, the one where you no longer care if your team actually wins, only that they continue to play in an old rundown stadium with no parking in a so-called "hip" part of town. I guess I'll continue to stand by my Southsiders and force myself to park in a well lighted and protected lot and suffer through some of the best food in the city all while enjoying the spacious seating and unobstucted aisles of "The Cell". Oh well.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 12:03 PM

Re: Re: What makes a Sox fan.

Quote:
Originally posted by Slowass And what's with all the hating? Geez. I'm sick of this South Side/North Side crap. I joke about it too, but seriously, who cares?
Nobody, really.

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 12:05 PM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
Originally posted by Slowass
That's because nobody's there! Sox "fans" are much more, in general, fair weather fans. All the free ticket promotions are for Sox games cuz they gotta GIVE those tix away.

Somebody needs to go down to Wrigley and find out how many people are down there to actually "be a fan" and "watch a game". A high percentage of the so called "Cub fans" are only there for the party. or because it's trendy. So who is "fair weathered"?????

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 12:06 PM
Head Stepper

Sportbike: TREKK
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: member referal

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff with a J
This should best describe the quintessential Sox Fan, William Ligue:

September 19, 2002, two shirtless fans charged the field and assaulted Tom Gamboa, the first base coach for the Kansas City Royals. In what appeared to be a random act of violence, the two fans rushed Gamboa and began hitting him repeatedly.

As I sat there watching this on television, two things came to mind. First, I can think of easier ways to get tossed from a baseball stadium. Second, I'm positive I saw one of those guys on COPS last week.

I assume and somewhat hope that these men weren't sober. Actually, calling them men isn't really accurate. You see, the assailants were father and son. That's right folks, William Ligue Jr. took his kid to ballpark and subsequently on the field to beat up a first base coach. Having said that, I don't imagine Ligue will be nominated for the father of the year award in his local community any time soon. If he was looking to make the experience memorable for his son, Ligue probably should have picked up a couple of T-shirts or something. But don't worry, this father and son team didn't go away empty-handed. They each received a pair of souvenir handcuffs for their troubles.
I just heard on the radio... One of these guys just got arrested again last night for breaking into a car by a Harvey pizza place trying to steal the stereo. What a winner!

<-------- Jeff

Hey baby! You ever been on the back of an expensive sportbike??

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 12:09 PM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
Re: What makes a Sox fan.

Quote:
Originally posted by JimGoFast
copied from another message board.

I personally started hating the Cubs as a child, when I would come home in the afternoon to watch cartoons and find that blithering idiot Harry Carrey on channel 9, calling yet another Cubs loser.

Looks like I was not the only kid who was scarred by the letdown of no after-school cartoons.......

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 12:10 PM
No more street...

Sportbike: '99 R6
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: JimGoFast

Quote:
Originally posted by Pirate
I just heard on the radio... One of these guys just got arrested again last night for breaking into a car by a Harvey pizza place trying to steal the stereo. What a winner!
...an 8-track, no doubt

NESBA #132
Advanced
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 12:26 PM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I'm fairly new to Chicagoland, and I must say that I had no idea that this rivalry between "North" and "South" siders was so intense.

Being an impartial person here are a couple observations:

1. Sox fans spend a lot of their time talking about how much they hate the Cubs and Cubs fans. I've heard lengthy discussions between Sox fans about their shared hatred. However, I have yet to hear a Cubs fan talk for more than a minute about how he dislikes the Sox. Plus, I hear "hate" coming from Sox fans and I don't hear that from Cubs fans.

2. Most Cubs fans know their team isn't that good, and hasn't ever been that good. Sox fans are always talking about how much better their team is than others, espeically the Cubs.

It just seems to me, and I'm not a fan of either, that the Sox fans are more wrapped up in hating the Cubs than the other way around.

Come on, folks, its just baseball. Its not like this is World Cup Soccer.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chills
Come on, folks, its just baseball. Its not like this is World Cup Soccer.
You almost had me. Then I pictured a bunch of grown men running around in short pants and knee socks jumping up and down and hugging each other on the field and I knew you were just kidding.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Slowass

And marketing? Can we say "Good guys wear black?" That says something about the strength of a fan base when they've gotta market the hell outta the park and install batting cages and a 3-ring circus to get people to come to a game. What about watching baseball? I go to a Cubs game and everybody better shut the f up during the innings cuz I'm watching each pitch...

And what's with all the hating? Geez. I'm sick of this South Side/North Side crap. I joke about it too, but seriously, who cares?
First you paint yourself a Sox Hater and then you say, "What's with all the hating?". You are just helping perpetuate the hate!

I think Cubs Fans just take the negative comments more personally. I don't hate the cubfan per se, but the poor choice in baseball teams.

Last edited by mthal; 04-30-2004 at 12:43 PM.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 12:45 PM
FASTEST AT CRA FOREVER!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff with a J
...an 8-track, no doubt
In Harvey that car probably had $10,000 worth of stereo and TV screens and no two body panels the same color

post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2004, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

Quote:
Originally posted by Pirate
Oh Jim, as far as your list goes... This is exactly what I'm talking about. Out of those 7 things you listed, 4 of them relate to Cubs fans! This is what I'm talking about!!!

That bet is still on though!
Pirate, as my first line says its copied from another board, these are not my words. I posted here because i knew it would get all you trendies, i mean cubby fans nuts in a bunch.

if you really want to know what i think here it is:

1) The cubs have to have a song about winning?? why?? probably because for the last 30 years they have been few and far between. and its awful.. Go cubs go Go cubs go, cubs are gonna win today...... give me a break will ya!
2) there are only really 15-20k real baseball, cub fans at the games the rest are you guessed it trendies, want to hang in the bleachers, be a part of the atmosphere, etc, etc, and im ok with that, what im not ok with is the trendies who proclaim there loyalty to the cubs dont know shit about them, I know more about the cubs then they do (like all of my co-workers for example, shit they cant even name the starting lineup). then they speew how the cubs have and always be better then the white sox, please lets check the last 30 years sox have been better.
3) the media bias to the cubs in this city is awfull to though to be expected, one owns the team and the other wants to sell papers (trendy catches on doesnt it).

my point is if you are a REAL CUB FAN then i have no problem with you, i like the little competitive ribbing but i am a fan of baseball.
but if you are a trendy as most are, just shut the F up, dont wast my time or anyone elses with your lack of baseball knowledge.

oh and jeff with a j, what about the other incident of a person running on to the field, ya know the one who spent his whole day at wrigley getting drunk??? oh yeah lets leave him out!!

im a little upset that you pirate would say "
Quote:
I DESPISE SOX FANS AND ALL THEY STAND FOR!!
"

thats a little radical, maybe your a closet sox fan, i mean thats something we would say no????

oh yeah and i drink miller lite!!!

i think it all has something to do with me hating all things trendy, i remember going to a cubs game in the early 90s and shit i was the only one there, where was everyone then.

dont be a hater be a playa!!

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode