Wrigley Field shut down? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Wrigley Field shut down?

Have you heard the latest news? The Chicago Tribune Company has until noon on Monday to make sure all the repairs were done correctly. The City is sending Engineers on Monday to inspect all repairs to Wrigley since 2001. If they find that it's not safe they will shut down Wrigley. Geez, Mayor Daley is really going after them.

Last edited by newrider; 08-19-2004 at 11:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 11:13 PM
Yamahaulin !!

Sportbike: 2003 R6 Liquid Silver
Years Riding: 4 yrs
How you found us: on line

he's a southsider.... no love for the cubbies..

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary . . . that’s what gets you” Jeremy Clarkson
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

I want to hear him say "South Siiiiiiiiide!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 11:40 PM
a hollow voice says plugh

Sportbike: sold
Years Riding: legally- 7
How you found us: don't remember

Send a message via AIM to Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Zero
Wrigley Field = nothing special.

Tear it down and build a new state of the art stadium with one of them new-fangled parking lot things. This is 2004 afterall. Keep the original marquee, the bleachers, and the ivy... dump the rest.

I actually like the Cubs, so I'm not just bashing their supposed priceless landmark for no reason. Maybe the curse is in the bricks of the stadium itself? Therefore it must be eradicated.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 11:46 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

I wonder when the MLB HQ will step in on this. But then again Selig probably is golfing partners with Gayley.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 01:58 AM
Head Stepper

Sportbike: TREKK
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: member referal

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate
Quote:
Originally posted by zerogta
Wrigley Field = nothing special.
Are you retarded??

<-------- Jeff

Hey baby! You ever been on the back of an expensive sportbike??

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 06:55 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

Quote:
Originally posted by newrider
hell yeah!!!!!

Im going to have to agree, though wrigley feild is cool, its just a building that trendies like to congregate. build them a new one very similar to this one (pssst throw in a parking lot or 2) and they will still come!

go daley!!

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 07:36 AM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Quote:
Originally posted by JimGoFast
go daley!!

Remember he wants your guns too.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 08:16 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

Quote:
Originally posted by YZFRob
Remember he wants your guns too.
I dont live in the city Rob, besides I'd feel safer going to a cub game if I knew they didnt have guns!!!

GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally posted by Pirate
Are you retarded??
same thing i was thinking. that park rules, I really feel like I'm at a ballgame there. the new parks are nice, but they just dont have that special feeling.

Chris
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 08:32 AM
Slowass

Quote:
hell yeah!!!!!

Im going to have to agree, though wrigley feild is cool, its just a building that trendies like to congregate. go daley!!
And Comisky/The Cell is just a place where 1/2 of those in attendance got the tickets for free with a purchase of a car wash... Cuz ya know they can't SELL Sox tickets...
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 08:40 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Dont get me wrong here but when the BALL PLAYERS say what a shit hole it is obviously something is wrong! They said the same thing about the Stadium as well. (Player ammenities that is)

Yeah wrigley WAS nice and state of the art when it was built but its like an old converse gym shoe. You loved it when it was new and then after the edges frayed, sole was seperating, and the front rubber was gouged you put it in the closet. once you cleaned out the closet you hate to throw it away because of the memories but you realize its just taking up space.

Wrigley is nothing more than nastolgic......oh yeah....and ivy.

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 08:41 AM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
Quote:
Originally posted by newrider
that would be sweet.. get up on the podeum.. look at everyone and just yell out..

SOUTH SIIIIIIIIDDDDDEEE!!!!!!

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 08:41 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Quote:
Originally posted by Slowass
And Comisky/The Cell is just a place where 1/2 of those in attendance got the tickets for free with a purchase of a car wash... Cuz ya know they can't SELL Sox tickets...
Nothing like staying with topic on hand!

(moved to proper forum)

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50

Last edited by Labdog; 08-20-2004 at 08:43 AM.
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 08:43 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

Quote:
and what the heck does this have to do with my post? sox fans do NOT go and support a loser, then again neither do cub fans, but the trendies do!!!

GO Bears!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Jim; 08-20-2004 at 08:49 AM.
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 08:51 AM
Slowass

Quote:
Originally posted by Labdog
Nothing like staying with topic on hand!

(moved to proper forum)
Sorry Kel, but if you look, you'll see that he started it...He's always gotta work in some sort of hateful comment about the cubbies and north siders, even if we're just discussing the building.

So typical.

But I hear ya about the facilities...but that's what pays the bills. They'd have to come up with something ingenious that combines the old with the new, and so far, all attemps I've seen at this have failed. Hell, they marketed Comisky like this in the beginning...
post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I dont live in the city Rob, besides I'd feel safer going to a cub game if I knew they didnt have guns!!!

Are you RETARDED????? GUNS in Wrigley Field??? Was this a typo? Did you mean if there were no guns in COMISKY? I have no worries when I am in wrigley field. at comisky on the other hand I always make sure I am not wearing any gang colors before the game.

wrigley is 10 times more safe than comisky
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 09:09 AM
Make my day!!!!!

Sportbike: Looking at a shiny Huffy!
Years Riding: 20+ yrs.
How you found us: member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vcook
same thing i was thinking. that park rules, I really feel like I'm at a ballgame there. the new parks are nice, but they just dont have that special feeling.

NUFF SAID!!!!!!!

Living life! Because before you know it it is over!

Joe

FACEBOOK
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 09:18 AM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

For those that want to tear it down, one question: Have you ever been there? For one thing, you'd have a REAL tough time tearing down 3 city blocks of homes to build a parking lot. For another thing, don't you have some shred of pride that your city is home to the second oldest ballpark in the country? Nobody else can touch that - real Cubs fans and the surrounding neighborhood would never stand for a new stadium.

I for one would patch er up and let em play. There's no place like Wrigley. It's got soul.

<---- Patrick

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Underdog
For another thing, don't you have some shred of pride that your city is home to the second oldest ballpark in the country?
obviously they dont since they tore down comiskey, the oldest ballpark at the time. although it was pretty bad.

do some rehab if the park needs it, but dont tear it down. look at fenway, they made some changes to it and people like it more now than ever!

Chris
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 09:27 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

Quote:
Sorry Kel, but if you look, you'll see that he started it...He's always gotta work in some sort of hateful comment about the cubbies and north siders, even if we're just discussing the building.

So typical.

But I hear ya about the facilities...but that's what pays the bills. They'd have to come up with something ingenious that combines the old with the new, and so far, all attemps I've seen at this have failed. Hell, they marketed Comisky like this in the beginning...
obviously you do not know how to read, I said the stadium was cool, though just a replacable building. trendies are not real cub fans, no where did I say anything about cub fans. Trendy= some one who does something because others think its cool. Its like people who still spray themselves with polo cologne, they still dont get it, but think its cool!!

there is a reason the cubs havent won a series in god knows how long, its because the park keeps filling with people who could careless about the team and only want to have a good time. prove me wrong, you cant, its a fact. 15 years ago before they where trendy the stadium was just as empty as the cell. I know i was there. this is the first year Ive actually seen them try to assemble a winner at the beginning of the year

Theres no hate for cub fans, just trendies, maybe thats why you took offense to my comments

GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 09:31 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

Quote:
obviously they dont since they tore down comiskey, the oldest ballpark at the time. although it was pretty bad.

do some rehab if the park needs it, but dont tear it down. look at fenway, they made some changes to it and people like it more now than ever!

ummmm cominskey was not repairable, at least not financially a good decision, thats why it had to come down. If wrigley is fixable fix it, but do it right!!!

GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

i said it was bad, suckafoo! i know it wasnt really feasable to repair, but if they tried and succeeded it woulda been pretty cool.

Chris
post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 09:42 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

Quote:
i said it was bad, suckafoo! i know it wasnt really feasable to repair, but if they tried and succeeded it woulda been pretty cool.
Here is what i have a problem with, trying to fix old shit. when i was a kid I was at Cominskey park, a night game a part of the upper deck facia broke loose and hit the light fixture above me. It shatter the light bulb and exploded, hearing the noise, first thing you do is look up right?? well big ol chunk of rust fell into my eye and got stuck in it, scratch my retna up real good, had to wear a patch for a month or so. they covered all my medical cost and gave me tickets to another game,. But my point being sometimes you have to think of others and not $$$$.
hopefully wrigley is not that bad, just dont want to see some one get hurt because of money greed and someones grasp to hold on to the past. no whatamean??

GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

I want it to be as safe as anyone else does, I dont think we should have to compromise there. I'm just saying that if it's possible to fix it right and preserve some piece of chicago baseball history then all efforts should be made to do so.

sorry about your eye, little jimmy!

Chris
post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 09:49 AM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

"just trendies, maybe thats why you took offense to my comments"

(busted)

I'll be the first to admit that baseball bores me to tears. Can't watch it on TV, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't name more than 10 current players to save my life. HOWEVER - I love going to Cubs games.

When I'm there, I have a great time, and actually watch the game. I get caught up in the highs and lows, I cheer for the hometeam, and I sing the 7th inning stretch song. I'm not a baseball fan, but I am a Cubs fan. It's a great part of Chicago. If you lived 4 blocks away from a professional baseball stadium you'd probably go to the games to?

Call me a poser or whatever you'd like to. Personally, I'd rather go to a game with a stadium full of people that are out for a good time than a crowd of people listening to the game on their headsets and concentrating on their scorecards.

...but that's just me. I'm trendy like that.

edit: I do admit that I'm not a baseball fan though. I don't walk around in a Cubs jersey, and I don't defend them to the death or enter into Cubs/Sox debates. So I'm not "that" guy. I'm the guy drinking in the bleachers hitting on your girlfriend enjoying the sunshine.

<---- Patrick

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Last edited by Underdog; 08-20-2004 at 10:01 AM.
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

Quote:
Originally posted by Underdog
"just trendies, maybe thats why you took offense to my comments"

(busted)

I'll be the first to admit that baseball bores me to tears. Can't watch it on TV, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't name more than 10 current players to save my life. HOWEVER - I love going to Cubs games.

When I'm there, I have a great time, and actually watch the game. I get caught up in the highs and lows, I cheer for the hometeam, and I sing the 7th inning stretch song. I'm not a baseball fan, but I am a Cubs fan. It's a great part of Chicago. If you lived 4 blocks away from a professional baseball stadium you'd probably go to the games to?

Call me a poser or whatever you'd like to. Personally, I'd rather go to a game with a stadium full of people that are out for a good time than a crowd of people listening to the game on their headsets and concentrating on their scorecards.

...but that's just me. I'm trendy like that.

NO im talking about the 3 girls rooting for the cubs at the cell and when konerko hits a homerun they all stand up and start cheering for him, then realize it was the sox.im talking about the people who are not there for the game but there to be in!!!! im tired of explaning this really. I am a sports fan, i root for the cubs to do good, though they never will with sosa on the team or baker at the helm. Im sure I know more about the cubs than most people who claim to be a cubs fan, but that gets missed when i say im a sox fan.

GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 10:03 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

oh and while we are on the subject, my ass sammy called and said move me down coach!!! hahahahahahahaha, this coming from the guy who says " just show me the love" paaaaleeease!!

2 spinless guys. if you ask me jim henry told them both he was going to bat 5th and gave them that as an out!!! hahahahahahaha

GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
oh and while we are on the subject, my ass sammy called and said move me down coach!!! hahahahahahahaha, this coming from the guy who says " just show me the love" paaaaleeease!!

2 spinless guys. if you ask me jim henry told them both he was going to bat 5th and gave them that as an out!!! hahahahahahaha

hahahahhaha! ok, this i can agree with. If he wanted to help the team he'd move to 8th or DH.

Chris
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 10:29 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

Quote:
or DH.

SORRY the American league does not want him back!!

GO Bears!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode