Go Heels! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Giddy Up

Sportbike: 2002 ZX7R
Years Riding: 8 Years
How you found us: google

Go Heels!

Some pretty fantastic games this tourney especially with all of the level talent at colleges these days but when it came down to it...the best team won

Hans "Class of '94 (UNC)"

***Hans***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 10:52 AM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo
Some pretty fantastic games this tourney especially with all of the level talent at colleges these days but when it came down to it...the best team won

Hans "Class of '94 (UNC)"
they're a great team, but the officiating left something to be desired. apparently may can just put his shoulder down and push into the lane, evertime. Meanwhile garbage fouls get called on ILL. oh well, pretty good game. UNC really shut down the ILL passing lanes with their zone defense, but they couldnt gaurd for shit man to man.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Giddy Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook
they're a great team, but the officiating left something to be desired. apparently may can just put his shoulder down and push into the lane, evertime. Meanwhile garbage fouls get called on ILL. oh well, pretty good game. UNC really shut down the ILL passing lanes with their zone defense, but they couldnt gaurd for shit man to man.
I was actually happy to see IL and UNC in the championship (as most people were hoping). And yes, my allegiances were torn and I even came to respect the Illini squad a little more as the season went on. I don't think they deserved an undefeated season nor the championship. They didn't play a lot of tough teams in their season and the tourney proved that. However, that Arizona game was one of the most unbelievable games I've ever seen. As far as the officiating/environment, I thought it was fair overall considering they were in the backyard of Illinois. Each team caught a couple of breaks and the officials let them pretty much play up until the end.

***Hans***
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

you're kidding yourself! Powell was repeated manhandled with no calls, then you had May barreling in the lane and that goofy guy augustine is the one that fouls out?!!? Aweful, its like the officials just wanted Roy to finally get a championship. You can make a case for them not calling the moving screens on IL but that is very common and the announcer made a much larger deal out of it than it was. Jesus, those announcers are just the fucking worst. I was ready to kill myself.

decent game though. Its a tournament, and that is why it is exciting, but in a 5 game series I think we'd see a different outcome. IL plays more as a team, UNC looks more like several athletes on the court.

In the end some clutch shots or some different officiating calls could have easily changed the outcome. I think that if UNC had stuck with their zone defense the whole game IL probably woulnt have come back from that 15 point deficit nearly as fast, and that momentum really got them back in the game. UNC was routinely pushing them back to half court and shutting down their passing game with the zone, they should rode that horse all day.

Chris
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 11:46 AM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

There was a great article in SI the other day about watching the beauty of Illini passing sequences. I was disappointed to see that shut down. We also could NOT hit the threes, which has been our impressive skill all season. We did that in the AZ game as well. Frankly I thought given our season it really was a shame that we lost. As far as who deserved to win-- well, grown men shouldn't wear powder blue, that's all I have to say about that.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 12:00 PM

I don't care what the scoreboard said at the end of the game, Illinois is the better team.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 12:33 PM

Sportbike: None for now
Years Riding: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthal
I don't care what the scoreboard said at the end of the game, Illinois is the better team.
That's exactly how this one will be remembered. I was there, and I've never seen even close to that kind of Illini pride. The entire dome was shouting ILL-INI all night, except for a little section of that gay powder blue. And the campus is still orange today - can't wait to see us honor our players later today.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Giddy Up

[QUOTE=Vcook]

In the end some clutch shots or some different officiating calls could have easily changed the outcome. QUOTE]

...and we could also rewrite every great athletic moment in history if this were always the case

***Hans***
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Giddy Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill_ag
There was a great article in SI the other day about watching the beauty of Illini passing sequences. I was disappointed to see that shut down. We also could NOT hit the threes, which has been our impressive skill all season. We did that in the AZ game as well. Frankly I thought given our season it really was a shame that we lost. As far as who deserved to win-- well, grown men shouldn't wear powder blue, that's all I have to say about that.
We call that carolina blue or baby blue

***Hans***
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
really? i've always called it "tarheel blue".

Chris
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 01:07 PM
BH

Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?

Send a message via Yahoo to BH
Illinois got exposed for what they really are, a bunch of streaky shooters with a weak inside game. If they were the better team, they would have won.

also, Roy Williams looks like Huckleberry Hound.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redduck21
well I can't disagree with this!!!

Chris
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Illinois got exposed for what they really are, a bunch of streaky shooters with a weak inside game. If they were the better team, they would have won.

Streaky shooters? Funny how that "streak" lasted an entire season with this being only the second loss. You don't get that kind of a record w/ streaky shooters.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 01:45 PM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

Quote:
fine, baby blue it is. it's still prissy. even MJ looked a little light in the air jordans walking in wearing an entirely baby blue jumpsuit.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Giddy Up

Quote:
really? i've always called it "tarheel blue".
You can only call it Tarheel blue if you've been there

***Hans***
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Giddy Up

Quote:
You've got a point there

***Hans***
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 02:57 PM
BH

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoezx6r
Streaky shooters? Funny how that "streak" lasted an entire season with this being only the second loss. You don't get that kind of a record w/ streaky shooters.
27 for 70 from the field, 12 for 40 from 3?
if they're good shooters how come they didn't show it in the biggest game of the year? UNC played zone. you can't play zone against a team that can shoot.

if they were an ACC team, do you think they would have had only one loss going into the tourney?
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 06:13 PM

There's no debating they had a bad game, especially the first half. But c'mon, they were a damn good team that won quite a few difficult games. And more than anything, they were a fun team to watch and really brought alot of fans to the sport.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 08:57 AM
BH

they were definitely a good team, and you're right, they won quite a few tough games. Given that, I feel that they played in a relatively weak conference, and their win streak/record had a lot of fans thinking they were a lot better than they really were. Take any of the top ACC teams, or a handful of big 12 teams, and put then in the big ten this year in place of Illinois, and I bet the records would have been about the same.

and I'll probably get flamed for this, but I think Deron Williams will be a flop in the NBA. I wish I could put money on this somehow. I've heard comparisons to J Kidd and M Bibby. I just don't see it. too slow to play the 1, too short to play the 2, not that athletic, handle is suspect at times. jumper is suspect. and I don't think he'll be able to create his own shot in the NBA, unless he's playing against a shorter point that he can post up. the only way I see him making it is if he busts his ass to be a 5-10 min/game role player.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
and I'll probably get flamed for this, but I think Deron Williams will be a flop in the NBA. I wish I could put money on this somehow. I've heard comparisons to J Kidd and M Bibby. I just don't see it. too slow to play the 1, too short to play the 2, not that athletic, handle is suspect at times. jumper is suspect. and I don't think he'll be able to create his own shot in the NBA, unless he's playing against a shorter point that he can post up. the only way I see him making it is if he busts his ass to be a 5-10 min/game role player.
its an interesting take. I dont think he should come out now, he should play his senior year and work on his speed. he is already fast, but if he can get some more speed with his size he'd be an awesome 1. the tendancy of the illini to kick to the outside doesnt give him enough chance to work on his paint game, where I think he could use some development. At least he hustles back on defense, Sean May better drop more weight or start training because NBA guys would run circles around his ass.

Chris
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 09:19 AM
BH

Quote:
its an interesting take. I dont think he should come out now, he should play his senior year and work on his speed. he is already fast, but if he can get some more speed with his size he'd be an awesome 1. the tendancy of the illini to kick to the outside doesnt give him enough chance to work on his paint game, where I think he could use some development. At least he hustles back on defense, Sean May better drop more weight or start training because NBA guys would run circles around his ass.
I think Williams would be better off staying another year, definitely. He's improved a lot every year at Illinois, and would probably come back even better next year. I thought he was HORRIBLE his freshman year, and now he's definitely a solid player. but if he's going to get picked in the lottery, I'd go too.
I'm kinda mixed on May, some games he looks slow and fat, some games like against Wis. he looks awesome. Best case for him he turns out to be a poor man's Tim Duncan.
worst case: Oliver Miller.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 09:51 AM
G2G

Quote:
27 for 70 from the field, 12 for 40 from 3?
if they're good shooters how come they didn't show it in the biggest game of the year? UNC played zone. you can't play zone against a team that can shoot.
I don't know about this one. I think if UNC played zone the whole game the Illini would be in a world of hurt. UNC shut them down every time they played zone. Also the Illini could not even get a decent shot if at all when UNC was in a zone defense.

There was some bad calls on fouls esp. the touch fouls. May had a free pass to do what ever he wanted. I knew if UNC just kept it in the paint they would win it was just a matter of time. IL is just so weak underneath. Sooner or later the 3 pointers would get Illini in trouble. But like they say you live by the sword you die by the sword. I wish Illini would have won but I don't think everyone is going to stay for next year so we might have to wait another century.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode