Kyle Orton and Other Bears News - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Kyle Orton and Other Bears News

Tribune reported last night that Kyle Orton took 35-40% of the snaps with the first team. While it is not unusual for a backup to get that many reps, it is more than he has been getting in previous practices. This signals that the Bears trust in Hutchinson is on the decline and they want to evaluate Orton as much as possible. The likely scenario is that Hutch will get at least 3 regular season games as the starter, but if he struggles and the Bears lose then most likely Orton will get the starting job. There is already talk around Halas hall that Orton will be challenging Grossman for the starting job next year.

The Bears also waived Bobby Gray today and signed undrafted free agent Marvin Ward. Gray was having a terrible preseason before blowing out his ACL against the Colts last week. Rumor has it that the Bears are going to resign Gray and put him on IR if he clears waivers. Ward was waived by the Buffalo Bills.

Still no signing of first-round pick Cedric Benson. It's likely that he will not sign until the week before the regular season starts. Fortunately, other top flight running backs that have held out their entire rookie training camps and gone on to first year success include Edgerin James and Ladanian Tomlinson. If Benson can sign before the start of the season and get up to speed quickly, he can still be a productive contributor on offense this season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Damn I love this time of year. the excitment is in the air.

on another note. all it takes to challange rex for a starting position is to be able to walk.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Puppy Love!

Sportbike: 05' Gixxer 6
Years Riding: Grew up in the dirt, going on my 7th season on the street..
How you found us: Homer Simpson

Send a message via AIM to Gixx Send a message via Yahoo to Gixx
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
Tribune reported last night that Kyle Orton took 35-40% of the snaps with the first team. While it is not unusual for a backup to get that many reps, it is more than he has been getting in previous practices. This signals that the Bears trust in Hutchinson is on the decline and they want to evaluate Orton as much as possible. The likely scenario is that Hutch will get at least 3 regular season games as the starter, but if he struggles and the Bears lose then most likely Orton will get the starting job. There is already talk around Halas hall that Orton will be challenging Grossman for the starting job next year.

The Bears also waived Bobby Gray today and signed undrafted free agent Marvin Ward. Gray was having a terrible preseason before blowing out his ACL against the Colts last week. Rumor has it that the Bears are going to resign Gray and put him on IR if he clears waivers. Ward was waived by the Buffalo Bills.

Still no signing of first-round pick Cedric Benson. It's likely that he will not sign until the week before the regular season starts. Fortunately, other top flight running backs that have held out their entire rookie training camps and gone on to first year success include Edgerin James and Ladanian Tomlinson. If Benson can sign before the start of the season and get up to speed quickly, he can still be a productive contributor on offense this season.
I really think Orton is going to be something great!! I have said this since day one when I went to training camp!!

You think if I throw on my Benson jersey and drive to his house in just the Benson jersey and beg him to sign, he'll sign ?!?!?!?!

KJ

Quote:
I'm here to chew some bubble gum, and kick some ass.......and I'm all out of bubblegum!!
MySpace
XBox Live - Gixx009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 12:07 PM
BH

Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?

Send a message via Yahoo to BH
I'll believe when I see it with Orton. Don't get me wrong, I hope he does well, I just have a feeling it will take him a little while to adjust to the pro game as it does most QBs. At purdue, he took a lot of snaps from the shotgun, and frequently had 4 or 5 receivers plus a RB to throw to. And another key, he had a pretty good line in college.
He's not overly athletic, he fumbles a lot when he does get hit, and his arm isn't terribly strong or accurate. I never thought he was near as good as Drew Brees in the same system. It took Brees a couple of years to adjust. I wouldn't be suprised to see a similar lackluster start from Orton, but I'll GLADLY eat my words if I'm wrong.

the thing that really pisses me off: the bears could have drated Leftwich a few years ago, and we wouldn't even be talking about who's going to start at QB. we'd be asking, is our QB going to be a pro-bowler this year?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redduck21

and we wouldn't even be talking about who's going to start at QB. we'd be asking, is our QB going to be a pro-bowler this year?
*** disclaimer ***
The above reflects a fictional statement and depicts a line of thinking and speach that will never be heard in Chicago

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 12:17 PM
VTwin FTW!

Sportbike: 2013 Ducati Diavel Cromo
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerChicKJ
You think if I throw on my Benson jersey and drive to his house in just the Benson jersey and beg him to sign, he'll sign ?!?!?!?!
You actually bought a Benson jersey already? If you came over to my house like that, I'd sign where ever you wanted me to sign. Just don't tell my wife.

On a serious note, I can't believe that Benson still isn't in camp. He's f*cking everything up. With Grossman going down, we really need him. IMO Thomas Jones is just OK. I would like to see what Orton can do. We already have seen the Chad Hutchinson movie, and it was BAD. What do we have to lose.

I can't wait for some FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

"Life is all about ass ... either you are covering it, kicking it, kissing it, sitting on it or trying to get it."
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 12:21 PM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
Kurt Kittner

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 12:39 PM
Puppy Love!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFactory
You actually bought a Benson jersey already? If you came over to my house like that, I'd sign where ever you wanted me to sign. Just don't tell my wife.

On a serious note, I can't believe that Benson still isn't in camp. He's f*cking everything up. With Grossman going down, we really need him. IMO Thomas Jones is just OK. I would like to see what Orton can do. We already have seen the Chad Hutchinson movie, and it was BAD. What do we have to lose.

I can't wait for some FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep I have my Benson jersey ready to go!!! He is starting to piss me off a little bit...His head is getting a little big if you ask me, but I'm sure that my feelings will change when him and Jones are out there tearing it up!!!!

oh yea and I CAN'T STAND Kittner !!!!!

KJ

Quote:
I'm here to chew some bubble gum, and kick some ass.......and I'm all out of bubblegum!!
MySpace
XBox Live - Gixx009
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 12:45 PM
VTwin FTW!

What # is he?

Mike

"Life is all about ass ... either you are covering it, kicking it, kissing it, sitting on it or trying to get it."
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 12:47 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

i was under the impresion that orton took snaps with the second string offense against the first team defense yesterday? he didnt actaully work with the first string offense, at least what i heard from zac in the back on the score. did the paper say he actually worked with the first string offense?

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 12:47 PM
Puppy Love!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFactory
What # is he?
Who Benson??? 32

KJ

Quote:
MySpace
XBox Live - Gixx009

Last edited by Gixx; 08-24-2005 at 06:39 PM.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 12:50 PM
Joe Momma...

Quote:
oh yea and I CAN'T STAND Kittner !!!!!
oh come on What's wrong with Kittner???

Quote:
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 12:56 PM
VTwin FTW!

Quote:
Who Benson??? ahhh 32

WTF?!?
Yes, I meant Benson. He hasn't been in uniform so I didn't know. I didn't look at the roster or see the draft either. So he's #32 then. Thanks.

Great, that's the same # as OJ. Let's hope he could run and cut like him.

Mike

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Tribune reported that Orton tooks snaps with the first team offense. It really isn't that unusual though since most backups get some reps with the first team offense.

Orton is physically better suited to play QB than any other player we have on the roster. He has the strongest arm, the best height and his body shape is quickly improving (he still has some baby fat left to burn though). His mechanics, ability to read the defense and mental decisions are all still at a rookie level though. You might say he has the most potential on the team.

Kittner is not a good QB. He lacks many things to play QB at the pro level. Sorry, but he is not going to make the active roster.

Benson is just getting bad advice. He wants more guaranteed money because he is being told that running backs in the NFL get injured a lot. It's not uncommon for their rookie contract to be the only contract they sign. He should sign in the week before the season opener. Probably by Sept 4th. I'm still confident that he can make a solid contribution this year, but unless the passing game proves effective, he will be facing 8 man fronts and not have a good season regardless.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 02:13 PM
Joe Momma...

Quote:
Kittner is not a good QB. He lacks many things to play QB at the pro level. Sorry, but he is not going to make the active roster.

Quote:
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 02:21 PM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redduck21
I'll believe when I see it with Orton. Don't get me wrong, I hope he does well, I just have a feeling it will take him a little while to adjust to the pro game as it does most QBs. At purdue, he took a lot of snaps from the shotgun, and frequently had 4 or 5 receivers plus a RB to throw to. And another key, he had a pretty good line in college.
He's not overly athletic, he fumbles a lot when he does get hit, and his arm isn't terribly strong or accurate. I never thought he was near as good as Drew Brees in the same system. It took Brees a couple of years to adjust. I wouldn't be suprised to see a similar lackluster start from Orton, but I'll GLADLY eat my words if I'm wrong.

the thing that really pisses me off: the bears could have drated Leftwich a few years ago, and we wouldn't even be talking about who's going to start at QB. we'd be asking, is our QB going to be a pro-bowler this year?
I agree, I don't think that Orton will be given the time he needs to develop in chicago. If Orton is given the start and he isn't immediatly sucessful or at least moderatly sucessful, the media will tear him apart. This is a town that you need the support of both the Front office of the team and the media, because by and large if the media says it the fans follow. The bears don't use the Shotgun offense, our offensive line is questionable, and we always have a tightend. We can't use the screen pass, and by and large we are built as a clock controlling running team. Let the defense win football games, and the offense just keep said defense fresh and off the field for as much time as possible. The problem is in order to do that we need a guy like Cedric Benson. Kyle Orton will not suceed in chicago, and I would LOVE to eat my words.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
I agree, I don't think that Orton will be given the time he needs to develop in chicago. If Orton is given the start and he isn't immediatly sucessful or at least moderatly sucessful, the media will tear him apart. This is a town that you need the support of both the Front office of the team and the media, because by and large if the media says it the fans follow. The bears don't use the Shotgun offense, our offensive line is questionable, and we always have a tightend. We can't use the screen pass, and by and large we are built as a clock controlling running team. Let the defense win football games, and the offense just keep said defense fresh and off the field for as much time as possible. The problem is in order to do that we need a guy like Cedric Benson. Kyle Orton will not suceed in chicago, and I would LOVE to eat my words.
I think the Bears are going to surprise you. Most of the things you said would have been true the last several years in Chicago, but Ron Turner has a much different offense than Crowton, Shoop or Shea. The Bears have already been running the Shotgun formation in preseason. We have also used several screen passes already, but we don't seem very good at it yet so I don't expect to see it much in regular season action.

I think Orton has the best arm strength on the team right now. I watched him in camp and he was throwing the tightest spirals and hitting receivers on fly patterns deep downfield. If he's forced to play this year, he will have a lot of interceptions because he is still a rookie and doesn't recognize the defenses yet, but I doubt the media or the fans would tear him apart. If he does any better than Hutch/Quinn/Krenzel did from last year, fans will start clamoring now for him to start over Grossman.

In hindsight, Leftwich would have been the better choice over Grossman+Haynes. The funny thing is that Leftwich was supposed to be the injury prone QB and it's likely that plus Angelo's desire to not draft in the top 5 is what landed us Grossman.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 06:07 PM
BH

Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?

Send a message via Yahoo to BH
Quote:
In hindsight, Leftwich would have been the better choice over Grossman+Haynes. The funny thing is that Leftwich was supposed to be the injury prone QB and it's likely that plus Angelo's desire to not draft in the top 5 is what landed us Grossman.

kinda ironic, avoid the injury prone QB and pick Rex!
Leftwich had a broken foot or leg (can't remember), but he was playing on it! maybe the bears don't take a players heart into account during evals. Remember the Marshall game when his lineman had to carry him to the line of scrimmage after he completed deep pass after deep pass?
no, i'm not bitter

honestly though, being a NFL GM or scout has to be amazingly difficult. I thought Rick Meyer was pretty damn good coming out of ND. then again, I probably could have told you that Kordell was going to suck.

at least the defense will be fun to watch
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Don't feel bad about Rick Mirer. I thought McClown was going to be a probowler.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 09:14 AM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Don't feel bad about Rick Mirer. I thought McClown was going to be a probowler.
I thought the same thing about PT Willis

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode