Benson Signs, Orton Starts - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Benson Signs, Orton Starts

Big news in Bearland today. First round pick and training camp holdout Cedric Benson agreed to a 5 year deal today. It's not likely he will see more than a series or two late in the last preseason game, but at least he will have some time to learn the offense before the season starts. He will most likely start off as third on the depth chart behind T. Jones and A. Peterson but look for him to be the starter sometime around week 5 or 6.

Rookie QB Kyle Orton has been promoted to first string and worked with the #1 offense the whole day. JoJo will be happy to hear that right now the depth chart at QB goes, Orton, Blake, Kittner. This means its likely that Hutchinson will be cut and Kittner will make the active roster this year. Orton looked sharp in practice today against the first string defense completeing passes in traffic to Moose, Bradley, Gage and Wade. The offense as a whole seems to be excited about Orton's potential.

If Benson and Orton live up to potential and play well this year, the defense is good enough that the playoffs are not out of reach for the Bears this year. Lovie Smith came into Chicago with three goals: 1. Beat Green Bay 2. Win the division 3. Win the Superbowl. Lovie beat Green Bay last year and look for the Bears to make a serious push to complete goal two this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 08:48 AM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

mmmmmmmm-Orton

I really have a good feeling about him even though hes green.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 08:50 AM
Puppy Love!

Sportbike: 05' Gixxer 6
Years Riding: Grew up in the dirt, going on my 7th season on the street..
How you found us: Homer Simpson

Send a message via AIM to Gixx Send a message via Yahoo to Gixx
WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!! It's about time Benson signed, and Orton is going to ROCK this year!! I was all kinds of excited when I saw this yesterday!

KJ

Quote:
I'm here to chew some bubble gum, and kick some ass.......and I'm all out of bubblegum!!
MySpace
XBox Live - Gixx009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 11:25 AM
Grammaton Cleric

Sportbike: 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
Years Riding: Since 07-01-2001
How you found us: Google, I believe

Send a message via AIM to MrBusa Send a message via Yahoo to MrBusa
I really hope that Orton pans out, because NFL history does not favor rookie starting quarterbacks.

Also, my guess is that if Orton does well and the Bears go over .500, which I think they can do, my prediction is that Grossman will be released on 2006. He is the Bears' version of Nomar Garciaparra.

-- Matthew --

"I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in the Universe" - Jango Fett
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 11:29 AM

I read that last night, fantastic news. I was pumped when I heard they had Hutch competing for third string, that's where his skill level is!! Orton looked great again on Friday, I think you're right about Benson, but I bet he'll basically be sharing time with Thomas Jones come week 6, maybe be the sole back by like week 12 based on performance. Still, Jones is going to get some play, maybe in Pro formation -- which I don't even know if Turner has incorporated in the Offense, but with the Bears backs it may be the case.

Really excited about the season, the offense is probably going to struggle still, but the D is going to be even better than last year with everyone healthy. (No hamstring injuries!) Let's just hope Orton can have at least half the success Big Ben had in Pitt last year and the Bears will have 6-10 wins (defense has to stay healthy too.)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
OH YEAH!! Knowing the Bears he'll be starting by week 5.

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Wow I just got chills, of course that could be the 56 degree temp inthis damn com site. but all I can say is I am getting excited about this season

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

"Conventional" wisdom would say that once Benson is comfortable in the offense and knows the protection schemes he will get the majority of carries in Ron Turner's offense. Benson will be the pounder and the short yardage back while Jones will see action on second and third downs as a change of pace back and to keep Benson fresh. The theory is that with two punishing backs you can wear down a defense and then break big plays late in the game or open up single coverage down the field. Turner will probably want to run the ball between 30 and 40 times a game so there is enough work for two running backs.

There is already a lot of negative press on Orton because he is a rookie and comes from a "gimmick" offense at Purdue that operated mostly out of the shotgun. However, Orton does not need to be great for the Bears to win. All he needs to effective in the Bears offense is to take care of the football and find the single coverage down the field on passing plays. Most often rookie quarterbacks are high draft picks on bad teams and they are asked to do too much and that leads to their early struggles. Although the Bears were the worst offense in the league last year, they have reloaded with lots of new talent and a very successfull offensive coordinator. I think there is good reason to be optimistic about Orton's chances for a winning season in his rookie year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode