Bears vs. Redskins Recap - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Bears vs. Redskins Recap

I just got back from Vegas and a heavy weekend of NFL football. Here's the recap of the Bears game.

Bears lose 9-7 against the Redskins. The offense looked mediocre against a very stout defense. Both Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson failed to take control of the game by being able to get solid yardage on first and second down. The Bears threw the ball much more than expected with 28 pass attempts versus only 18 rushing attempts. Orton turned the ball over twice with a fumble and an interception. Both turnovers came at bad times with the interception stopping a good drive into Redskin territory and the fumble ending the game. However, overall I think Orton looked fairly good for a rookie QB in his first game. The bigger concern is the inability to run the ball.

On defense the Bears were a bit of Jekyl and Hyde. They kept the skins out of the endzone while recorded 3 sacks and 1 interception. However, they continued to give up the big plays that resulted in the three redskin fieldgoals. They were burned mostly on play action and on draw plays up the gut. If the Bears are unable to hold the center of the line then teams will continue to attack us up the middle and negate the great team speed of the Bears defense. The secondary looked solid all day giving up only two big pass plays, both of which could have been attributed to the pass rush not doing its job.

Look for the Bears to improve as the season progresses. They are a very young team that is developing talent on offense this year. They should match up much better against Detroit next week.

Luckily for this reporter, the Bears were getting 5 points in the contest and even though they lost the game they made me money!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I was fairly impressed this weekend. I was happy to see passing, after all the juron years of "lets see if we can fool them by running it up the middle" it was a nice refreshing change. game was not with out its flaws but i do see a lot of potential in this new team.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 12:13 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

As always, a good recap, and good insights....Thanks!

I missed the game due to work, and all anyone could tell me is that they "choked"........

I thought in the back of my mind though, it doesnt sound so bad considering it was a rookie QB's first start.......

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 12:31 PM
BH

Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?

Send a message via Yahoo to BH
I thought Orton did a pretty good job too. I thought he threw the ball great on the short routes. Hit the receivers in stride, and in the hands a majority of the time. He seemed to force a few deep throws though. And I was a little concerned with the number of times he threw to Muhommed sp? Almost like he was throwing to the #1 read every time whether he was open or not. I'm sure he'll get better at progressing thru his reads as he gets more comfortable in the pocket. and hopefully he learns to hang onto the damn ball! that one time he just dropped it as he started to run.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Ya I'm really looking forward to what he can do with some experience. Now that he's got his first game out of the way it should help. Plus having the fans at home cheering should be some motivation.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 03:15 PM

My boss is a huge packer fan up here...she even said that good things will come from Orton. He didn't have the deer in the headlights look about him, like Hutch.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

There's lots of people in the sporting press who share our positivity on Kyle Orton. He's a rookie and he is going to make mistakes like forcing balls into coverage and not protecting the football when feeling the pressure. However, as long as he can make the throws and feel comfortable in the pocket then he has a good chance of developing into a solid starting QB. I think he was "mostly" comfortable in the pocket and showed that he has the arm of a starter. There's a good chance that Rex Grossman will be riding the pine for a long time if Orton gets into a rythm this year.

The defense is a serious question mark though. Tommie Harris stepped up after the game and admitted he was badly humbled so at least he knows he has to play the run better. The big weakness was the inability of the front four to stop the run in the middle of the line. That is a freaking huge weakness to have in the NFL so they better get it straightened out quick. Kevin Jones comes to town next week and although he runs behind a weaker interior o-line, he is just as explosive as Clinton Portis. If the Bears do not contain him and stuff him at the line, we will have a tough day against the Lions.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 04:30 PM

Yeah, Kevin Jones is also a very solid back but any time you are facing Clinton Portis you are facing arguably the 2nd best back in the NFL (Gotta give #1 to Tomlinson) -- the fact that they held him to what 121 yards, is really not that bad. They had to let Washington get yards somewhere, and although they have 200+ passing they let it remain fairly ineffective. If anything right now the fact that Ramsey and Brunell were tossing it around the field half way decently worries me more than giving Portis 121 yards.

Just my opinion, I think their D looks solid. Orton made a few rookie mistakes but you can't get mad at him for those (except that INT over the middle, that was upsetting, but a rookie mistake). Once Benson steps up his pass protection in the pocket he'll be running more plays and hopefully step up to prior Chicago Bear #4 overall draft picks (gotta hope )

Anyways, upsetting to lose to 3 FG's and 0 TD's, especially when we had the opprotunity to boot in a FG at a few points and then ruined those opprotunities. Hopefully next week brings good tides.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode