Bears vs. Lions Recap - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Bears vs. Lions Recap

Bears faithfull were rewarded with a near perfect blow out of the Detroit Lions by a score of 38-6. Some highlights include:

2 rushing touchdowns by Thomas Jones. 1 receiving TD by Moose. 1 defensive score by Mike Brown. 1 punt return for a TD by Bobby Wade. Talk about getting everyone involved in scoring!

On Offense:
Kyle Orton managed a great game all four quarters and ended with 150 yards passing on 14/21 attempts with one TD and 0 interceptions. He looked calm and made good reads the whole game. This kid is looking really promising. He hit seven different receivers in the game but was looking for Moose most of the time. Moose's TD catch was a great throw and a tremendous catch as he got pummeled by Kenoy Kennedy on a hit that was helmet to helmet and likely will earn Kennedy a fine.

Thomas Jones ran the ball effectively behind an offensive line that was playing with something to prove. He ended with 139 yards on 20 attempts. Cedric Benson added 49 yards on 16 attempts with most of those coming in the second half when the Lions were stacked on the line against the run. The offensive line did an outstanding job opening holes against what is supposed to be a very good Lion defensive line.

On Defense:
This is how the Bears are supposed to look on defense. They held Kevin Jones to 22 yards on 8 attempts and picked Joey Harrington off five times. They had pressure on Harrington the whole game with LB and DB blitzes that were rarely picked up by the Lions. Urlacher had two sacks and seven tackles. Mike Brown extended his Bear record by scoring yet again on an interception return of 41 yards to put the game out of reach just before halftime. Overall the Bear defense looked ready for primetime and after two games have given up a total of 15 points.

On Special Teams:
Bobby Wade's 73 yard punt return for a TD came at a key time in the second quarter and sparked the rout that followed. It's doubtfull he will be left inactive again like he was against the Redskins. Doug Brien had an off day and was the only spot of concern for the Bears as he went 1/3 on FG attempts. He connected on the first one from 48 yards to put the Bears up 10-6 but missed his next two attempts from 48 and 36 yards. His kickoffs looked better as Detroit was fielding the ball around their 5 yard line most of the game.

Conclusion:
The Bears dismantled a very bad Detroit team. The whole NFC North is bad and because of that there's a good chance the Bears will make the playoffs. While this was a great game do not fool yourself into thinking the Bears are superbowl ready. The Bears will face their toughest test on defense next week when the Cincinnati Bengals come to town with their high flying offense. It will be interesting to see which is for real: a Bengal offense that scored 64 points against the Browns and the Vikings or a Bear defense that has allowed only 15 to the Redskins and the Lions. I think it will be a close game with the Bears edging the Bengals by a score of 16 to 14. Doug Brien rebounds from a bad week to win the game next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 10:32 AM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Yeah they looked good, and ortons performance was promising.

As far as the defensive line goes though, there were alot of plays that had zero penetration, and no QB pressure, with lots of time for Herrington.

I think its great that the scoring was spread accross the team, but I also think that a better team would have made them pay for the poor performance of the defensive line regarding pass pressure.

Otherwise great game, and as you say the proof is in the pudding when they face the Bengals next week.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 10:35 AM
Puppy Love!

Sportbike: 05' Gixxer 6
Years Riding: Grew up in the dirt, going on my 7th season on the street..
How you found us: Homer Simpson

Send a message via AIM to Gixx Send a message via Yahoo to Gixx
What a game yesterday!! The Bears haven't had a win this big since 1987!!

I was so impressed with Orton, Vasher, M. Brown, Moose, Jones, Peanut, jeezz I was impressed with all of them! Brown is a freakin beast!!! Their were a few times where the Lions looked like they were running into a stone wall (Pollard) Brown didn't even have to tackle them, and it didn't even phase Brown and Pollard was out for the game! That pass from Orton to Moose is what the Bears have been missing all these years!

And Harrington - What a joke!! FIVE interceptions!! Did anyone catch Harrington throwing a hissy fit?? It was like his 2nd or 3rd interception - sorry lost track...and he went to rip his chin gaurd off and he missed the snap on the side, but still tried to rip it down....When he realized he missed it, he just kinda stood there...like what should I do?? Then you see him reach up their real quick and rip it off real fast again....HAHA YOU SUCK

It's kinda crazy because the person I was playing in my fantasy league had the Bears D and Jones, so even though I was all happy when they were rockin, I was like SHIT...I was beat by 9 points. I made a HUGE mistake and left JJ Arrington in when he has the stomach flu, and forgot to put in Benson who scored 11 fantasy points, which would have been the game!! but I totally lost my mind Sat night and forgot to swap them out. Then last week I was going to drop the Jets D and pick up the Bengals, but I thought nahhhh don't jump to conclusions....and the Bengals D scored 20 fantasy points the Jets got me a woppin 8 points

KJ

Quote:
I'm here to chew some bubble gum, and kick some ass.......and I'm all out of bubblegum!!
MySpace
XBox Live - Gixx009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

You're right that the DL didn't put pressure on Harrington. I can't be certain because I'm not Lovie or Rivera, but it looked like they were playing the run with their DL and using their LB and DB's to put pressure on the QB. Both Scott and Harris seemed to be staying home at the line of scrimmage all game to protect the run. That would be a big change from their usual cover-2 strategy but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the plan all along after the Redskins gouged us up the middle all game last week. Scott and Harris are both good against the run if they maintain their discipline.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I was really impressed yesterday, I know its only the lions, but I gotta say it felt great to see something like that. I guess its like running a race against a retard, ya the win isnt fair but you still won and it feels good

After all the years of being depressed after a bears game that felt great to have a blow out.

Next week should be a very hard hitting, knock down drag out kinda game, I just hope none of our important players get any season ending injuries.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 10:47 AM
King Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
You're right that the DL didn't put pressure on Harrington. I can't be certain because I'm not Lovie or Rivera, but it looked like they were playing the run with their DL and using their LB and DB's to put pressure on the QB. Both Scott and Harris seemed to be staying home at the line of scrimmage all game to protect the run. That would be a big change from their usual cover-2 strategy but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the plan all along after the Redskins gouged us up the middle all game last week. Scott and Harris are both good against the run if they maintain their discipline.
Yeah, my thoughts too seeing how solid they were against the run, but we werent upstairs, and not knowing how they were calling it makes believe that was their strategy, but like I said a better team (or a better offensive coordinator) woulda made them pay since they didnt seem to be mixing it up at all. Hence, we will have to see what happens next week.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 10:50 AM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
I am horse this morning, from screaming all day at the game.

I am curious to know what people thought about the hit that Mike brown layed out on Pollard? Was it a clean hit, resulting in a ticky tac call? showing that modern football doesn't want to see Doug Plank like safety's anymore. I am curious to know what people think

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 10:54 AM
King Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms

I am curious to know what people thought about the hit that Mike brown layed out on Pollard? Was it a clean hit, resulting in a ticky tac call? showing that modern football doesn't want to see Doug Plank like safety's anymore. I am curious to know what people think
It was helmet to helmet.(I think the rule is stupid)

It is impossible to play the game worrying about that, all a guy has to do is misplace his body a few inches for the result, or the recipient of the hit to try to deek resulting in the same.

Just a stupid rule, and I am sure at that level of play, the players dont even think about it.

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerChicKJ
It's kinda crazy because the person I was playing in my fantasy league had the Bears D and Jones, so even though I was all happy when they were rockin, I was like SHIT...I was beat by 9 points. I made a HUGE mistake and left JJ Arrington in when he has the stomach flu, and forgot to put in Benson who scored 11 fantasy points, which would have been the game!! but I totally lost my mind Sat night and forgot to swap them out. Then last week I was going to drop the Jets D and pick up the Bengals, but I thought nahhhh don't jump to conclusions....and the Bengals D scored 20 fantasy points the Jets got me a woppin 8 points
11 fantasy points for a 16 attempt 49 yard game by Benson? Wow you got a funky scoring format in that league! I have Benson on the bench in one of my leagues and he was worth 2 fantasy points (1pt per 20 yards rushing).

I do have one funky Yahoo league with the Bears defense and somehow they were worth 40.70 points by some arcane mixture of PA, Sacks, Ints, TDs, Blked Kicks, Yards Allowed and return TD's. I'll never understand why people create leagues with such complicated scoring formulas!
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms

It was an "illegal" hit. Mike Brown is a ferrocious hitter who loves to punish people who come over the middle. He (and the Bears) would rather have him trying to lay people out than play like a girl and miss tackles or allow receivers to come across the middle. I bet the Bears pick up the $5,000 fine that is sure to come his way.

On that note though, the hit Kenoy Kennedy put on Moose was also a helmet to helmet illegal hit. The difference is that Moose got up and did a TD dance after he was hit! It's just part of the game and the vets know it.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 11:03 AM
Puppy Love!

I think that call was

KJ

Quote:
I'm here to chew some bubble gum, and kick some ass.......and I'm all out of bubblegum!!
MySpace
XBox Live - Gixx009
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 11:05 AM
Puppy Love!

Quote:
11 fantasy points for a 16 attempt 49 yard game by Benson? Wow you got a funky scoring format in that league! I have Benson on the bench in one of my leagues and he was worth 2 fantasy points (1pt per 20 yards rushing).

I do have one funky Yahoo league with the Bears defense and somehow they were worth 40.70 points by some arcane mixture of PA, Sacks, Ints, TDs, Blked Kicks, Yards Allowed and return TD's. I'll never understand why people create leagues with such complicated scoring formulas!
Yeah I was surprised he got so many points too....I have McNabb as well who scored me 42 fantasy points and Westbrook with 22 fantasy points. The person who had the Bears D scored 27 fantasy points.

KJ

Quote:
MySpace
XBox Live - Gixx009
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 11:08 AM
BH

Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?

Send a message via Yahoo to BH
I thought it was a clean football hit, but...... the NFL can't allow hits like that on a defenseless player or they will wind up with dead receivers and QBs. Brown's hit on Harrington was kinda high too. But look at it from Brown's point of view, if he lowers his shoulders and hits him in the chest/waist, he could break his own neck.
If I was Brown, I'd probably hit the guy in the head too, and pay my fine with my pocket change. Does Brown remind anyone else a little of Ronnie Lott?

Azumah and Tillman also had big hits that made me do the Rick Flaire "WOOOOOO!!!!"

but my favorite play of the day was when Joey H muffed that handoff and Briggs bearhug tackeld him and the RB.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 11:23 AM

On the plus side, the Lions kicked Green Bay's ass last week and we destroyed the Lions so using that kind of 5th grade thinking hopefully it has left us and the Vikings for the NFC North ... and the Vikings look terrible! I think it'll end up being a long season in the NFC North though, someone else has to play well (or the Bears may play poorly for a while which I don't want to see happen).

Orton had great confidence, you wouldn't even have known he was a rookie ... unless you already knew? I'm surprised no one has mentioned Urlacher, he was all over the field and his 2 sacks were monstrous. He was just a beast out on the field yesterday. I hope that FINALLY the sportscasters realize how good of a Bears D this is instead of just saying "a team that finished last last season" etc. Great game, bring on Cinci!
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 11:29 AM
Grammaton Cleric

Sportbike: 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
Years Riding: Since 07-01-2001
How you found us: Google, I believe

Send a message via AIM to MrBusa Send a message via Yahoo to MrBusa
Sweet music to my ears...

"Packers and Vikings 0 and 2."

-- Matthew --

"I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in the Universe" - Jango Fett
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 11:33 AM
-= OuterSpace =-

Sportbike: Yamaha YZ450
Years Riding: too many to keep track
How you found us: Shizzle

Don't get to excited guys...Bears still SUCK.

04 Yamaha YZ450F - Off-Road it, mang
06 Kawasaki BruteForce 750i
09 Yamaha Raptor 700r

- Mike - OldSkool - MC -
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 11:36 AM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolMC

that was a really enjoyable game.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 11:41 AM
Puppy Love!

hmmm....yeah they really suck

What are you a fudgepacker fan???

KJ

Quote:
MySpace
XBox Live - Gixx009
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolMC
You better back that up with your team. Or are you one of those fair weather fans who roots for whatever team is #1 in the power rankings?

The Bears are a solid football team right now. They are not great but they do not SUCK!
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 02:57 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Now if they can keep it up for next Sunday. I'm going to the game for the first time in decades.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

I know that I am a homer, but I honestly think this will be a great game to watch. Both teams match up very well offensively with Cinci being weak against the run and the Bears giving up the big passing play every game. The only way this game is going to be a stinker is if the Bengals get up by more than 14 early and the Bears are forced to pass into their ballhawking secondary. Hopefully, Ogunleye will be back and the pass rush will be good enough to rattle Palmer.
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 12:09 PM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
I know that I am a homer, but I honestly think this will be a great game to watch. Both teams match up very well offensively with Cinci being weak against the run and the Bears giving up the big passing play every game. The only way this game is going to be a stinker is if the Bengals get up by more than 14 early and the Bears are forced to pass into their ballhawking secondary. Hopefully, Ogunleye will be back and the pass rush will be good enough to rattle Palmer.
i just read a piece on chicagobears.com that stated that ogunleye's x-ray was negative, but that he was having MRI's done to be sure, but Lovie was confident he would play this weekend

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Bring it on!!!!

Sportbike: Honda F6B
Years Riding: Since 98
How you found us: Friend, Motobeagle-RIP

Anybody record the game, I stayed up till 3 am Monday hoping for the replay, they aired the stupid Suxs game instead. Anybody, please.
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

I keep hearing that if you have comcast then NFL On Demand has the games but I have yet to see one show up. Maybe I'm just too slow to figure out where they are though.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 02:16 PM
Bring it on!!!!

yeah, they do a 15 minuete recap thats on-demand, the skins game is available now. I'll just have to wait for that, I'm cant wait to see the hit Mike Brown made.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 03:51 PM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
I keep hearing that if you have comcast then NFL On Demand has the games but I have yet to see one show up. Maybe I'm just too slow to figure out where they are though.

I saw a couple games rebroadcasted on the NFL channel in preseason. That's concast.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

If you want to see the Mike Brown hit here it is:

http://media.putfile.com/_Ch03_20050918_224621
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 05:10 PM
King Nothing

Quote:

Man it still hurts to watch that! Old time football!

post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 06:25 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

He reminds me of the way Gary Fensick(sp) used to hit.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 07:48 AM
Bring it on!!!!

Quote:

Awe dam, I'll check it out when I get home today. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode