Bears vs. Bengals Preview - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Bears vs. Bengals Preview

I know it's early in the week but this game is going to be huge for both teams. Cincinnati is ranked top 3 in just about every offensive category however many are questioning whether that is their skill level or the result of playing terrible defenses in the Browns and Vikings. The Bears are a top 5 defense coming off a huge blowout of a favored Lions team. The winner of this match gets the title of contentender and the loser becomes the pretender.

Key Matchups:
Chad Johnson vs. Jerry Azumah: CJ is without a doubt a top-tier talent at WR. He has the speed, jumping ability and hands to make big plays. It's not likely that Azumah will be able to shut him down but if he can limit his impact to less than 100 yards and a score then this will be considered a victory. He cannot let Palmer and CJ play pitch and catch all day.

Rudi Johnson/Chris Perry vs. Urlacher/Briggs/Hillenmeyer: The Bengals will eventually try to pound the ball whether because of protecting a lead or having their passing game get shut down. The Bears LB's are going to have to do a good job of meeting these guys at or behind the line of scrimmage and try to force fumbles. I predict this is the best matchup for the Bears and think there is a good chance that the Bears can get both backs to cough up the ball at least once.

Jones/Benson vs. Bengals DLine: The Bengals are giving up almost 5 yards per carry so far this year. Their DLine is undersized and very susceptible to a power rushing team. If the Bears are going to win, it will likely take another 2TD and 150+ yards of rushing to make it happen. If the run game falters look for the Bengals to start bringing a lot of zone or delayed blitzes at Orton to try and force him into throwing interceptions.

Kyle Orton vs. Carson Palmer: Both QBs are still young and learning in the NFL. Palmer is probably the better QB at this point in his career but I don't think he is a pro-bowler like many at ESPN seem to think. If Azumah, Vasher and Tillman are having a good game, look for the Bears to start blitzing him from the LB core. Orton will likely not face as many blitzes are the Bengals should be focused on stoping our running game. This could set him up for huge success with the play-action pass.

Alex Brown: I think a big key to this game will be the first 15 minutes and how well AB gets pressure on Palmer. Brown's speed and outside moves matche up well against the 7-step drops that the Bengals often call. If Brown gets to Palmer early, it could set the tone for the whole game and frustrate the young QB.

My Prediction:
I think the Bears will pull this game out by a score of 20 to 13. I see the Bengals getting a TD from CJ and two field goals from Graham. The Bears should get a TD from a turnover and another from either Moose or Jones. However this game goes, it should be a great game to watch and a real nail-biter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 12:54 PM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Rich,

thank you for that review. I am very excited about this game on sunday.

I have a question. On sunday the bears were blitzing with there safety's. I thought this was a questionable call because of the talented receiver core of Detroit vs. the young secondarys in Tillman and vasher, and Azumah comming off of an injury. in the end it worked out really well, but do you think we will see that alot again on this sunday?

Also, do you think we will see more of Cedric Benson, and how do you compare him against Thomas Jones now that you have seen Cedric play in the NFL. I realize that Cedric got most of his carries in the 4th quarter where Detroit was stacking the box. But I was at the game on sunday and the people I was with all agreed that he didn't appear to have the speed and agility that Thomas Jones appeared to have. Am I right in making that assumption?

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
final score, Bears 72, Bengals -17. Da Bears!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 01:01 PM

Good Bears article from ESPN.com this morning -- written by Michael Smith (from Around The Horn).

Defense, Running Game Could Carry Bears

Good preview on the Bears vs Bengals matchup -- why aren't they playing Tillman on Chad Johnson. I read that on ESPN Insider too ... doesn't make sense if he's the top corner in the NFC North.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 01:15 PM
Grammaton Cleric

Sportbike: 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
Years Riding: Since 07-01-2001
How you found us: Google, I believe

Send a message via AIM to MrBusa Send a message via Yahoo to MrBusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
Rich,

thank you for that review. I am very excited about this game on sunday.

I have a question. On sunday the bears were blitzing with there safety's. I thought this was a questionable call because of the talented receiver core of Detroit vs. the young secondarys in Tillman and vasher, and Azumah comming off of an injury. in the end it worked out really well, but do you think we will see that alot again on this sunday?

Also, do you think we will see more of Cedric Benson, and how do you compare him against Thomas Jones now that you have seen Cedric play in the NFL. I realize that Cedric got most of his carries in the 4th quarter where Detroit was stacking the box. But I was at the game on sunday and the people I was with all agreed that he didn't appear to have the speed and agility that Thomas Jones appeared to have. Am I right in making that assumption?
Yes, you are! I have yet to be impressed by Benson.

-- Matthew --

"I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in the Universe" - Jango Fett
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 01:34 PM

Sportbike: 2002
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: sbn- ran into 20bikes riding

I am not impressed by Benson either.
He has no will to play with urgency or determination.
17 mil guar. already, stats don't matter... get your ass moving
He mopes around, slow back to the huddle.
Does'nt seem to be a bright light(ie his contract-he wanted a summer vacation)

Kyle Orton - Gonna light up the world!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

I am really not sure which way the Bears are going to challenge Palmer. I think the smarter move is to blitz with the LB's and keep the safetys back to help with CJ and Houshmandzadeh. Perhaps bring the safety blitz once or twice to keep things confusing. Tillman, Zoom and Vasher are all good corners but you can't expect any of them to shut down CJ one on one. If we bring the safetys up too often, we will give up TD strikes like the one Roy Williams put on us last week. The last thing we want is to let the Bengals make big plays early in the game. Besides, Briggs and Urlacher are both capable of knocking Palmer into next week and out of the game!

It's really hard for the coaches to take the ball out of T. Jones' hands with the way he is running. The competition from Benson has really lit a fire under this guy and he is in the best shape of his career and playing with intensity. I think that Benson will get a few more touches this week then he did last week, but Jones should still get the majority. I think 25 for TJ and 15 for Benson would be about right if the game stays close. More for both if we take a big lead, less if we are trailing.

I am a big fan of T. Jones but eventually Benson will be the starting tailback. Throughout his career TJ has shown that he cannot carry the ball 30 plus times a game without wearing down. The Bears want to wear down other teams and punish them with an aggressive OL and a power back. Benson is a workhorse back who gets stronger as the game goes on. At some point this season, Benson will be starting and TJ will be coming in on 3rd down or to spell Benson. Benson makes way too much money to not get a chance at the feature back role.

It's still too early to tell if Benson will be able to do in the pro's what he did in college, but I think there is only a small chance that he will be a bust like Enis or Salaam. IMO he will be a very good to great workhorse back for our team. Perhaps a career like Eddie George had for the Titans.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 05:11 PM

Kind of going along with Flinchy ... yes, I think Benson will be a quality running back. He's 6th all time in the NCAA in rushing yards, started all 4 seasons, and had no major injuries. When he comes into the game for the Bears ... the opponents have no reason to think that he came in for a passing play ... they know they are going to run. Once Benson can switch over and begin getting more touches per game than Jones, I think you'll see how he really shines.

Benson is also more of a power back, not as shifty and agile as Jones, he's the guy that knocks over the LB and keeps running. It's not like Chicago fans to judge a guy after he gets 20 carries and set him on that path for life ... but once he starts and pushes Jones out of the picture more, we'll really be able to see what he's capable of. I think he's going to be a pretty damn good back, I like the Eddie George comparison by the way.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 05:18 PM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
i spent some time in Dallas a few weeks back, talking football with a few fellow coworkers, who were all big Texas Football fans. They ALL thought Cedric Benson was a bust. I quote 80% of Ricky Williams in every aspect, 80% the size, 80% the talent, 80% the agility, 80% the speed... There is two ways to look at this. #1, I would love to have a running back that can put up 80% of the numbers Ricky Williams was capable of putting up. The other way to look at it is that the difference between a first round pick and a undrafted burger flipper is sometimes only a tenth of a second in the 40 yd. dash

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 05:32 PM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook
final score, Bears 72, Bengals -17. Da Bears!
Is that with regular size ditka? or mini ditka?

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
i spent some time in Dallas a few weeks back, talking football with a few fellow coworkers, who were all big Texas Football fans. They ALL thought Cedric Benson was a bust. I quote 80% of Ricky Williams in every aspect, 80% the size, 80% the talent, 80% the agility, 80% the speed... There is two ways to look at this. #1, I would love to have a running back that can put up 80% of the numbers Ricky Williams was capable of putting up. The other way to look at it is that the difference between a first round pick and a undrafted burger flipper is sometimes only a tenth of a second in the 40 yd. dash
Texas fans don't like Benson because he never did good against Oklahoma. He also said winning the Heisman was more important than beating Oklahoma. That is sacriledge down there.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode