Bears vs. Bengals Recap - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Bears vs. Bengals Recap

The Bengals blew out an overmatched Chicago Bears team with a combination of big play passing and an aggressive defense by the score of 24-7. This wouldn't have been so bad but it happened in Chicago and good defensive teams are not supposed to get blown out at home.

On Offense:
Rookie QB Kyle Orton managed to throw 5 INTs, although not all of them were his fault. In a harbinger of things to come, the very first pass thrown was a short crossing pattern in traffic which was bobbled by Justin Gage and then picked off by the Bengals. Orton struggled with his accuracy all day and consistently underthrew his receivers all day finishing with a horrible 17/39 for 149 yard stat line. The receiving core also looked dismal by failing to adjust to throws and dropping catchable passes. Even Moose looked razzled and had a very poor day.

Thomas Jones looked strong running the ball but Turner never game him a chance to get going until the third quarter. Jones ran for 106 yards and 1 TD on 27 carries. His longest run was a 17 yarder. You have to question the play calling yesterday as it was obvious early that Kyle Orton was not throwing the ball well. Being down only 10 points at halftime, the Bears should have just stuck the ball in TJ's hands and pounded away. Cedric Benson did not get a carry in the game and it's becoming clear that he is not earning any love from the Bears coaching staff during practice.

Doug Brien badly missed his only FG attempt of the day from 39 yards out. The offensive line played well and Orton was not sacked the entire game. He was hurried a few times, but the pressure was not consistent and not the main reason for the 5 interceptions. Overall it was a terrible showing by the coaches and the passing offense. Cincinnati is a good team but they are not as good on defense at the Bears made them look. Turner, Orton and all the receivers need to learn from this game. Orton is a rookie and a game like this is inevitable if you ask him to consitently make tough throws. They need to be more determined with the running game and not call so many dangerous throws to take the pressure off of him while he learns the NFL speed.

On Defense:
The D played a very good game but continued to give up the big play. The first TD pass to Chad Johnson was a perfect throw and catch but Mike Brown was late in giving deep help to Charles Tillman. Nate Vasher badly missed a chuck on CJ later in the game allowing him to break free for another score. However, the Bengals are an extremely talented offensive team and to hold them to 24 points when they win the turnover battle by +5 is a very good effort. The pash rush was generating a good push the whole day and the Bears shut down Rudi Johnson holding him to 84 yards on 25 carries and keeping him out of the endzone all day. It's a shame that such a good effort was wasted.

Conclusion:
The Bengals gave the Bears a good ole fashioned butt whipping. They controlled the game from start to finish and were clearly the better team. They also exposed the way to beat Kyle Orton by disguising their coverages and not giving him single coverage to throw at. The Bears have a bye next week and then face a string of six bad teams in @Cleveland, Minnesota, Baltimore, @Detroit, @New Orleans, and San Francisco. If the Bears want to make a run at the playoffs this year they had better compile a winning record over that stretch because they play three good teams later in the year in Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh and Atlanta. All hope is not lost and the Bears can still rebound from this game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Excellent article!!!

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 10:39 AM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

It was just plain painful to watch..................

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 10:42 AM

Sportbike: 2002
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: sbn- ran into 20bikes riding

good report.

Now for all those jagbag's calling to pull Orton.
For Blake?? Yea, right Brian Hanley(Jagbag! )

I still say Orton will be the best Bear's QB ever!...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 10:56 AM

[QUOTE=Jughead]good report.

Now for all those jagbag's calling to pull Orton.
For Blake?? Yea, right Brian Hanley(Jagbag! )

I agree on that.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 11:31 AM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Orton is a rookie, you have to expect that he isn't going to preform like he did against Detroit every game. Also, you have to remember that prior to mid way through the preseason, he wasn't even our starter. he has progressed a long way.

Rich. I have two questions for you. Did you see improvement in Orton's play today when compared to the washington game of two weeks prior? in my opinion in order for Orton to become a feature QB he needs to constantly improve, and I was hoping somebody saw improvement from week 1 to week 3. and my second question WTF does who dey mean? All of the bengals fans were chanting it at the game yesterday?

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 12:01 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger
It was just plain painful to watch..................
no kiddin'...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
Rich. I have two questions for you. Did you see improvement in Orton's play today when compared to the washington game of two weeks prior? in my opinion in order for Orton to become a feature QB he needs to constantly improve, and I was hoping somebody saw improvement from week 1 to week 3. and my second question WTF does who dey mean? All of the bengals fans were chanting it at the game yesterday?
I would say he regressed from week 2 and played at about the same level as the week 1 match up in Washington. He was very inaccurate with his throws and was forcing the ball into some tight situations. He also needs to do a better job checking down to his safety valves. Thomas Jones had 5 catches for 8 yards. They need him more involved in the passing game when teams drop back into coverage. If Orton is running this offense correctly, and Turner is calling the right plays, TJ should have 8-12 catches and 50+ yards a game receiving to go with his 100+ yards rushing when teams line up defensively the way the Bengals did. The running game and the hb screen pass were there all day long and the Bears just didn't take advantage of it. It is going to take time for Orton to develop into the kind of QB who can recognize this stuff and find the weak spots in a defense.

Who Dey? That came from the 90's Bengals era. The whole chant is something like "Who Dey Think Gonna Beat Dem Bengals?" but it has to be the dumbest football chant ever conceived. AFAIK, it was created by some fans who were experimented with crystal meth and huffing glue while auto-erotic-asphyxiating themselves. The team liked it enough to name their mascot Who Dey.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode