Bears vs. Vikings Recap - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Bears vs. Vikings Recap

The Bears took advantage of a terrible and distracted Vikings team to the tune of a 28-3 victory. The Bears played well but it was clear that the Vikings were not even going to try and make a game of it today. There are still a lot of question marks for the Bears but it's good to see that they are still capable of beating up on an inferior team.

On Offense:
Kyle Orton played a decent game ending with 115 yards 2 TDs and one pick on a deep pass. He was not making great reads today and continued to stare down his receivers for most of the game. His arm looked good but he did overthrow an open receiver three times in the game. Really, Orton would have been in trouble if he was playing a better defense than the Vikings. The good news is that he got better as the game went on.

Thomas Jones continues to play like a man who wants some respect. On an off day for the offensive line, which played without Tait or Brown, Jones made the most of every opportunity and ran the ball very effectively. Jones has been the only consistently effective player on offense this year. Benson got a few carries but looked slow and confused against a defense stacked at the line against him.

The breakout player of the game has to be Desmond "i've got an ouchie" Clark. The oft-injured and fumble prone tight end hauled in two TD passes and converted a nice third down in the game. As an even bigger surprise, I think he went the whole game without a drop or a penalty! Let's hope and pray that he keeps up this level of play because he hasn't looked this good since coming over from Denver.

On Defense:
The D wasn't as good as the 3 points allowed might lead you to believe. In the first half of the game, the Vikings missed three FG's and they spent most of the half with the ball in Bears territory. They did however continue to stand tough in the red zone. The defense needs to work and playing a complete game if they want to turn this season around.

In the second half, while playing with a lead, the defense started to shine. Culpepper was under pressure from a ferocious blitz the whole half and the secondary came up with two nice interceptions. Urlacher was a constant force disrupting the short passing game and sacking Culpepper twice. The Vikings were kind enough to shoot themselves in the foot by racking up penalties. I think they ended up with over 13 flags on the day.

Stand out player on defense is a toss up between Chris Harris and Peanut Tillman. Both of them have played poorly the past two games, but came up big today. Both had an interception which set up a touch down and neither got burned in coverage.

Summary:
The Bears looked better than they actually played today. I am normally a homer, but even I had to cringe at the awfull play of the Vikings today. Joliet-Catholic HS could probably have beat the Vikings! However, the Bears did look better on both sides of the ball than they have against either the Bengals or the Browns. I just think that if they were really playing at full potential, they would have won this game by halftime and put about 38 points on the board. They might have another gravy game next week against a Ravens team that boasts a worse offense than the Bears!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 09:56 AM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

i really like your game reports, but stay away form the Joliet Catholic plugs. They are the only hs team in the country that's allowed to recruit!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode