Waa! The roof!! It's cold!! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

Waa! The roof!! It's cold!!

I am ashamed to live near these whiners....

MLB orders roof open for Game 3

HOUSTON (AP) -- Major League Baseball pulled the roof out from over the Houston Astros' heads.

Over the objections of the Astros, the commissioner's office ordered the roof open at Minute Maid Park for Game 3 of the World Series on Tuesday night and said all games in Houston this week are likely to be played outdoors.

"I don't think Major League Baseball should have the right to tell us about the roof," Astros outfielder Lance Berkman said. "They're trying to take the home-field advantage from us. I don't think that's right."

Jimmie Lee Solomon, executive vice president of baseball operations in the commissioner's office, made the announcement on the field about four hours before the scheduled first pitch. The sky was cloudless when Solomon spoke.

"We've studied weather, winds, we've studied humidity. There isn't a cloud within 800 miles of here," baseball commissioner Bud Selig said. "In Milwaukee, you don't get a day like this until July Fourth."

The gametime temperature was 61 degrees, and Selig said it would not get too cold for fans later in the evening. He cited baseball's decision to order the roof be opened during the 2001 World Series at Bank One Ballpark in Phoenix.

"I need to get a new life, because I sat and watched The Weather Channel all day determining about low temperatures, high temperatures, medium temperatures," Selig said.

The Astros like playing with the roof closed because, among other things, it increases the noise. They were not thrilled with the decision.

"It's almost like a road game for us now," Astros first baseman Mike Lamb said. "We're not used to playing with it open."

It didn't seem to hurt them at the start. There was a high decibel level at the beginning when Lance Berkman's first-inning single put them ahead.

Selig and Solomon said the commissioner's office followed the Astros' regular-season guidelines, which they said call for the roof to be open when the temperature is under 80 degrees and there is no rain. Astros spokeswoman Lisa Ramsperger said there are no specific guidelines.

"I think it's a disregard to our fans, the comfort of our fans," Astros manager Phil Garner said.

Solomon said that the forecast is favorable for the rest of the week and that the roof is likely to be open for all games in Houston. The Astros played their first five postseason games this year with the roof closed. Solomon said the temperature was over 80 degrees for all except Game 3 of the first-round series against Atlanta.

"By the time we got here to look at the roof it was already there and we could not change it in time," he said.

During the regular season, the Astros were 36-17 at home when the roof was closed, 15-11 when it was rolled back and 2-0 in games that began indoors and finished in fresh air. It was open just twice after May -- for a pair of games against the Chicago Cubs during the final series of the regular season.

"This is part of our home-field advantage and for major league baseball to try and change that is either a) ridiculous or b) they're American League fans," Astros catcher Brad Ausmus said.

Selig had a different view.

"The only factor that should determine it is weather," he said. "We don't do things to give teams competitive advantages in anything."

White Sox outfielder Aaron Rowand cited his experiences in the Metrodome in Minneapolis.

"When it's packed, that place is loud. I'd doubt if it's louder than that," he said. "Close the damn thing, it doesn't matter to us. Everybody is making a big deal about the roof. I don't think anybody cares whether it's closed or open."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 11:02 PM

too much reading at this hour.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 11:31 PM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
Tied in the bottom of the tenth!!!!!!

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 05:35 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
At the start of the game, the two announcers, the blonde female, and the other guy, wouldn't shut up about the damn roof! Especially him, the arrogant ass, soured the whole game for me. I quickly came to the conclusion that baseball would be better off with out that kind of commentary. Stick with "Fast ball over the outside corner, striiiiikkkkkeee"

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 05:43 AM

Sportbike: 2002
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: sbn- ran into 20bikes riding

Or just listen to AM1000 to catch John Rooney and Ed Farmer do the Sox Game. A lot better than listenening to the National Announcers(sox haters).

They give a lot better insite and stories than TV guys. Well except for the Great Hawk-a-roo

This will be John Rooney's last game as his contract was not picked up

Last edited by RSV4win; 10-26-2005 at 06:11 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 08:06 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Go Sox!!!!

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

That was SOOOOOO worth losing sleep over!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode