Bear vs. 49ers recap - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Bear vs. 49ers recap

The Bears won beat the visiting 49ers by the score of 17-9 yesterday. The winds were the big story of the day as gusts of over 50mph were causing havoc on the passing and kicking game all day. The other big story was an NFL record 108 yard TD return of a missed FG by Nathan Vasher. It looked like he ran out of gas twice during the run back but the blocking was incredible and he somehow made it to the endzone, where he promptly collapsed.

On Offense:
Playing without RT Fred Miller, whose jaw was reportedly broken by teammate Olin Kreutz during an altercation, the Bears didn't miss a beat pounding the football down the 49ers throat. Benon left the game, and is probably out the rest of the season with a knee injury, after rushing 12 times for 50 yards. Adrian Peterson stepped in and went on a terror en route to a 24 for a 120 yards day.

There wasn't goign to be much throwing on such a windy day, but Kyle Orton went 8/13 for 67 yards and a costly interception in the red zone where he missed a wide open Moose on an out pattern. He is very fortunate that mistake didn't cost us the game, but I think the bigger question mark is why throw the ball in that situation at all? They were running the ball at will and Lovie decides to call a pass on 2nd and goal in the middle of a wind storm?

On Defense:
With the outstanding performance yesterday, the Bears are now the number 1 ranked defense in the league. They are first in yards and points allowed. SF could not get anything going all game and their points were all the result of three Bobby Wade fumbles on punt returns. The 49ers completed only one pass the whole game, also setting an NFL record for passing yards in a half. It's tough to pick a standout player since they all played well, but Brian Urlacher was making plays all day. He even made two key blocks on the Vasher TD return.

On Special Teams:
Bobby Wade needs stick'em in a serious way. He could easily have been the goat for coughing the ball up three times. He actually fumbled four times, but recovered one himself. I think the coaches need to sit him a game and get him some work holding onto the damn ball. Robbie Gould did pretty well considering the conditions. He missed one FG wide right by about 50 yards, but it's clear the wind gusted terribly on that kick. He later made one from 37 yards that gave the bears a key 8 point lead late in the game.

Overall:
It was a tough day to play football and the 49ers are a very weak team, but the Bears got the job done and overcame their mistakes to earn the win. Next week is the start of a tough schedule stretch that will likely determine their fate for the post season. With Minnesota and Detroit showing signs of life, it's important the Bears don't fade against this part of the schedule. Carolina visits next week and they are a very dangerous team. I don't predict the Bears winning that game, but if they do it will be six wins in a row and generate some massive momentum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 04:37 PM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

I couldn't believe my eyes when that fg attempt took off, it was like it was tied to a rope by a guy on the 20 yard line.

GO BEARS!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 04:43 PM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
yeah well the Vikings won one they should've lost yesterday so LOOK OUT FOR DEM VIKINGS BABY!!!

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 10:55 PM

Benson is out 3-6 weeks:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=2224068

Crazy game, listened to this one on the radio, caught the highlights though. Insane. I think I could run behind the Bears line and pick up 50 yards in a game ... as long as we played touch
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

I wouldn't be surprised if Benson is actually done for the year and the Bears are keeping it quiet. They invested a crapload of money and a #4 overall pick in him and since Jones is still the man and Peterson is able to spell him, why risk aggravating a strained MCL? I personally wouldn't let him back on the field this year unless his knee was 100%. It would be just the Bears luck that we lose our future franchise back in his first year due to pushing an injury. That knee bend looked REALLY bad when it happened.

On a positive note, the Bears are only 2.5 point dogs this weekend against the Panters. The heads in Vegas see something dangerous about the Bears. I wouldn't be surprised if the Moose playing his old team factor is weighing into the spread.....

Flinchy unfortunately predicts a Carolina win by the score of 20-13. Panthers score one on defense or special teams and Keary Colbert gets the other score on a play action bomb. Bears get one TD out of Jones. I don't see it happening, but if Chicago can get 2 INTs then this could be a close Bears win by something like 16-13.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
I wouldn't be surprised if Benson is actually done for the year and the Bears are keeping it quiet. They invested a crapload of money and a #4 overall pick in him and since Jones is still the man and Peterson is able to spell him, why risk aggravating a strained MCL? I personally wouldn't let him back on the field this year unless his knee was 100%. It would be just the Bears luck that we lose our future franchise back in his first year due to pushing an injury. That knee bend looked REALLY bad when it happened.

On a positive note, the Bears are only 2.5 point dogs this weekend against the Panters. The heads in Vegas see something dangerous about the Bears. I wouldn't be surprised if the Moose playing his old team factor is weighing into the spread.....

Flinchy unfortunately predicts a Carolina win by the score of 20-13. Panthers score one on defense or special teams and Keary Colbert gets the other score on a play action bomb. Bears get one TD out of Jones. I don't see it happening, but if Chicago can get 2 INTs then this could be a close Bears win by something like 16-13.
That knee bend did look pretty bad... I hope they sit him just so we don't kill him during his rookie season.

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 11:53 PM

When I saw it all I thought of was Joe Theissman MNF. I was shocked to hear it was just a sprain.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

It always scares me when the Bears release an injury report that seems much brighter than the injury looked and then explain it with term like "he has flexible knees" or "he has great ligament conditioning". I figure it's 100% BS and i'm all full in the fertalizer bin.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 09:39 AM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
on the way home from the game, we were listening to Obranivich on the radio, and a few callers had a very valid point. that wind was a great equalizier. And while I question a few callers that said even players like the manning brothers would have trouble being effective in a game like that.

Also, Coach Nolan (SF's coach, right?) is really the reason the bears won this game. Flinchy, just like you questioning the call of lovie to throw the ball in the red zone, why would you attempt a 50+ field goal in those conditions. The bears practice that very play, and Nathan Vasher and the Bears special teams was ready for it. Nolan also made alot of bad decisions late in the game that enabled the bears to win. But with a young team like the bears at home, why would you give the momentum back to them at the end of the first half...

oh, and if you didn't hear, Bobby wade, won San Fransisco's MVP for the week...

Finally, I figured out why the bears wore those orange jerseys... Because it made san fransisco and there "alternate life style" feel more comfortable.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 11:59 AM

I wish the Bears would wear their Blue jersey's with Blue pants, they've only done it once I think. It was in like 2002 or 2003 when they were playing down in Champaign.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 12:02 PM

Sportbike: CURRENTLY LOOKING
Years Riding: since I was 8
How you found us: The NET is MINE

has anyone found some video of that return yet?

Logtar - John

My Blog - @Logtar - Google+

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode