Bears vs. Packers recap - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Bears vs. Packers recap

My fingers have finally thawed and my hangover has subsided so here's the recap of the 19-7 Bears victory yesterday. I had pretty good seats yesterday but was terribly wasted the whole game so this recap is going to be a bit flat.

On Offense:
Bleh. The O forgot to show up at all yesterday. The running game was flat and the passing game was even worse. The only good thing to come out of the offense was the possible realization that we need to get Grossman healthy because Orton is not ready yet. Also we need to get A. Peterson more carries as long as T. Jones is still hurting. AP was the only player who looked fired up on the offense yesterday.

On Defense:
They didn't have as good a day as you might think judging by the score. The Pack decided to run max protection most of the day and the DLine looked ineffective against it. Farve chewed up the Bears for a bunch of yards in the first half. Fortunately, Rivera responded at half time by calling more blitzes and then the fun really started. Farve got rattled and the D came up big in the second half.

On Special Teams:
Robbie Gould came up big going 4/5 on the day and the one he missed was just short by a few yards. His kickoffs also looked pretty good on a day when the cold probably took 10 yards off the kicking game.

The Bears need a new punt returner. Wade and Davies both stink and cough up the damn ball. I think it's time for Nate Vasher to get a second job returning punts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I keep hearing all this talk about Rex, and we need to get him back. I didnt actually get to see the game I was listening to it. but is orton really that bad? I mean how many games have we won and we are playoff bound. Cade mcnown bad? I'm wondering if we are not Micro managing too much. Look at the results. Ya it aint pretty but its there. But like I said I was only listening I didnt actually see it.

I just dont think ever relying on Rex will be a good situation, the guy breaks a bone throwing his coffee cup in the trash not to mention throwing a pass.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 06:59 PM
VTwin FTW!

Sportbike: 2013 Ducati Diavel Cromo
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: Friend

Orton, wasn't that good at all, but they keep winning anyway. he isn't making mistakes that cost them the game, so I would continue to ride him until you lose a couple games in a row.

If they make the playoffs with him as the starter, you have to give him the job in the playoffs even if Rex is healthy enough to play. The kids earned it IMO.

Mike

"Life is all about ass ... either you are covering it, kicking it, kissing it, sitting on it or trying to get it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 07:18 PM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
here is my take on the whole rex v. orton...

A. you have to start your best players at each position, unless they are doing something to undermine the sucess of your team, AKA TO, you have to have and start the best personal you are capable of, that is how you win football games. And I believe talent wise Rex is the guy, RIGHT NOW.

B. Orton adds nothing to the team, his numbers are terrible, the only thing that Kyle does is he doesn't make mistakes. The fact is that he isn't winning football games, but at the same time he isn't loosing them. The defense and special teams are winning football games. I firmly believe that if we had a offense that was able to sustain a drive and keep our defense fresh, we would be an even better football team. Brett Favre and the packers showed our defense's weeknesses yesterday. Moving forward, teams like Atl and Pitt will be able to capatilize much better. we need a offense that can control the clock, and I believe that Rex is the key. We have a solid running game. With the reemergence of Berriman and gage stepping up, we have a pass threat in the reciever core, we have an offensive line that can provide protection, all we need is a leader that can pull it together.

Counter Point, Rex gets hurt alot. He has only played in three games in his career. True, so keep Kyle ready, if Rex goes down, Kyle will still be there. Orton knows the system, and has proven that he is in capable of running it with any accuracy. It's time to give the other guy a chance. Because at this point at 9-3, I am not looking at making the playoffs, I want to make something OF the playoffs.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Kyle Orton is a rookie quarterback. He's very gun shy since the 5 INT Cinicinnati game. Combine that with an OC that is trying to be conservative and you end up with a terrible offense. Kyle is not ready to be the starting QB of a playoff team. He was progessing nicely earlier in the season but he seems to have regressed over the last few games.

I don't think it's time to put Jeff Blake in and from what I hear, Grossman is still not 100%. If Rex was 100%, he would be starting this weekend without a doubt in my mind. The team has a lot of respect and love for Rex and the offense would be better with him out there slinging balls down the field. I think Orton is the right choice until Rex is 100%, then give him the damn ball and let them duke it out in camp next year.

The big question is whether Turner ever goes downfield again this season. The defense is so damn good that he's really carefull about throwing INT's and therefore doesn't stretch the field when he's in our own territory. It's worked so far, but look for him to bump into trouble either in Pitt or against Atlanta. Hopefully one of those games will tell us what we are going to do if we have to throw the ball.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 05:01 PM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
Hopefully one of those games will tell us what we are going to do if we have to throw the ball.
This makes me cringe. Pittsburgh has lost two in a row, they are gonna be out for blood.

I would like to see Rex run a series or two in max protect just to see if we have a shot during these games. Not the whole game, just a couple series. I'm sure they are taking extra care as far as putting Rex back in too early, but I'm a bears fan and I want to win every damn game we can.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 05:02 PM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few

I'm just glad not to be seeing, Hutchinson, Burris, Quinn, Krenzel, Blake etc...

Eric
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I thnk we are placing to much faith in rex, he has far from proven himself. hell he has only finished a couple of games. and at the times we saw him play we would have been excited if emo philips was out there sling balls considering the jauron induced slump we in the middle of. The question is, is rex really as good as we make him out to be. and if we thrwo him in there will orton just say fuck you guys if rex turns otu to be a dud after all when we try to go back to him.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 05:26 PM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
two words.............

KURT KITTNER!!!!!!

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 06:34 PM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo
two words.............

KURT KITTNER!!!!!!
one word response....

CUT

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
one word response....

CUT

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 09:45 AM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony
will orton just say fuck you guys if rex turns otu to be a dud after all when we try to go back to him.
Can't get much worse, 60 yards passing is pathetic. You could put a tight end in to hand off a ball play after play.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Grammaton Cleric

Sportbike: 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
Years Riding: Since 07-01-2001
How you found us: Google, I believe

Send a message via AIM to MrBusa Send a message via Yahoo to MrBusa
Robbie Gould is not just good, he was great! While I was watching the pre-game warm-up I noticed that Gould was the only one on field (that I could see) without long sleeves. He really gave the screws to the Packers by giving them some crappy field position. He was one of the bright spots of the day.

As for Orton. I have been saying for weeks that I was not impressed with Orton and that Lovie should think about putting in Grossman near the end of the season and everyone here at work gave me a hard time about my comments. Here is the thing, yes, Orton is a rookie and yes Grossman has only played 6 games, but with Grossman, when I would see him play, I noticed a X-Factor. That little something that makes me think that we could have some magic here. After 11 games, I have yet to see that X-Factor with Orton. It may come with age, practice, and maturity, but for now I am of the opinion that no QB spot on the depth chart should be sacred. It should be up for grabs from week to week.

Oh, and for those who say that we should not change a QB in the season just for the sake of changing, tell that to Minnesota fans. They seem to be doing just fine without their #1 QB.

-- Matthew --

"I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in the Universe" - Jango Fett
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 11:06 AM

Sportbike: 2002
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: sbn- ran into 20bikes riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
And I believe talent wise Rex is the guy, RIGHT NOW.
B. Orton adds nothing to the team, his numbers are terrible, the only thing that Kyle does is he doesn't make mistakes.
Do you listen to Dan Bernstein?

Rex is not healthy right now. The Bears have won 8 in row.

Will people shut up about this if they beat the Steelers.

Ron Turner is playing Orton conservative.
Typical Bears with their quarterbacks.

Kyle would do better in a dome / warm climate and a better Off. Coordinator.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 12:02 PM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBusa
Oh, and for those who say that we should not change a QB in the season just for the sake of changing, tell that to Minnesota fans. They seem to be doing just fine without their #1 QB.
You don't understand just how bad Culpepper was. He made Orton look like Peyton Manning.

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 01:38 PM

Sportbike: 2002
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: sbn- ran into 20bikes riding

Brad Johnson is alittle different than the great Rex grossman.

Brad Johnson won the Super Bowl with Tampa Bay.
No comparison.

The Bears wanted to sign Brad Johnson but have him #2 to Grossman.
No chance to compete for the job.
He said Baaahhhh to that.

I'm tired of this Grossman talk
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

I think Grossman has the potential to be a great QB in the NFL. He has all of the tangibles, except height to see the field. His arm is strong, he makes good reads and he has one of the quickest deliveries around. His only downsides are that he forces passes into coverage and his body seems to be made of balsa wood.

I agree with not putting him on the field unless he is 100%. But if he is healthy, then I think we should make the change right now. Screw the winning streak and superstition garbage, get the best player on the damn field.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 04:57 AM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

My impression of the Packers.......

THEY SUCK!!!!!

Thats the impression I get from them.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 05:30 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
The Bears didn't win that game, the Packers lost it. Bears in the 1st quarter played no better than the Barrington Broncos. They will never win a Super Bowl letting oppurtunties like that slip away.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode