Bears vs. Steelers Recap - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Bears vs. Steelers Recap

The Bears got manhandled by the Steelers in a 21-9 loss yesterday. The weather was cold and snowy and the Steelers played more physical ball than the Bears could handle.

On Offense:
The running game never got going as the Steelers stacked the box and managed to push our OL around. Jones looked a step slow for most of the game and the only big running play came on a 32 yard sweep to the left when the Steelers were blitzing in the middle. Jones finished with 72 yards on only 14 carries after the Bears fell behind early.

Kyle Orton showed some improvement from last week. He led the Bears on two good scorind drives. The first drive he led the Bears all the way to a first and goal on the 2 yard line. However some questionable play calling (run, pass, pass) led to a stop, sack and incompletion. If the Bears want to get to the next level, they have to be able to pound the ball in from 2 yards out with three downs! The second drive was an amazing three play TD drive. A pass to Clark for 27 yards (and an amazing catch in traffic), and a 43 yarder to Berrian set up a 1 yard TD plunge by Thomas Jones. Two long scoring drives are nice, but Kyle was still a rookie QB and missed some wide open receivers and over threw the ball quite a bit as usual.

On Defense:
Flat. They looked slow and tired right from the start of the game. It could be playing two physical games in a row in bad weather. It could be the loss of Mike Brown and Chris Harris. Or it could be that they just aren't big enough to play against a team like the Steelers. Even elite units have bad days and yesterday it was the Bears defense's turn.

The Steelers ran the ball all day long on us. Our DLine was getting blocked out. Our LB's were getting trapped and making crappy arm tackle attempts. The whole team was missing tackles. The only bright spots came from Tillman and Vasher who did an excellent job covering Hines Ward and Antwan Randle-El. Unfortunately, the Steelers didn't have to throw the ball to win when they can rush for 190 yards.

Conclusion:
This game meant more to the Steelers than the Bears and they came out fired up while the Bears came out flat. In a way, i'm glad that it happened now and not in the playoffs. This game should sober up the Bears and hopefully it will fire them up for the strech run and the playoffs. No team likes to be physically beaten like the Bears were.

Atlanta is coming to town next week and the rest of the season depends on that game. If they win in convincing fashion, then the Bears should be able to make a splash in the playoffs. If they play badly then it's time to worry about the mental toughness of the Bears. They need to come out and push Atlanta around the way the Steelers pushed them around if they want to get some respect back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Like you I think it was good that they got thier ass handed to them yesterday. I completely expected it going into the game and was nto surprised when it happened. Hopefully it will show them that luck will get you to the top but it wont keep you there. As one of the last holdouts who thought Orton should be kept in the starting position I am now starting to come around and thinking lets see what Rex can do. I for one subscribe to the rule of if it aint broke dont fix it which is something we can never seem to do in chicago sports, but if we are ahead at the half next week against atlanta, I would love to see Rex play the last half and see what he can do. I will havwe to give Lovie a call and make this suggestion

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 10:48 AM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Yeah, it was a wakeup call, and to me, it was painfully obvious that the bears although they have speed on defense, need some size. Even when they were penetrating and getting claws around the RB's they were being dragged for yards.....

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 10:58 AM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger
Yeah, it was a wakeup call, and to me, it was painfully obvious that the bears although they have speed on defense, need some size. Even when they were penetrating and getting claws around the RB's they were being dragged for yards.....
that came as a result of Mike Brown being missing. He was sorely missed today, and the backup couldn't fill in nearly as well as Mike Brown did.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 11:15 AM

They got punched in the mouth and never punched back. Worst Defense performance all year.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 11:25 AM

Sportbike: 2002
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: sbn- ran into 20bikes riding

Lets put Rex out there so he breaks some part of his body and then the Bears can finally cut him realizing he will never play a season and amounts to only a clipboard holder

Then they can get a free agent QB, another reciever, and tight end..

It was nice when the let Kyle wing the ball down the field at the start of the 4th quarter.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 11:28 AM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Something needs to be done. I can't remember the last offensive TD. It's just too much pressure on D.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead
Lets put Rex out there so he breaks some part of his body and then the Bears can finally cut him realizing he will never play a season and amounts to only a clipboard holder

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Honestly fellas, the Bears got exposed...the defense is a good one, but not great...i mean that in a historical sense...without an offense to compliment them they have no real shot outside of the entertainment value of a winning team...i hate the parody in the NFL today...you put this team on the field in '92 and they're a bottom of the barrel team...and it's not just the quarterback...we need another reciever and an f'ing tight end for christ sake...i think our last good one might be Mike Ditka!

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

I wouldn't call the defense exposed. They are MUCH better than they played against the Steelers. Mike Brown being out is one thing, but the looked slow and tired the whole game. The game against Green Bay was a physical one and maybe it just took some of the wind out of them. I will guarantee that Chico Rivera has them punching back next week against Atlanta.

The Orton vs. Grossman thing is moot as long as Rex is not 100% healthy. Word around Halas Hall is that he doesn't have all his mobility back, which was never that great to begin with, and they won't put him in until he gets it back. I think as soon as Rex is healthy, let them battle it out in practice and start whoever is getting the job done.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 04:15 PM
-= OuterSpace =-

Sportbike: Yamaha YZ450
Years Riding: too many to keep track
How you found us: Shizzle

Awesome game!

04 Yamaha YZ450F - Off-Road it, mang
06 Kawasaki BruteForce 750i
09 Yamaha Raptor 700r

- Mike - OldSkool - MC -
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 04:22 PM
VTwin FTW!

Sportbike: 2013 Ducati Diavel Cromo
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: Friend

UGLY!...... . Just plain Ugly.!

Mike

"Life is all about ass ... either you are covering it, kicking it, kissing it, sitting on it or trying to get it."
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 04:35 PM
Grid Marshall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
I wouldn't call the defense exposed. They are MUCH better than they played against the Steelers.
Sorry, i didn't mean the defense alone was exposed, but rather that the team as a whole...you just can't depend on your defense to score for you week in and week out...truthfully, that is the ONLY thing that separated the game defensively from any other...take one of those touchdown drives by Pittsburgh and throw in a fumble recovery or interception deep in their territory and instead of 21-9, it very well may be 16-14 Bears...a typical week for them...they got run on for sure, but depending on the other team to make mistakes based on a pressure defense so you can score is just not the way to win in the playoffs...still, this season has been much more than expected...and our defense is signed long term

Tom

Quote:
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 05:06 PM
The Victim Newbie

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerkMX
Sorry, i didn't mean the defense alone was exposed, but rather that the team as a whole...you just can't depend on your defense to score for you week in and week out...truthfully, that is the ONLY thing that separated the game defensively from any other...take one of those touchdown drives by Pittsburgh and throw in a fumble recovery or interception deep in their territory and instead of 21-9, it very well may be 16-14 Bears...a typical week for them...they got run on for sure, but depending on the other team to make mistakes based on a pressure defense so you can score is just not the way to win in the playoffs...still, this season has been much more than expected...and our defense is signed long term
\

I don't agree with you entirely. I do agree that the bears offense is bad, but I don't think it's terrible. It's a few players from good actually. With guys like Thomas Jones and Adrian peterson. Bernard Berriman, and Moose. We do need a Tight end, and we NEED a QB. Now maybe Kyle Orton comes into his own over the offseason and becomes our guy. Drew Brees didn't have a great start in SD, Eli didn't have a great start in NY, and if I remember right Payton didn't have a great first year in IND either. To doom Kyle Orton forever isn't fair, to say he isn't our guy RIGHT now is. But like Flinchy said, that is a mute point. Rex isn't 100% leaving us with little options. The defense is good, not perfect, and against a strong offense, like Cincy, Den, IND, or Sea we would be in deep trouble because our offense simply can't keep our defense off the field long enough to recharge. We need to become a clock control offense if we expect to run deep in the playoffs. just rememeber what PIT did last year with a rookie, and what Baltimore did with Brad Johnson although both were better all around teams then we are

<-- Chris

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Grammaton Cleric

Sportbike: 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
Years Riding: Since 07-01-2001
How you found us: Google, I believe

Send a message via AIM to MrBusa Send a message via Yahoo to MrBusa
While I am in the Grossman camp, he nor Orton will save the day. The ENTIRE offense sucks, from Ron Tuner's play calling all the way down to the line. It's going to take more than just a QB to get into the playoffs.

-- Matthew --

"I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in the Universe" - Jango Fett
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 05:10 PM
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBusa
While I am in the Grossman camp, he nor Orton will save the day. The ENTIRE offense sucks, from Ron Tuner's play calling all the way down to the line. It's going to take more than just a QB to get into the playoffs.
MIN is our only threat at this point and they have a tough three games left that they realistically have to win all of them or have us drop them all...

they play the steelers next week
baltimore after that and finally us on the final week of the season.

If we win one more game and they lose one they are out.

<-- Chris

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 08:17 PM
Grid Marshall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
\

To doom Kyle Orton forever isn't fair, to say he isn't our guy RIGHT now is.
That's basically what i'm saying...i'm a Big Ten guy and Orton's about my age...i know the guy's a stud and i stick up for him right now...it's just all this talk about SUPER BOWL irks me a little...they're just not that good yet...

Tom

Quote:
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 08:20 PM
Grid Marshall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBusa
The ENTIRE offense sucks, from Ron Tuner's play calling all the way down to the line. It's going to take more than just a QB to get into the playoffs.
I think that's a bit of an overstatement...in today's mediocre version of the NFL, they're good enough to make the playoffs...which i think is sad...as for Turner, i think he's doing a serviceable job for what he's got...the coaching staff as a whole...save for accepting that penalty on 4th down yesterday!

Tom

Quote:
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 05:21 PM

Sportbike: 13 rmz 450 2012 Street Glide
Years Riding: Long time
How you found us: Baldor

Go Steelers

John
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 05:28 PM
Grid Marshall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaz
Go Steelers

John
boooo, BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Daaaaaaaaaaaaa Bears!

Tom

Quote:
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
\

I don't agree with you entirely. I do agree that the bears offense is bad, but I don't think it's terrible. It's a few players from good actually. With guys like Thomas Jones and Adrian peterson. Bernard Berriman, and Moose. We do need a Tight end, and we NEED a QB. Now maybe Kyle Orton comes into his own over the offseason and becomes our guy. Drew Brees didn't have a great start in SD, Eli didn't have a great start in NY, and if I remember right Payton didn't have a great first year in IND either. To doom Kyle Orton forever isn't fair, to say he isn't our guy RIGHT now is. But like Flinchy said, that is a mute point. Rex isn't 100% leaving us with little options. The defense is good, not perfect, and against a strong offense, like Cincy, Den, IND, or Sea we would be in deep trouble because our offense simply can't keep our defense off the field long enough to recharge. We need to become a clock control offense if we expect to run deep in the playoffs. just rememeber what PIT did last year with a rookie, and what Baltimore did with Brad Johnson although both were better all around teams then we are
The offense is really bad. There is no denying it. Thomas Jones is a servicable back, but we need a back with breakaway speed or a bruiser that can run the ball 35 times a game without breaking down. Peterson is a decent power runner but his speed is terrible and his vision is also lacking.

Our OL is old across the board. It's a miracle they have held up as well as they have. Kruetz is not as good as people make him out to be. They are all servicable but none of them are true stud type players.

Our WR core is terrible. Moose is a good receiver but his hands have been crap this year. Everyone else is a raw kid who has proven nothing in the NFL. They are terrible route runners and never seem to be in synch with the QB.

I don't even want to talk about our TE's. They stink so bad that teams hardly bother to cover them.

Then there is our great QB situation. A rookie or a three year injury prone rookie. Tough call to make.

I think the offense has SOME potential, but I have yet to see them live up to it. They make a play or two here and there but good players make plays all the damn time. We don't have enough play makers on offense. On defense we are loaded with play makers, but on offense we have yeoman type sled dogs. The more I see our offense the more I think drafting Benson was a terrible idea. Even if he is everything we think he is, he is not a play maker but a grinder. We needed a Ronnie Brown or a Cadiallac Williams.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 05:22 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcrx
Worst Defense performance all year.

Good defense doesn't win ball games It will prevent you from losing them, and will help a mediocre offensive. No one should be shocked that the Bears lost this game!

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runner
Something needs to be done. I can't remember the last offensive TD. It's just too much pressure on D.
I beleive the stat was they hadn't scored a TD in the last 29 possessions.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger
Yeah, it was a wakeup call..............

Your kidding even a neophyte like myself could see that the Bears have been outclassed in most of the games this season! I'm really annoyed with myself, I am reducing myself to a suck up with the wifey....watching these games with her, taking ball room dancing lessions Just to score brownie points to put a Brutale in the garage this summer Football season can't end fast enough

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 10:14 AM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC1957
taking ball room dancing lessions Just to score brownie points to put a Brutale in the garage this summer

Ballroom dancing?!?!?!

You may be forgetting it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker
Ballroom dancing?!?!?!

You may be forgetting it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
You obviously have never pissed off my wife

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 04:01 PM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

Quote:

lol
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
She must be Italian? I have the same situation. If you buy the bike and need to hide it, i'd be happy to stash it in my garage!

P.S. - Defense does win championships on a regular basis, but it can't do it all on its own. A great defense makes the offense better and vice-versa so it's tough to say just what makes a team great overlal but i'd take a great D and AVERAGE O over the opposite anyday. Our problem is that we have a TERRIBLE O and a GREAT D.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 12:12 PM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

Good news, Bobby Wade cut, sent to TN Titans. The defense just got some relief.

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode