Bears vs. Falcons Recap - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Bears vs. Falcons Recap

The Bears made a statement win tonight beating the Atlanta Falcons by the score of 16-3. The Bears are now the second seed in the NFC and can clinch the NFC North with either a win over GB or a Minnesota loss next week. They can also guarantee a first round bye with two straight wins.

On Offense:
The biggest news of the night though came in the second half when Rex Grossman returned to lead the offense after Kyle Orton was ineffective in the first half. Grossman provided a spark by leading two long scoring drives and extending the Bears Lead to 16-3 in the third quarter. While it's still too early to name him the QB messiah, there is no doubt that the Offense runs better under Rex than it does under Kyle Orton. All of Chicago should pat Orton on the back and thank him for playing as well as a rookie can be expected, but we have high hopes this season and Rex is a better QB at this point in time. The stat line says it all: Rex 9/16 for 93 yards and an INT. Orton 2/10 for 12 yards.

T. Jones ran the ball well tonight with two nice long break away runs. He ended with 91 yards on 27 carries. TJ seemed determined to carry the load tonight as A. Peterson only got 3 carries on the night. Bernard Berrian provided a nice spark early with a 37 yard end-around that set up the go-ahead field goal in the second quarter.

Overall, it looks like the offense just got a whole lot better. They are not going to light teams up ala the Colts but they don't have to with their defense. It's going to be tough to beat the Bears if they can keep the ball over 30 mins a game and put 20 points on the board from the offense.

On Defense:
Total domination is the phrase that comes to mind. The way the Steelers beat the Bears last week is the way they beat the Falcons tonight. The Falcons could get nothing going all night long and Urlacher did a tremendous job on Ron Mexico. After a few early hits, Vick looked cautious and tentative the rest of the night.

The stats on the defense at home are just ridiculous. They have allowed only one TD in the last six home games. If the road to the superbowl goes though Chicago, we just MIGHT get a ticket to Detroit this year. The Bears have to hope that Seattle chokes either the last two games or early in the playoffs.

Overall, in an important home game coming off a physically and mentally tough loss, the Bears put up an A+ performance tonight. They made a statement that they are contenders and not pretenders by sweeping the NFC South which could be the best division in the NFC. I don't think the Bears are ready to beat the best in the AFC, but I think they can beat anyone in the NFC except the Seahawks in Seattle. The Bears will play a tough game next week in Green Bay. If Grossman and the offense play well the next two weeks and the defense gets healthy then I am going to be VERY excited about the playoffs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 01:22 AM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

^^^
That's exactly what I was going to say Nice writeup!!

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..

Last edited by whiteSeatEnvy; 12-19-2005 at 01:37 AM.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 05:21 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteSeatEnvy
^^^
That's exactly what I was going to say Nice writeup!!
+1 Rich nice job....trying to be a sports writer?

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
My jaw dropped when I saw Rex walk onto the field, all of the sudden the game got very interesting. It was like the rocky IV soundtrack was playing in the backround and i was watching a team come back to life. I forgot how awesome a bears game could be.

Our defense was making me laugh my ass off last night. the Falcons were just pistol whiped into submission from the very start. you could see the anger in Vicks eyes and watching thier coach get frustrated to the point of getting a penalty was just friggin classic. Some of those guys have got to be waking up this morning, feeling strage pains and asking "How the... what the hell is....... oh ya, Urlacher"

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 07:37 AM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few
How you found us: SBN

Great game, i thought the line of the night was the ESPN guy, talking about Urlacher, "Someone better block him before he kills someone." Best half of football I've seen in a long time

Eric
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 07:50 AM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard_002000
Great game, i thought the line of the night was the ESPN guy, talking about Urlacher, "Someone better block him before he kills someone." Best half of football I've seen in a long time
I was laughin my ass off when I heard that one.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 07:59 AM
-+-+-+-+-+-

Sportbike: 2002 YZF-R1
Years Riding: A few days since yesterday
How you found us: Another website

Awesome game. If Grossman can keep playing like that, the Bears are a force ot be reckoned with.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Human lawn dart

Sportbike: 03 ninja 6r 05 ttr-230 04 klx300r
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: I know all

Send a message via AIM to rdrash
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony
Some of those guys have got to be waking up this morning, feeling strage pains and asking "How the... what the hell is....... oh ya, Urlacher"

I'm not short. I'm aerodynamically efficient.

Anti Helmet Laws Pro Darwinism
MotoGP 200 mph no roll cage
NESBA # 599
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 09:39 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard_002000
i thought the line of the night was the ESPN guy, talking about Urlacher, "Someone better block him before he kills someone." Best half of football I've seen in a long time
AMEN Brother!! I just about fell off the lazy boy on that one! Also "Brian Uralcher is 6'4" and weighs 250 pounds and is STILL the fastest guy on defense!" The other one i liked as well-- "Look at Urlacher drop to the side and cover the corner slot! He used to play that position in school ya know, If it was any other linebacker lined up out there you know the offense would think immediate 6! He just brings a whole new dimension."

NOW___

This was my FIRST Bears game on my new HDef TV and all i can say is WOW!-- What have i been missing all these years?? Its incredible! When the running back left that divot on the field and they showed it on tv my wife and I were awestruck to see the roots of the grass blades under the dirt hanging!!
If you do not have High Definition you really should......You REALLY should!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labdog
AMEN Brother!! I just about fell off the lazy boy on that one! Also "Brian Uralcher is 6'4" and weighs 250 pounds and is STILL the fastest guy on defense!" The other one i liked as well-- "Look at Urlacher drop to the side and cover the corner slot! He used to play that position in school ya know, If it was any other linebacker lined up out there you know the offense would think immediate 6! He just brings a whole new dimension."

NOW___

This was my FIRST Bears game on my new HDef TV and all i can say is WOW!-- What have i been missing all these years?? Its incredible! When the running back left that divot on the field and they showed it on tv my wife and I were awestruck to see the roots of the grass blades under the dirt hanging!!

Yes the announcers were just in love with urlacher last night, and its completely understandable, the guy was amazing. He was hittin people like they keyed his car.

Oh and on the hidef thing, amazing isnt it, you just cant explain it to people, it really is like looking through a window, only better.

- Ronald Reagan

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Oh and on the hidef thing, amazing isnt it, you just cant explain it to people, it really is like looking through a window, only better.
Especially when they experience hi-def by going to Best Buy or somewhere and the best picture they see is an upscaled 480p dvd. A true 1080i picture is a joy to behold.

As for Grossman... It was amazing to see the entire offense CHANGE the moment he came on the field. I was hopping up and down myself because I've been arguing with people left and right that Grossman will be the guy that needs to be in the playoffs or the bears aren't going to win... "No, no. Kyle has been keeping things steady all season. They don't want to change the formula now..." Baloney. The defense has won almost all the games. Ortman doesn't produce. Period. Grossman walks on the field and the offense turns into a real team for the first time all season.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
i got a recap for you:

it was fucking cold. the crowd went nuts when rexy came out, about as nuts as they went everytime they told us the temperature. good times!

Chris
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 10:17 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

now a view from the 50 yard line (yes it was cold)

warm ups: it was interesting to see Orton and Grossman warming up with the receivers side by side. Grossman was leading the receivere and Orton was either throwing at them or behind them, never in front.
First half: uggghhhh, being at the game gave me a whole new perspective on what really is going on in the game. being over it, lets you see how the plays unfold. And as a person who wanted to see Orton succeed, its just not going to happen this year. He clearly is not confident throwing the ball, affraid of making a mistake. He does not do a good job of reading the field and again his passes where behind, over and under his receivers 98% of the time. I was shocked he was not pulled earlier seen he could not get the team off the goal line.
Second HalfFinally, they put Grossman in, immediatly hits for 2 good passes, hitting his mark perfectly. there was an obvious flow to the offense, the first ive seen all year. All that being said, Muhhamed needs to catch better, hes dropped to many passes this year and he did again last night, missing out on i counted 3 that he should have caught.
The DefenseEven more impressive live then on tv, though i couldnt keep up with the run plays to see why they seem to over play them, only thing i can think of that they can improve on.
It was cold, but it was fun, i stayed till the 2 minute warning

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 10:19 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook
i got a recap for you:

it was fucking cold. the crowd went nuts when rexy came out, about as nuts as they went everytime they told us the temperature. good times!
I got a recap for you too......

It was fucking beautiful! The family & friends went nuts when rexy came out too, about as nuts as we looked at the fans everytime they told us the temperature! Great times! It was a comfortable 72 Degrees, 10' from the bathroom with no wait, 12' from the fridge holding the pitcher of beer no less! Oh and i made a few bucks from the sale of bears tickets!

J/K Bro! It was too cold for me and i HAD to see the Hi Def thing!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 10:20 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

Quote:
i got a recap for you:

I love the "there is a time out" (where??) "On the field" (oooohh!!!) good times

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 10:23 AM
Ride Red, DO WORK SON!!

Sportbike: Rockets & Harleys
Years Riding: Me love you long time
How you found us: CLSB DECAL

View from Champions in Joliet:

Place was warm
Beer was cold
Chics & wings were !!HOT!!
Urlacher rocked
and I let my 15 year old drive home cause, yeah!!!!!

Go Bears!!
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 10:58 AM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGoFast
I love the "there is a time out" (where??) "On the field" (oooohh!!!) good times
after sitting through 3 seasons of that, I HATE IT... that was a champaigne tradition that got brought back with them, one I wish that would have stayed in southern IL...

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 10:59 AM
-+-+-+-+-+-

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
after sitting through 3 seasons of that, I HATE IT... that was a champaigne tradition that got brought back with them, one I wish that would have stayed in southern IL...
I remember them doing that before they were in Southern IL...
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 11:09 AM
The Victim Newbie

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyhole
I remember them doing that before they were in Southern IL...
I have been going to games since I was 5. THEY never did that before the year that they were in memorial stadium

thanks vCook

<-- Chris

Last edited by clearwaterms; 12-19-2005 at 11:17 AM.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have been going to games since I was 5. THEY never did that before the year that they were in soldiers field
you mean memorial stadium.

Chris
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 11:15 AM

Sportbike: 2002
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: sbn- ran into 20bikes riding

He means the 'new' Soldiers Field
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 11:16 AM
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
you mean memorial stadium.
yes, sorry...

<-- Chris

post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 11:17 AM
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead
He means the 'new' Soldiers Field
Soldier THERE IS NO S

<-- Chris

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 11:18 AM

That game made the NFC worried about this team.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Soldier THERE IS NO S
you put the S on first. That is a pet peeve of mine too, get it straight, noobie!!!

Chris
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 11:18 AM
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcrx
That game made the NFC worried about this team.
i don't think so, no more then the carolina game. We were expected to beat those guys...

<-- Chris

post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 11:19 AM

Sportbike: 2002
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: sbn- ran into 20bikes riding

Soldier Field

When did the Seahawks become a NFC team?

When Carolina and Jacksonville came in? Reallignment?
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 11:21 AM
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead
When did the Seahawks become a NFC team?

When Carolina and Jacksonville came in? Reallignment?
when they went to 4 divisions in conference. They switched the seahawks back to the NFC. The seattle seahawks were a NFC team first then an AFC team, now they are back to the NFC.

<-- Chris

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 11:32 AM
-+-+-+-+-+-

Quote:
I have been going to games since I was 5. THEY never did that before the year that they were in memorial stadium

thanks vCook
I guess I could be wrong, but I remember being at the last playoff game(last game at old Soldier Field) against the Eagles and they were doing it at the beginning of the game, but by the second half the bears were getting their asses handed to them and the crowds interest in playing that game was lost and they stopped doing it.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 01:41 PM
Grammaton Cleric

Sportbike: 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
Years Riding: Since 07-01-2001
How you found us: Google, I believe

Send a message via AIM to MrBusa Send a message via Yahoo to MrBusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labdog

NOW___

You and me both! I got my DLP HDTV about a month ago and watching a football game in HD is fricken awesome. Last week's MNF game was cool, with all of the snow that started to fall during the game. It was like watching a Christmas screen saver on a HDTV.

I'm also looking forward to watching 24 for the first time on FOX-HD.

-- Matthew --

"I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in the Universe" - Jango Fett

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode