Bears vs. Packers Recap - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Bears vs. Packers Recap

First off, sorry this is so damn late. Holidays are hell on the schedule.

The Bears clinched the second seed and a first round bye in the playoffs yesterday with a 24-14 win over the Packers in Green Bay. This is the first time the Bears have swept the Pack since 1991! Although the game against Minnesota is meaningless next week, if the Bears win they will have swept their division this year. That's impressive since all teams play tough in their own division.

On Offense:
Rex Grossman made an immediate impact on the offense by leading two scoring drives in the first half of the game. He connected with Berrian deep twice and once with Moose. He finished 11 of 23 for 166 yards and 1TD and 1INT. He should have had two TD's but Moose dropped a beauty of a 34 yard pass in the endzone on a key 4th and 1 late in the game. T. Jones went to work in the second half and ate up the clock to protect the lead. He finished with 105 yards and 1TD on 25 carries. Peterson also got 8 carries for 30 yards.

Overall the Offense looked markedly better than it has for most of the season. Ron Turner got a little conservative after going up 10 points or we probably would have put more points on the board. Green Bay was actually playing fairly good defense which makes the 17 points put up by the offense impressive by Bears standards.

On Defense:
The defense had a bit of an off day. The D-line was not controlling the point of attack and they were not getting pressure on Farve for most of the game. They didn't play terrible but they are certainly capable of playing better than they did yesterday. It looks like a trend is developing where the defense does not play nearly as well on the road as they do at home. Fortunately, Mike Brown should be back for the playoffs and his presense will be huge if we have to play on the road in the post season.

The highlights on the defensive side of the ball came mostly in the second half. Lance Briggs took a Farve INT 10 yards to the endzone for his third defensive score against GB in his career. The secondary came up with a few picks as well with Chris Harris taking two gimme picks and Peanut Tillman making a great catch for a pick. The dline also woke up on the last drive of the game when GB was threatening by sacking Farve twice to end the game.

The Bears survived a scare late in the game after Antonio Chatman returned a punt 85 yards for a TD. On their next possession, Farve executed an 8 play 65 yard FG scoring drive against the mind-numbing prevent defense. I still don't understand why Rivera would put the defense in prevent mode only up by 10 points. After going 3 and out, the Pack got the ball back with 1:26 on the clock and moved into scoring range before Tank Johnson and Alex Brown registered back to back sacks to effectively end the game.

Overall:
Green Bay played tougher than expected and the Bears still pulled out a solid win on the road. The offense showed a lot of improvement but still didn't look quite playoff ready due to some stupid drops and the inability to convert third downs. The defense was a bit off but solid enough to get the job done due to some turnovers and two missed FGs by Ryan Longwell. Special teams gave up a big TD return and didn't generate any big returns of their own. Yet somehow after all of that, the Bears still won the game. They will have to play better if they want to get to the superbowl, but I'm confident that they can play better. Luckily for them, there are not any really great teams in the NFC so I am optimistic that they have a solid chance at the superbowl this year. However, I don't see them beating any of the top teams in the AFC like the Colts, Patriots or Broncos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 02:15 AM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 06:41 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Rich

Quote:
Green Bay played tougher than expected and the Bears still pulled out a solid win on the road.
Were we watching the same game Solid win....I don't think so, two missed field goals, that even a mediocre high school football team could make Don't get me wrong, I'm a Bears supporter, but eventually the luck will run out and then the fans will be disappointed The Bears cannot continue playing mediocre football, 24-17 against the Packers, wasn't really a victory that anyone expected, the Bears had oppurtunites to stick to the Packers and let them go. I've been disappointed with the Bears' last 3 games.

Rick

On the bright side....I got Diane to watch some MotoGP races from the last season, and she might give up on football and spend her time (and mine also) watching that instead of football

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 07:37 AM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC1957
Rich

Were we watching the same game Solid win....I don't think so, two missed field goals, that even a mediocre high school football team could make Don't get me wrong, I'm a Bears supporter, but eventually the luck will run out and then the fans will be disappointed The Bears cannot continue playing mediocre football, 24-17 against the Packers, wasn't really a victory that anyone expected, the Bears had oppurtunites to stick to the Packers and let them go. I've been disappointed with the Bears' last 3 games.

Rick

On the bright side....I got Diane to watch some MotoGP races from the last season, and she might give up on football and spend her time (and mine also) watching that instead of football
The bears were 7 point favorites, we won by 7 points. As far as vegas was concerned we did as well as expected. The two field goals, the first one should have been easy, but the second, a 45 yard attempt outside in the cold is not a gimmie, sure maybe in a dome kicking off perfect turf, but that wasn't the case...

GO BEARS

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
The bears were 7 point favorites, we won by 7 points. As far as vegas was concerned we did as well as expected. The two field goals, the first one should have been easy, but the second, a 45 yard attempt outside in the cold is not a gimmie, sure maybe in a dome kicking off perfect turf, but that wasn't the case...

GO BEARS

I didn't know the spread, but I can't believe it was 7 against the Packers. And I have seen the kicker for the Barrington Broncos make a 45 yarder in the rain two years ago, I couldn't believe it, the kid has gone onto college on a scholarship...soccer no less. So if a senior highschool football player can make it in the rain, I fully expect a professional to do it also.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 09:33 AM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
Well I'm officially rooting for the bears now since the vikings suck again (not a bears fan, just rooting for them out of the teams that are in it). Moose has got to stop dropping the ball. That fourth down was a guttsy and good call and Rex made a perfect pass.

The holder for GB was new and he wasn't doing a good job. On both the missed FGs you could see on the replay that he missed the spot that he was aiming for when he put the ball down.

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo
Well I'm officially rooting for the bears now since the vikings suck again (not a bears fan, just rooting for them out of the teams that are in it). Moose has got to stop dropping the ball. That fourth down was a guttsy and good call and Rex made a perfect pass.
I'm more concerned about that than I am about the Bears not putting the Pack away early. The last thing Rex needs right now is to lose confidence in his go-to receiver.

Rick, a lot of people feel the same way that you do. That the Bears are not blowing anyone out and they are playing not-to-lose instead of to-win football. That luck is the big thing keeping this season going. Of course there is an element of luck in regards to injuries and the way the ball bounces, but the Bears definately are following a plan this season and it is a very simple old plan that has worked for decades of NFL football. Run the ball, generate turnovers and play red-zone defense.

I think they are being conservative, perhaps a little too much on offense, because they have faith in their defense to win games in the 4th quarter and keep other teams out of the endzone. I thought the offense could have put up another TD or two if they needed it, but Turner decided to play it safe and eat up the clock instead. I do know that nobody wants to come to Chicago for a playoff game against our defense and the way they are hitting people.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 09:52 AM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
who are the teams right now that we stand to play, with the by and assuming no upsets, we play the 3rd ranked division winner correct? does that mean the giants / or bucs right now?

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 10:02 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

Quote:
Rich

Rick

FYI they said the same about the White Sox and look what happen, its there year!!!!!!

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

The most likely scenario would be the Bucaneers although there is a chance that it could be the Giants or the Panthers. I actually prefer our chances against them than the Redskins. I think the Redskins could shock a lot of teams in the playoffs with the way they are playing right now.

The seedings right now are:
1. Seattle
2. Chicago
3. Tampa Bay
4. Giants
5. Carolina
6. Washington

The only other team that has a chance is Dallas but it will take a lot of help.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGoFast
FYI they said the same about the White Sox and look what happen, its there year!!!!!!

True Jim, and me being a "closet Sox fan" was very pleased! FYI The only reason I "picked" the White Soxs as "my" team, was the colour of the uniform With this kind of attitude it becomes very hard to be a Bears supporter because of the pukey colours they have It's like, Northwestern, who can cheer for a team that plays in "gay purple" really

Anyway, back to the Bears, they make it extremely difficult for someone like me (a person who is watching the game, because his wife thinks it's quality time together) to cheer for them, when they let the simplest of plays, slip thru their fingers

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 02:19 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

Quote:
Anyway, back to the Bears, they make it extremely difficult for someone like me (a person who is watching the game, because his wife thinks it's quality time together) to cheer for them, when they let the simplest of plays, slip thru their fingers

yeah we compare this to watching a cub game

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode