Bears vs. Panthers Recap - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Bears vs. Panthers Recap

The Bears went one and done yesterday dropping their opening playoff game to the Panthers by the score of 29-21. The story of the day was Steve Smith torching the Bears for 12 catches, 218 yards and 2TDs. He did as much by himself as most teams did against us all season.

On Offense:
The only bright side to yesterdays loss was the fact that Grossman kept the Bears in the game with three long scoring drives. He finished only 17/41 for 192 yards with a TD and a INT, but would have been much better if not for a plethora of dropped balls by Moose and Gage who both played very poorly all game. Berrian played very well before leaving the game in the second half with a hip pointer. It's possible to think that our offense will be much improved next year with a healthy Grossman, the return of Mark Bradley and Cedric Benson and perhaps a new TE.

The bad news about the offense yesterday is that they threw the ball 41 times. Playing from behind, Ron Turner abandoned the run way to quickly and started airing it out right from the start of the game. The coaches in general did a terrible job preparing the team for the Panthers and Ron Turner needs an ass kicking after only rushing the ball 26 times.

On Defense:
They saved the worst performance for the playoffs. It's hard to decide where to begin, but lets go with the secondary. Carolina decided to avoid Nathan Vasher all game and in the process they tore apart every other defensive back on our roster. Tillman, Harris, Thompson, Brown, Azumah and Green all were torched on a regular basis yesterday by Jake Delhomme and Steve Smith. Brown left the game after the first quarter with a reaggrivated calf injury. It's looking like the Bears need 2 or even 3 more players in the secondary for next season. Vasher and Brown are solid, but everyone else could use an upgrade.

The DL also put in a stinky performance. Carolina went to a quick passing game and the DL got no pressure. Ogunleye got the only sack on Delhomme. The DL did a decent job against the run but they needed to get their hands up and disrupt that quick passing game.

The LB crew played a good game as usual. Urlacher, Briggs and even Hillenmeyer were making a lot of plays. Urlacher had a sweet tip-to-himself interception that was the defensive highlight for the Bears.

Finally, Ron Rivera needs a serious ass kicking for not adjusting to what Carolina was doing. It was obvious that Smith needed to be double teamed and the only guy on the field who could stop him was Nathan Vasher. Instead of freelancing Vasher to switch to cover Smith, he left players like Tillman, Thompson and Harris on him. His inexperience showed big time yesterday.

Overall:
It's not a real shocker to most people that the Bears lost this game. They lack playoff experience and they are a very young team. However, it's a total shocker that the defense played as poorly as they did. Flat out the defense lost this game for the Bears and it ended their season. There is a lot of hope for next year as the Bears are in good salary cap position and have most of their key players signed. Look for the Bears to try and improve the CB, S, TE, WR and OL positions in the offseason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
It wasnt a huge shocker but I was really hoping for the best. They did not bring thier A game and did not deserve a win with the playign I was seeing. But I did see some shining moments, and this team is a rough diamond right now. with some polishing in the future it will shine.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
no mention of special teams? maynard was kicking like crapola. we were getting hammed on field position.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 10:49 AM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Yes, special teams was living up to thier name. walking around in helmets was probably a good thng for them.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 11:19 AM
To Punish and Enslave

Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website

Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
Next year?

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Administrator

I hate to sound like a cubs fan, but I will say it, "theres always next year"

- Ronald Reagan

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
Well... You live by the defense... you die by the defense. I am glad to see Grossman step up big time and at least keep the game interesting. I hope that the team matures and works even better next season.

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 05:39 PM
To Punish and Enslave

Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website

Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
At lease they stayed in the game and didn't give up

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 06:24 PM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
At lease they stayed in the game and didn't give up

+1 If Orton would have been in the game, the score would have probably been 36 to 6.

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 06:32 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Yeah, i heard a lot of the radio morons harping on how bad the OFFENSE was??...i thought that puting up 21 points against the no. 3 defense in the league was good enough and more than expected. The defense did not give them the normal turnover induced gift score...bottom line IMO, the offense made the adjustments at the half...i think Turner did a fine job...the defense did not...after the half, they came back out with the same ill-fated game plan, and got lit up.

I'm not gonna overreact here...good season, should have been better, definately sucked ass that they lost on Carolina's terms by exploiting the defense. I expected more there...but as for Grossman??, not bad for his first playoff appearance. Remember, most QB's suck in their first postseason game...Rothlisberger was rated at a 61 last year...this year??, 120.6.

Looking forward to next year

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook
no mention of special teams? maynard was kicking like crapola. we were getting hammed on field position.
Good point. I was too disappointed in the defense and the coaches to rag on the special teams, but they stunk it up. Carolina was getting 30 yard returns on every kickoff. It's possible Maynard was trying to be extra carefull not to outkick his coverage since it was Steve Smith returning punts, but he still kicked like crap. Those shanks of his were completely out of character for him.

I think a lot of people are divided on Grossman's performance. While he did indeed look bad in the first half, the TD drive he led to start the second half was the most impressive offensive drive i've seen this season from the Bears. It was a key drive at a key point in the game and he got the job done. I still feel the same way about Rex as I did when he first came out. He's not going to be Peyton Manning or Carson Palmer, but he could be good enough to take us to the super bowl. He's a natural leader and he is capable of making big plays. The biggest disappointment from him was that pick at the end of the game. They baited him intro throwing over the middle and he got burned trying to beat them. Hopefully, he'll learn or make a better throw next time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode