Bears vs. 49ers recap - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Bears vs. 49ers recap

The game isn't even over yet, but it's just scrubs going right now so i'll do this update early.

Rusty and predictable on both sides of the ball. It wasn't a pretty first quarter for the starters. On offense, they looked out of synch as a unit. Grossman was forcing plays and not delivering the ball smoothly. He finished something like 3 of 14 for 47 yards with a fumble that was returned for a TD. Mark Bradley also coughed up a fumble after a nice completion over the middle. The line didn't open any holes for A. Peterson but they were playing without Olin Kreutz. They scored a grand total of -10 points as the two fumbles both resulted in points. Very pathetic showing overall, but then again the Bears would rather run the ball with Benson and Jones so the offense was out of it's usual gameplan from the start of the game.

On defense, Rivera went with the base package the whole quarter and really didn't blitz or mix up coverage at all. They didn't give up any points directly but looked soft against the quick passing routes and the bootlegs that SF kept running. No turnovers were forced. Vasher got the wind knocked out of him and apparently strained his back but it's not expected to be serious so he should be back quickly. Overall, a very mediocre effort but they were playing a base scheme the whole time which limited them.

I wouldn't panic as the Bears clearly treated this game as a warm up while SF was playing more like it was a real game. The Bears meet up with SF again during the regular season so it's no real surprise that Lovie didn't want to show them anything. I am concerned that Grossman looked so bad. He really needs to build some confidence and comfort before the season starts. I also worry that Charles Tillman looked lost at times and didn't have good form in pass coverage. Look for improvement from both during preseason or else Lovie is going to have to make some changes.

The only bright spots for the Bears were Brian Griese and Rashied Davies. Griese looked very sharp and efficient running the offense with the second unit. He showed good accuracy and good decision making which are going to be needed if Grossman continues to struggle. Rashied Davies showed good hands and an explosive burst getting downfield quickly against press coverage. The highlight of the night came on a play when SF jumped offsides and Griese immediately looked downfield and found Davies for a 40yd TD strike. He could be a very pleasant surprise this season with Berrian and Bradley fighting injuries and inconsistency.

It's only the first preseason game and the Bears didn't put forth their best effort so don't read much into this game. We really won't know much about the starting offense until the third or fourth preseason game. By then, Jones and Benson should be back and the whole first unit will get more playing time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 12:12 AM

Sportbike: 2002
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: sbn- ran into 20bikes riding

Grossman sucks! That is all...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Rex Banner

Sportbike: 99 SV650, z50r
Years Riding: A few years
How you found us: A tranny told me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead
Grossman sucks! That is all...
with any luck he'll get hurt in preseason again, ha ha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Hellfish
with any luck he'll get hurt in preseason again, ha ha
I'm normally quite supportive of Grossman, but even in my most homerific state I cannot be excited about what happend last night. Griese might be our saviour this year......
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 11:41 PM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
My favorite thing about preseason

THE OTHER QUARTERBACK.

Let me see

PT Willis
Moses Moreno
Steve Stenstrom
Chris Chandler

I know I am missing a few others but that is all for now.
Not happy about what Grossman did but I have more faith in him then Greisse don't even mention Orton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT

Last edited by Paladin; 08-12-2006 at 11:44 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode