Bears vs. Chargers Recap - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Bears vs. Chargers Recap

Bears won tonight 24-3 in a blow out that turned into a defensive showcase from both teams in the first half. Brian Urlacher set the tone of the game early by picking off Phillip Rivers and taking it 70 yards for a TD. Then Rashied Davis took a kickoff return the whole length of the field to put the Bears up 14-3. Brian Griese added a TD pass to Justin Gage in the third quarter and Robbie Gould connected on a 49 yd field goal to cap the scoring.

On Offense:
The first unit stunk it up yet again failing to score against SD. The OL looked lost the whole night against a very talented Charger front seven. Rex went 7-14 for 83 yards with 1 INT and 0 TDs, but he did have a couple passes dropped on him. He looked better than he did in the SF game, but still wasn't crisp or accurate with a few of his passes. The INT came on a terrible fly route to TE Gabe Reid into double coverage. Grossy floated the ball up for an easy pick.

A. Peterson also looked pretty bad tonight. He failed to pick up a few blitzes and had trouble finding any room to run. His whiffs cost Grossman a few hits which luckily he got up from without injury. Berrian and Bradley didn't play too many snaps, but both looked average at best. Berrian had a slightly better game catching a nice out pattern for a first down. Rashied Davis dropped two very catchable balls.

On Defense:
The D showed up with some energy tonight. SD never got anything going on offense and other than two breakdowns on third and long, the D did a perfect job tonight. The only player who looked really bad was Chris Harris who whiffed a tackle like he was still in practice. Urlacher and Ogunleye both played outstanding games tonight. No worries about the D after tonight, although SD was playing without most of their WR's and all-pro RB Ladanian Tomlinson.

On Special Teams:
Very good game by the special teamers tonight. One breakdown on kickoff coverage to open the game, but they settled down after that. Hester and Davis both looked very good returning punts and kicks respectively. Gould connected on a nice long 49 yd FG and looked good on kick offs.

Overall:
Great game by the D and ST's but the Offense is still a big question mark. It's still tough to grade them since they don't have their best weapons in Jones and Benson, but what they have done the last two games doesn't bode well. The only bright spot has been Brien Griese who led another TD drive tonight on his only series of the game. I do feel a whole lot better this year knowing that Griese is there if Rex gets hurt or plays terrible. This team is good enough to get to the SB if they can run an efficient offense and not turn the ball over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 11:29 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

Im fearful that this will be a repeat of last year. The defense will keep us in all games and the offense will stink again. Im losing patience with Sexy Rexy. Its time to step up and put the excuses in a trunk somewhere.

Random thoughts...
Urlacher will go nuts this year and win another defensive player of the year award

I want #20 to be the starting RB.

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

I know Grossman has looked bad, but I do think we should give him a chance to run the whole offense before we pull the plug on him. It's tough to run this offense without Jones and Benson and Moose. Also, SD doesn't have the best secondary in the league but their front seven had pressure on Rex all night.

I agree with both of your random thoughts. Urlacher somehow keeps getting better every year. He said he was looking to up his INT and Forced Fumble numbers this year. I could see him ending with 3-4 INTS and 3-4 FF's and maybe 5-6 sacks......Monster Year!

Jones and Benson should both get 10-15 carries a game but Jones should still be the starter. I think defenses could be very tired in the fourth quarter if we can keep both backs fresh by splitting some time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 01:01 AM

I agree, Grossman looked bad at times when he missed a few targets, but they weren't Orton misses. He wasn't intentionally throwing any passes into the sidelines, he had confidence at least the he could make the throw. The throws me missed weren't off by much, but hopefully with practice and comfort he starts hitting those, because he did have a few great passes down field that looked like Orton's highlight reel from last season.

Either way, Griese looks great if we need him to step in.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 07:01 PM

How long will it take once the season to starts for people to be screaming for Rexy to be gone and Brian to come in ?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

One loss to GB would do the trick. Hell a lot of people are already screaming for Griese! Football provokes emotions as strong as politics, religion and war.....

I think management would stick with Grossman for about 2-3 losses in a row. They really want this kid to be the answer. But if he starts 2-3 and looks shakey, it's Griese time!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode