Bears vs. Browns Recap - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Bears vs. Browns Recap

The Bears closed their preseason out with a dominating victory over the Cleveland Browns by the score of 20-7. The starters on Offense only played two series and on Defense three series in an effort to keep all the key players healthy.

On Offense:
There has been a lot of people hollering lately for Brian Griese to be the starting quarterback. Rex Grossman's performance in tonights game should have quieted those people down. Grossman went 5/8 for 73 yards 1 TD and 0 INTs and put 10 points on the board. He would have put 14 points up if not for a dropped pass by Aierese Currie in the endzone. The first TD came after an awesome 54 yard punt return by Devin Hester to give the bears the ball at the Cleveland 20 yard line. After two plays and a first down, Rex found Desmond Clark wide open over the middle for a six yard score. On his second possesion, Rex drove the bears 67 yards on 10 plays in 4:41 to set up a 27 yard Robbie Gould FG. On 3rd and 8 from the 9 yard line, Rex found Currier in between defenders but he was unable to hold onto the ball.

Thomas Jones returned to the field for the first time this preseason and ran the ball for 14 yards on 6 carries. Desmond Clark had two key catches for 31 yards and a TD and Rashied Davis caught a key pass for 22 yards. The offensive line looked solid and the Bears didn't have a penalty in the first quarter.

Kyle Orton led two nice scoring drives in the second half, mainly behind the running of PJ Pope. Pope ended with 69 yards and a TD on 15 carries.

Overall, it was really important to see the 1st team Offense score twice and kill some clock. This game ought to get the Bears in the right mindset to go into Green Bay and open the regular season next Sunday.

On DEFENSE:

The first team defense forced two three and outs and gave up only one first down on their third posession. The looked as dominant as they did in 05 with consistent pressure on the QB and a solid run defense. No big plays, but they didn't get many chances. The return of Ian Scott was an important as it freed fellow DT Tommie Harris up to get into the backfield and disrupt plays.

On SPECIAL TEAMS:
Devin Hester is going to score this season. Probably more than once. This kid looked like lighting on his only returnable punt of the game. He eluded the first couple of tacklers before breaking the ball outside and would have found the endzone if he hadn't been forced to stop and cut back into the middle of the field. He still was only one armlength away from taking it in.

Robbie Gould looked good on kick offs registering his first touchback this year. He went 2/3 on FG attempts hitting from 27 and 28 yards but missing from 47 yards. His miss looked like a good kick but hooked left at the last minute.

OVERALL:
This was exactly the kind of game the Bears needed to close out the preseason. All of the starters looked good and the team seemed poised as a unit. I'm stoked for the season to open! My prediction.....Chicago 27 Green Bay 17!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 10:41 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

Great write up as always Flinch

Someone please help me warm up to Grossman - I cant
maybe its a little arrogance on his part, I like confidence but a little humility on his part would be good since hes been a broken down pack mule for 2 years

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 10:46 PM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

SPOILER!!!!

Awesome write up man.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weelpilot
Great write up as always Flinch

Someone please help me warm up to Grossman - I cant
maybe its a little arrogance on his part, I like confidence but a little humility on his part would be good since hes been a broken down pack mule for 2 years
Grossman knows what it takes to be a leader. Thats why everyone on the team wants him playing. It's also why he comes off as cocky sometimes. He's way more modest than our last headcase QB though.....Cade McNown.

It's unfortunate he has had injuries, but I think when healthy and if his receivers are catching the ball he can be a very good QB. He's not Peyton or Brady, but he can be a top 10 QB IMO. We just have to wait and see .......
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 05:22 AM

I hope the kid does well. He doesnt have to be brilliant as long as the defense holds up like they did last year. If they can score at least 2 throwing TD's in a game I think they can do well in this division this year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode