Bears vs. Packers Recap - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Bears vs. Packers Recap

The Bears leave Wisconsin tonight after delivering a complete ass whipping to the Green Bay Packers. The final score was 26-0 in favor of the Bears. This was the first road victory to open the season in the last 20 years or so for the Bears. It was also Brett Farve's first shut out ever! The Packers are certainly one of the worst teams in the NFL, but they are still and NFL team and teams rarely get shut out at home. It's still too early in the season to make projections, but the opener couldn't have gone much better than it did tonight.

ON OFFENSE:
All eyes were on Rex Grossman tonight and he delivered to the tune of 18/26 for 262 yards and 1TD and 1 INT. He kept the offense rolling the whole game hitting Moose and Des Clark for multiple key 3rd down conversions despite consistent pressure from GB the whole game. The TD came on their first posession with a 49 yd beauty to Bernard Berrian. The INT came early in the game on his only bad throw of the night with a blitzing Packer in his face from the 14 yard line of GB. The only down point for the offense tonight was settling for 4 FGs from the red zone. They were not able to pound the ball against GB's stacked line and Rex was unable to complete the drives into TD's.

Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson ran the ball a combined 32 times for 97 yards. GB was stacked up against the run all night which limited their effectiveness, but some rust was also apparent on both backs. Nothing to be worried about at this point, but they need to show better against an improved Detroit defense next week.

ON DEFENSE:
It's hard to do much better than pitching a shut out. GB never drove further than our 35 yard line! It was total domination and the only thing working for the Pack was the draw play after the Bears built a 13 point lead. Rookie Daniel Manning and Charles Tillman both notched interceptions in the fourth quarter. Rookie DE Mark Anderson had a nice sack along with Lance Briggs and Alex Brown. The Bears were getting great pressue from the front four all night. Urlacher was quiet tonight with only 4 tackles but thats just because GB game planned away from him the entire night.

ON SPECIAL TEAMS:
Devin Hester showed everyone why the Bears spent a 2nd round pick on a special teamer after returning a punt 84 yards for a TD. Robbit Gould continued his success from last year connecting on 4/4 FG attempts including a 39 and a 40 yarder. Coverage on both kick off and punts was solid although Charles Woodson did have one 28 yard return.

OVERALL:
This was as dominating a win as you are going to see in today's NFL. The Bears controlled all aspects of the game from start to finish and they did it at Lambeau Field! Next week the Bears face the Detroit Lions who nearly beat last year's NFC champions, the Seattle Seahawks, but lost 9-6 at home. Detroit's defense looked very fast and aggressive and should provide a much better game than the Packers did. I don't see Detroit playing as well in Chicago as they did at home so my prediction is for a 21 - 13 victory for the Chicago Bears!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Disappointed with red zone thought they were too safe after the pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 06:51 AM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Nice write up Flinchy. I would have wrote it up different though, and much shorter. Mine would read something like this:

Packers got pwned!

That is all.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 06:52 AM

Good game. Couldnt happen against a nicer team or QB Its just one game but it sure looked good to me.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 06:56 AM
1 piece at a time

Sportbike: Ninja ZX-6'DinoSaki'
Years Riding: Since I joined!
How you found us: teh intarwebz

Send a message via AIM to hexraptor Send a message via MSN to hexraptor Send a message via Yahoo to hexraptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger
Nice write up Flinchy. I would have wrote it up different though, and much shorter. Mine would read something like this:

Packers got pwned!

That is all.

- Steve
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 08:15 AM
gfx

Sportbike: 2012 Yamaha Yzf-R6
Years Riding: 10k+
How you found us: random url?

Send a message via AIM to gfx
i didn't get to see it cause i fell asleep, thanks for the write-up...

did anyone record this on their dvr? if so any chance i can get a copy on cd/dvd? really would like to see the full game and not only highlights.

-James
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 08:37 AM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
good exciting game, excellent right up flinchy.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

It was hard not to sound even more homer on this one since it was such a one-sided game. Kegger's write up nailed it!

Ron Turner and Grossman were both a little more cautious in the red zone after the interception. It's "possible" Rex was trying to throw that ball away and just didn't get it far enough, but it is exactly the type of forced throw he tends to make under pressure. Rex will throw picks trying to make big plays. I think the Bears had so much confidence in their defense that they were content to eat up the clock and take FG's if they got stopped. If you give the Defense good rest time by running the ball and eating up the clock, they are going to dominate like they did yesterday.

After calming down from last night, I think the brightest point of the game was that I don't remember ANY drops from the WR's! Drops killed us all last year and this preseason, but Moose and Clark were making great catches all day and Berrian caught the TD bomb cleanly in stride. Dropped balls on 3rd down hurt a team on both sides of the ball.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 10:11 AM
King Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
After calming down from last night, I think the brightest point of the game was that I don't remember ANY drops from the WR's!
Yeah, I was still holding my breath everytime Benson got the call.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 10:11 AM
VTwin FTW!

Sportbike: 2013 Ducati Diavel Cromo
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: Friend

GREAT GAME! The Bears played pretty well on offense, except for in the red zone. Defense played good too, but lets remember they beat a BAD Green Bay team with a quarterback who is done.

What I liked is that the Bears beat up a team they were supposed to beat up. That's usually the sign of a good team. Plus, I HATE THE PACKERS!!

Mike

"Life is all about ass ... either you are covering it, kicking it, kissing it, sitting on it or trying to get it."
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Recievers catching the ball was HUGE. If they can keep this up and avoid the rock-hands affliction they have shown in the past then we may have something here.

Chris
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 10:26 AM
Puppy Love!

Sportbike: 05' Gixxer 6
Years Riding: Grew up in the dirt, going on my 7th season on the street..
How you found us: Homer Simpson

Send a message via AIM to Gixx Send a message via Yahoo to Gixx
Such an awesome game!!! Moose is looking much better with his catches then last year, which is exciting. Benson is still looking a little off, but I think that it will get better for him. Anderson is fitting in perfectly with our D!! I'm really excited about Hester doing good things to our special teams!!! Overall, I am even more excited then I was last year, and last year I was pretty damn excited!!

KJ

Quote:
I'm here to chew some bubble gum, and kick some ass.......and I'm all out of bubblegum!!
MySpace
XBox Live - Gixx009

Last edited by Gixx; 09-11-2006 at 10:31 AM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 10:27 AM
King Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixx
Such an awesome game!!! Moose is looking much better with his catches then last year, which is exciting. Benson is still looking a little off, but I think that it will get better for him. Anderson is fitting in perfectly with our D!! I'm really excited about Hester being good things to our special teams!!! Overall, I am even more excited then I was last year, and last year I was pretty damn excited!!
Hear that Cerk?-GAME ON!

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 10:53 AM
a hollow voice says plugh

Sportbike: sold
Years Riding: legally- 7
How you found us: don't remember

Send a message via AIM to Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Zero
Where's the REX avatar?

Hester is going to be electrifying all season. I haven't seen speed like that since Tim Dwight in Iowa or Vinny Sutherland in Purdue. Hmmm, two white guys....

Anyway

I'm trying not to get too excited considering the Packers are probably the weakest they've been in 10-15 years. I'll take the win though.

Jaguars won too. woot.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 12:46 PM
SV650N

Sportbike: 2005 SV650SN
Years Riding: Since 1980
How you found us: craigslist

That game brought back memories of 1985 . . . . .

And to SHUT THEM OUT was the icing on the cake.

If this keeps up, I'm going to LOVE Sunday afternoons this fall/winter!
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 01:14 PM

Sportbike: CURRENTLY LOOKING
Years Riding: since I was 8
How you found us: The NET is MINE

I think pictures are better than words...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

(not from yesterday but still says it all) and I love your recaps! keep it up Flinch!

Logtar - John

My Blog - @Logtar - Google+
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerogta
Where's the REX avatar?
Rex is back!

Hester is going to break 3-4 TD returns this year before they finally stop punting the ball to him.

And yes Green Bay is a very bad team, but they were at home against their most hated rival. A LOT of NFL pundits picked the Pack to win this game. The Bookies only had us as 3.5 point favorites. Yet somehow we won by 26 in a shut out! It's a perfect opener IMO.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 03:24 PM
a hollow voice says plugh

Sportbike: sold
Years Riding: legally- 7
How you found us: don't remember

Send a message via AIM to Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Zero
Quote:
Originally uttered by Bill Shankly:
'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death.
I'm very disappointed with that attitude.
I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.'

Just noticed the quote in your signature. I believe Shankly was referring to the football played primarily with the feet, as in Liverpool FC football. I'm a huge Liverpool fan and his name just caught my eye.

It works for NFL football too.

Last edited by Zero; 09-11-2006 at 03:28 PM.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Bring it on!!!!

Sportbike: Honda F6B
Years Riding: Since 98
How you found us: Friend, Motobeagle-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashomon
That game brought back memories of 1985 . . . . .

And to SHUT THEM OUT was the icing on the cake.

If this keeps up, I'm going to LOVE Sunday afternoons this fall/winter!

November will define the team. If they can win in November they can be the NFC champs.

Anti-drama
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasguzzler
November will define the team. If they can win in November they can be the NFC champs.
Talking about November and rocking a V avatar. Nice
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 04:31 PM
The Sausage king

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: Since my mid-life crisis
How you found us: Hankered for a hunka cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
After calming down from last night, I think the brightest point of the game was that I don't remember ANY drops from the WR's! Drops killed us all last year and this preseason, but Moose and Clark were making great catches all day and Berrian caught the TD bomb cleanly in stride. Dropped balls on 3rd down hurt a team on both sides of the ball.
I held my breath on that pass, but Berrian clearly burned Harris and the Safety.
hmmmmm, however, shouldn't he look the ball into his hands? I'm nitpicking.....DA BEARS!

EDIT: The picture came out small. Check out the photo section:
http://www.chicagobears.com/photos/index.asp

Berrian doesn't appear to be looking the ball into his hands.

Da Bears!
Ducati
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelohere
I held my breath on that pass, but Berrian clearly burned Harris and the Safety.
hmmmmm, however, shouldn't he look the ball into his hands? I'm nitpicking.....DA BEARS!

EDIT: The picture came out small. Check out the photo section:
http://www.chicagobears.com/photos/index.asp

Berrian doesn't appear to be looking the ball into his hands.
You're right he sure doesn't appear to have good form on that catch. He caught it in stide and didn't seem to bobble it, but from that pic it seems he got lucky.

And yes, Shanky was talking about "Soccer" football. I always loved the passion of the quote though!
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 11:50 PM

I didnt see Urlacher for most of the game and I love that kid. Bears used to practise on my college field occasionally in my college days in Lake Forest and when they moved to the new facility that just happened to be down the street from my night classes at Depaul.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode