Bears vs. Lions Recap - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Bears vs. Lions Recap

Roy Williams guarantee didn't matter much to the Chicago Bears who demolished the Lions by the score of 34-7 at Soldier Field today. The Bears took a 24-0 lead into the locker at halftime on three TD passes by Rex Grossman and a 32 yard field goal by Robbie Gould. The second half was rather uneventfull but the Lions did score the only TD allowed by the Bears so far this year on their opening drive. Grossman added another TD pass to TE John Gilmore to seal the deal in the third quarter. Brian Griese finished the last few series of the game after the outcome was not in doubt.

ON OFFENSE:
It's all about the OL, QB and TE positions today. The OL didn't allow a single sack against a very talented DL from Detroit. They also gave Rex plenty of time to throw the ball. Rex took advantage of his OL play to go 20/27 for 289 yards and 4TD's with no picks. Rex did throw one pick six that was nullifed by a penalty on Detroit. Catching the majority of the TD passes was the tight end position where Des Clark and John Gilmore combined for 93 yards and 3TDs. Des picked up several key 3rd downs and caught a 31 yard TD strike and was wide open over the middle most of the game.

The WR's also played very well today with Bernard Berrian making a highlight reel catch on a 41 yard TD bomb reminescent of his TD catch last week against GB. Moose came up big with two nice 3rd down catches to keep drives alive. Rashied Davis also had an excellent 31 yard reception.

The running game was a little slow today but Jones and Benson did run hard all day and their running opened up the play action for Rex. The combined for 89 yards on 31 carries.

ON DEFENSE:
The Bears turned in one of their bend-don't-break performances. They gave up a lot of yards but stiffened when on their half of the field and came up with several big plays when needed. The Bears forced three fumbles and recorded six sacks. The entire DL played great today and reserve Tank Johnson had a standout game with pressure up the middle every play he was in. The secondary looks soft in coverage when Chris Harris is in the game, rookie Daniel Manning got more playing time today and it looks like he is going to be starting before the season is over.

No worries on this D as they are doing exactly what they need to do right now. Look for them to turn in even bigger games when the offense stalls against tougher opponents.

ON SPECIAL TEAMS:
Robbie Gould is quietly becoming the most clutch kicker for the Bears since Kevin Butler. He connected on his only two tries of the day and recorded three touch backs on his kick offs today. Kickers are often forgotten when they are doing their job, but they can also lose games for a team. The Bears have to feel good about Gould right now.

Devin "The Windy-City-Flyer" Hester was held in check today. He certainly tried to make things happen, but Detroit was very disciplened on their coverage unit and Hester failed to break any returns. He also looked like he was playing high school ball on one return where he backed up and reversed course twice on the same return.

OVERALL:
Detroit was supposed to be a much better team than GB after they played well against Seattle last week. The Bears dominated in every area of the game today. The Bears are going to start getting a lot of attention around the league if they keep winning games like this. They face their biggest matchup so far next week when they play the 2-0 Vikings. I predict a 24-10 Bears victory!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 05:30 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

DA BEARS!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
i'd like to recap that I had cadillac club level tickets. good times.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few
How you found us: SBN

love how we're passing downfield. That fact we're also completing them is amazing. 3rd down is no longer an automatic end of the drive. The old Bears game plan of run, run, pass, punt is nowhere to be seen

we might actually have a real football team in Chicago

Eric
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
i should have called roy williams and made a wager with him on the game, I coulda made a fortune off that sucka. his early antics didnt last long.

Chris
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 05:56 PM
Woo Woo

Sportbike: None for now
Years Riding: 6
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to ZoomByU
This is going to be a very exciting season.

"There are no men more ignoble or more foolish, no men whose actions are fraught with greater possibility of mischief to their country and to mankind, than those who exalt unrighteous peace as better than righteous war." - Theodore Roosevelt
"I will bleed on the flag to keep the stripes red!"
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 05:59 PM

Sportbike: 07 GSX-R 600
Years Riding: 6 yrs
How you found us: friends

Send a message via AIM to mkurgan
i sat sec 115 6th row AWESOME seats for face value...man what a game
the bears were moving the football downfield beautifully
fun game

NESBA #17 (I)
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 06:22 PM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Read this thread for fun what a difference a month makes.

https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...ighlight=bears

Notice I did not call for Griesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 07:00 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Flinchy-Great recap.

As I said after the the GB game I might of wrote it up a little different and shorter.

Kinda like this:

Lions got pwned!

That is all.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 07:22 PM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
being at the game, it was a very excited crowd.

Flinchy, I have a question?

Watching the Lions today, they looked like a very poorly coached team, alot of penalties, bad decisions, etc. Green Bay was very similar with an aging Brett Favre making bad decisions under pressure...

Comming up against the Vikings, Brad Johnson probably won't have those problems, I am assuming he isn't going to make mistakes. Granted, he might not have the talent in positions that Detroit does, however, nobody could be coached worse then Detroit was today. The vikings defense is tough. Detroit's secondary is terrible. Rex made several throws off his back foot and made some very threading the needle type throws that I fear against a better secondary he might get burned.

Your thoughts?

I listened to WGN radio on the way home, and a comment was made that with the performance by Rex the last two games, the team has confidence in him, and being a young QB in the league he is going to make mistakes, but the team will back him moving forward.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 07:42 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
It's always especially gratifying to soundly shut the mouth of an underperforming bust of a first round pick who happens to have a big mouth, as well as greasy fingers

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Lovin this Twin

Sportbike: 05 SV1000S, Wide Glide, DR350
Years Riding: 1/2 hour then it rained
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooligan
The Bears only weakness is the defensive backs.....Am I alone seeing that ?

Man to man is very weak and the cushion they give is way to loose.

Drives me nuts!

This is gonna hurt!
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 08:00 PM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
They face their biggest matchup so far next week when they play the 2-0 Vikings. I predict a 24-10 Bears victory!
Bring it on bitches! B-Rad and company are gonna be waiting for ya!

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 08:09 PM
Joe Momma...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
Your thoughts?
my thoughts are that the Bears are going to get served next week!

hope you're ready for some shit talking this week

Quote:
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan

Drives me nuts!

That is how the cover two works you keep the receiver in front of you to take away the big plays.

The technique is to pass the receiver with the safety over the top.

It is not one on one press coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 09:09 PM

Bears looked really good today. Its nice to see Rexy start to get some chemistry with various folks who are catching. I like the fact that hes moving around to diff targets. I would like Moose to get more of the balls but whatever generates wins. Minn in Minn will be tough and a real good test to see how they do, altho they(Minn) got away with one today. Only thing I would ask for is a better running game showing for the whole game, but other than that they are looking good. That one hit the Bear(I forget who it was) just killed a Detroit guy while the Bears were returning a kick...HULLLO !! What a shot ! Lets hope overconfidence doesnt become a factor and they keep putting points up on the board. Good luck in MN !
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 09:41 PM
RIP Shawn 1986-2007

Sportbike: Honda Shadow vt 1100
Years Riding: 4
How you found us: Member

Awesome Gam

Man I was really hoping for a shut out but they played pretty darn good. I am loving the fact that we can pass the ball this year. it really opens up a lot of options for the bears. They are still the same smash mouth football team they always were but now you better watch downfield because if the ball is in the air the recievers are going to catch it. there were some great catches today as well as last sunday.

I love the fact that rex has more than moose to throw to.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 09:42 PM
RIP Shawn 1986-2007

Sportbike: Honda Shadow vt 1100
Years Riding: 4
How you found us: Member

GO BEARS!!!!! 2-0 great start both division games doesn't get any better
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 09:47 PM
Grammaton Cleric

Sportbike: 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
Years Riding: Since 07-01-2001
How you found us: Google, I believe

Send a message via AIM to MrBusa Send a message via Yahoo to MrBusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan

Drives me nuts!
No I see it, same as last year and if I was a coach, I'd exploit it.

-- Matthew --

"I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in the Universe" - Jango Fett
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
being at the game, it was a very excited crowd.

Flinchy, I have a question?

Watching the Lions today, they looked like a very poorly coached team, alot of penalties, bad decisions, etc. Green Bay was very similar with an aging Brett Favre making bad decisions under pressure...

Comming up against the Vikings, Brad Johnson probably won't have those problems, I am assuming he isn't going to make mistakes. Granted, he might not have the talent in positions that Detroit does, however, nobody could be coached worse then Detroit was today. The vikings defense is tough. Detroit's secondary is terrible. Rex made several throws off his back foot and made some very threading the needle type throws that I fear against a better secondary he might get burned.

Your thoughts?

I listened to WGN radio on the way home, and a comment was made that with the performance by Rex the last two games, the team has confidence in him, and being a young QB in the league he is going to make mistakes, but the team will back him moving forward.
About Rex:
He's a young player he will make some mistakes. He's also very accurate and has a strong arm. He will make some great plays. Rex is feast or famine right now, but I think Turner is smart enough to go with him while he's hot and turn to the running game when he gets cold. Look how he got more conservative in GB after the INT. Rex will be just fine.

About the Cover 2:
There's a lot of misconception about the Cover-2. Truth is that the Bears don't really run the Cover-2 most of the time. It's just the media that likes to hype the system. Cover 2 really just means how the safteys and CB's run their coverage responsabilities. The Bears switch to man coverage quite often during running downs. When you do see a big cushion, that is usually Cover 2, but not always and the Bears CB's, especially Vasher, like to give cushion and jump short routes for INT's. They have enough faith in their Safeties that if they get burned, it won't be for a TD.

Minnesota is playing very good football right now. They beat two good teams in Washington and Carolina and both games were close games. Minnesota also has a LOT more talent on the OL than either Green Bay or Detroit. Our DL has feasted in the first two games, but GB's line is terrible and Detroits line is just average. That being said, Minnesota does not have any play makers at the skill positions. Brad Johnson, Troy Williamson and Chester Taylor do not strike fear in defensive coaches. I think next weeks game is going to come down to playmakers. If our LB's and secondary can come up with picks and strips, then it could be another blow out game. So far Urlacher, Briggs, Vasher and Mike Brown have been pretty quiet because our DL has been dominating. Next week they will get the chance to step it up and show everyone why this is the best defense in football. I don't see Minnesota putting more than 13 points up against us.

Minnesota is not much better than Detroit defensively. Minnesota has some good young talent, but they have faced Washington with an injured Clinton Ports and Carolina without Steve Smith so don't make book on how good their defense is just yet. I'd look for the Bears to pound the rock more than they did against GB or Detroit. If Jones and Benson can move the chains, the play action will open up again for Grossman. If Grossman can go 14/19 for 150 yards and 1TD and they can get 120 yards and a score on the ground, it will be enough for the Bears to win. Special teams also favors the Bears at this point as both Devin Hester and Rashied Davis have looked very dangerous this year.

I still think 24-10 Bears. Moose and TJ get TD's. Defense or Special teams gets a score and Gould adds a FG. Minnesota gets a score from Williamson or a pick six from the defense and one Longwell FG.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:08 PM

Bears only have to worry about Seatle and Miami, other than that it is the superbowl year Da BEARS!!!!
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Joe Momma...

Quote:
I still think 24-10 Bears. Moose and TJ get TD's. Defense or Special teams gets a score and Gould adds a FG. Minnesota gets a score from Williamson or a pick six from the defense and one Longwell FG.
ok mr confidence, how about a little wager? Vikings win you set your avatar to the Vikings insignia until the kick off of the next bears game. If the bears win I'll do the same with the bears insignia.

Quote:

Last edited by JoJo; 09-17-2006 at 10:25 PM.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:25 PM
Joe Momma...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm
Bears only have to worry about Seatle and Miami, other than that it is the superbowl year Da BEARS!!!!
Dude the bears have beat GB (the worst team in years, they lost to the freaking saints!) and the "so close to scoring fourty points a game" lions. Put down the blue and orange kool aid!!!

Quote:
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo
ok mr confidence, how about a little wager? Vikings win you set your avatar to the Vikings insignia until the kick off of the next bears game. If the bears win I'll do the same with the bears insignia.
I'll take that action Mr. Spaceghost. Don't get me wrong, I like the team Minnesota has on the field right now. They are SO much better coached than last year, their OL is VERY good and their D is better than average. They could grab a wildcard berth this year with the way the NFC is shaping up right now. I just don't see the Bears playing poorly when they have a chance to start 3-0 in the division.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm
I wouldn't go that far just yet. We play a BRUTAL three game road stretch against the Giants, Jets and the Patriots. All three teams are playing good football right now and I'd be VERY happy if the Bears came out of that stretch with 2 wins. Buffalo is playing tough D right now so they are going to be a threat. Arizona is young, but they have a passing offense that will give us fits if we don't get LOTS of pressure on Warner. San Fransicso is showing signs of life with Frank Gore running the ball well.

I think the Bears are in for a 10-6 or 11-5 season which should easily win the NFCN and possibly give them a first round bye. I think they have a shot at making the Super Bowl this year, but they are going to have to stay healthy and the running game is going to have to be there once teams start gameplanning Rex. So far Rex has shredded two defenses that were stacked up against the run for the most part.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 10:14 AM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

And they still get no respect from the press.

Oh, I think the Vikings will put more points on the board. 21-17 Bears over the Vikings. Emotionally it is an important game for the Bears and I think they are up for it, but the Vikings will not go down easily.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runner
And they still get no respect from the press.

Oh, I think the Vikings will put more points on the board. 21-17 Bears over the Vikings. Emotionally it is an important game for the Bears and I think they are up for it, but the Vikings will not go down easily.
Most of the NFL experts were on the Bears Jock today. Rex playing so well and the TE and WR's making catches are the pieces they were looking for. Let's hope they keep it up!
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 09:09 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Amen Brother!

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode