Bears vs. Vikings Recap - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Bears vs. Vikings Recap

The Bears squeaked out a win in Minnesota by the score of 19-16. Minnesota played a very good game of football and just about went mistake free up until 3 minutes left in the game. After picking up a first down on some good running by Melwede Moore and some terrible tackling by just about every LB and Saftey on the Bears, the Vikings Brad Johnson fumbled the ball while handing it to Chester Taylor on the next play and gave the Bears hope while down 12-16. Rex led a 5 play 37 yard TD drive capped by a 24 yard pass to Rashied Davis to take the lead with 1:53 left on the clock. The defense held strong on the next posession to close out the game.

On Offense:
Minnesota was determined to bring pressure on Rex Grossman all day and they succeeded with a variety of blitz packages. While the protection was fairly decent, Rex forced two bad throws that resulted in 2 INTs and 10 points for the Vikings. He did move the ball fairly well, but the O stalled near the redzone on several drives. He finished the night 23/41 for 278 yards 1TD 2INTs. Not his best performance by far and definately a step in the wrong direction. If not for his last minute scoring drive, Rex would be the goat for sure.

I am VERY surprised the Bears didn't run the ball more. Thomas Jones got all 18 of the carries and managed only 54 yards. The Bears should have known this would be a tough game and committed to the running game. Instead, they came out throwing and ran just enough to keep the play action honest. I think it was a terrible mistake that almost cost them the game. Jones didn't look very strong tonight and spent too much time dancing and looking for cutbacks instead of running hard to the hole.

The receivers did a decent job of getting open quickly, but on several plays they were out of synch with Rex on hot reads. That kind of miscommunication could have hurt the Bears much more than it did today. Moose had a big day catching 9 balls for 118 yards but it was Rashied Davis who gets the star for the winning TD catch. Tight end Desmond Clark left the game in the first half with what looked like either a hamstring or a pulled groin. Hopefully, he won't be out too long as he was on fire entering todays game.

Overall, i think the play calling and the penalties are the biggest problems from todays game. The passing game continues to look good, but Rex has got to stop forcing plays and just take the sack or throw the ball away. We are good enough to win without scoring on every drive.

ON DEFENSE:
The D went another game without allowing a TD (the Vikings scored a TD on an INT return), but did give up a good chunk of yardage and three field goals. The stat line is misleading though, as the play of all the LBs and secondary was very suspect today. Poor tackling and blown assignments were rampant and must have been driving the coaches crazy. If it wasn't for the stellar play of the DL again, this game could have been a lopsided win for Minnesota. The D should be working overtime on tackling drills after todays game.

The DL on the other hand played another great game against one of the best OL's in the league. Brown and Ogun were getting decent pressure all night, but the guys in the middle were really getting upfield. They only recorded one sack, by Tommie Harris, but they were pressuring Johnson all game. The DL was about the only bright spot for the team.

ON SPECIAL TEAMS:
Robbie Gould connected on all four of his FG attempts and has not hit 9 in a row. His 49 yard FG in the fourth was a key kick under a lot of pressure, but it was right in the middle of the uprights and plenty long enough. Devin Hester was a non-factor with three punt returns for 12 yards. Rashied Davis had a nice 35 yard kick-off return to start the Bears first scoring drive.

OVERALL:
This was an ugly game for the Bears both coaching and playing. The poor play selection and the poor decision making by Grossman on offense could easily have cost them this game. The poor tackling and blown assignments on defense also could have done them in. They also were hit with a lot of penalties early in the game, but did settle down in the second half. The amazing bright spot of the game, is that we played so badly and still won the game. Both sides of the ball got the job done when the game was on the line and that is a mark of a good team. The biggest test of the season happens next week when Seattle visits. Seattle is red hot after scorching the Giants for 42 points. I think the Bears have a chance to win this game, but most likely I see Seattle winning 20-16.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 06:53 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Bad decisions, poor coaching at times, but ultimately a win...which is the mark of a good time. Grossman looked really shakey at times BUT it was really nice to see his confidence stay intact and make a good throw when it counted.

Lucky indeed, however, to have won this one. I was very upset through a lot of the game

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 07:14 AM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

I had the a bunch of family over for the game yesterday, and it was a relief that I didn't have to beat the gf and her father to death (they're both Minnesota fans ) A bears loss surely would have resulted in living room takedowns. At one point I was ready to launch a jar of mayo through the livingroom window.

A lucky win for sure. Great to start off a season with 3 wins in the division.

When's the last time you saw Urlacher wiff on a tackle?

Last edited by Dirtbiker; 09-25-2006 at 07:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 09:02 AM
Puppy Love!

Sportbike: 05' Gixxer 6
Years Riding: Grew up in the dirt, going on my 7th season on the street..
How you found us: Homer Simpson

Send a message via AIM to Gixx Send a message via Yahoo to Gixx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker
I had the a bunch of family over for the game yesterday, and it was a relief that I didn't have to beat the gf and her father to death (they're both Minnesota fans ) A bears loss surely would have resulted in living room takedowns. At one point I was ready to launch a jar of mayo through the livingroom window.

A lucky win for sure. Great to start off a season with 3 wins in the division.

When's the last time you saw Urlacher wiff on a tackle?
Oh god, if their were Viking fans in my house cheering on the Vikings this game, I think I would have seriously gotten upset and told them to leave.

Anyway, good game to watch, one minute I would be cussing, the next cheering! I'm glad Rex was able to pull out the 4th quarter TD, because if he had not done so, the critics would have been all over Rex, and how he was only good against bad teams. Next week game will be another tough one for us, the Seahawks looked really good yesterday, and it's going to be close. Hopefully Lovie can work with Rex on his little problem he has with just being sacked The Seahawks picked off 3 of Mannings passes yesterday.

KJ

Quote:
I'm here to chew some bubble gum, and kick some ass.......and I'm all out of bubblegum!!
MySpace
XBox Live - Gixx009
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixx
Next week game will be another tough one for us, the Seahawks looked really good yesterday, and it's going to be close. Hopefully Lovie can work with Rex on his little problem he has with just being sacked The Seahawks picked off 3 of Mannings passes yesterday.
Seattle could be a blow out if we don't get the running game going and Rex plays like he did yesterday. Lovie and Turner had better remember that we can win games by pounding the rock and playing defense. Against a team like Seattle, we need to be more conservative and try to wear their defense down.

The good news is that Seattle is a little weak on the inside of the OL and that could make for a monster day from Harris, Scott and Tank Johnson. If we can get to Hasselback early then he might start making some poor decisions. I think Seattle is going to give us a heavy dose of Shaun Alexander and then try to burn us on play action when our safeties start biting.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 09:16 AM
-+-+-+-+-+-

Sportbike: 2002 YZF-R1
Years Riding: A few days since yesterday
How you found us: Another website

It was a hard game to get into. The refs were out of control on both sides. You couldn't go 3 plays without a penalty being called.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode