Cubs to sign Lou Piniella - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2006 R6 Raven
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: ChicagoIlivewithmymomriders.com

Cubs to sign Lou Piniella

Just heard this on the radio at lunch about 15 minutes ago...

It's looking like the Cubs are gonna sign Lou Piniella as early as tomorrow morning.

I was suprised and pissed: I wanted Girardi. Lou seemed disenterested in the job. He said he wants to go to a team that is going to win NOW. Not in 2 years. Not in 3 years...NOW, which makes him sound like a veteran manager who's gonna sit on his ass and not be creative and innovative like Girardi.

Joe Girardi has proven that he can take a lackluster team and make it competitive.

Lou was saying that he won't go to a team that isn't World Series worthy for 2007.

So the question is: What do the Cubs have up there sleeve for next year? They had to have revealed something to Piniella to entice his ass over to the Cubs.

The guy on The Score is calling the Piniella signing (over Girardi) a WIN NOW move.

Book of my Fuh-Zayce

Gotta DANCE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/m...=.jsp&c_id=chc

Book of my Fuh-Zayce

Gotta DANCE!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few
How you found us: SBN

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I hope he proves me wrong, but he is a major boob the few times I've seen him broadcasting

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Ex-Ninja

Sportbike: 04 Yamaha R1
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to whitedawg Send a message via Yahoo to whitedawg
Cubs to still suck

Yep, it's gonna happen, with Lou or Girardi. However, they have a better long-term chance with Girardi at the top. Lou Pinella is not worthy of coaching a World Series team IMO
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 05:29 PM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

I think it was not a good move for the Cubs. As others have suggested, Girardi a better choice. And the cycle of losing continues

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 05:30 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

I will watch the Cubs now just to see Lou go batshit insane.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Cubs Suck!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 06:04 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Another case of the manager being the show and not the team...they hired a name, not necessarily a choach. Ole Lou's a true baseball man, but i just don't see the fit. I wanted Girardi, not cause he was an ex-Cub, not cuz he "understands" the Cub way, but because he's a heck of a coach and takes no shit...Lou's kinda the same way I suppose, but my vote was for Girardi.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 06:13 PM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
I like Lou, I would've been ok with Joe but Lou was my top choice. We're still gonna suck though

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 09:14 AM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

I like Lou on the north side.

We have a team of mostly young guys that need to, and will accept the beratings that Pinella will lay on. It's part of learning big league baseball.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 09:40 AM

Don't like the move. Really don't like Lou. Girardi would have instituted a lot of rules and made this team come together. I don't really see Lou doing that, he's just Dusty Baker V. 2.0.

If he brings us A-Rod and we don't have to give up Aramis, Lee, or Zambrano I won't care though.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerkMX
Another case of the manager being the show and not the team...they hired a name, not necessarily a choach.
Agreed. With his prima-donna attitude that he was spouting the last few weeks, I thought for sure Piniella would never get hired. He kept saying "I will not sign with a team that's not going to win next year" What a princess! Sounds like he doesn't wanna WORK and TRY. Hell, he's Lou Piniella. EFFORT is for the Girardi's in this business.

I wonder if they'll give him a throne to sit on in the dugout.

Book of my Fuh-Zayce

Gotta DANCE!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Ex-Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowass
Agreed. With his prima-donna attitude that he was spouting the last few weeks, I thought for sure Piniella would never get hired. He kept saying "I will not sign with a team that's not going to win next year" What a princess! Sounds like he doesn't wanna WORK and TRY. Hell, he's Lou Piniella.
I wonder if they'll give him a throne to sit on in the dugout.
Wow, if you replace Piniella with Eli Manning, and Girardi for Peyton Manning, it's like the same thing!!! Oh yeah, and replace dugout with sidelines...
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 09:55 AM
a hollow voice says plugh

Sportbike: sold
Years Riding: legally- 7
How you found us: don't remember

Send a message via AIM to Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkZX6R
Don't like the move. Really don't like Lou. Girardi would have instituted a lot of rules and made this team come together. I don't really see Lou doing that, he's just Dusty Baker V. 2.0.

If he brings us A-Rod and we don't have to give up Aramis, Lee, or Zambrano I won't care though.
Lou Piniella is anything but Dusty Baker v2.0. Some of his tantrums are legendary and he'll hold his players accountable for their actions and performances. Baker had no fire at all ("Aw, dude that was a bad call.") and was too busy trying to be the veteran players' friends. Dusty couldn't manage his way out of a wet paper bag.

I'm anything but a Cubs fan so I really don't care who they hired. It's odd that Lou wants to win NOW and the Cubs don't really seem like they're on track for greatness-- unless they promised him they'll aggressively try to sign free agents. Sure, the NL Central is weak as balls- but still.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 10:00 AM

I agree that it sounded all along like Piniella didn't even really act or sound like he wanted to come to the Cubs. Seems like he's just looking for a paycheck.

If all managers wanted a guaranteed trip to the World Series, there would be a bunch of teams without managers.

I still maintain that ANYONE is better then Baker.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 10:24 AM
The Sausage king

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: Since my mid-life crisis
How you found us: Hankered for a hunka cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerogta
Lou Piniella is anything but Dusty Baker v2.0. Some of his tantrums are legendary and he'll hold his players accountable for their actions and performances. Baker had no fire at all ("Aw, dude that was a bad call.") and was too busy trying to be the veteran players' friends.
+1.

Lou Piniella is the Anti-Dusty. Where Dusty was laid back, and that worked for the veteran team Dusty got in 2003, it didn't work with all the rookies he had in 2006. Lou will definitely kick ass and hold the guys accountable. He is know as a manager that stresses fundementals and the Cubs have allways been week in that area. I can't remember the last time an outfielder hit a cut off man when there was going to be a play at home. Anyway, I would have liked Girardi or Piniella since they seem to be the same type of tough guy manager, but let's face it, Girardi is still wet behind the ears when it comes to managing and the Cubs (Hendry with 2 years left on his contract) need to win now or next year, not in 5 years.
Piniella saying he only wants to go to a team that is going to win now should be applauded. I don't want a manager that comes in and says, "I'd like to win in about 5 years.....or whatever." That seems like a guy that's only here for a paycheck.
Regardless of who they would hire, I'm a Cubs fan and I hope that Sweet Lou can get the job done. Now, let the wheeling and dealing start......they need to get some quality players on the field.

And its a done deal:
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/m...=.jsp&c_id=chc

Da Bears!
Ducati
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Lou Piniella is anything but Dusty Baker v2.0. Some of his tantrums are legendary and he'll hold his players accountable for their actions and performances. Baker had no fire at all ("Aw, dude that was a bad call.")
This is probably why the Cubs looked like they weren't even trying anymore. When you tune into a game and see 3 throwing errors in one inning, that tells you no one cares anymore. Piniella woulda had 'em all hanging by their balls in the dugout after that one. I'm starting to see your point.

Book of my Fuh-Zayce

Gotta DANCE!
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelohere
Piniella saying he only wants to go to a team that is going to win now should be applauded. I don't want a manager that comes in and says, "I'd like to win in about 5 years.....or whatever." That seems like a guy that's only here for a paycheck.
A much better perspective on his statements than I had. I hope you're right. If so, I'm starting to like Piniella more already (and all in one thread! )

Book of my Fuh-Zayce

Gotta DANCE!
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 10:39 AM
teets

Sportbike: teets
Years Riding: teets
How you found us: teets

Send a message via AIM to Flounder
We're getting A-Rod, Soriano... keeping Aramis. Might have to trade Zambrano to get A-Rod(bad idea). We'll just be another Yankees team with lackluster pitching who looks good on paper but probably won't even make it into the playoffs! I think they are trying to approve a 140 mill payroll this year. We'll have some money to spend... but in all the wrong places. Pitching is the key to the series, but the Cubs are looking to just awe fans by signing big hitters.

teets
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder
Pitching is the key to the series, but the Cubs are looking to just awe fans by signing big hitters.
The story of the Cubs summed up right there.

Book of my Fuh-Zayce

Gotta DANCE!
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Ex-Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder
We're getting A-Rod, Soriano... keeping Aramis. Might have to trade Zambrano to get A-Rod(bad idea). We'll just be another Yankees team with lackluster pitching who looks good on paper but probably won't even make it into the playoffs! I think they are trying to approve a 140 mill payroll this year. We'll have some money to spend... but in all the wrong places. Pitching is the key to the series, but the Cubs are looking to just awe fans by signing big hitters.
Definately agree...Not just because of ex-Yankee players, but what the hell do you need a $25 million a year player for on a team that sucks so bad...I think they're hoping that with Lou and some extra heavy hitters, they'll all just kinda come together b/c they need a huge improvement on their team. But you're right, they need pitching. I'm a Sox fan and I can tell you right off how much bad pitching kills a team (like all our relievers this year). Anyways, hopefully they'll do good this year, but it will look weird seeing Lou in a Cubs uniform
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:01 PM

One of the sports stations reported Hendry (or some other Cubs exec) himself said signing pAy-Rod will generate an extra $10 million in revenue- in turn making him a $15 million/year player. So that means they've at least discussed it (bringing him to the Cubs).

Good pitching beats good hitting (especially in the playoffs) and the Cubs need all the pitchers they can get. There's no way ARod would go to the Cubs without the Yankees getting Zambrano (their only reliable quality starter) in return.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:04 PM
The Sausage king

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowass
A much better perspective on his statements than I had. I hope you're right. If so, I'm starting to like Piniella more already (and all in one thread! )

I hope I'm right too, you just know Piniella isn't gonna put up with mental errors and business as usual at Wrigley.
Anyone know what number he wears, I want to get the jersey....

Da Bears!
Ducati
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:07 PM
The Sausage king

Quote:
One of the sports stations reported Hendry (or some other Cubs exec) himself said signing pAy-Rod will generate an extra $10 million in revenue- in turn making him a $15 million/year player. So that means they've at least discussed it (bringing him to the Cubs).

Good pitching beats good hitting (especially in the playoffs) and the Cubs need all the pitchers they can get. There's no way ARod would go to the Cubs without the Yankees getting Zambrano (their only reliable quality starter) in return.
Definitely. The Cubs should be focused on signing or trading for starting pitching since all they have right now is Big Z and Rich Hill. I don't think you can count on Prior; and Wood may not be back.

Da Bears!
Ducati
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

Right on Flounder. The best offense is a good defense, which equals pitching. We won't be able to do anything without a fleet of good pitchers. We should give up on Wood and Pryor and weigh heavenly of scouts to find the up and coming stars. This is one of the reasons the Marlins do so well. I believe A-Rod would do well here also. He sucks at pressure situations, there is no pressure to play well in the Cubs organization, so he would be fine. If he were on the Sox, it would be a different story. Either way, if we have to give up Zombrano for him it isn't worth it, we need to keep all of our good pitchers.

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 05:21 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode