Nascar Steroids - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Chicagoland Sports Corner Here is the forum to talkabout Sports, sports and only sports. The latest lines, scores and sports news.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Nascar Steroids

Jet fuel addatives too bad it is going to hurt Toyota.
Waltrip Apologizes for Role in Scandal
Thursday February 15, 12:06 pm ET
By Jenna Fryer, AP Auto Racing Writer
Michael Waltrip Apologizes for His Team's Role in NASCAR's Biggest Cheating Scandal

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- Michael Waltrip apologized Thursday for his team's role in NASCAR's biggest cheating scandal, saying he was so embarrassed he almost pulled out of Daytona 500 preparations.

ADVERTISEMENT
click here
The two-time Daytona 500 winner, who lost two key crew members Wednesday when NASCAR penalized his team for using a fuel additive, said he had to be talked into racing by his wife and Toyota officials who are seething that Waltrip tainted their Nextel Cup debut.

"I didn't want to damage the integrity of the sport further by going out there and having people think, 'What's he doing out there?'" Waltrip said. "I came real close to not running today."

Waltrip needs to race his way into NASCAR's premier event in a qualifying race Thursday.

After his car failed inspection Sunday, Waltrip said he was devastated when his 9-year-old wondered why her father had cheated.

"That will hurt you pretty bad," Waltrip said. "I'm ready to bear all responsibility for what happened. You can't hurt me any worse than I am right now."

Waltrip's team was one of five busted for breaking the rules before the season opener -- the sport's most significant crackdown on cheating and a clear message the sanctioning body no longer will tolerate teams breaking the rules.

"It's been rough on everybody; we're here to celebrate a race," said NASCAR competition director Robin Pemberton. "Instead, we're busy dealing with all of this."

Waltrip's crew chief and team director were suspended indefinitely after a fuel additive was found during inspection. But Waltrip, docked 100 points, will be allowed to participate in Thursday's races that determine the field for the 500.

"I don't think we'll ever put this behind us, but we'll try to do better in the future," Waltrip said.

David Hyder, his crew chief, was thrown out of the garage and fined $100,000 -- the largest monetary fine in NASCAR history. Team director Bobby Kennedy also was kicked out. Scott Eggleston, who guided Waltrip to his 2001 Daytona 500 victory, will serve as Waltrip's crew chief.

Waltrip blamed an unidentified individual or individuals within his team, adding that no one had been fired.

"We haven't fired anyone, nor do we plan on firing anyone until we know what happened," he said. "We're aggressively trying to find out what happened."

He emphasized Toyota had nothing to do with his team's actions.

"This is my fault," he said. "You can't be skeptical of Toyota. You have to look straight at me."

Waltrip started his own three-car team this season with Toyota. The Camrys have struggled with speed since January testing. The cars he fields for Dale Jarrett and David Reutimann both passed inspection. Jarrett is assured a spot in Sunday's race because he's a past series champion; Waltrip and Reutimann must race their way in Thursday.

"We feel that Michael did a more than adequate job of explaining his feelings to NASCAR, to the fans and to Toyota about what transpired. Obviously, we're disillusioned," said Toyota motorsports spokesman Les Unger. "We share in the team's disappointment. But we feel that Michael is an individual of high character, and both he and we will move forward. We wish him all the best in today's qualifying race."

Waltrip's penalties came one day after the crew chiefs for 2003 champion Matt Kenseth, Kasey Kahne, Scott Riggs and Elliott Sadler all were suspended. All five drivers also were docked points in an unprecedented move by NASCAR, which never before had taken points before the season.

NASCAR officials would not reveal what they found in Waltrip's intake manifold, but a person with knowledge of the investigation told The Associated Press it was a property contained in jet fuel. The person requested anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the details.

Although Waltrip is still trying to figure out exactly what happened, he acknowledged teams aren't supposed to mess with the fuel.

"In theory, it was supposed to hop the fuel up and make the car go faster," Waltrip said. "It didn't work. It's not supposed to be there. It's pretty plain and simple. You don't do those things. I thought everybody knew that."

Pemberton said only that the substance was not jet fuel itself.

The substance was found during Sunday's inspection. Adding the substance, described by NASCAR as an oxygenate, would boost the octane in the fuel, thus making the engine run better at higher horsepower.

Pemberton said the substance was discovered when a NASCAR official reached his hand into the manifold to feel for loose parts.

Some rival team members said they thought NASCAR should have taken away more points from Waltrip's team, because in a sport where cheating is common, tampering with the fuel is a major no-no.

The last penalty NASCAR issued for a fuel-tampering violation was harsher than Waltrip's. In May 2000, driver Jeremy Mayfield and team owner Michael Kranefuss each was penalized 151 points for a fuel-related violation found at Talladega Superspeedway.

"Throughout the garage area I think everybody knows you don't mess around with tires, you don't mess around with the engine, the restrictor plates," Pemberton said. "Those things are very taboo."

AP Auto Racing Writer Mike Harris and AP Sports Writer Chris Jenkins contributed to this report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 11:36 AM
CLSB RESIDENT REDNECK!!!!

Sportbike: Used to have a 2001 Honda CBR 600 F4i Red/Black
Years Riding: 9 Years on n off
How you found us: SBN

I have alot of respect for Waltrip as a person, unfortunately he sucks as a driver, so I have to believe someone did this behind his back. That suck though

Mark

2001 F4i Red/Black ( She Gone )
2003 GMC Sierra Z71 Pewter
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteSeatEnvy View Post
lol It's even typed in redneck!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is based on a true story: Chuck Norris once swallowed a turtle whole, and when he crapped it out, the turtle was six feet tall and had learned karate.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 11:50 AM

Black Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4iDog View Post
I have alot of respect for Waltrip as a person, unfortunately he sucks as a driver, so I have to believe someone did this behind his back. That suck though
+1

I don't think he knew but who's to say. Plus, his skills as a driver are weak. I think he's only around because of Earnhardt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 11:58 AM

I don't know if it's that or if it's because of D.W.

Mark

Quote:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is based on a true story: Chuck Norris once swallowed a turtle whole, and when he crapped it out, the turtle was six feet tall and had learned karate.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 12:02 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

It's just bad luck for him.

His team got busted for what every team has probably been doing for decades. No team goes out theire to get second, and if the winner is cutting corners, you damn-well have to as well.

This is no different that the Baseball-steriods crap.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Is he the one that sounds like a flamer?

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 12:07 PM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
They do this just to stir up controversy. NASCAR is all about cheating and how you define cheating. If everybody played by the rules every race would be as boring as restrictor plate races.

Ian
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 12:19 PM

I actually like restrictor plate races.

Mark

Quote:

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 12:54 PM

Red Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Is he the one that sounds like a flamer?
Yes.

I too have wondered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Racing View Post
They do this just to stir up controversy. NASCAR is all about cheating and how you define cheating. If everybody played by the rules every race would be as boring as restrictor plate races.
So you're saying the President of NASCAR and his crew do this for publicity and thus condone particular kinds of cheating? Guess you missed the other thread talking about howl NASCAR is basically too popular. So popular that they're, in some opinions, killing the market for other types of races as well. I doubt they need to do that homey.

Plus restrictor plate races are kool. I actually like a race with no crashes. Just race and let's see endurance and skills! (like me w/my lady )

Last edited by Loki_D_Wolf; 02-15-2007 at 01:01 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 12:58 PM

Sportbike: XB12R, H1, TTR125
Years Riding: I still have some money left...
How you found us: old member

They got busted. Easy way to tech for it via checking the intake manifold. Wondering what they put in exactly that would leave the residue on the intake. Butane or something. Oxygenates aren't octane boosters necessarily either. They wanted to jam something in there to make more power.

Driver doesn't have all the responsibility at this level. It's a business and ultimately you delegate. And stuff happens. Big penalty though. You can figure that no one is going to be trying that one anytime soon.

"Super" Dave Rosno

Team Visionsports Racing
Super Dave's Race Against Childhood Cancer
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 01:04 PM

Sportbike: XB12R, H1, TTR125
Years Riding: I still have some money left...
How you found us: old member

hmmmm....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triethylborane

"Super" Dave Rosno

Team Visionsports Racing
Super Dave's Race Against Childhood Cancer
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 01:42 PM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
I think the "highly corresive" part might limit its use on anything aluminum like intake manifolds.

Ian
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 01:56 PM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

was it a residue they found, fromthe way it's written it almost sounds like they found a device of some kind in the manifold.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4iDog View Post
I actually like restrictor plate races.
+1 With other forms of racing, the team with the most money wins the race. MotoGP, Formula One, often the rider or driver simply has to have a good start and the race is done. Everyone can turn off the TV and check the results online. In these races, the lead will change 20 + times. All of the cars are so close in ability, drafting and teaming up with your rivals is the only way to get to the front of the pack.

As for the cheating, it is a serious problem. When the cars are this close in ability they are looking for any advantage to get them a few more horses, etc. What sucks are the penalties for the cheating. Similar to football, Nascar is not serious about stopping this cheating. If they were, they would black flag all of the cars involved, but the sponsors and fans would go ape shit, so they let them race; too much money involved to stop them from racing, so they lay these week hand smacking crew chief suspensions to appease the sponsors.

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 02:26 PM
Administrator

I say instead of crew chief penalties, embarrass the drivers, for a set number of races they shold have to paint their car like a rainbow for gay pride.

oh wait, one driver already does this, never mind

- Ronald Reagan

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 08:58 PM

Sportbike: 07 gsxr1000
Years Riding: started at 7 sportbike a few
How you found us: buddy

That would be funny if they made them paint in gay pride, I think it might open the flood gates for all those gay formula 1 guys to come out of the closet ' big disaster in nascar , maybe even another civil war ,if this ha
ppened ALL joking aside cheating has always been part of racing
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 09:00 PM

They should cut his hands off to set an example. Maybe they'll stop trying to cheat??
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 09:40 PM

Gimme 5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm View Post
They should cut his hands off to set an example. Maybe they'll stop trying to cheat??
No, but it'll definitely stop them from racing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode